• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MVP of the State Meets (Just 1A/2A/3A/4A/5A So far)

Started by AT, May 11, 2016, 09:07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

May 11, 2016, 09:07:57 pm Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:14:28 am by Almatrackster
First off, I've done this for a couple of years and it's one of my favorite things I do here because it recognizes the hard working athletes.

No, I have no delusions that this MVP thing I do means anything more than just a few more encouraging words about an athlete.

Do you just use the high point athlete from the meets?
I have not held myself to that restriction although I do usually end up doing this. I've only broke away from this once, which was last year. I go in and look at what athlete carried their team to a win. Sometimes it's difficult (Bentonville's girls last year were loaded and had such a well rounded team, it was a tough choice). But yes I do always choose from the winning team. The closest I have come to not choosing the athlete from the winning team was when Grant Williams of Lake Hamiton pulled the distance triple a couple of years back in a runner up finish (winning the 800, 1600, 3200). Why do I choose from the winning team? Well just think of it as an NBA finals MVP. Usually you are going to choose the NBA Finals MVP, you usually choose from the NBA champions. Now Athlete of the year can be something else someone else does...

Without further ado..

1A Girls MVP
Well right off the bat, I'm going to break the mold again and not use the high point from the state winning team. Trinity Christian won the state meet with a 123.5 points...runner up Kingston had 62 points. They were .5 points away from being doubling up all their competition. With that being said, that means Trinity Christian has a large amount of athletes scoring a large amount of points and that makes this tough. They are like Bentonville's girls from the last two years. They didn't need one girl to push them over the top, they used all their girls to their max. Elizabeth Gillette was not the highest scoring athlete on her team, that would be Sydney Cowgill, but Elizabeth has been the face of this team the past few years and I think it's appropriate that a girl who can compete with the distance runners of 7A should be the MVP of their team. She finished 2nd in the 1600, 1st in the 3200, was part of the winning 4 x 400 relay team, and part of the winning 4 x 800 relay team. So she was All State in 4 events and a state champion in three of them. This is Elizabeth's 2nd straight MVP. Congrats to an outstanding career, Elizabeth. See you at the Meet of Champs.

1A Boys MVP
Last year this team popped up named "Jacksonville Lighthouse" in the results from different meets. You see these new charter schools pop up every once in awhile, but usually they may have one or two good athletes and not much else. This year Jacksonville Lighthouse had some outstanding athletes and some good performances from other team members to push them to a state title. The first thing I remember from last year is that Jacksonville Lighthouse had a kid smoking it in the sprints named Jordan Mcnair. He was running sprints just as fast as any other kid in the state. Very talented athlete. Caddo Hills and Trinity Christian were my favorites to win the 1A state meet because I didn't think Jacksonville Lighthouse had enough depth to beat them, but Jordan, Robert Whitfield, and others made this happen! Jordan won the 100, 200, part of the winning 4 x 100 relay, 2nd in the long jump, and 2nd in the triple jump. Jordan was all state in 5 events at a state meet where they only won by 7 points! Talking about stepping it up big time to win a state championship!

AT

May 13, 2016, 11:17:05 am #1 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:28:42 am by Almatrackster
2A Girls MVP
Magnet Cove's girls finally got over the hump and won a state championship. They had an outstanding all around performance by Faith Linam. But the biggest performance came from a freshman distance runner named Kristen Teeter. Kristen finished 5th in the 1600, 2nd in the 3200, 2nd in the 800, was part of the winning 4 x 800 meter relay team. Kristen's 3200 meter performance is what pushed Magnet Cove over the top.

2A Boys MVP
It's really hard to pick the MVP for the Lafayette County track and field team. You had Tredarius Burks throwing and even helping out in the sprint relay. You had Dewayne Cornish jumping for big points. But I think the best performance of the meet came from Lepatrick Miller who won the high jump, finish fourth in the long jump, and 5th in the triple jump. What makes this so tough is that Lafayette County had so many possible athletes for their relays but they didn't report who was on the sprint relay so it's possible Lepatrick was part of the 4th place 4 x 100.

AT

May 13, 2016, 12:03:34 pm #2 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:59:18 pm by Almatrackster
3A Girls MVP
Once again, Genoa Central dominates the competition to win back to back state track meets. Even after losing last year's MVP, Genoa Central just reloads and scores 123 points with the next closes team scoring 53 points. To do that, you have to be a very well rounded team, but one name did keep coming up and that would be Elizabeth Clinton who finished 3rd in the long jump, 2nd in the triple jump, 3rd in the 100 meter dash, 2nd in the 400 meter dash, 7th in the 200 meter dash, and was part of the 2nd place 4 x 400 meter relay team. Elizabeth maxed out in her events and scored 32 points. Incredible performance for her.

3A Boys MVP
The Genoa Central boys went into this state meet with a chance of winning but it really looked like Prescott had the best chance. But the Genoa Central boys really stepped up to the plate. Especially Hayden Hampton and Tyler Moreland. Tyler finished 7th in the shot put, 2nd in the discus throw, 2nd in the 110 hurdles, 1st in the 300 hurdles, and was on the record breaking 4 x 400 meter relay team. Tyler was the not so usual thrower/hurdler and he used that strange mix of athleticism to push Genoa Central to a team title.

AT

4A Girls MVP
Out of all the state meets, this was the most exciting one. It came down to a Pulaski Robinson athlete stumbling in the hurdles to push Ashdown to the win. Although it did take a little luck for Ashdown to get back to back state titles, they had to put themselves in position to win...mainly on the back of one young lady named ShaCoya Poole. This is ShaCoya's 2nd MVP of her career. She finished 1st in the high jump, 2nd in the triple jump, 1st in the 100 hurdles, 4th in the 100 dash, 3rd in the 300 hurdles, and 3rd in the 200 dash. Ashdown beat Robinson 60-59 and ShaCoy scored an outstanding 45 of those points. Unbelievable performance.

4A Boys MVP
As a theme among the 4A State meet, Heber Springs also won back to back titles, but didn't have to rely on a team to be DQ'd this time. Jesse Applewhite continued the long, tradition of outstanding Heber Springs runners. He was apart of the winning 4 x 800 meter relay team, won the 1600 meter run, won the 800 meter run, and finished 8th in the 3200 meter run. Jesse's finishing in the top 8 in all the distance races helped propel Heber springs to another state title in Heber Springs fashion, on the backs of distance runners.

AT

5A Girls MVP
For back to back years, the MVP easily goes to Briana Hardiman of Magnolia. The Magnolia Panthers really came on strong later in the year as a team, but so did Briana as an individual. She finished 1st in the long jump, 3rd in the triple jump, 1st in the 100 meter dash, was probably apart of the 2nd place 4 x 100 meter relay team, and finished 1st in the 200 meter dash. Briana scored 38 points for her team who won by 22 points over Maumelle. Briana was all state in 4 events.

5A Boys MVP
Forrest City finally got over the hump in 5A and did it with the help of sprint/jump star Leon Smith. Leon was asked to do a lot and he delivered in spectacular fashion. Leon finished 3rd in the long jump, 2nd in the triple jump, 1st in the 100 meter dash, 4th in the 400 meter dash, and 1st in the 200 meter dash. He was not reported to participate in either relay although he certainly may have in one of them. Leon's teammate Kendrell Johnson had a big part in FC winning a state title too. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas