• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pine Bluff @ Greenwood

Started by High Voltage, November 18, 2016, 10:49:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Pine Bluff
28 (41.8%)
Greenwood
39 (58.2%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: November 25, 2016, 10:49:34 pm

Oldbadger

Gonna let FF go for a couple of days.  All you FF  posters I hope and pray you all have a great Thanksgiving!

itsslim

Pine Bluffs band will be in attendance

Road_Dogg

I vote bulldogger changes his handle to TrumpDogger17. The similarities are uncanny. Called arrogant, alleged racist remarks, questions a Foundation, battles with "respected family", calls people names, unacceptable and irrational to be associated with him, incites and insults his base and other fans base. Bulldogger might not win the popular vote but I know the whole town does not hate the guy. I've always had a soft spot for rebel rousers, swamp drainers and such.  I'm a fan.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Pr8hd

Quote from: itsslim on November 23, 2016, 12:38:39 pm
Pine Bluffs band will be in attendance

Good deal...glad they are coming hopefully the GW admin will give them time to perform at half.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Road_Dogg on November 23, 2016, 12:54:21 pm
I vote bulldogger changes his handle to TrumpDogger17. The similarities are uncanny. Called arrogant, alleged racist remarks, questions a Foundation, battles with "respected family", calls people names, unacceptable and irrational to be associated with him, incites and insults his base and other fans base. Bulldogger might not win the popular vote but I know the whole town does not hate the guy. I've always had a soft spot for rebel rousers, swamp drainers and such.  I'm a fan.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Nice analogy, but big difference between being elected POTUS and local superstar.

I don't think he would carry the popular vote not here and not in GW.

zebradynasty

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 23, 2016, 07:13:31 am
I'm still waiting on PB to play a full 48 minutes without having a quarter of relapse or it look like they take their foot off the gas like when PB beat Searcy they basically scored 68 points in three quarters when we played Hall we didn't even score in the first quarter but then put up 50 points in two quarters hopefully the young men will click well together but a lil inside scoop PB is more explosive when some of everybody touch the ball and I am looking forward to see our 230 lb rb run some people over to me he is our hottest player right now going into the semifinals

That is a good point they seem to lose focus for a quarter . Bad habit for sure! I'm expecting one of the other RBs to step up. They have really gained experience and beginning to see holes and cutback lanes better.

Pr8hd

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 23, 2016, 03:44:25 pm
That is a good point they seem to lose focus for a quarter . Bad habit for sure! 

GW has a tendency to do the same and be a little lackadaisical at the end of the half and the game. They have given up some last second TD's before the half that I know have driven CRJ crazy. I attribute it to the youth on the team and sometimes taking the foot off the gas a little too early.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 23, 2016, 03:50:15 pm
GW has a tendency to do the same and be a little lackadaisical at the end of the half and the game. They have given up some last second TD's before the half that I know have driven CRJ crazy. I attribute it to the youth on the team and sometimes taking the foot off the gas a little too early.

Teams get in their "prevent the win" defense before half-time too. I hate an attacking defense that's had great success, all of the sudden rush three and play cover 3 soft zone.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2016, 04:00:16 pm
Teams get in their "prevent the win" defense before half-time too. I hate an attacking defense that's had great success, all of the sudden rush three and play cover 3 soft zone.

This is so true, I know of at least twice it cost GW games I can recall.  One being on a very big stage in 2013 against PB in semi's and the other, a last second against Vilonia in 2005 or 2007 I believe, both at home.  It almost cost them against Russellville this year as well, again at home.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 23, 2016, 11:53:02 am
Gonna let FF go for a couple of days.  All you FF  posters I hope and pray you all have a great Thanksgiving!
hope you do to badger.

Road_Dogg

So... I guess Jeff Weaver has now taken over as offensive coordinator for Coach Young at Greenwood? Was this a terrible piece of sportswriting by Leland Barclay (again), Freudian slip by Leland or was Bulldogger15 right about the return of Weaver to Greenwood? I say all three probably! Lol

So full of turkey I could barely laugh when I read this. Maybe bulldogger had some inside scoop about Weaver's return, just not the right position! lol

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20161124/football-greenwood-qbs-transformation-paying-off-in-big-way

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Road_Dogg on November 24, 2016, 05:14:38 pm
So... I guess Jeff Weaver has now taken over as offensive coordinator for Coach Young at Greenwood? Was this a terrible piece of sportswriting by Leland Barclay (again), Freudian slip by Leland or was Bulldogger15 right about the return of Weaver to Greenwood? I say all three probably! Lol

So full of turkey I could barely laugh when I read this. Maybe bulldogger had some inside scoop about Weaver's return, just not the right position! lol

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20161124/football-greenwood-qbs-transformation-paying-off-in-big-way
That is bad...how do you make a mistake like that? It's no wonder the Times Record is so bad these days...I feel for Coach Young...

Jeep71

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 24, 2016, 07:04:36 pm
That is bad...how do you make a mistake like that? It's no wonder the Times Record is so bad these days...I feel for Coach Young...
Hacked by the Russians?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Jeep71 on November 24, 2016, 07:07:01 pm
Hacked by the Russians?
Haha, possibly Jeep...maybe Trump is involved...

PrivateLesson

AirWarren

Gotta go with seark brethren. Go Z's but best of luck to both teams.

Coach Venny Slocombe

This may sound crazy...it's a defensive night...

GW - 21
PB - 17

Pr8hd

November 25, 2016, 10:41:10 am #167 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:45:33 pm by Pr8hd
Gameday....

I think based on this  it certainly sounds like there is a healthy respect from the two teams for each other. I hope the comparison to the 2013 game is only that and history does not repeat itself.

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20161125/football-greenwood-pine-bluff-no-strangers-in-postseason

sportsguy80

Quote from: PrivateLesson on November 25, 2016, 03:55:12 am
G by 7.
I see you finally made a score prediction lol. I still can't decide...

sportsguy80

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2016, 09:49:30 am
This may sound crazy...it's a defensive night...

GW - 21
PB - 17
It is possible that this could be one of those games. I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

rona

Catch myself thinking more and more this could be a Bulldog blowout, but will tone it down to a 35 - 21 Greenwood victory. Good Coaches on both sides, some really good players on both sides, but more firepower from the Homeside. Safe Travels to all Zebra Fans.

catfish1

TAPP OUT. UGW WILL Spank The Zebras You got a little of #13 back in DEC now you will get a lot!!!!!!!

PrivateLesson

PrivateLesson

PrivateLesson

A 1 point game ending!!!!   

AT

I'm interested in how Pine Bluff's last drive was. Did they get close or did Greenwood force a turnover on downs pretty quick?

FeartheZebra

Wow, what a game! I am so proud of what this team has accomplished over the past few years. Even though they were counted out, this team never gave in. I am so proud of what they have accomplished. We never gave in, we never quit, we never backed down, and we gave this team all they could handle. We went into enemy territory and battled like the MEN they are and we just came up a little short at the end. This team astonished me with their play and the way the fought back! I applaud Greenwood on a clean game and their victory at the end. This ladies and gentlemen is what real football is about. You better believe this Zebra team will be back, and good luck to Greenwood in the Championship! This is why high school football rises above all!!! Congratulations Greenwood.

urban legend2

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 25, 2016, 09:43:28 pm
I'm interested in how Pine Bluff's last drive was. Did they get close or did Greenwood force a turnover on downs pretty quick?
PB got it back with about 57 seconds left and basically turned it over on downs at their own 20 or so. Heck of a game though.

Pr8hd

November 25, 2016, 09:56:45 pm #178 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:59:45 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 25, 2016, 09:43:28 pm

GW punted deep and Zebras could not get anything going on passes, mostly shorter stuff fell incomplete, defense held maybe gave up  a few yards and turned them over on downs. They were out of TO's but really surprised they did not get anything deep. PB  QB was hurt late too, he was limping badly. PB knocked out GW's Noland early in the game as well. PB Qb was very good, but in the end they just could not get anything going on last drive.

AT

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 25, 2016, 09:56:45 pm
GW punted deep and Zebras could not get anything going on passes, mostly shorter stuff fell incomplete, defense held maybe gave up  a few yards and turned them over on downs. They were out of TO's but really surprised they did not get anything deep. PB  QB was hurt late too, he was limping badly. PB knocked out GW's Noland early in the game as well. PB Qb was very good, but in the end they just could not get anything going on last drive.

Sounds like another instant classic between the two. Hope Noland is okay.

urban legend2

Quote from: FeartheZebra on November 25, 2016, 09:46:39 pm
Wow, what a game! I am so proud of what this team has accomplished over the past few years. Even though they were counted out, this team never gave in. I am so proud of what they have accomplished. We never gave in, we never quit, we never backed down, and we gave this team all they could handle. We went into enemy territory and battled like the MEN they are and we just came up a little short at the end. This team astonished me with their play and the way the fought back! I applaud Greenwood on a clean game and their victory at the end. This ladies and gentlemen is what real football is about. You better believe this Zebra team will be back, and good luck to Greenwood in the Championship! This is why high school football rises above all!!! Congratulations Greenwood.
+1...heck of a game that had to have a winner. Congrats to Greenwood and I tip my hat to them because they made just enough plays to hold on. Tonight was the perfect example of how valuable it is to have two good QBs. I read on here where some in Bulldog Country haven't been too fond of Jones using both, but when your backup tonight was the same guy that led you to the title game last year, that's a great problem to have. Hales made some key plays late in the third and early in the fourth to keep drives alive, particularly when PB charged out in the second half. Way to many penalties overall for PB and a fairly clean game for Greenwood...despite all of that, the game was decided by a play or two and could have literally gone either way. The Zebras had some chances (the INT in the end zone on 1st-and-goal was a killer), but they continued to battle and came up 1-point short. Still, couldn't have asked for a better effort from both teams because they left it all out there.

Pr8hd

November 25, 2016, 10:14:52 pm #181 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:22:41 pm by Pr8hd
Congrats to PB on a good one, Blair was as good as advertised. Very impressed with the passing and running of the QB. Recievers ran good routes and made some nice catches too. One main difference, I thought PB lacked the beasts they have had in the trenches the last 2 meetings. In the end, that is where it was won and lost when GW started to control the PB defensive line in the 4th quarter. I thought PB made nice adjustments at half yet again and there for awhile thought Bolding was going to flip the script again like in 2013, but it was clear they had no faith in a PK this time around, but that worked to their advantage I thought. The 2 pt conversions made it very interesting.  They were well designed plays too. Bolding and staff did a great job with this team. Hold your head high in Zebra Country your team represented the tradition  that is PB football very well and no need to question your respect as it is duly warranted.

Kudos to the PB players and coaches, they hung tough til the very end. They made GW earn everything they got for sure. Glad the QB is moving on.   
PB brought a nice contingent of fans and wish them and the team safe travels back home.

Lastly, Congrats also to the Bulldogs for getting back to the Rock again to get another crack at it. It's time to finish what you started. Go 1-0 one more time and you complete all your goals. Your season is going to end in the setting you envisioned it to be, but it's up to y'all to write the ending you desire against a very tough Russellville team.

Lumberjackfan1978

The Future

Just heard from a source Bolding met with Kevin Kelley all week long on sure fire 2 point conversions. Woulda worked on some onside kicks as well, but we all know them private school prices ;) haha

Amazing game. I agree with Pr8hd, no big ol hosses but still every bit as advertised. Bolding as well as Reed at Eldo both know how to get wins in the playoffs despite how the regular season goes.

Our guys really needed this win. Yes the Russellville and Eldo wins have been good and close, but this was a game the will remember. It goes up there with the classics from years past. Hopefully we'll see another next week.

Congrats to Pine Bluff on another great season. I know like other great teams, a season short of the Rock is a bit of a disappointment. But nothing to hang your head over in a 1 point loss where you left it all on the field and made the other team earn every yard and point.

Congrats to Greenwood on another great season and another return to state. 48 minutes from title number 8 and first since 2012 which seems so long ago.

zebradynasty

Congratulations to GW you beat the champs and deserve the opportunity to replace us...temporarily. ;)

Very proud of the Z's! Losing so close to our goal hurts but we went down fighting and pretty much showed everyone that PB isn't going anywhere. Use this as motivation in the offseason and work even harder and we'll return to the Little Rock again! 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Just some thoughts...

PB was very well coached and those kids had no quit in them. Blair was hard to stop and too fast to contain at times. The PB team was very disciplined and I saw them helping the GW players up after every play, didn't look like any smack talking just good clean football. I have alot of respect for PB...

As for GW, we all knew that Hales was hurt so when I saw Noland heading to the locker room I thought we were in trouble. Noalnd to that point was playing incredible and had the team rolling. But Hales stepped in and looked a little rusty throwing the ball but it the end he played very well. He made several key first down runs. The defense stayed on the field quite a bit and looked tired at the end. But when they had to they made some key stops. This was a good all around performance by GW tonight.

I heard on the post game show that Noland passed concussion tests but at that time they didn't know his status for next week. I hope he is alright and ready to go...

Pr8hd

I was impressed when GW was up early and looked in control that PB did not get discouraged and came out in the 3rd and reversed the momentum. Then, GW came back and took it back, but PB would not go away. Bolding did a super job because I think of the 4 PB games /teams I saw against GW that was probably their weakest team, but when you replace that many starters who were very successful even their weakest team is better than many teams strongest.

It was definitely fortuitous that they got the QB move in because he made plays with his feet/arm all night, but his receivers also made some nice grabs too. Contrary to some, PB was still a TEAM not just a one man show.  Blair took full advantage of the offensive system PB runs. It would have been interesting to see this one playing out had Noland been available all game long. The 2 QB system GW runs paid some dividends, as mentioned, in that how lucky GW was to be able to go to another D1 QB. I am not sure if Blair had been hurt earlier and knocked out how well the PB offense would have worked or if the backup was as capable as he was.

zebrafan

Congrats to Greenwood, sounded like a great game! Good season by the Zs!

zebradynasty

December 05, 2016, 10:49:10 am #188 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:38:39 pm by zebradynasty
Quote from: Pr8hd on November 26, 2016, 10:43:46 am
I was impressed when GW was up early and looked in control that PB did not get discouraged and came out in the 3rd and reversed the momentum. Then, GW came back and took it back, but PB would not go away. Bolding did a super job because I think of the 4 PB games /teams I saw against GW that was probably their weakest team, but when you replace that many starters who were very successful even their weakest team is better than many teams strongest.

I can agree with that...actually I was thinking the same thing about GW! Very good team but not quite as good as the previous GW teams we faced. The WR's weren't as talented as previous additions. I think solid QB play made up for it.

Baitshop

Quote from: bulldogger15 on November 19, 2016, 10:48:17 pm
+1
Who worries about a second place trophy anyway MillenialZEBRA? If you're not first you're last, right?

Still feel this way Bulldogger..??..??

Pr8hd

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 05, 2016, 10:49:10 am
I can agree with that...actually I was thinking the same thing about GW! Very good team but not quite as good as the previous GW teams we faced. The WR's weren't as talented as previous additions. I think solid QB play made up for it.

Not sure if GW ever put together a great game this year start to finish. I think the youth showed in many cases - dropped balls, penalties, and defensive lapses - giving up easy scores or a not putting the clamps down at times to finish teams off when they had the games in control. They made it harder on themselves than it should have or had to be in many games. Of the 4 teams that GW has faced PB, I would rank the GW teams as follows  (1)2012 (2)2013 (3) 2015 (2) 2016. IMO I would rank the PB teams we saw in order of strength as: (1) 2015 (2- tie) 2012/2013 and (3) 2016. I would like to see the GW 2012 team with D. Morgan play against the 2015 PB team with L. Skelton...it would be a real good/entertaining game.

GW played lots of young guys this year...will return basically their backfield, several receivers, secondary and defensive anchor. Biggest loss - lose all their starting LB's- defense is heavily dependent on them to make plays..Also, lose several o-line guys.

I expect PB and GW to be in the mix yet again next year....PB will have to come up with a QB that works in your system. Russ will have big shoes to fill in the loss of of there QB as well.   

zebradynasty

Quote from: Pr8hd on December 05, 2016, 02:12:30 pm
Not sure if GW ever put together a great game this year start to finish. I think the youth showed in many cases - dropped balls, penalties, and defensive lapses - giving up easy scores or a not putting the clamps down at times to finish teams off when they had the games in control. They made it harder on themselves than it should have or had to be in many games. Of the 4 teams that GW has faced PB, I would rank the GW teams as follows  (1)2012 (2)2013 (3) 2015 (2) 2016. IMO I would rank the PB teams we saw in order of strength as: (1) 2015 (2- tie) 2012/2013 and (3) 2016. I would like to see the GW 2012 team with D. Morgan play against the 2015 PB team with L. Skelton...it would be a real good/entertaining game.

GW played lots of young guys this year...will return basically their backfield, several receivers, secondary and defensive anchor. Biggest loss - lose all their starting LB's- defense is heavily dependent on them to make plays..Also, lose several o-line guys.

I expect PB and GW to be in the mix yet again next year....PB will have to come up with a QB that works in your system. Russ will have big shoes to fill in the loss of of there QB as well.   

I agree with that ranking for both schools. This was the first year in a while that we didn't have at least one truly dominate lineman. PB should be very good at the skills positions next year. Secondary should be good also. QB...I think we will be fine with the transfer from Chapel and a good looking sophomore to be. At RB if they work hard in the weight room (need to improve speed) could  be very strong with quality depth at that position. I'm not sure about the OL/DL which is the key.

zebrafan

December 05, 2016, 03:10:08 pm #192 Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:11:46 pm by zebrafan
Quote from: zebradynasty on December 05, 2016, 03:00:54 pm
I agree with that ranking for both schools. This was the first year in a while that we didn't have at least one truly dominate lineman. PB should be very good at the skills positions next year. Secondary should be good also. QB...I think we will be fine with the transfer from Chapel and a good looking sophomore to be. At RB if they work hard in the weight room (need to improve speed) could  be very strong with quality depth at that position. I'm not sure about the OL/DL which is the key.
Chapel kid is back at Chapel, I believe we still have the lineman that came with him...Foots is the man for the moment. WRs/LBs should be strong next year...get 3 guys back on the DL that played only one guy that saw PT returns for the OL. Our 9th grade class will have some lineman size guys...and a couple of skill players.

itsslim

Yea Jakobi Jackson been back at chapel about a month ago. lol Tyler Footes will get the job done, more than half the starters return next season on both sides of the ball. Leading rusher Braylon moody returns, 2nd leading receiver Jerime Thompson returns, leading tackler isiah singleton returns, 3 starting Dbs return. Future is bright for PB

zebradynasty

Quote from: zebrafan on December 05, 2016, 03:10:08 pm
Chapel kid is back at Chapel, I believe we still have the lineman that came with him...Foots is the man for the moment. WRs/LBs should be strong next year...get 3 guys back on the DL that played only one guy that saw PT returns for the OL. Our 9th grade class will have some lineman size guys...and a couple of skill players.

I assume he would be eligible at Chapel but would he be welcomed? Sounds like the OL will be the key.

zebrafan

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 05, 2016, 04:37:32 pm
I assume he would be eligible at Chapel but would he be welcomed? Sounds like the OL will be the key.
OL interest me, possibly another big line next year if the transfer stays.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas