• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another season come and gone

Started by The Future, December 11, 2016, 02:56:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

It wasn't the quickest season I've seen, but the 2016 campaign went by pretty fast. Lots of great games, big plays, eyebrow raising upsets, and it all ended with a first ever (under current format) championship for a greatly improved Russellville team.

Reflecting back on the season, what sticks out in your mind? What games did you attend that youll never forget? Who really impressed you or disappointed you? Who do you think will be able to knock off the champs next season? Who all has who returning?

My post season final top 10:
1. Russellville 12-1 State champs. Cyclones always have the talent and Coach D was the right guy to fit that talent into a championship power. We'll see what year 3 holds for the Dawson era.
2. Greenwood 12-1 State runner ups. Another great season with another disappointing championship loss. The first of 2 D1 QBs will graduate and play college ball while the senior to be Noland along with senior to be RB Wood will look to lead a team littered with returning soon to be juniors back to the Rock and hopefully a championship. Note: Hales is now the first D1 QB under Jones to graduate without winning a state championship.
3. Pine Bluff 8-3. Zebra's 4 year championship appearence streak snapped at Greenwood with a 1 point loss. Whoever is returning or leaving, a Bolding coached team is a dangerous team.
4. Benton 8-5. A 5 loss season typically isn't a tremendous season, but Benton had good run to the semifinals, beating East power and favorite Jonesboro in the second round. Other than a slip up week 9 to Lake Hamilton, Benton met expectations.
5. Jonesboro 9-2- A 2 point slipup kept Joneboro from finishing 10-0 and then a surprising showing from Benton kept a preseason favorite Jonesboro team from making a championship run. I could see swapping Benton and Jonesboro, but due to the head to head, I'll keep the Hurricanes at 5.
6. Searcy 7-5- Started off hot with 5 wins followed by 4 losses but 3 of which were Marion, Pine Bluff, and Jonesboro.
7. Lake Hamilton 6-5- Wolves can get some wins, but haven't been able to get it done come playoffs.
8. El Dorado 6-6- Cats weren't the usual top caliber team. But just like Bolding, a Reed team knows how to play to win when it counts.
9. West Memphis 7-5. 3way issues in the East with Marion, West Memphis, and Searcy keeps the polls interesting.
10. Marion 5-6. Same as above.

Just trying to get some discussion topics in. Its a long time til September

admorris24

The Benton/Jonesboro game was probably the game of the year with Benton scoring with 30 seconds to go up 56-52 and then having to hold of JB in the final seconds.  I think I had 3 heart attacks while at that game.  Then got manhandled by a great RV squad, who was even better than when we lost to them in week 4.  Benton loses 26 seniors, so next year will be an interesting on for Coach Harris, but a good group of freshman and sophs coming up that combined to go 18-3 the last 2 years.

bulldogger15

"2. Greenwood 12-1 State runner ups. Another great season with another disappointing championship loss. The first of 2 D1 QBs will graduate and play college ball while the senior to be Noland along with senior to be RB Wood will look to lead a team littered with returning soon to be juniors back to the Rock and hopefully a championship. Note: Hales is now the first D1 QB under Jones to graduate without winning a state championship."

You had better take out the part about Hales being the "first D1 QB under Jones to graduate without winning a state championship." Did you clear this with the Wizard of OzWood before you posted this blasphemy? Why would you single out just ONE of Greenwood's D1 QB's? Are you really Bulldogger15?

Very interesting how things work out sometimes The Future. Very interesting indeed...

GO BULLDOGS!!!

The Future

I'm very glad I read your post on the BOLO thread before reading your post here. Or else I woulda been more confused than every Seahawks fan when Lynch shoulda ran it. Wizard of OzWood. Plus 1 for originality lol.

I didn't check with the Wizard of OzWood but seeing how full his plate is with lions, tigers, and bears, I figured he'd be chill with it.

Wasn't meaning to "single him out". Was just pointing out that yes even though he ranks up there with the best Greenwood QBs, it stings that he and his classmates weren't able to get a ring. But hey thats football.
Noland last I checked still has one more year left, therefore, still has another shot at a ring. So there was no need to include him in my post.

But hey its good to hear from you and to know youre back and youre A-OK...ish    ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas