• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne vs Pulaski Academy 5A State Championship

Started by AIREDALE25, November 25, 2016, 08:51:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins this?

Wynne
68 (64.8%)
Pulaski Academy
37 (35.2%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: December 02, 2016, 10:43:25 am

Grond

CHESS VS.......HAMMER
The PA coaches are usually "playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers." In other words, they play smart, and react quickly to the game situation.

But Wynne has gone with a play system based on speed and power. They are bringing a sledgehammer to a chess game. Rather than "out think" PA, the Wynne coaches are going to use the natural athleticism that seems to "pop up out of the ground" in Wynne.

The Wynne coaches saw this after the 2014 loss to PA. Well played, gentlemen.  ;)

IN DEFENSE OF THE WYNNE DEFENSE
There have been some comments that might suggest that Wynne's defense is below average. This is certainly NOT the case.

If anything, Wynne's defense is more dynamic than in the past; lot of different looks. PA will get points (as I said earlier, PA will "get theirs"), but there will be some success by Wynne on D. Will it be enough for the Wynne offense to take advantage of?

WEATHER, OR NOT
A Big Factor in this game may be the weather. A 10 degree temp drop (high 48) and rain will affect the passing game.

Being from the 5A east, I am rooting for Wynne; but I felt PA would figure a way to win. It is hard to pick against the team with a sledgehammer.

walkingguy72396

MDXPHD

EarlTheSnakeWhite

November 29, 2016, 02:43:55 pm #103 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:57:13 pm by EarlTheSnakeWhite
Coming from a Forrest City fan's prospective, Wynne needs to get a little better on defense or they will not beat PA. I think PA's defense is a very underrated unit. People predicting Wynne to go down the field and score with ease have not seen PA play this year. PA's offense is like a well oiled machine when they get in rhythm. They just keep coming at you and there is almost nothing you can do about it. Wynne's offense will bring more of a smash mouth game to the Bruins which I think could be very affective in keeping PA's offense off the field. A low scoring battle is anyone's game, but a shootout favors the Bruins. I think it will be a great battle to the end. Not sure who I am pulling for, but I give the edge to the Bruins.

PA 42 Wynne 30

JacketDad

If I were a Bruin fan I would be concerned about the Wynne offensive line.  Numerous times Friday night I saw our line push the WC defense back a good 6 to 7 yards.  Anytime we were 3rd and short we could run the QB up the middle and it seemed no one would touch him till he was 5 yards down field.  I haven't seen PA play this year but I hear their defensive front is small.  If this is the case it could be like the old days of 4 yards and a cloud of dust.  May be that the first defensive stop will have a very good advantage.

Overdahill

Quote from: JacketDad on November 29, 2016, 04:06:01 pm
If I were a Bruin fan I would be concerned about the Wynne offensive line. Numerous times Friday night I saw our line push the WC defense back a good 6 to 7 yards.  Anytime we were 3rd and short we could run the QB up the middle and it seemed no one would touch him till he was 5 yards down field.  I haven't seen PA play this year but I hear their defensive front is small.  If this is the case it could be like the old days of 4 yards and a cloud of dust.  May be that the first defensive stop will have a very good advantage.

wow, no wonder you put up 77!

MDXPHD

I think PA's defensive front is one of their strengths.

One thing I just remembered about last week: coach Kelley impressed me when he got all over one of the players. I remember which player, but I won't name him. The reason he got all over him was because the defensive player made a pretty good play, but immediately got up and boasted a little...telling the crowd to get up and into the game. Waving his arms at the crowd. Kelley jumped all over him, I assume telling him to just play the game and focus on what's happening on the field. It's refreshing to see coaches teach kids some lessons these days. (And you won't hear me complimenting PA very much!!)

JessieP

November 29, 2016, 05:55:21 pm #107 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:58:04 pm by JessieP
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 04:17:18 pm

One thing I just remembered about last week: coach Kelley impressed me when he got all over one of the players. I remember which player, but I won't name him. The reason he got all over him was because the defensive player made a pretty good play, but immediately got up and boasted a little...telling the crowd to get up and into the game. Waving his arms at the crowd. Kelley jumped all over him, I assume telling him to just play the game and focus on what's happening on the field. It's refreshing to see coaches teach kids some lessons these days. (And you won't hear me complimenting PA very much!!)

Well said. 5 day's out and I still can't get over PA's class. Zero taunting, Zero boasting. I had based my opinion on PA based on social media, big mistake. Wynne's OL is stout, PA plays a smart swarming defense but they are not overly physical. I still think the best way for PA to win this game is passing. I was shocked by how weak Wynne's DB's are. We were unable to exploit that because our QB had Wynne players in his face all night. The few times the Pioneers were able to get outside against Wynne it was for good yardage. The corners are undersized and not very athletic. It's not been an issue because Wynne's front 7 is incredible. If PA can give the QB time he will pass for monster yards. PA's running back is tiny, the epitome of a scat back. Very fast and shifty but Wynne won't let him slip away the way we did.

Another myth that was shot out of the water for me was that PA recruits. People have been saying for years that they go around the State and offer football studs free tuition. If that's true they are getting ripped off. I saw no one on that team that looked like a ringer. In fact I thought Batesville had more athletic players. PA is just a very well coached team. In fact I only saw 2 players on PA that I would say are D1 Power 5 type players. That number 5 is stout, all round solid player. And the huge OT has some skills, let's face it if the good lord blesses you with 6'6 and you play football chances are your not paying for college. I'm sure they have a few others that will play on Saturday but your talking Lyon College or Henderson State type schools. PA is not loaded with studs, they are simply a well oiled machine. I can't stress enough how impressed I was with them.

PA will always be in a game, I really want them to win. If weather is a factor and it turns into a grind it out smash mouth game it could get ugly. Wynne is without doubt a sledgehammer, great description.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 04:17:18 pm

I saw Kelley chew the player out, but I didn't see what the player did.  I was puzzled because the player made a good play.  I'm glad you explained what happened.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 05:55:21 pm

Well said. 5 day's out and I still can't get over PA's class. Zero taunting, Zero boasting. I had based my opinion on PA based on social media, big mistake. Wynne's OL is stout, PA plays a smart swarming defense but they are not overly physical. I still think the best way for PA to win this game is passing. I was shocked by how weak Wynne's DB's are. We were unable to exploit that because our QB had Wynne players in his face all night. The few times the Pioneers were able to get outside against Wynne it was for good yardage. The corners are undersized and not very athletic. It's not been an issue because Wynne's front 7 is incredible. If PA can give the QB time he will pass for monster yards. PA's running back is tiny, the epitome of a scat back. Very fast and shifty but Wynne won't let him slip away the way we did.

Another myth that was shot out of the water for me was that PA recruits. People have been saying for years that they go around the State and offer football studs free tuition. If that's true they are getting ripped off. I saw no one on that team that looked like a ringer. In fact I thought Batesville had more athletic players. PA is just a very well coached team. In fact I only saw 2 players on PA that I would say are D1 Power 5 type players. That number 5 is stout, all round solid player. And the huge OT has some skills, let's face it if the good lord blesses you with 6'6 and you play football chances are your not paying for college. I'm sure they have a few others that will play on Saturday but your talking Lyon College or Henderson State type schools. PA is not loaded with studs, they are simply a well oiled machine. I can't stress enough how impressed I was with them.

PA will always be in a game, I really want them to win. If weather is a factor and it turns into a grind it out smash mouth game it could get ugly. Wynne is without doubt a sledgehammer, great description.

Come on, you know that 5'10"  185 lb. offensive guard was recruited!

Steve Perry 2.11

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 26, 2016, 05:33:53 am
Wynne can't stop the pass, PA can pass. PA will put up a lot of points..but scrambling around isn't going to work against Wynne. Just throw the deep ball and you'll score. The problem is giving the ball to Wynne at the 50 each time. Wynne is going to score plenty.. Their offensive line,qb, and rbs are rarely going to get tackled in the backfield.

Watching both teams play a few times  this year, I give the edge to Wynne. But, PA has something that can't be undervalued: experience. Third year in a row and they know what it feels like to win them. I would not be shocked at all for PA to win. Just looking forward to the game.
I'd say this game can go either way.  PA can pass and Wynne doesn't cover that well.  However, Wynne is big and fast and I don't think PA is going to be able to stand around and wait to get rid of the ball.  Also, Wynne is big and fast and they will score on the ground a lot.  I don't see PA stopping the Wynne run game.  So who wins?  Whoever does a better job of executing their strengths and minimizing their weak points. I'm thinking Wynne.

oldjacketman

Both coaches run a tight, well-disciplined ship. Kelly is a disciplinarian, as is Hill. Anyone who says that Wynne taunts or shows bad-sportsmanship under Hill is either a hater or liar. Two great all around programs will face off. Should be a great game!

Grond

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 05:55:21 pm

I agree. In fact, PA reminds me of a 4A school in size.

The_Pioneer

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 29, 2016, 07:08:06 pm
I talked to him the other day.

He's reading all of this.

They let him look at his phone while he's on county trash pickup duty?  Bet its risky while holding onto the side of that truck.  And cold only wearing that orange jumpsuit.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 06:42:01 pm
Come on, you know that 5'10"  185 lb. offensive guard was recruited!

Now come on PA Dad, don't rub my nose in it. I admitted how stupid I was. I swear, PA lends itself to so many rumors, the facts don't back them up. I was honestly expecting 6'5 and 6'6 all over the roster. When I saw them warming up I was thinking "these guys are the ones who keep winning"? well, I got my answer. I don't think I've ever seen a more disciplined fundamentally sound high school football team. They really are polished. So if there is anyone else out there spreading the 'they recruit' rumor do yourself a favor, learn from the crow I had to eat. They don't. They just play good football with the players they have.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 09:11:22 pm
Now come on PA Dad, don't rub my nose in it. I admitted how stupid I was. I swear, PA lends itself to so many rumors, the facts don't back them up. I was honestly expecting 6'5 and 6'6 all over the roster. When I saw them warming up I was thinking "these guys are the ones who keep winning"? well, I got my answer. I don't think I've ever seen a more disciplined fundamentally sound high school football team. They really are polished. So if there is anyone else out there spreading the 'they recruit' rumor do yourself a favor, learn from the crow I had to eat. They don't. They just play good football with the players they have.

No need to open this debate up. But you do realize a school that has the enrollment of 3A shouldn't have 3-4 d-1 players every single year right?  I like several of the PA posters on here, but several rumors have merit. This is an off season topic that I'm sure we will all have fun with after this weekend.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 09:21:24 pm
No need to open this debate up. But you do realize a school that has the enrollment of 3A shouldn't have 3-4 d-1 players every single year right?  I like several of the PA posters on here, but several rumors have merit. This is an off season topic that I'm sure we will all have fun with after this weekend.
Then maybe don't bring it up the week of the game.

Name me the "3-4 d-1" players on this team.  Right now, two have d-1 offers and one of them is not going to go that route.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 09:11:22 pm

I wasn't making fun of you - I was making fun of the rumors about recruiting.  I was actually agreeing with you.  I'm sorry if you took that as a slap against you.

PA Dad

We've beat this horse to death.  No one has come forward with any credible evidence of recruiting.

Whether PA "should" have D-1 players proves nothing about whether they recruit.

I've made this offer before and make it again.  If anyone has credible evidence that PA recruits, bring it to me and I will personally report it to the AAA and will post the time and date that I will do so.

razorcardsfan11

The rain helps Wynne beat PA in this years championship

oldjacketman

Aren't they allowed to bring in kids within a 50 mile radius? If so, they aren't breaking any rules, just taking advantage of bad rules.

Pwil11

Quote from: oldjacketman on November 29, 2016, 10:18:40 pm
Aren't they allowed to bring in kids within a 50 mile radius? If so, they aren't breaking any rules, just taking advantage of bad rules.
90 miles

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 09:40:49 pm
We've beat this horse to death.  No one has come forward with any credible evidence of recruiting.

I've made this offer before and make it again.  If anyone has credible evidence that PA recruits, bring it to me and I will personally report it to the AAA and will post the time and date that I will do so.

Quick to lose posting privileges for anything like that on this board. That's probably one reason nobody says much.

I think most people have a problem with a lot of their D-1 athletes receiving tuition assistance. Regardless of the 3rd party decision making on this, PA has a general idea of who will get approved for it. But again, let's discuss all of this in the off season. We had a good discussion last year and the thread didn't even get locked! People were civil and it was a good debate.

I say Wynne wins this weekend. 43-35.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 09:35:18 pm
I wasn't making fun of you - I was making fun of the rumors about recruiting.  I was actually agreeing with you.  I'm sorry if you took that as a slap against you.

No, I knew you were joking. I was joking right back at you. After seeing with my own eyes I am convinced, whoever is in charge of pilfering other teams players isn't very good at his job. That exact roster under a different coach/system is a 500 ball club. They get maximum results with simply average talent. You have to take your hat off to the program, it is impressive.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 10:47:23 pm
No, I knew you were joking. I was joking right back at you. After seeing with my own eyes I am convinced, whoever is in charge of pilfering other teams players isn't very good at his job. That exact roster under a different coach/system is a 500 ball club. They get maximum results with simply average talent. You have to take your hat off to the program, it is impressive.

What do you mean average? It's much better than average relative to the rest of 5A and most of Arkansas.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 10:41:47 pm
Quick to lose posting privileges for anything like that on this board. That's probably one reason nobody says much.

I think most people have a problem with a lot of their D-1 athletes receiving tuition assistance. Regardless of the 3rd party decision making on this, PA has a general idea of who will get approved for it. But again, let's discuss all of this in the off season. We had a good discussion last year and the thread didn't even get locked! People were civil and it was a good debate.

That's always the excuse.  But, you don't have to post it.  You can PM it to me.  I promise I'll report it if there's credible evidence.

Or, I'll make you another deal.  You write a brief detailing your evidence and I'll write a rebuttal.  We'll submit it to any circuit judge of your choice and we'll both agree to abide by his or her decision.  Deal?

What I intensely dislike is innuendo instead  of evidence.  You're relying on innuendo-you have no evidence.  Be man enough to admit it.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 09:40:49 pm

Grain of salt PA Dad, grain of salt. You know who else was accused of skirting the rules to gain an unfair advantage? Bear Bryant at Alabama, John Wooden at UCLA, Tom Osborne at Nebraska, Jimmy Johnson at Miami, Coach K (who can spell that name) at Duke, Nick Saban at Alabama.....are you seeing a pattern here? I was at the Wynne/Batesville game. I left early, couldn't take it. As I was leaving I got into a conversation with some Wynne fans outside the gate, they were enjoying a few adult beverages. I didn't let on that I was from Batesville. Anyway, I said it must feel good to get over the Batesville hump (the Pioneers have won 7 of the last 10) they said yes. They then proceeded to tell me that Batesville pays the refs. They were dead serious. They said everyone in Arkansas knows Batesville has a huge ref fund, always has. I came on these message boards and read similar stories. There are people that actually believe that nonsense. My point is this, whenever you achieve success, in any field, people will take shots at you and try to belittle your success. So as far as the recruiting rumor goes, grain of salt.

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 11:03:21 pm
Grain of salt PA Dad, grain of salt. You know who else was accused of skirting the rules to gain an unfair advantage? Bear Bryant at Alabama, John Wooden at UCLA, Tom Osborne at Nebraska, Jimmy Johnson at Miami, Coach K (who can spell that name) at Duke, Nick Saban at Alabama.....are you seeing a pattern here? I was at the Wynne/Batesville game. I left early, couldn't take it. As I was leaving I got into a conversation with some Wynne fans outside the gate, they were enjoying a few adult beverages. I didn't let on that I was from Batesville. Anyway, I said it must feel good to get over the Batesville hump (the Pioneers have won 7 of the last 10) they said yes. They then proceeded to tell me that Batesville pays the refs. They were dead serious. They said everyone in Arkansas knows Batesville has a huge ref fund, always has. I came on these message boards and read similar stories. There are people that actually believe that nonsense. My point is this, whenever you achieve success, in any field, people will take shots at you and try to belittle your success. So as far as the recruiting rumor goes, grain of salt.

We'll, everyone on this board knows Batesville pays the officials!  That's the only reason they beat WC twice last year.

Your point is a good one.  I should just calm down and let the jealous chatter continue.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 10:54:21 pm
What do you mean average? It's much better than average relative to the rest of 5A and most of Arkansas.

I respectfully disagree. Year in and year out Batesville, Wynne and PA are always near the top. It's not the players it's the coaching. I wouldn't trade our coaches for anyone in the state. They get the most from the players they have. I can't bring it up because the easy retort would be "you lost" but let's not overlook Batesville and the great job coach King and his staff did. Does everyone here realize the Pioneers had 14 surgeries this year? 11 of them season ending. I know injuries are part of the game but come on, 14? I've never heard of that before. They never used that as an excuse and forbid the players from making any excuses. I tip my cap to both PA and Wynne, you won and that's that. But does anyone here realize we never got to see Batesville at full strength? that team limped into the semi-finals. Makes you wonder what might have been.

PA Dad

Rumors never have merit.  That's why they are rumors.

Facts have merit.  Credible evidence has merit.  With your profession, you should know that.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 10:59:51 pm
That's always the excuse.  But, you don't have to post it.  You can PM it to me.  I promise I'll report it if there's credible evidence.

Or, I'll make you another deal.  You write a brief detailing your evidence and I'll write a rebuttal.  We'll submit it to any circuit judge of your choice and we'll both agree to abide by his or her decision.  Deal?

What I intensely dislike is innuendo instead  of evidence.  You're relying on innuendo-you have no evidence.  Be man enough to admit it.

We all know PA has all the judges on their side!

I have no evidence of recruiting. I'm man enough to admit that. I just stated my belief as to why people don't post it.

I plan to do a little more research with the numbers of not just PA, but the other privates as well. I'm interested to see the rate of tuition assistance at the other private schools in comparison to PA. I'm also interested in PA's numbers this year compared to last year.

MDXPHD

November 29, 2016, 11:30:52 pm #132 Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:47:17 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: PA Dad on November 29, 2016, 11:27:32 pm
Rumors never have merit.  That's why they are rumors.

Facts have merit.  Credible evidence has merit.  With your profession, you should know that.

Hopeful profession. Still trying to get there! Very critical tonight. Hopefully I won't be a disgrace to the profession.

Private schools have information that isn't easily accessible to the public. They're not near as transparent and don't have to be. If we could only have access to more information through discovery...but I'm stuck with relying on the limited information required by the AAA. Pretty boring.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 11:28:08 pm
We all know PA has all the judges on their side!

I have no evidence of recruiting. I'm man enough to admit that. I just stated my belief as to why people don't post it.

I plan to do a little more research with the numbers of not just PA, but the other privates as well. I'm interested to see the rate of tuition assistance at the other private schools in comparison to PA. I'm also interested in PA's numbers this year compared to last year.

I admire that you are man enough to admit that you have no evidence.  Kudos.

PA Dad

Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 29, 2016, 08:22:52 pm
They let him look at his phone while he's on county trash pickup duty?  Bet its risky while holding onto the side of that truck.  And cold only wearing that orange jumpsuit.

I love that cutting wit!

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 11:18:29 pm
I respectfully disagree. Year in and year out Batesville, Wynne and PA are always near the top. It's not the players it's the coaching. I wouldn't trade our coaches for anyone in the state. They get the most from the players they have. I can't bring it up because the easy retort would be "you lost" but let's not overlook Batesville and the great job coach King and his staff did. Does everyone here realize the Pioneers had 14 surgeries this year? 11 of them season ending. I know injuries are part of the game but come on, 14? I've never heard of that before. They never used that as an excuse and forbid the players from making any excuses. I tip my cap to both PA and Wynne, you won and that's that. But does anyone here realize we never got to see Batesville at full strength? that team limped into the semi-finals. Makes you wonder what might have been.

You make a great point about coaching.  I have great admiration for Coach King.  Seven semifinals in a row is a remarkable achievement.  Talent changes from year to year - coaching doesn't.  Batesville has good talent, but they wouldn't have seven in a row without a great coach.

Coach Kelley said as much in his post game interview on the radio.  He said coaches King, Rick Jones and Hill are among the best in the state.  That's high praise, and it's well deserved.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 10:41:47 pm

Absolutely no correlation.  I would actually venture to guess it leans the exact opposite in regard to "D-1" athletes.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 29, 2016, 11:28:08 pm

I have no evidence of recruiting. I'm man enough to admit that.

I agree 100%. I'm with you on that.  No, they don't go out and recruit like colleges recruit. But let's get real people, everyone on this board knows that private schools do in fact "persuade" some players or families to check out their school(wink wink). Behind the door talk. E-mails to a close friend whose son plays for another school on the other side of town. Friends of the program type deal. Not straight on recruiting, but a rather, nonchalant casual type of recruiting.

Anybody who says that this doesn't/hasn't gone on in the past, to some extent,  is a liar.

Maybe PA is the cleanest cut private school in the state, and absolutely none of this has ever gone on in the past. I'm not sitting here accusing them of recruiting, but surely you people can see the skepticism of the people from public schools when privates aren't governed by the same exact rules.

And before you start typing, I in no way dislike PA. In fact, I've always liked PA. Don't know why.  My rant here is not against PA, but merely trying to shine a light on how the public perceives private schools and also to give my opinion on what I believe happens at certain private schools.

Steve Perry 2.11

On the flip side of all of this:

I do however think that private schools attract hardworking, smart parents that want the best for their kids. And these kids "usually" want to work hard in the classroom and in athletics because of the learned behavior from their parents. You get hardworking kids along with a great coach and you have a successful private school.

One theory that does debunk the recruiting topic is look at Greenwood.

Public school. They have like 8 or 9 state championships and are usually in the finals every year. Don't really have "great" athletes. Average looking athletes. But they execute to perfection like a bunch of robots. And play hard on every stinking play. All stemmed from their HC.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't on a tirade against PA, but merely shedding light as to how they are perceived by the outside world.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 30, 2016, 08:25:20 am

On the flip side of all of this:

I do however think that private schools attract hardworking, smart parents that want the best for their kids. And these kids "usually" want to work hard in the classroom and in athletics because of the learned behavior from their parents. You get hardworking kids along with a great coach and you have a successful private school.

One theory that does debunk the recruiting topic is look at Greenwood.

Public school. They have like 8 or 9 state championships and are usually in the finals every year. Don't really have "great" athletes. Average looking athletes. But they execute to perfection like a bunch of robots. And play hard on every stinking play. All stemmed from their HC.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't on a tirade against PA, but merely shedding light as to how they are perceived by the outside world.

good posts.  btw, did anyone take you up on the pregame cigar/scotch soiree you offered out in the area of the landed gentry?

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2016, 08:38:56 am
good posts.  btw, did anyone take you up on the pregame cigar/scotch soiree you offered out in the area of the landed gentry?

Actually, it was post game. And, I'm not sure. I passed out early so I never heard the gate buzzer go off if anyone did come by.

deltahog66

Quote from: JessieP on November 29, 2016, 11:18:29 pm

You realize mdxphd is a batesville fan right?  I can't speak for Batesville, but for Wynne, your wrong. That 10 year stretch that you were boasting about Batesvilles record against Wynne, included the years that coach shempert was the head coach. Coach Campbell was a smart man, he was ready to retire, but he also knew, talent wise,  what was coming. There were three down years as far as talent in the span your referring to, and coach shempert suffered for it. He was a great coach, in fact I'd feel a lot more comfortable about Saturday if he was the DC on the sideline.  Wynne has talent now and for several more years but it will cycle down. Always does.   

I don't care if PA recruits, their the next team on the schedule, recruit or not.
Last thing, things can be said about Wynne and fans who talk to much, but this team is a very respectful, disciplined, and good group of kids. Don't lump them into that. They don't mouth, talk trash, or any of that to the other team. At least not in the past 5 or 6 weeks.

RZback

It's interesting to read the post about recruiting and superior versus average athletes.  My take is that most schools "recruit" athletes in some way.  Some more overtly than others, some much more quietly.  Don't private schools recruit all students?  Isn't that how they remain open by constantly encouraging new enrollment?  Advertisement?  Public schools are restricted to a school district for its students but everyone recognizes that kids move, or at least come up with an address.  It seems to be part of the game.  I've seen games around the state and I see some schools with better looking athletes than others, but what I notice is the combination of size, speed, strength that you see in the teams that typically play for the championships.  At least relative to the teams in their classification.  I think most of these teams seem to look alike in that respect. Yes, occasionally you see a smaller team make it but athletes are born and players developed through parental and school support, the weight room, track, and discipline.  Schools that take the natural talents of their kids and improve on them tend to have the long running success, year after year.  Recruiting, I'd say yeah it happens but nobody is winning with the talentless teams that some folks on fearless talk about they play with and still win championships. A team once in a while has that great season with lesser athletes but rarely wins it all, and those schools programs don't usually win year in and year out. 

walkingguy72396

I agree that there was more than usual post play celebration.  Mouthing off by the Wynne crowd at the Batesville game. 

Pioneers should take it as a compliment.  As Wynne does not get nearly as worked up about winning against all the other teams

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: RZback on November 30, 2016, 09:14:49 am
Don't private schools recruit all students?  Isn't that how they remain open by constantly encouraging new enrollment?  Advertisement? 

Yes.

Quote from: RZback on November 30, 2016, 09:14:49 am
Schools that take the natural talents of their kids and improve on them tend to have the long running success, year after year.  Recruiting, I'd say yeah it happens but nobody is winning with the talentless teams that some folks on fearless talk about they play with and still win championships. A team once in a while has that great season with lesser athletes but rarely wins it all, and those schools programs don't usually win year in and year out. 

i.e. Greenwood. Although they do have some talent. It's not like they have a team full of average joes. But let's get real, the population is only like 8000. And they produce year after year after year. Even in their down years(which is few and far between), they are still a tough "out". And this is coming from someone that hates Greenwood. With a passion. But I'm not so blinded by my hate of Greenwood to recognize that at some point you just have to end up respecting a program that continues to compete at a high level year after year....even if you wish the town would be destroyed by a tornado.

oldjacketman

Wynne had the number 1 scoring defense in 5A but you aren't comfortable with the coaches? You'd rather have someone else. That's interesting.

deltahog66

Quote from: oldjacketman on November 30, 2016, 10:22:38 am
Wynne had the number 1 scoring defense in 5A but you aren't comfortable with the coaches? You'd rather have someone else. That's interesting.

Nothing against the Wynne d-coordinator. He's obviously a good coach. Coach shempert just in my opinion was a great d-coordinator.

oldjacketman

Indeed, he was. Remember those defenses well. Current staff is doing a great job, too.

Rick Swines

November 30, 2016, 10:55:00 am #148 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:57:17 am by Rick Swines
Quote from: deltahog66 on November 30, 2016, 10:33:13 am
Nothing against the Wynne d-coordinator. He's obviously a good coach. Coach shempert just in my opinion was a great d-coordinator.

This is laughable.  I'm sure Coach Shempert was a great DC but do you remember the 2006 semi finals game?  Greenwood passed for over 600 yards against what I have been told as one of the most talented Wynne teams in history.  Let me break down the wynne defense for you. 

Marion                   W, 42 - 17 (Season Average 31 ppg.
Maumelle                   W, 38 - 21 (Season Average 20 ppg)   
Beebe                   W, 49 - 6  (Season Average 25.5 PPG)
Blytheville                   W, 57 - 32 (Season Average 34 PPG)
Greene County Tech   W, 48 - 0 (Season Average 13.9 PPG)
Valley View           W, 56 - 21 (Season Average 24 ppg)
Batesville                   W, 63 - 21 (Season Average 34 ppg)
Paragould                   W, 41 - 7   (Season Average 10.9 ppg)
Forrest City           W, 63 - 28 (Season Average 36 ppg)
Nettleton                   W, 48 - 0  (season Average 24 ppg)
Morrilton                   W, 50 - 21 (Season Average 32 ppg)
Little Rock McClellan   W, 36 - 8  (Season Average 38 PPG)
Watson Chapel           W, 77 - 41 (Season Average 33 ppg)

So in 11/13 games wynne held their opponent to lower than there season average.  And take in account the Wynne offense has scored over 50 PPG which leads to many more possessions for the defense and one of their best Dlineman is out for the entire playoffs. 

Wynne is giving up 17 points per game which is first in 5A.  There are no telling how many of those points are from Offensive Turnovers (I know Mcclellan returned a fumble for a TD) Special Team touchdowns (I know batesville returned 1 for a TD) and I imagine Paragould, Valley View, Beebe, and GCT scored on the wynne's second unit.  I think I read where wynne's starters didn't play in 5 second half's all year. 

I couldn't pick out the wynne dc in a lineup but I cannot stand when parents call for coaches to be replaced (or in this case wished there was another DC) when he has coordinated one of the best defenses all year. 

Delta can you please tell me what more you want from your DC? 

Did Watson Chapel score more than the state anticipated?  Yes Can PA score 50?  Yes but there is nothing in the onfield performance to show me that he needs to be replaced. 

panther07

Quote from: Grond on November 26, 2016, 05:36:45 pm
As I recall, in the 2015 PA-Wynne game, the flexbone gave PA some troubles (early on).

The Pulaski Academy offense is "gonna get theirs". It is not realistic to expect the Wynne defense to stop PA. The best way to deal with the PA offense is to keep it off the field.

So, some of the previous posts are correct: deal with the PA onside kicks; don't turn the ball over.

This game will come down to the struggle between the Wynne offense and the PA defense. Especially the Wynne offensive tackles vs. PA defensive ends.

Practicing for the Flexbone: No football
Talk to any D2 college in Arkansas, and they will give you opinions on how to deal with the flexbone offense, which is run by Harding University (who won the 2016 Great American Conference, and just beat Sioux Falls in the 2nd playoff game).

One of the difficulties in defending the flexbone is LB's and DB's getting mixed up trying to figure out where the ball is. The defense has to be disciplined, and react to where specific players go, rather than where the ball goes. Consequently, PA will likely practice against a scout team that is NOT using a football, in order to focus the defensive backs on the RB's and WR's.

I think PA will react well to the Wynne flexbone scheme.  Wynne must have its passing game working, and be ready to use some counter plays within the flexbone offense to deal with PA overreacting.

Interesting.. Those tackles won't be blocking that D end in the base play of that offense.  DE unblocked.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas