• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Controlling the Clock

Started by SantaHog, September 20, 2016, 02:15:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaHog

The home team has a big lead late in the game, but no mercy rule in effect.  After a change of possession, the head coach for the home team looks up to the press box and very noticeably signals for the clock operator to wind the clock.  The teams are just coming onto the field and the ball hasn't even been spotted, but the clock starts running.  The officials don't notice and neither does the visiting team.  Does anyone see a problem with this?

Rulesman

I see officials not doing their job.

arreferee

Quote from: Rulesman on September 20, 2016, 05:26:07 pm
I see officials not doing their job.

I agree.  I also see a huge ethical issue with that coach. 

Lions84

Sad it it really happening anywhere.

minerjack

Most officials don't mind the clock rolling.  Regardless of the situation.  They won't say a word until the opposing coach complains.

sweets

I wouldn't say "most officials" don't mind the clock rolling when it shouldn't be.  Did the crazy weather last week play a role here?  There were games cancelled and/or shortened in a few areas of the state.  Maybe that had something to do with it, and both coaches and the officials had decided at halftime.  I'm not saying that is what happened and it should not have been the coach winding the clock, anyway!!  Just an idea, the white hat or back judge, which ever one was facing the scoreboard, would have noticed the clock moving before the ball was snapped.

SantaHog

Weather was not an issue.  The officials were pre-occupied with changing positions and changing out the footballs, due to the change of possession.  At least ten seconds ran off before the ball was spotted, but neither team was on the field.  Like I said, the home team had a big lead and both teams were substituting back-up players in the game to get some playing time.   

sweets

Then there is no excuse for the officiating crew or the coach.   

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Clock operator shouldn't be even looking at the coach.  He/she starts & stops when signaled.  Not their job to decide if right or wrong.  White hat should be in control.  If not, then need a new white hat.

BrianfromCarlisle

I can't stand when officials skirt rules in order to keep clock moving. I keep the clock, and it happens way too much.

Jack1990

I do the same and feel just as you do Brian.

arreferee

September 22, 2016, 01:25:21 pm #11 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:27:38 pm by arreferee
Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on September 22, 2016, 11:52:44 am
I can't stand when officials skirt rules in order to keep clock moving. I keep the clock, and it happens way too much.

I'm not sure what kind of response you would get, but you should bring this to the attention of the AAA.  Officials shouldn't be running the clock when it's not supposed to be.

At the least, you should go to their dressing room after the game and ask them why they did it.  Just approach it as you are trying to learn and what they did was new to you.  If both coaches agreed to something that you aren't aware of, that's one thing.  If they did it just to get the game over faster, that's a whole different subject.

Rulesman

I don't think you meant to encourage a fan to go to the official's dressing room for any reason. At least I hope not!

Jack1990

He was encouraging a clock operator to go discuss with the officials.

BrianfromCarlisle

I am the clock operator Rulesman. And I speak with the officials before every game to make sure we are on same page.
I even go in at half in occasion if we need to clarify anything. 
Even so, I can't tell you how many times I've had them purposely want me to keep clock running after an incompletion or a run out of bounds. Usually in the second half. 
And it's not always in games that are 20 plus point difference. What I hate is that I have to run it when they say. Even if I know for 100% certainty that they are wrong in doing so.  I feel like they are cheating the kids out of their game, and are only there to get paid and go.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on September 22, 2016, 03:10:54 pm
I am the clock operator Rulesman. And I speak with the officials before every game to make sure we are on same page.
Even so, I can't tell you how many times I've had them purposely want me to keep clock running after an incompletion or a run out of bounds. Usually in the second half. 
And it's not always in games that are 20 plus point difference. What I hate is that I have to run it when they say. Even if I know for 100% certainty that they are wrong in doing so.  I feel like they are cheating the kids out of their game, and are only there to get paid and go.

I also have run the clock before.  I have had the ref roll the clock coming out of timeout with 2 seconds left.....the buzzer sounded and the clock was reset and done correctly.  I got some crazy looks from the home fans, but my job was to run it when he says to run it and stop it when he says to stop it.  The clock-keeper is an extension of the referee who has no thought process as far as the clock.  If refs speed up the game it needs to be addressed through the proper channels. 

I've seen it all Brian.  The home fans don't know the refs, but they can sure rib you on the street!!!

arreferee

Quote from: Rulesman on September 22, 2016, 01:48:43 pm
I don't think you meant to encourage a fan to go to the official's dressing room for any reason. At least I hope not!

No, I knew he was the clock operator and would have been in the dressing room before the game...or should have been. :)

Rulesman

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on September 22, 2016, 03:10:54 pm
One phone call to LR by your Supt, Principal or AD will solve that problem.

~WPS~

This is off topic but... If a game is in the mercy rule, could a team take a delay of game instead of running a play or kneeling towards the end of the game and the clock continue to run?

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: ~WPS~ on September 23, 2016, 09:21:05 am
This is off topic but... If a game is in the mercy rule, could a team take a delay of game instead of running a play or kneeling towards the end of the game and the clock continue to run?

I believe they could.  The game can end on an offensive penalty, but not a defensive penalty.  Clock only stops in mercy rule during a time out, so I think they could just not snap it. 

Rulesman

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on September 23, 2016, 02:03:44 pm
I believe they could.  The game can end on an offensive penalty, but not a defensive penalty.  Clock only stops in mercy rule during a time out, so I think they could just not snap it. 
You have reading up to do on both penalty administration at the end of the half/game, and also when the clock stops in a mercy room game.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: Rulesman on September 23, 2016, 05:07:22 pm
You have reading up to do on both penalty administration at the end of the half/game, and also when the clock stops in a mercy room game.

Why don't you enlighten us?  Much easier than reading.

arreferee

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on September 26, 2016, 09:20:37 am

I believe this is the up-to-date rule:

After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35 points or more for 11- man football, the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will be stopped. The clock will be stopped when:
1)      An official's time-out is called
    a)      when a first down is declared
    b)      following a change of team possession
    c)      to dry or change a game ball
2)      A charged time-out is called
3)      At the end of a period
4)      A score occurs

Note: The clock will continue to run in all other situations.

Rulesman

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on September 26, 2016, 09:20:37 am
Somewhere you alluded to the fact you were an official. No more needs to bee said.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: arreferee on September 26, 2016, 09:39:02 am
I believe this is the up-to-date rule:

After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35 points or more for 11- man football, the following changes, and only these changes, will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will be stopped. The clock will be stopped when:
1)      An official’s time-out is called
    a)      when a first down is declared
    b)      following a change of team possession
    c)      to dry or change a game ball
2)      A charged time-out is called
3)      At the end of a period
4)      A score occurs

Note: The clock will continue to run in all other situations.

This is the playoff and official version. Most places during the regular season, both coaches agree to run it except during timeouts.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: Rulesman on September 26, 2016, 11:20:37 am
Somewhere you alluded to the fact you were an official. No more needs to bee said.

Got me confused with someone else!!! 

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: Oldman on September 26, 2016, 11:43:54 am
This is the playoff and official version. Most places during the regular season, both coaches agree to run it except during timeouts.

That's how I've seen it enforced.  Clock runs except for timeouts.  I'm definitely not an official.....but I've been accused of much worse things.

arreferee

Quote from: Oldman on September 26, 2016, 11:43:54 am

Unfortunately, I don't think the coaches can do that by rule.  They can agree to shorten the quarters, but they can't agree to run the clock without stopping except for timeouts.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: arreferee on September 26, 2016, 12:47:22 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think the coaches can do that by rule.  They can agree to shorten the quarters, but they can't agree to run the clock without stopping except for timeouts.
I've done it many times running the clock in the last 15 years. The officials tell me at the half that both coaches agree and not to stop it unless there is a time out. They may not can "by rule" but it happens a lot. Just during the regular season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas