• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benton @ Jonesboro

Started by ricepig, November 13, 2016, 08:03:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Ok, I know very little about Benton football, what kind of offense do you run, defense, etc.. We've played Benton in basketball and baseball several times, but to my knowledge, this will be our first meeting in football.

admorris24

Run mostly out of spread, but we have discovered some power running game the last half of season.  Our offense is methodical.  Not a big play passing team down the field.  RB hunter over 2000 all purpose yards.  Offense very good when not turning football over.  Defense is very physical.  Defense led by Clift at DE,  Harris, Morris at LB and Stone at LB/S.  I really expect a tight high scoring.  Key for defense is pressure on QB and if our CB can hold up to your big WR's.  If game is in 20's Benton should win.  In 40's JB will win.

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on November 13, 2016, 10:06:09 am
Run mostly out of spread, but we have discovered some power running game the last half of season.  Our offense is methodical.  Not a big play passing team down the field.  RB hunter over 2000 all purpose yards.  Offense very good when not turning football over.  Defense is very physical.  Defense led by Clift at DE,  Harris, Morris at LB and Stone at LB/S.  I really expect a tight high scoring.  Key for defense is pressure on QB and if our CB can hold up to your big WR's.  If game is in 20's Benton should win.  In 40's JB will win.

Ok, thanks. If you can hold Jonesboro in the 20's, you'll deserve the win. I've only caught a few highlights of Benton on Channel 7, it looked like you had some speed/moves at WR, or could have been a RB with the pass.

We get a reputation as a big play passing team, but most of our throws are under 15 yards. If you cheat your safeties up, then we'll go over the top. We only have one big WR in Adams at 6'3"-6'4". The other two are waterbug 5'9" types, they actually have more moves than Adams, lol. The problem with stopping Adams is, if you miss the first tackle, you are going to be watching him run to the end zone. We average around 200 yards rushing, split amongst 3 RB's, we will run it all game if the coach has enough patience. Big O-line, but the d-line isn't huge.

Look forward to a good game, I hope the weather is good.

admorris24

Our WR are quick and shifty in space.  As Hunter and our other RB Wallace a sophomore goes, so does our offense

beach bum

ricepig

Ok, should a good game. We normally keep everyone in their seat until the end this season, lol.

admorris24

Sounds good.  Nice to be playing someone other than ED in the 2nd round like we have the last couple of years

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on November 13, 2016, 12:31:42 pm
Sounds good.  Nice to be playing someone other than ED in the 2nd round like we have the last couple of years

Yeah, it seems we went in cycles, Texarkana, LH, and then Alma, lol.

maxswine

November 13, 2016, 08:19:48 pm #8 Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:50:25 pm by maxswine
I think this is the best quarterfinal match up.  I just may head over to Jonesboro to watch this one. 

T-Bone

I only saw about 3/4th of the last Benton game.  Two things stood out from what was on that live coverage.  Benton's #4 looked fast.  When #42 goes back to punt the fake punt is very possible.  As they mention the Benton D is a good one.  The only prediction I feel comfortable making is that if the Benton D is as pumped as they seemed for the last game, mostly up front, I expect a clash with Cane's offensive line and Benton's D line.  Not saying Benton D is dirty.  I am saying they looked pumped and I know Cane's O line will be pumped.  I see some penalties coming out with both pumped teams.

ricepig

Quote from: maxswine on November 13, 2016, 08:19:48 pm
I think this is the best quarterfinal match up.  I just may head over to Jonesboro to watch this one.

Give me a shout if you do, it's always good to put a face with posters on here. Now, if it's raining, I won't be there, I don't have one playing or cheering/dancing anymore, so I don't sit in the rain, haha.

Wildcat Football

The key for Benton will be our corners and safeties and can our DLine and LBs put pressure on JB QB in pass situations.  Several people have told me that Jonesboro plays tough at home and we know Adams will be tough to stop.  As always, turnovers and penalties will be a critical factor.  We had an unusually good crew at the Mt Home game this Friday, so kudos to them...I don't usually see that at the high school level, but they were really good.  I look forward to seeing JB play, especially on offense.  The matchup will definitely be JB offense v. Benton defense.  Does JB run between tackles mostly or on the edges a lot?  Just wondering. Also, can you suggest some places to eat while in JB on Friday? 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 14, 2016, 10:43:45 am
The key for Benton will be our corners and safeties and can our DLine and LBs put pressure on JB QB in pass situations.  Several people have told me that Jonesboro plays tough at home and we know Adams will be tough to stop.  As always, turnovers and penalties will be a critical factor.  We had an unusually good crew at the Mt Home game this Friday, so kudos to them...I don't usually see that at the high school level, but they were really good.  I look forward to seeing JB play, especially on offense.  The matchup will definitely be JB offense v. Benton defense.  Does JB run between tackles mostly or on the edges a lot?  Just wondering. Also, can you suggest some places to eat while in JB on Friday?

Jonesboro runs both, a lot of zone read, mixed in with sweeps around the edge. When the get going, they'll snap it as quickly as possible.  They average around 200 yards a game, split amongst 3 backs.

As far as eating, Jonesboro has everything, especially chain wise. Around the stadium there's Demo BBQ, a catfish place, McD's, KFC/TB, Firehouse, and DQ. About 3-4 miles east on Stadium/RW, you'll find Chillis, 5 Guys Burgers, BWW, WingstoGo, and about 25 other places. If you want a little more eclectic, then head downtown past the stadium about 2 miles for Skinny J's, Godsey's, and another 10 or so. It would really depend on what you want.

Howloween

Quote from: ricepig on November 14, 2016, 11:09:18 am
Jonesboro runs both, a lot of zone read, mixed in with sweeps around the edge. When the get going, they'll snap it as quickly as possible.  They average around 200 yards a game, split amongst 3 backs.

As far as eating, Jonesboro has everything, especially chain wise. Around the stadium there's Demo BBQ, a catfish place, McD's, KFC/TB, Firehouse, and DQ. About 3-4 miles east on Stadium/RW, you'll find Chillis, 5 Guys Burgers, BWW, WingstoGo, and about 25 other places. If you want a little more eclectic, then head downtown past the stadium about 2 miles for Skinny J's, Godsey's, and another 10 or so. It would really depend on what you want.

Don't forget BA Eats (formerly BA Burrito) just down from Firehouse on Southwest Dr. Local joint with great food and a stones throw from Cooksey Johns field.

ricepig

Quote from: Howloween on November 14, 2016, 09:02:46 pm
Don't forget BA Eats (formerly BA Burrito) just down from Firehouse on Southwest Dr. Local joint with great food and a stones throw from Cooksey Johns field.

Yeah, truthfully there are so many choices, you kind of need to know what they are looking for in price range, how much time they have to eat, and what flavor?

The Future

I think this will be the 6A game of the week. Both offenses can score a lot.
Benton- 459 total points with 41 average per game. Scored at least 41 in each of their 7 wins
Jonesboro- 517 total points with 51 average per game. Scored at least 38 in all their 10 games, including their 1 loss.

Points allowed would go to Benton statistically with the Panthers having 2 shutouts and 5 games of 10 points or less. Jonesboro has allowed a lot of points scored on them, but still win due to their offense scoring more.
Each teams' strength of schedule has been about the same. Each had the couple cupcakes to pad stats against. But one could argue Benton's has been tougher because Jonesboro finished atop the East while Benton had to play the 3 teams above them, including top ranked Greenwood and Russellville who probably the 3rd best in 6A.

I think this game will either be over 80 points or under 40 points.
So either:
Jonesboro 49 Benton 35
OR
Jonesboro 24 Benton 14

Oldbadger

Hey, Ricepig, ya'lls visitors stands are really small.  What gives? 

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 14, 2016, 09:42:33 pm
Hey, Ricepig, ya'lls visitors stands are really small.  What gives?

We don't like visitors, lol.....

ricepig

Quote from: The Future on November 14, 2016, 09:42:00 pm
I think this will be the 6A game of the week. Both offenses can score a lot.
Benton- 459 total points with 41 average per game. Scored at least 41 in each of their 7 wins
Jonesboro- 517 total points with 51 average per game. Scored at least 38 in all their 10 games, including their 1 loss.

Points allowed would go to Benton statistically with the Panthers having 2 shutouts and 5 games of 10 points or less. Jonesboro has allowed a lot of points scored on them, but still win due to their offense scoring more.
Each teams' strength of schedule has been about the same. Each had the couple cupcakes to pad stats against. But one could argue Benton's has been tougher because Jonesboro finished atop the East while Benton had to play the 3 teams above them, including top ranked Greenwood and Russellville who probably the 3rd best in 6A.

I think this game will either be over 80 points or under 40 points.
So either:
Jonesboro 49 Benton 35
OR
Jonesboro 24 Benton 14

No way Benton holds Jonesboro to 24, or that Jonesboro holds Benton to 14, haha.This will be a game in the 30's minimum, assuming no rain Friday night.

Made

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2016, 10:24:29 am
Ok, thanks. If you can hold Jonesboro in the 20's, you'll deserve the win. I've only caught a few highlights of Benton on Channel 7, it looked like you had some speed/moves at WR, or could have been a RB with the pass.

The only team that beat them is the only team that held them to under 40

Oldbadger

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 07:14:41 am
We don't like visitors, lol.....
We'really gonna have to switch sides then.  Those small stands won't hold our band ,cheerleaders, and world famous Pepsteppers. Save the left side of them home stands for Benton fans.  Ya'll don't need them all.

B2 Stealth Bomber

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 15, 2016, 08:54:13 am
We'really gonna have to switch sides then.  Those small stands won't hold our band ,cheerleaders, and world famous Pepsteppers. Save the left side of them home stands for Benton fans.  Ya'll don't need them all.

I don't think that will be a problem.  This pic is from Friday night as the game was starting.  Home stands are not very full.

ricepig

I guess you won't need to bring them. If the weather is half-way nice, we'll fill up our side. They put up some temp bleachers in the end zone when Conway brings their 300 piece band, outside of that, it never fills up completely.

ricepig

Would those pepsteppers be the ones that always finish behind our dance team?

Oldbadger

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 09:47:41 am
Would those pepsteppers be the ones that always finish behind our dance team?
You guys have a dance team?  Who wouldda thought!  Our Pepsteppers are awesome, sure to win the halftime show!  However, I don't look for the weather to be halfway nice.  Calling for rain, rain, rain.  May be to Benton's advantage.  If we can get your recievers to slip and slide, maybe we can cover them.

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 15, 2016, 10:00:49 am
You guys have a dance team?  Who wouldda thought!  Our Pepsteppers are awesome, sure to win the halftime show!  However, I don't look for the weather to be halfway nice.  Calling for rain, rain, rain.  May be to Benton's advantage.  If we can get your recievers to slip and slide, maybe we can cover them.

There's a reason we lead all high schools in the state of Arkansas in AAA state championships, we dominate the country club sports, dance/cheer, and basketball/volleyball, lol. I think we only have 2 each in football and baseball.

T-Bone

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 15, 2016, 10:00:49 am

Canes won a few close ones and the one they let slip away was WM loss.  Out of all games that game stands out on dropped balls.  It was also the only game Canes played with some recent rains and moisture in the air.  Not making excuses.  Just stating facts.  WM did well and took advantage of it.  The number of drops seemed higher than any other game but could be wrong.  I actually agree the rain could hurt Canes in receiving.  But much like everything else both sides have to deal with weather conditions.  We have more than just passing game though if it does become a problem.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on November 15, 2016, 01:28:32 pm
Canes won a few close ones and the one they let slip away was WM loss.  Out of all games that game stands out on dropped balls.  It was also the only game Canes played with some recent rains and moisture in the air.  Not making excuses.  Just stating facts.  WM did well and took advantage of it.  The number of drops seemed higher than any other game but could be wrong.  I actually agree the rain could hurt Canes in receiving.  But much like everything else both sides have to deal with weather conditions.  We have more than just passing game though if it does become a problem.

22/32 with 3 INT's that game, so 7 missed passes according to MaxPreps stats which I assume comes from the coaching staff. I don't know how many of those 7 were drops.

T-Bone

November 15, 2016, 07:06:20 pm #28 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:16:49 pm by T-Bone
Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 04:22:32 pm
22/32 with 3 INT's that game, so 7 missed passes according to MaxPreps stats which I assume comes from the coaching staff. I don't know how many of those 7 were drops.

I saw some critical ones lost or my eyes were playing tricks on me.  It wasn't the QB but receiving.  They are all good WR's but I do believe many were critical drops on that one night.  The overall most critical catch turned out to be the one WM caught in last 6 seconds.  Even my side losing I enjoyed seeing the other team have their moment.  Great catch and moment for WM. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on November 15, 2016, 07:06:20 pm
I saw some critical ones lost or my eyes were playing tricks on me.  It wasn't the QB but receiving.  They are all good WR's but I do believe many were critical drops on that one night.  The overall most critical catch turned out to be the one WP caught in last 6 seconds.  Even my side losing I enjoyed seeing the other team have their moment.  Great catch and moment for WM.

Well, playing cover 1 on a last play of the game probably wasn't the best choice, either.

NEAInfo

Quote from: Made on November 15, 2016, 08:12:26 am
The only team that beat them is the only team that held them to under 40

With an exceptional amount of questionable calls. And the clock not starting when the ball was snapped then followed by stopping early on overthrows

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2016, 07:12:35 pm
Well, playing cover 1 on a last play of the game probably wasn't the best choice, either.

Still scratching my head over that call...

ricepig

Well, it appears that the rain will have moved out by kickoff, and dropping temps with a 15-20mph NW wind.

Oldbadger

I don't know which is worse, the wind or the rain.  One time I was in Jonesboro for a wedding.  The wind was gusting at 30 to 35 mph on an otherwise beautiful day.  When the bride threw the bouquet the wind caught it and it was never seen again.  Twelve single women have never married to this day as a result.  They are still searching for that bouquet.lol

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 17, 2016, 04:26:05 pm
I don't know which is worse, the wind or the rain.  One time I was in Jonesboro for a wedding.  The wind was gusting at 30 to 35 mph on an otherwise beautiful day.  When the bride threw the bouquet the wind caught it and it was never seen again.  Twelve single women have never married to this day as a result.  They are still searching for that bouquet.lol

Well, it's blowing hard today, but it's out of the southwest, about 80 degrees today, lol.

Oldbadger

Which way is best to travel from Benton to Jonesboro, through Forest City or through Searcy?

bulldogger15

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 18, 2016, 12:08:40 pm
Which way is best to travel from Benton to Jonesboro, through Forest City or through Searcy?
The Searcy route is a shorter distance and the roads are very good. If you're sentimental about the movie Forrest Gump, then the answer is Forrest City. They're both named after the same guy. Random facts...

Have a nice trip Oldbadger and good luck!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

admorris24

OB.  Searcy route is best.  Interstate completed about 20 miles past Newport now and then about 30 minutes from there to Jonesboro.  Pretty easy drive.

Oldbadger

Thanks, bulldogger15 and ADmorris.  I had thought that was the way to go too.  Not as many 18 wheelers that way either.  Looks like the rain is moving out, just hope it isn't too windy or cold.  Going prepared anyway.  Bulldogger15, I like Forrest Gump but not enough to go through Forrest City, lol.  Been through that town too many times.

T-Bone

November 18, 2016, 12:40:58 pm #39 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:44:31 pm by T-Bone

My opinion:  Benton to Jonesboro

Through Searcy.
Stay on 67 to 226 cutoff (Cash/Jonesboro/ASU)
Once your on 226 (going beside Cash) you will never get off it until you turn left in time into JHS parking lot. (As you get near Jonesboro the road will become 49 then as you cross bridge into town same road turns into Southwest Drive.)

So basically coming from Searcy you will turn one right and one left into JHS parking lot.)

ricepig

If I was you, I'd go by way of Helena.......  ;D

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on November 18, 2016, 12:44:14 pm
If I was you, I'd go by way of Helena.......  ;D

Helena?  That another hint.

Oldbadger

NOw I know why I don't listen to you guys!

Oldbadger

Thanks , T-bone for the direction! 

T-Bone

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 18, 2016, 03:30:36 pm
Thanks , T-bone for the direction!

Very easy.  But this cold wet weather will not be fun for the players.  Cold is one thing but wet and cold creates some non fun conditions.  I just hope and pray no injuries.  They need to stretch well since neither play in this type conditions often.

pine-ryder

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on November 18, 2016, 05:16:15 pm
Very easy.  But this cold wet weather will not be fun for the players.  Cold is one thing but wet and cold creates some non fun conditions.  I just hope and pray no injuries.  They need to stretch well since neither play in this type conditions often.

It's not playoff weather, unless it's cold. Truthfully, 50 degrees at kickoff isn't terribly cold, but the wind will not be as fun. Good luck to both teams.

The Future

OB11

Sounds like it's been a wild one.

beach bum

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas