• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stone vs Fenner

Started by neds, January 16, 2017, 02:32:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

neds

General Lee

Thanks!  This actually got started by someone stating that Fenner was the best shooter in 3A in another thread, so I said I would take Stone in that matchup.
I've personally never seen Fenner but he sounds like the real deal for sure.  I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him come post season though.
I have however seen Stone a lot and he is on pace for the best season in Riverside history.  And there have been some studs roll through!  He has always been a good player but he has stepped his game up big time this year and it's paying off in spades for the team.  He can break anyone down off the dribble if they try to pressure him but if you give him a step he has a lightening quick pull up game or blows on by to finish.  He elevates on his 3's, so he can get one off with very little space.  He has great court awareness and consistently finds open men when other teams commit more than one to him.  He passes the ball almost too much for me but that's him, he want's to get the whole team involved because he knows that's who he's going to have to count on to make a run come playoff time when those teams get tougher and the coaches get better, they will try to shut him down. I'm guessing but I'd say he's averaging 25 per with 6 or 7 assists??  Around 5 or 6 40 plus games. 
So there's a basic run down of him in my opinion obviously.  I really have no idea if he's a better player or shooter, big difference by the way, but I wouldn't have any trouble going out on a limb with Stone in either category. 

870baller15

Stone also spends way more time on baseball than he does basketball. Just imagine if he played AAU ball all summer. Ridiculous.

NeaBaller21

This is the X Factor in the argument in my opinion ^^^

RedWolf275

Stone is the Rebels primary ball handler and I think Fenner is a shooting guard. A friend who saw Fenner in 3a finals last year told me he was outstanding. Both are great players.

ZoneBuster

How do they compare size wise?

RedWolf275

Stone is about 6'0 and I believe I've read where Fenner is 6'4"

Paperman

Fennel hands down! Stone is pretty darn good though!

Rebelfan77

Quote from: Paperman on January 18, 2017, 07:17:04 am
Fennel hands down! Stone is pretty darn good though!
He did play pretty good last night for being sick and dehydrated. Cant imagine what he would have done if he was at 100%. Paperman how many times have you seen him play?

HogWild25

Fenner is high school good, talent will not translate to college. While he has Steph Curry range with the basketball, his shot is not the quick release and high arch of Curry. He almost pushes the ball from his chest. While this can still dominate the smaller competition of Western Ark, it would not bode well against anyone with length. He has to shoot from deeper than most to generate the separation needed to get the ball over the defender. Stone may not have the range of Fenner, nor the basketball drive, being an outstanding baseball player too, but Stone has the quick release, and being shorter, also is the better ball handler of the two.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: HogWild25 on January 18, 2017, 09:31:58 am
Fenner is high school good, talent will not translate to college. While he has Steph Curry range with the basketball, his shot is not the quick release and high arch of Curry. He almost pushes the ball from his chest. While this can still dominate the smaller competition of Western Ark, it would not bode well against anyone with length. He has to shoot from deeper than most to generate the separation needed to get the ball over the defender. Stone may not have the range of Fenner, nor the basketball drive, being an outstanding baseball player too, but Stone has the quick release, and being shorter, also is the better ball handler of the two.

I'm assuming that's a big reason why he's not got a ton of "big" offers. Sounds like a little work and adjustment to shooting stroke could make him a really good D2 player. I'm sure he will work hard to be the best he can be.

HogWild25

Quote from: ZoneBuster on January 18, 2017, 09:49:01 am
I'm assuming that's a big reason why he's not got a ton of "big" offers. Sounds like a little work and adjustment to shooting stroke could make him a really good D2 player. I'm sure he will work hard to be the best he can be.

Word on the street is the best offer he has gotten is from Lamar College in Texas.

General Lee

Lamar University I presume, That's a good offer! Maybe he'll get a few more come in with the season he's having.

Longfellow

Last I checked, Lamar University is D-1. So yeah that's a pretty good offer

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Longfellow on January 18, 2017, 12:27:01 pm
Last I checked, Lamar University is D-1. So yeah that's a pretty good offer

Ah, yes. That's great!

smallybells

Quote from: General Lee on January 18, 2017, 12:15:57 pm
Lamar University I presume, That's a good offer! Maybe he'll get a few more come in with the season he's having.

May or may not, nothing to do with him either. Some of these 3A conferences are extremely hard to get any kind of exposure in. I don't know the kids summer circuit history, but the right ones can do more than any HS ball can at the lower levels. Heck, I went to school with a guy that was committed to UCA back in the day after he had taken the school to the state quarter and semi finals in back to back years. One night one of Ole Miss' scouts happen to be coming back from somewhere else and by luck decided to take in a local ball game. He saw the kid shooting the lights out, called Rob Evans from the pay phone in the lobby and the rest is history.

3rdpartyperspective

Unless Fenner has offers that haven't been publicized, these are all the offers he has so far.

1)   Waldorf University --- NAIA --- Iowa
2)   Des Moines Area Community College –- JC ---- Iowa
3)   Neosho County Community College --- JC --- Kansas
4)   Fort Scott Community College --- JC ---- Kansas
5)   Angelina County Junior College ---- JC --- Texas
6)   Iowa Central Community College --- JC ---- Iowa
7)   NorthArk Community College ---- JC --- Arkansas
8)   Indiana Institute of Technology ---- NAIA ---- Indiana

Hog-fan

How do they compare academically?  A) Do they have the grades to get into college and B) if so, do they have the skills to stay academically eligible.  There have been many great high school players who simply could not 'make the grade' to move on to the next level.

strongandsteady

Why hasn't any local d2 schools offered him such as OBU or HSU.

chuckBB

Does anybody know his ACT score?

smallybells

February 02, 2017, 09:38:19 am #20 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:41:27 am by smallybells
Quote from: chuckBB on February 01, 2017, 07:17:21 pm
Does anybody know his ACT score?

I'm sure Bigman does, he lives with him. I don't think even he would plaster something like that on a message board though  ;D

BigMan15

Hes got a combined 69! So he can play but its not a flashy score!

cdelaney

Bigman- First let me congratulate you on your restraint on the board about some of the misguided and inappropriate comments about Brandon. Why people get on here and knock HS kids I will never know. Your son has obviously worked very hard on his game, he has great talent and dedication. His improvement every year has been "remarkable", to use an EC$ term,  and he will be a productive college player wherever he ends up. And I can tell he enjoys the game.
Second, I hate it when people start asking about grades and test scores on FF. Let it play out, folks. Last year it was Reaves and his academics being questioned, but there he is at a D1 school.  Rumors don't mean anything.
Finally, even though I don't want to know what his scores are, I've never seen an ACT score reported that way- usually the composite is from 18-low 30's.

smallybells

February 02, 2017, 12:02:00 pm #23 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:08:44 pm by smallybells
Quote from: cdelaney on February 02, 2017, 11:17:04 am
Finally, even though I don't want to know what his scores are, I've never seen an ACT score reported that way- usually the composite is from 18-low 30's.

That was my reaction, not sure if it was sarcasm or maybe he added the sections instead of an average. Either way I am in total agreement with you on the latter half of your statement, the only people that need to be concerned with an ACT score are the people recruiting him.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: cdelaney on February 02, 2017, 11:17:04 am
Bigman- First let me congratulate you on your restraint on the board about some of the misguided and inappropriate comments about Brandon. Why people get on here and knock HS kids I will never know. Your son has obviously worked very hard on his game, he has great talent and dedication. His improvement every year has been "remarkable", to use an EC$ term,  and he will be a productive college player wherever he ends up. And I can tell he enjoys the game.
Second, I hate it when people start asking about grades and test scores on FF. Let it play out, folks. Last year it was Reaves and his academics being questioned, but there he is at a D1 school.  Rumors don't mean anything.
The 18- low 30's would be the scores in the individual subject areas. Mine ranged from 18-31.

RedWolf275

The national average composite score is 20.8. Arkansas average is 20.2.
Perfect score is 36.

BigMan15

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 02, 2017, 11:01:52 am
Hes got a combined 69! So he can play but its not a flashy score!
a combined score is just like it sounds. Some colleges go by the combined instead of composite. Although to clear up rumors he scored a 17.

Rebelfan77

Why is it anyone's business what either of these boys ACT scores are? Let them be and enjoy their Sr year!

xadboy

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 02, 2017, 08:25:26 pm
a combined score is just like it sounds. Some colleges go by the combined instead of composite. Although to clear up rumors he scored a 17.
Being from Lamar, I will have to say Brandon is a good kid. Really enjoy talking to him when I have. He will make whatever college coach he chooses a very happy man. Also will make Bigman a very proud dad as well. We wish him and teammates good luck during the rest of the season and like you said a Ctown vs Lamar state finals would be exciting.

zebra73

Stone kid in the Jonesboro sun. Wow. He's killing it. Can't wait to what he does with baseball. Having a heck of senior year.

RedWolf275

Article said he was averaging 24.7

KingFootball

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 02, 2017, 08:25:26 pm
Does he have any four year schools looking big man?  I've seen only juco offers.  He could contribute at a big school IMO.

BigMan15

Brandons got tons of interest from 4 year schools including
Lamar
NC A&T
Usc upstate
Liberty
Maine
Kansas State
East Tennesse St
Jacksonville St
UAFS
Harding
ECU
Southern Arkansas
Iona
North Dakota State
Nyack
Abilene Christian
Texas A & M CC
Southern Miss
Indiana Fort Wayne
Eastern Illinois
SMU
Cornerstone

Longfellow

I can't remember, but I think it's Indiana Fort Wayne that has a very good coach. Would be an excellent program to play for

870baller15

Stone broke  Riversides single season scoring record tonight

General Lee

Stone with 40 tonight! How many did Fenner end up with?

curiousgeorge

General Lee

Very nice game! Becoming pretty clear who the best two players in the state are. Be a dandy if we could get a Charleston vs Riverside matchup.

smallybells

Let's not get carried away, lol. There are kids in the upper classifications that are going to major D1 programs that would disagree with your statement.

BoxNOne

I'm thinking he meant best two players in 3A, at least that's the way I read it.

teachers pet

February 23, 2017, 09:04:22 am #40 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:37:27 am by teachers pet
I would say the two best scorers in 3A, some teams have multiple scorers and the points are spread around plus best players involve defense and all around play.

dentist15

February 23, 2017, 09:25:50 am #41 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:10:39 am by dentist15
Quote from: teachers pet on February 23, 2017, 09:04:22 am
I would say the two best scorers in 3A, some teams have multiple scores and the points are spread around plus best players involve defense and all around play.

Excellent point. Though Fenner can also do a very good job of opening things up and creating for teammates, just by virtue of opposing defenses always focusing on him, and he also does a pretty good job of finding the open man for the easy shot when he's having a slow night shooting (though that is pretty relative for a someone who shoots as good as he does).

Based on RedWolf's below comment, sounds like Stone can do plenty more than just score too.

NeaBaller21

Watch Stone play and you'll figure out very quick he's much more than just a scorer.

RedWolf275

He had 8 steals and 7 assists to go with 40 points last night!

870baller15

Stones quick hands are a nightmare for opposing point guards

BigMan15

Weird that you say that about them being just scorers! Fenner averages almost 10 rebs and 3 steals and 3 asst per game!

Rebelfan77

I've said this before, but how can you compare 2 kids when you've never seen both of them play?

BigMan15

For sure! I just know Stone and Fenner both have put up huge numbers this year and that is a direct result of why both teams are top 5 teams!!

General Lee

This is a 3A topic so I was assuming that everyone knew I was talking about that classification! I'm no idiot, believe me I know there are plenty of kids in the upper classifications that are better than these two.
You can compare both of these kids because they are two of the top players in the state and we've all heard plenty about both of them. It should be taken as a compliment to even be mentioned in this conversation.

teachers pet

How many points did Fenner get against Jessieville?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas