• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mystery official

Started by Oldbadger, October 01, 2016, 10:13:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldbadger

Last night at the Benton/Siloam game there was an official dressed in all black with white stripes down the leg that wasn't participating in the game.  He would sometimes meet in a huddle with the officials but then would go off to the sideline and seemed to be taking notes.  Never have I ever seen this before.  Who is this? Not his name of course but his job?

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

An observer there to watch the crew and grade them?

Oldbadger

Have you seen this before?  I was thinking an evaluator or a mentor!

sweets

Could be a number of things. One of the crew might be hurt and that official was there to fill a spot, if needed. The evaluators usually set in the stands making notes, then come see us during halftime, after the game, or sometimes not at all.   The crew that worked that game is one of the best in the state so possibly they were helping train someone. 

arreferee

Quote from: sweets on October 03, 2016, 09:54:41 am
possibly they were helping train someone. 

This would be my first guess.  When I still worked high school football, we took new officials with us every once in a while for them to watch and learn. 

I don't think it would be an observer as they would probably sit in the stands or the press box to get a better view of the whole field.

Oldbadger

Thanks guys, I got a PM from the Referee and they WERE training someone to fill a slot that will be vacated on their crew.  I agree, and I told him, they were the best I have seen for several years.  Too bad we (Benton) couldn't have them every game. lol. I had just never noticed before. 

Rida4Life

more crews should do this.  Quality of officiating in Arkansas has dropped to a pathetic level.  Good to see a good crew passing it on!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: arreferee on October 03, 2016, 10:00:04 am
This would be my first guess.  When I still worked high school football, we took new officials with us every once in a while for them to watch and learn. 

I don't think it would be an observer as they would probably sit in the stands or the press box to get a better view of the whole field.
Everyone has a better view from the stands lol.

beach bum

Quote from: Oldman on October 03, 2016, 03:17:52 pm
Everyone has a better view from the stands lol.

I used to never be that way, but every year that goes by and I get older the worse it gets. It should be the opposite but we all have eyes of a hawk up from the bleachers. You think I'd be making 250,000 a year as an NFL ref as much as I think I know.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas