• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorites for next Year?

Started by PA Dad, December 11, 2016, 09:19:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

This will be discussed endlessly over the next 8 months, but let's get it started.

Winning four in a row is very rare, but at this point I think PA is the favorite to do it.  PA loses its best offensive lineman, best defensive lineman, best defensive back, and best running back.  Every year I look at what PA loses and say they can't be as good next year.  And every year I'm wrong.  They will be very good next year.

Who are the challengers? 

I know Wynne returns many starters next year.  They are good every year and next year will be no exception.  I think they will, once again, be the primary challenger to PA.

Batesville is always there in late November.  If they can escape the injuries next year, they will be there again.

I don't know who Alma and Morrilton have coming back, but I expect both to be very good again next year.

Sylvan Hills and LRCA should both challenge in Central next year.

I don't know who any of the South teams have back next year.  I hope the South is much stronger next year than it was this year.

It's a long off season.

PA Dad

As an aside, I found this interesting.  Layne Hatcher has started at QB at PA since the sixth grade (we recruited him early!).  In six years, he has lost one game(Salt Lake City East this year).  He has also won the state wrestling championship the last two years.  The kid is a competitor.

MDXPHD

His sisters have several state championships in soccer and basketball from when they played at CAC. Very athletic family.

Also, every three year starting qb  coming through PA has won state their senior year, correct?

The Future

That rare 4 peat is elusive. There have been some great teams fall short of it. But PA is just as good as, if not better, than any of them so they definitely have a shot.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2016, 09:41:00 pm
His sisters have several state championships in soccer and basketball from when they played at CAC. Very athletic family.

Also, every three year starting qb  coming through PA has won state their senior year, correct?

I actually can't remember a three year starter at QB at PA.  Knighten and  Hefley didn't start until they were juniors.

Maynard, you're the PA history guy.  Has there been a three year starter?

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2016, 09:46:09 pm
I actually can't remember a three year starter at QB at PA.  Knighten and  Hefley didn't start until they were juniors.

Maynard, you're the PA history guy.  Has there been a three year starter?

Maybe I'm off on that. So the quarterbacks that started more than one year have always won state their senior year maybe? I thought I read some statistic about that.

I believe hatchers older sister won 3 straight in basketball at CAC. Competitive family I bet.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2016, 10:00:26 pm
Maybe I'm off on that. So the quarterbacks that started more than one year have always won state their senior year maybe? I thought I read some statistic about that.

I believe hatchers older sister won 3 straight in basketball at CAC. Competitive family I bet.

Until last year, PA had never won a championship without a two year senior starter at QB.  That may be what you are referencing.

walkingguy72396

I believe Wynne will be in the hunt again.  A year for the Jacket sophmores to grow.  I believe that's the class next year's slot backs will spring from.  I think they will end up being bigger and faster than this years edition.  I also think the ends might actually get thrown to next season.

I think the East playoff teams will be.
Wynne, Batesville,Valley View, Nettleton.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2016, 10:03:57 pm
Until last year, PA had never won a championship without a two year senior starter at QB.  That may be what you are referencing.

That's probably it. Thanks. Did knighten lose in the championship? Was that against Shiloh and Frazier?

PA Dad

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 11, 2016, 10:07:28 pm
I believe Wynne will be in the hunt again.  A year for the Jacket sophmores to grow.  I believe that's the class next year's slot backs will spring from.  I think they will end up being bigger and faster than this years edition.  I also think the ends might actually get thrown to next season.

Do you think Wynne will run the same offense next year?

PA Dad

Will #7 be back next year for Wynne?  He is a beast.  Good size, great power and good speed.  I held my breath every time he got the ball.

walkingguy72396

My best guess is yes.  The Flex Bone will be used again.  Since all the lower grades are running the flexbone and Wynnes returning QB best fits well in that role. 

walkingguy72396

7 Hicks is a Junior.  He should be back.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 11, 2016, 10:09:00 pm
That's probably it. Thanks. Did knighten lose in the championship? Was that against Shiloh and Frazier?

Knighten won the championship in 2011 as a senior.  That was, in my opinion, the best team PA has ever had.  That team had 7-8 D-1 players.

And, in my opinion, Knighten was the best QB at PA ever.  He was a true dual threat and had a great head for the game.

PA Dad

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 11, 2016, 10:32:06 pm
7 Hicks is a Junior.  He should be back.

That's really bad news for the rest of 5A.  He is a man among boys.

Yellowcake

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2016, 10:36:26 pm
Knighten won the championship in 2011 as a senior.  That was, in my opinion, the best team PA has ever had.  That team had 7-8 D-1 players.

And, in my opinion, Knighten was the best QB at PA ever.  He was a true dual threat and had a great head for the game.

Best QB ever, and best team ever. I agree.  It was Hunter's junior year and they beat malvern  in The finals game. It was the year they mercy ruled Cabot and Fayetteville turned off the scoreboard in the preseason scrimmage. Because of what it said.

PA Dad

Will Blytheville be down next year?  I guess I expect them to be better every year than they turn out to be.

walkingguy72396

I
Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2016, 11:15:21 pm
Will Blytheville be down next year?  I guess I expect them to be better every year than they turn out to be.

I just think those 21 points that Clark provided on long break away runs.
Will be gone.  I'm also going by the Batesville and Forrest City games this past season.

In other words its a guess.

bigchief72455

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on December 12, 2016, 07:03:25 am
I
I just think those 21 points that Clark provided on long break away runs.
Will be gone.  I'm also going by the Batesville and Forrest City games this past season.

In other words its a guess.
It is also hurting Blytheville because of their shrinking attendance numbers. They will be in the 4A soon.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 11, 2016, 10:52:12 pm
Best QB ever, and best team ever. I agree.  It was Hunter's junior year and they beat malvern  in The finals game. It was the year they mercy ruled Cabot and Fayetteville turned off the scoreboard in the preseason scrimmage. Because of what it said.
Without a doubt on both points. That PA team was one of the best HS teams in Arkansas state history. Fredi was an unstoppable HS QB.

That team was so good I look at these PA teams the last few years and almost wonder how they won state by comparison.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 12, 2016, 02:41:06 pm
Without a doubt on both points. That PA team was one of the best HS teams in Arkansas state history. Fredi was an unstoppable HS QB.

That team was so good I look at these PA teams the last few years and almost wonder how they won state by comparison.

I know. 3-4 d-1 players are boring to watch compared to 7-8.

Jimmy1995

McClellan of course!  Lost superstar Pierre Strong, but returning basically the defense and basically the offense is the same, without Pierre and dalvion

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 12, 2016, 03:00:08 pm
I know. 3-4 d-1 players are boring to watch compared to 7-8.
I did not expect you to grasp nuance.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 12, 2016, 08:03:40 pm
I did not expect you to grasp nuance.

You're really fond of me these days.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Jimmy1995 on December 12, 2016, 07:58:01 pm
McClellan of course!  Lost superstar Pierre Strong, but returning basically the defense and basically the offense is the same, without Pierre and dalvion

I had no doubt jimmy would say McClellan! I bet the central will be solid from top to bottom again?

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 12, 2016, 08:25:38 pm
I had no doubt jimmy would say McClellan! I bet the central will be solid from top to bottom again?

Of course!  Fair and Mills will be great next year!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 12, 2016, 08:26:41 pm
Of course!  Fair and Mills will be great next year!

Didn't mills have a decent team a few years ago? I vaguely remember them being better than what they typically are.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 12, 2016, 08:28:45 pm
Didn't mills have a decent team a few years ago? I vaguely remember them being better than what they typically are.

If so, it's been a good while.  I can't remember them having a good team.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 12, 2016, 08:25:38 pm

I think McClellan, Sylvan Hills, and LRCA will have pretty good teams next year.  I'd give the edge to LRCA,

They have good talent and will have more experience next year.

Jimmy1995

Quote from: PA Dad on December 12, 2016, 08:41:29 pm
I think McClellan, Sylvan Hills, and LRCA will have pretty good teams next year.  I'd give the edge to LRCA,

They have good talent and will have more experience next year.
Haha McClellan till the end!  But I agree with PA Dad,  I give a edge to PA and LRCA over McClellan. We will have to prove ourselves next year.

AT

Mills had a decent team in 2013. Alma beat them in the quarterfinals.

Alma loses a bunch of key pieces:

QB - Noah Dotson

Entire offensive line...even the backups.

Defensive line.

The trenches are going to have to be moved around and worked with some. It's always scary to have no experience up front, but hopefully we find a way.

Dotson is a big loss, but it's hard to feel BAD about getting a kid in Garrison Jensen who has played ample time and has led a game winning drive against Conway as a sophomore.

People will just have to step up. Don't think Alma will be the favorites next year. Not sure who. Morrilton loses quite a bit, but moves up a good 9th grade group. Harrison doesn't lose as much and moves up a good 9th grade group. Not sure what Greenbrier was like in seniority. Burcham was a senior correct?

Farmington will have to prove they are over the hump before I say it. I don't see Clarksville getting there yet. Vilonia? Who knows about Vilonia.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 12, 2016, 11:03:54 pm
Mills had a decent team in 2013. Alma beat them in the quarterfinals.

Alma loses a bunch of key pieces:

QB - Noah Dotson

Entire offensive line...even the backups.

Defensive line.

The trenches are going to have to be moved around and worked with some. It's always scary to have no experience up front, but hopefully we find a way.

Dotson is a big loss, but it's hard to feel BAD about getting a kid in Garrison Jensen who has played ample time and has led a game winning drive against Conway as a sophomore.

People will just have to step up. Don't think Alma will be the favorites next year. Not sure who. Morrilton loses quite a bit, but moves up a good 9th grade group. Harrison doesn't lose as much and moves up a good 9th grade group. Not sure what Greenbrier was like in seniority. Burcham was a senior correct?

Farmington will have to prove they are over the hump before I say it. I don't see Clarksville getting there yet. Vilonia? Who knows about Vilonia.

Ouch!  I had no idea Alma was losing so much.

But, I'll be very surprised if Alma is not in the mix next year.  Like Batesville, they always seem to be there in late November.

the voice

December 13, 2016, 05:39:37 am #32 Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:04:23 am by the voice
Morrilton loses their QB , they have one returning who got lots of snaps throughout the season and is a talented young man. There's the freshman who many will crown the starter day one. He led many 4th qtr drives last year to end the season undefeated .

They'll lose their top two receivers, those two had great high school careers. Certainly not to take anything away from them but others will step up. We will be more than fine there. With returning talent and incoming group , no worries about playmakers. Incoming group has five Criswells on it I think.

Will lose a three year player on the offensive line , the rest will return. Definitely miss his leadership there.  Lose the leader of defense at a middle backer , couple of edge players , who made lots of plays but also split time. Secondary loses a  safety. 
And losing defensive lineman who was a three year player. Several players rotated on defense.

Morrilton will reload not rebuild the next few years. The talent is there , skill players and linemen. It'll be an exciting team to watch. 

MB Hog

Quote from: PA Dad on December 11, 2016, 09:19:09 pm
This will be discussed endlessly over the next 8 months, but let's get it started.

Winning four in a row is very rare, but at this point I think PA is the favorite to do it.  PA loses its best offensive lineman, best defensive lineman, best defensive back, and best running back.  Every year I look at what PA loses and say they can't be as good next year.  And every year I'm wrong.  They will be very good next year.

Who are the challengers? 

I know Wynne returns many starters next year.  They are good every year and next year will be no exception.  I think they will, once again, be the primary challenger to PA.

Batesville is always there in late November.  If they can escape the injuries next year, they will be there again.

I don't know who Alma and Morrilton have coming back, but I expect both to be very good again next year.

Sylvan Hills and LRCA should both challenge in Central next year.

I don't know who any of the South teams have back next year.  I hope the South is much stronger next year than it was this year.

It's a long off season.
Is the offensive lineman you are talking about Luke Jones?  If so, he was just a Junior this year.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MB Hog on December 14, 2016, 11:25:29 am
Is the offensive lineman you are talking about Luke Jones?  If so, he was just a Junior this year.
I assumed he meant Seth Martin

MB Hog

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 13, 2016, 05:39:37 am
Morrilton loses their QB , they have one returning who got lots of snaps throughout the season and is a talented young man. There's the freshman who many will crown the starter day one. He led many 4th qtr drives last year to end the season undefeated .

They'll lose their top two receivers, those two had great high school careers. Certainly not to take anything away from them but others will step up. We will be more than fine there. With returning talent and incoming group , no worries about playmakers. Incoming group has five Criswells on it I think.

Will lose a three year player on the offensive line , the rest will return. Definitely miss his leadership there.  Lose the leader of defense at a middle backer , couple of edge players , who made lots of plays but also split time. Secondary loses a  safety. 
And losing defensive lineman who was a three year player. Several players rotated on defense.

Morrilton will reload not rebuild the next few years. The talent is there , skill players and linemen. It'll be an exciting team to watch.

It sounds like Morrilton has some holes to fill, but has a good core of returning players.  It's always fun to see who steps up to fill the holes.  Someone usually does.

PA Dad

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 14, 2016, 11:52:49 am
I assumed he meant Seth Martin

I actually meant Luke although I wouldn't argue if either was called the best.  I thought Luke was a senior.  I'm glad I'm wrong.

AT

Alma returns some key members of the secondary, some key linebackers, and our best wide receiver/athlete.

Plus, we had a really good sophomore who was hurt all year who will step up next year. He is basically the sophomore's class best athlete in every sport and got hurt before football.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 14, 2016, 09:51:27 pm
Alma returns some key members of the secondary, some key linebackers, and our best wide receiver/athlete.

Plus, we had a really good sophomore who was hurt all year who will step up next year. He is basically the sophomore's class best athlete in every sport and got hurt before football.

I think losing both offensive and defensive lines is probably the biggest concern.  They're not the "stars", but they are the anchors.

playmaker04

December 16, 2016, 11:18:50 am #40 Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:24:35 pm by playmaker04
Wouldn't be surprised to see PA and Wynne again. Wynne returns arguably the best back in 5A in Hicks and maybe the best D-lineman in 5A in Jessup. Out of the 6 All-State players for Wynne 4 are Jrs. And PA,well their just loaded.

Chief_Osceola™

Maumelle could be pretty good the next 2 years, depending on who comes back from this year's team and if we get any back that didn't play this year.  We were really, really young this past fall.

tmycjy

Here my to 8 for next year

1. PA
2 Wynne
3 sylvan hills
4 alma
5 batesville
6 Watson chapel
7 LR Mc Clellan
8 LR Christian

Here some honable mentions could go deep if get right seed

Forrest city
White Hall
Blytheville
HS Lakeside

PA Dad

Quote from: tmycjy on December 17, 2016, 05:53:36 pm

1. PA
2 Wynne
3 sylvan hills
4 alma
5 batesville
6 Watson chapel
7 LR Mc Clellan
8 LR Christian

Forrest city
White Hall
Blytheville
HS Lakeside

I think that's a good list.  I'd put LRCA over Sylvan Hills, but otherwise I agree.

FD4

Whether or not Wynne is going to be there, (in the hunt), next season will depend on what type of coach we end up with.  There is no guarantee the next HC will run anything like the Flexbone.  However, I would not expect to see a move too far away from that type of game that could feature the option.  If it were mine to run, I would run the Single Wing with a shift to the Pro I.  I would never ever line up in a no back spread, ever.  My DC would have two options at defense.  3/4 and 5/2, outside of that, we would play zone coverage and I would keep a constant pressure on the opposing QB every snap.  Safety, Corner, Monster....so on,  on every down for those teams that like to spread you out.  Defense at the high school level is not up with the offense these days anyway.  You have to think outside the box.

We should be good, but it will be a wait and see thing for now.  There are some powerful coaches out there that rumor has already tossed around.  Some like the split back veer, some run the spread.  Who knows.  As for the east, never count Blytheville out of the playoffs.

the voice

Quote from: tmycjy on December 17, 2016, 05:53:36 pm

1. PA
2 Wynne
3 sylvan hills
4 alma
5 batesville
6 Watson chapel
7 LR Mc Clellan
8 LR Christian

Forrest city
White Hall
Blytheville
HS Lakeside

You forgot Morrilton.

Also I'm hearing not many are excited about replacing hill.  They'd rather replace his replacement. Lots of expectations for next year. I heard AD doesn't want job.  A couple on staff have applied. I'm not sure how much of that is accurate as I'm not in the know there.

FD4

Been hearing the same stuff also, but, it all has to go through the process and we should know by the end of the month or so.  No matter what goes down, we will have one heck of a backfield to work with.  Got some of those big old corn fed boys in the trenches too.

the voice

Quote from: FD4 on January 03, 2017, 11:19:36 am
Been hearing the same stuff also, but, it all has to go through the process and we should know by the end of the month or so.  No matter what goes down, we will have one heck of a backfield to work with.  Got some of those big old corn fed boys in the trenches too.
Wasn't sure if any of it was accurate. Lots coming back no doubt

oldjacketman

Your pressures would be limited only playing zone while blitzing. Could never send 6. Sending 5 on a blitz and playing zone would limit u to pretty much cover 3...you better get there or be torched!

IAFLAR7

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 11, 2016, 10:52:12 pm
Why not schedule someone like Fayetteville or NLR in a real game??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas