• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is There A Sleeper Team In This Years 6A Playoff That Could Shock Us All

Started by TheESPNGuy, November 11, 2016, 09:18:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheESPNGuy

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/BOrL7FJtEea-8KA2nzwbTA/BOrMEFJtEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football-fall-16/2016-centennial-bank-state-football-playoffs--2016-6a-football-state-bracket--.htm

As I take a look at the 6A playoff bracket I couldn't help but wonder (again I'm just wondering because wacky things do and can happen) what if a team no one expects shock us all and find their way to the Championship Game in Little Rock come December 3rd. With the 6A playoffs kicking off tonight do you guys see any team out of the ordinary in terms of seeding that could perhaps make this magical run?

Wildcat Football

It would not surprise me in the least if Marion, West Memphis surprises some folks.  Most people are predicting GW & PB semi which would be a great game, and JB & Russellville in the other semi, also a great potential game.  But, don't discount LH, Benton too soon either.  If ED was healthy, they too would be in the mix, but not gonna happen this year.  IF JB and Russellville can just get a few defiencies worked out, they can play GW to the final drive if they meet up in a final.  Whoever wins will deserve it, there are some good games coming our way....can't wait!

Pr8hd

I'd say Russellville, but I am not sure based on their success this year they are a really a "sleeper" pick. I guess for a true sleeper I would say Marion.  If Marion were to make a run, it would be thru all 3 of the most recent past 6A champions. That's a pretty tall task, but you never know.   I would say ED as well, but they are just so ravaged by injuries it's hard to think they can survive plus they would have to win 3 all on the road. 

I do think like Wildcat said, most believe the chalk will hold to the semis with both #1's and #2's advancing to square off. This is the most likely scenario with the highest probability.

T-Bone

Most know who I support most but I truly believe JB has the talent to match any team they face.  Yes they will need to get stronger in areas but feel that should show as playoffs go.  Anything can happen and any team can make things work to the end but the Canes have what they need.  They just need to put it all on the field at the same time.

Pr8hd

Quote from: T-Bone on November 11, 2016, 09:41:10 am
Most know who I support most but I truly believe JB has the talent to match any team they face.  Yes they will need to get stronger in areas but feel that should show as playoffs go.  Anything can happen and any team can make things work to the end but the Canes have what they need.  They just need to put it all on the field at the same time.

Jonesboro would be considered a favorite to get there, but they would not fit the mold of a sleeper by any stretch.

T-Bone

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 11, 2016, 09:42:49 am
Jonesboro would be considered a favorite to get there, but they would not fit the mold of a sleeper by any stretch.

As I have only been on here for a short time it just seems that Jonesboro gets no respect on this site other than from a few.  It is PB, Greenwood, etc.  Nothing wrong with them since they have all proven to be good programs but Jonesboro just has not been given much respect.  I believe this is the year they earn more.

TheESPNGuy

Quote from: T-Bone on November 11, 2016, 09:41:10 am

Jonesboro is the #1 seed out of the East so they're expected to make some noise in this years playoffs. In terms of a lower seed around the 6A playoff landscape is whom I am speaking of. 

T-Bone

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 11, 2016, 09:48:34 am
Jonesboro is the #1 seed out of the East so they're expected to make some noise in this years playoffs. In terms of a lower seed around the 6A playoff landscape is whom I am speaking of.

I understand and we know it will probably happen somewhere in the playoffs.  I wish I could be at the Benton / MH game but can't be there.  Should be a good one.

Pr8hd

Quote from: T-Bone on November 11, 2016, 09:45:24 am
As I have only been on here for a short time it just seems that Jonesboro gets no respect on this site other than from a few.  It is PB, Greenwood, etc.  Nothing wrong with them since they have all proven to be good programs but Jonesboro just has not been given much respect.  I believe this is the year they earn more.

It's hard to think of a #1 seed as a sleeper. Everyone wants to talk about respect, or lack thereof, but the truth is, if you get there and hoist the trophy, the respect will come and you don't have to ask for it. You will have earned it and can do the mic drop.  ;D

Heck, even if your season ends at Little Rock, win or lose you you did something right and gave yourself a 50/50 chance. The real team to beat first and right now to me is PB. After all, they are the defending champs till someone says otherwise on the field.   Now, I realize JB got them in the reg season, but playoffs are win or hang em up for the season. So, every game you face a potential finality.

ricepig

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 11, 2016, 09:48:34 am

Obviously PB!  ;D   

2000ZEBRA

JB doesn't have any defense and they get to the semi's every year and lose, I would pick either Marion or West Memphis as a sleeper

ricepig

Quote from: 2000ZEBRA on November 11, 2016, 02:43:28 pm
JB doesn't have any defense and they get to the semi's every year and lose, I would pick either Marion or West Memphis as a sleeper

They had a good enough defense to beat PB, lol.

Pr8hd

Quote from: 2000ZEBRA on November 11, 2016, 02:43:28 pm

Defense or not, if they can't stop you either and you outscore them, it's all that matters.   

T-Bone

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 11, 2016, 03:05:34 pm
Defense or not, if they can't stop you either and you outscore them, it's all that matters.   

This has always been my baseball thoughts.  Pitching may be good or average but it doesn't matter if you have an offense that can put 10 on the board just about every game.  But with football I believe in our defense.  I see the struggles but I know the Canes have athletes on both sides of the football.  As one said not long ago lets see what they do on the field.  Talk is talk.  Proof is on the field when time runs out.

2000ZEBRA

T-Bone

Quote from: 2000ZEBRA on November 11, 2016, 04:59:29 pm
Defense wins games buddy

I hear you and have said similar before myself.  But then in the end it takes the offense to score before either team wins.  Unless the defense does the scoring and that is possible.

ricepig

SantaHog

El Dorado may be your sleeper this year.  Marion must be asleep.

zebrafan

sportsguy80

Quote from: SantaHog on November 11, 2016, 09:11:46 pm
El Dorado may be your sleeper this year.  Marion must be asleep.
Looks like Marion is ready for bball.

Pr8hd

T-Bone

WPWells

There are five teams that have statistical significance to win it all. Of the five, I'd say Benton would most qualify as a sleeper.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Quote from: T-Bone on November 12, 2016, 07:59:57 pm
Should be a battle.

If real Benton shows up, it's no contest. Same old 6A South formula...they play defense along with a very good offense.

rona

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 12, 2016, 10:36:50 pm
There are five teams that have statistical significance to win it all. Of the five, I'd say Benton would most qualify as a sleeper.

Tend to agree FB.

High Voltage

West Memphis. They could do it. They have talent, a good coach and some tradition. If they can put it all together they fit the sleeper mode.

I do agree with Benton to an extent.

maxswine

Quote from: High Voltage on November 13, 2016, 05:36:38 pm
West Memphis. They could do it. They have talent, a good coach and some tradition. If they can put it all together they fit the sleeper mode.

I do agree with Benton to an extent.

WM won the first round game with their backup QB.  Don't know if their regular QB will be back or not.  But the backup did a nice job against Arkansas.

bulldogger15

Based upon the belief by most of the Pine Bluff Zebras faithful, Greenwood at 10-0, ranked #1 in 6A and #3 overall could be picked as a sleeper.

Don't sleep on the Bulldogs....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Valleysports

Quote from: T-Bone on November 11, 2016, 09:45:24 am

Oh my good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!   ::)  Is this Mrs Ricepig?

T-Bone

Quote from: Valleysports on November 17, 2016, 01:00:07 pm
Oh my good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!   ::)  Is this Mrs Ricepig?

No mam!  And respect is earned on the field.  Lets see how it plays out this year.  Not past 100 years.

Valleysports

Quote from: T-Bone on November 17, 2016, 01:10:53 pm
No mam!  And respect is earned on the field.  Lets see how it plays out this year.  Not past 100 years.

Well make up your mind - earned on the field or whining in sports forum post?

jeffslilbro

well, it played out!

The Future

Jonesboro 2116 6A state champions!

bulldogger15

Quote from: The Future on November 20, 2016, 05:57:37 am
Jonesboro 2116 6A state champions!
+1 Jonesboro will probably not win a 6A football championship for at least 100 years.

If they do win in 2116, they can also celebrate the Greenwood Bulldogs 100th anniversary of winning the 2016 6A football championship.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Valleysports

Speaking of 100 years - in 100+ years, no Russellville team has ever won 11 games.  This team has that opportunity, this week.  I'm not saying Billy Dawson can turn a program around but - well actually that's exactly what I'm saying.  Win or Lose he's got the "It Factor" when it comes to coaching a program up! 

Pr8hd

Quote from: Valleysports on November 20, 2016, 01:22:01 pm
Speaking of 100 years - in 100+ years, no Russellville team has ever won 11 games.  This team has that opportunity, this week.  I'm not saying Billy Dawson can turn a program around but - well actually that's exactly what I'm saying.  Win or Lose he's got the "It Factor" when it comes to coaching a program up! 

He's done a great job this year. So has the Benton coach, (Harris) continuing on with what they have had building for a few years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas