• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead ball and live ball fouls

Started by SUGARTOWN, September 28, 2016, 08:58:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Last Friday we had an offensive holding call a few yards downfield followed by a late hit out of bounds on the defense. The play gained about 6-7 yards, the holding call was about 4 yards beyond the original LOS. How should these penalties have been marked off?

Rulesman

Assuming this was a running play the basic spot for penalty enforcement is the end of the run. Fouls that occur behind the basic spot are enforced from the spot of the foul. If B accepts the foul for OH it would be enforced from there.

B's foul for LTO would then be enforced from the succeeding spot.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Rulesman on September 28, 2016, 11:18:09 am
Assuming this was a running play the basic spot for penalty enforcement is the end of the run. Fouls that occur behind the basic spot are enforced from the spot of the foul. If B accepts the foul for OH it would be enforced from there.

B's foul for LTO would then be enforced from the succeeding spot.

So if I'm reading this correctly, the holding penalty would be marked off first (spot foul), then 15 yards back the other way for the late hit?

arreferee

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 28, 2016, 01:14:27 pm
So if I'm reading this correctly, the holding penalty would be marked off first (spot foul), then 15 yards back the other way for the late hit?

Yes, that's right.  Take care of any and all live ball fouls first.  Then worry about the dead ball fouls.

Rulesman

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 28, 2016, 01:14:27 pm
Correct if it happened as you described in the OP.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Rulesman on September 28, 2016, 05:18:38 pm
Correct if it happened as you described in the OP.

That's what I thought and how I explained that it should be to our listeners on the radio. However, the refs marked off the 15 yard late hit penalty from the end of the run and then marked it back 10 yards for the holding. I didn't think that was correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Rulesman

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 28, 2016, 06:17:09 pm
That's what I thought and how I explained that it should be to our listeners on the radio. However, the refs marked off the 15 yard late hit penalty from the end of the run and then marked it back 10 yards for the holding. I didn't think that was correct. Thanks for the clarification.
Anytime 👍👍

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas