• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016-17 NBA Season

Started by MDXPHD, October 26, 2016, 08:34:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigLion10

Clippers aquire Danilo Gallinari for a 3 year $65M contract

beach bum

This will be the look of the league in my opinion next year in the REGULAR SEASON....

West
1.Warriors
2.Thunder
3.Rockets
4.Spurs (the 2 through 4 seed will come down to the final days of the season they will be so close in record)
5.Nuggets
6.Timberwolves
7.Grizzlies
8.Blazers

9.Pelicans
10.Jazz
11.Clippers ( I think the 5-11 seeds here will be fairly close in record with a few solid teams missing the playoffs)
12.Kings
13.Lakers
14.Mavericks (I think everyone except the Suns would make the playoffs in the East)
15.Suns

East
1.Celtics
2.Cavs
3.Wizards
4.Bucks
5.Raptors
6.Heat
7.Sixers (what a 2 year jump from their 10-72 record two seasons ago)
8.Pistons

9.Hornets
10.Knicks
11.Magic (I think anyone up to here can get one of the last playoff spots)
12.Hawks
13.Bulls
14.Pacers
15.Nets (I think the bottom 4 in the East will be really bad because they are all rebuilding for the future)

RATTLER43

I like it.  But elaborate a little bit on how the Thunder make this giant leap.  I still have the Spurs and Rockets well above them. But these are predictions so I would like to read your rationale on OKC.

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 05, 2017, 09:47:51 am
I like it.  But elaborate a little bit on how the Thunder make this giant leap.  I still have the Spurs and Rockets well above them. But these are predictions so I would like to read your rationale on OKC.

I guess I am banking on the Thunder getting another three point shooter. Paul George will help that, but they need another one cause they were really bad at three's last year. One of the worst in the NBA if not the worst. Then I think losing some of those role players in Houston even with the addition of Paul will hurt them in the regular season. I do think they are built better for the postseason now though. Then with the Spurs Leonard is the man, but I think those players around him will be another year older and I think Pop will rest them throughout the year some and drop some games in the regular season. However, I think it will be very close between those three teams all sitting in the ball park of 53-56 wins and will all fluctuate between the 2 and 4 seed all year.

RATTLER43

Sound reasoning.  My biggest question is Aldridge with the Spurs. Will he be the Aldridge from previous years, last year's playoff Aldridge, worse, or replaced?  The center position for the Spurs is a big question mark.  I agree with Houston being built well for a playoff run.  I will sit back and see how the Thunder gel.  Pop has quietly added Leonard, Mills, and Simmons for youth and energy but for sure will rest Parker*, Ginobili*, and the older gents. 

The West is so tough.

BigLion10

Hearing the Celtics are going after Marc Gasol now from the Grizz

RATTLER43

Celtics really making a move to close the gap on Cleveland.

BigLion10

July 05, 2017, 01:01:12 pm #107 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:03:33 pm by BigLion10
Swaggy P Nick Young has agreed to a 1 year $5.2M deal with the NBA Champs GS Warriors

BigLion10

Dion Waters has agreed to a 4-year $52.7M deal to stay in Miami

BigLion10

Andre Robertson has agreed to a 3-year $30M deal to stay with the Thunder

BigLion10

Rudy Gay has agreed to a 2 year $17M deal with Spurs

BigLion10

Kelly Olynik has agreed to a 4-yr $50M deal with the Miami Heat

BigLion10

Vince Carter sings a 1-yr $8M deal with Sacremento 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: BigLion10 on July 06, 2017, 08:18:09 pm

YES.  He's the Julio Franco of the NBA.

BigLion10

Looks like the Celtics and Pistons are finalizing a trade that will send Avery Bradley to Detroit for Marcus Morris and a 2 round pick next season

BigLion10

Tyreke Evans has signed a 1-year $3.3M deal with the Grizz

mtindian42

Quote from: BigLion10 on July 06, 2017, 08:18:09 pm
lol dose this guy not age? Gezze!

BigLion10

Jamal Crawford per ESPN plans to sign a 2-yr $9M deal with the Twolves

BigLion10

James Harden signs a massive 4-year $228M extension with the Rockets he's not going anywhere for a while

BigLion10

Knicks sign second year guard Ron Baker to a 2-year $8.9M extension

BigLion10

FA Ketavious Caldwell-Pope signs a 1-year $18M deal with the Lakers

beach bum

Carmelo looks like he is likely on his way to Houston in way of a 4 team trade.... Houston must be wanting to get worse if they are expecting him to be a starter and key piece. He is getting old and plays zero defense!

BigLion10

Jazz to sign Forward Jonas Jerebko to a 2 year $8.9M deal

BigLion10

FA Erson Ilyasova agrees to a 1-year $6M deal to stay with Atlanta

Chief_Osceola™

I've never heard of about 90% of these guys.  I guess it shows how much I watch the NBA.  Just a terrible product outside of a few teams.

Longfellow

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on July 13, 2017, 09:30:13 am
I've never heard of about 90% of these guys.  I guess it shows how much I watch the NBA.  Just a terrible product outside of a few teams.
Terrible product? Is it terrible because you think the games aren't entertaining, or because you don't like the lack of parity? The NBA produces great basketball on a nightly basis

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Longfellow on July 13, 2017, 11:03:12 am
Terrible product? Is it terrible because you think the games aren't entertaining, or because you don't like the lack of parity? The NBA produces great basketball on a nightly basis

Yes & yes.  The games aren't entertaining because the league is watered down with a lack of good basketball players.  Elite athletes, yes, but not necessarily good basketball.  On your last point, I'd counter that outside of about 20% of the league, there is not 'great basketball.'  Decent entertainment, but not great basketball.

beach bum

I have seen enough NBA in person now to say the talent is not down.... NBA is the hardest sport to make it pro out of the major sports in the sense that only first round picks are guaranteed to make a roster spot. With only 13 roster spots for 30 teams your odds to make it to the NBA are slim to none. Even garbage teams like the Suns have a guy like Devin Booker who can throw up 70 points in a game. Compared to college very very few teams have a guy that is capable of taking a game over himself. I say this as a person that loves the college basketball atmosphere when a big crowd shows up. The only thing that matches that is postseason NBA games when it comes to the atmosphere.

RATTLER43

I am a huge NBA fan.  I think that athleticism in the league is as great as it has ever been.  I think rule changes have allowed for many with lesser skills of ball handling, passing, and shooting to be able to exist as long as they are athletic enough to do what is needed for that team.  As far as star power, the league is in a good place with Lebron, KD, Curry, Westbrook, Harden, etc.    There are some exceptionally skilled players in the league now.  But the evolution of the game and the rule changes allow lesser skilled players to flourish anyway; of course that has always existed to some degree (Wilt and Shaq couldn't shoot free shots; all the stars of the 80s walked without it getting called. I am also a believer that the league rules allowed for more physicality in the 80s and 90s - not that that was necessarily better but players who had the ball a lot had to know how to dribble and pass well and shooters had to be good even with much contact.)   I do believe it is at a time when comparisons to past is fun but very difficult to do.  Shooting:  Curry/KD vs Bird or Miller;  Driving:  Harden/Westbrook vs MJ; Finishing:  Leonard/Lebron vs. Dr. J;  Defense:  Leonard vs. Cooper or Pippen.  It is a lot of fun; there are some greats; but it is hard to tell since it has evolved so much.   Just some ramblings from a lifelong basketball fan.

beach bum

Very good points by rattler... I definitely agree on all the above. One thing that has changed now is the simple mathematics of putting points on the board in a different more efficient way. Shooting 33% from the three point line is the same as shooting 50% from two's. A team like the Warriors that have 4 or 5 guys that can shoot that high of a percentage from the three point line changed the game forever. The Rockets were so successful in the regular season because they bombed three's away like no other. Look how good the Cavs can look when they are splashing three's. Just imagine if the Cavs don't blow game 3 in the finals. I imagine the Warriors still win, but I think we see a 6 game or probably 7 game series.

RATTLER43

We see it through the same lens.   

More ramblings:  I still believe Bird and Curry (no offense to other great shooters) are the greatest shooters I've witnessed.  But it is next to impossible to choose who is better due to the game and rules.  Rules led to dominant big men in Bird's day so he took fewer outside shots than today's great shooters.  Bird could hit shots with defenders hanging onto him, shoving him, etc due to allowance of more physicality.   
Would Bird put up tons of threes if he played in today's NBA?  Could Curry hit these high percentages if physicality were still allowed?   Either way, both are incredible and I enjoy watching them and their respective games.

Longfellow

Bird led the league in made 3 pointers one year, and he made 86

Chief_Osceola™

July 13, 2017, 11:29:41 pm #132 Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:35:46 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 13, 2017, 09:13:10 pm
We see it through the same lens.   

More ramblings:  I still believe Bird and Curry (no offense to other great shooters) are the greatest shooters I've witnessed.  But it is next to impossible to choose who is better due to the game and rules.  Rules led to dominant big men in Bird's day so he took fewer outside shots than today's great shooters.  Bird could hit shots with defenders hanging onto him, shoving him, etc due to allowance of more physicality.   
Would Bird put up tons of threes if he played in today's NBA?  Could Curry hit these high percentages if physicality were still allowed?   Either way, both are incredible and I enjoy watching them and their respective games.

Pat Riley had a great quote about Bird - he said he'd take Jordan to take the shot with a game on the line; he'd want Bird to take the shot with his life on the line.

RATTLER43

Great quote!   Sums it up very well.

BigLion10

Former Spur Jonathon Simmons agrees to 3-year deal with the Magic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on July 13, 2017, 10:45:11 pm
Bird led the league in made 3 pointers one year, and he made 86

Bird also didn't grow up with a 3 point shot(his rookie season was first  year the NBA used the 3 pt line).Curry throws up more 3's in a season than Bird attempted in his career...

BigLion10

Pelicans and FA Rajon Rondo agree to a 1-year deal

beach bum

Quote from: BigLion10 on July 15, 2017, 11:01:03 am
Pelicans and FA Rajon Rondo agree to a 1-year deal

If he wants it he can be productive for another year or two.... and the perfect pass first guy for those two big guys. Not a shabby pick up by the Pelicans even though Rondo and Cousins are some knuckleheads. I feel bad for Anthony Davis cause he is such a good guy.

BigLion10

Derrick Rose signs a 1yr-$2.1M deal with Cavs

beach bum

Holy smokes..... Is the Kyrie for Isiah Thomas trade true? Also, I heard the Cavs are getting the Celtics first round pick which originally was the Nets so we are talking a top 3 pick in next years draft for the Cavs and Jae Crowder. I think both sides got a lot of good from this trade. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

BigLion10

Only problem I potentially see is IT is a FA as well as Lebron next summer, so if LeBron walks I could see IT leaving as well

beach bum

Quote from: BigLion10 on August 22, 2017, 10:11:31 pm
Only problem I potentially see is IT is a FA as well as Lebron next summer, so if LeBron walks I could see IT leaving as well

It will definitely be interesting if Lebron does actually leave.... Cleveland got that pick which was originally was the Nets. They better thank the Nets for that trade where they sent Boston all those picks a couple years back. The Eastern Conference finals sure did take a plot twist for next May. There won't be a lot of love between the two teams for sure.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas