• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State: No Players from Arkansas

Started by Grond, December 20, 2015, 10:08:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

December 20, 2015, 10:08:06 am Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 08:30:18 pm by Grond
Arkansas State, a D1 college in Jonesboro (northeast Arkansas), has NO players from ARKANSAS on their listed roster.

It may be legal, but it just seems wrong.  :'(

There are five D1 basketball colleges in Arkansas. Here is their listed roster, and the number of Arkansas players.

COLLEGE            ROSTER                   FROM ARKANSAS

U of A                    14                               5

Ark. State               12                               0

UALR                      17                               4

UCA                       14                               2

UAPB                      15                               5

This information comes from the rosters listed at the school websites.

UAPB is the only college that even has a TRUE FRESHMAN from ARKANSAS listed on their roster. Ouch!  :-[

[EDIT: This is for the Men's team. Thank you NEA Razorback olfan for providing info for the Women's team.]

ASU Lady Red Wolves -Arkansas players

5'8 Brittney Gill- Pine Bluff
5'10 Akasha Westbrook- Malvern
5'8 Jamie Ruffins - Little Rock
5'8 Brittany Fowler- BIC
5'8 Christal Holloway- Little Rock
5'8 Kylie Ladd- Ozark
5'10 Jessica Flanery- Mt View

New signees

Payton Tennison -Valley Springs -

ricepig

Well, it's not from the lack of offers lately, it's more tied to the current coach, status of the program, and better offers.

NEA Razorback olfan

Explains why there is basically not much attendance at the Red Wolves games

Grond

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2015, 10:33:41 am
Well, it's not from the lack of offers lately, it's more tied to the current coach, status of the program, and better offers.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but can you elaborate on the "better offers"? Are NEA players going to other colleges?

ricepig

Quote from: Grond on December 20, 2015, 10:43:23 am
Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2015, 10:33:41 am

I'm not disagreeing with you, but can you elaborate on the "better offers"? Are NEA players going to other colleges?

Ross to Lehigh
Pointer to College of Charleston

Yes, they went to better offers, ASU isn't thought of that highly in the basketball world.

neds

Brady moving on is a blessing for this program

NEA Razorback olfan

I haven't went to an ASU men's Basketball game in 2 or 3 years

OlGuyWicker

I also see a larger number of foreign students at the D-2 schools.  Federal and state money going to foreign students.

NEA Razorback olfan

5'8 Brittany Fowler- BIC
5'8 Kylie Ladd- Ozark

New signees

Grond

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 21, 2015, 04:01:13 pm

5'8 Brittany Fowler- BIC
5'8 Kylie Ladd- Ozark

New signees

Good info. Well done.  ;)

I only looked at the Men's team.

ISU7

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 20, 2015, 10:34:35 am

So, people only will come to see locals? How about a good team without Arkansas kids, or very many of them?

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 09:27:38 am

So, people only will come to see locals? How about a good team without Arkansas kids, or very many of them?

Honestly I enjoy going and watching High school games a lot more than going and watching ASU men's Basketball , I have no one playing basketball anymore but I enjoy going and watching Brookland's Boys and Girls teams play. I know  the coaches and most of the parents on the teams so it's fun to visit and talk with them about the teams. Plus I know a lot of coaches , players , and refs .  I also go and watch our 4-6 grades boys and girls play and see what talent we have coming up down the road, and a few players go to my church.
That keeps me pretty busy during basketball season.   8)

beach bum

December 22, 2015, 09:55:19 am #13 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:58:11 am by beach bum
Quote from: OlGuyWicker on December 21, 2015, 12:02:14 am
I also see a larger number of foreign students at the D-2 schools.  Federal and state money going to foreign students.

You sound like the people that say "they're taking our jobs".....  quit making excuses, work harder, become a better athlete & student if you don't want a "foreigner" taking a kids spot here in the United States! It is that simple. That line is always an excuse for being out worked or simply not being good enough to cut it. Its the same thing going on with some posters whining about the private schools in Arkansas winning too much. Who cares? Quit making excuses, work harder, and become smarter and beat what is in front of you.

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 22, 2015, 09:50:15 am
Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 09:27:38 am

Honestly I enjoy going and watching High school games a lot more than going and watching ASU men's Basketball , I have no one playing basketball anymore but I enjoy going and watching Brookland's Boys and Girls teams play. I know  the coaches and most of the parents on the teams so it's fun to visit and talk with them about the teams. Plus I know a lot of coaches , players , and refs .  I also go and watch our 4-6 grades boys and girls play and see what talent we have coming up down the road, and a few players go to my church.
That keeps me pretty busy during basketball season.   8)

Oh, no doubt. I enjoy the local high school action over ASU. My youngest likes the Grizzly's and I have access to some good seats, so I catch a few just to watch some incredible athletes. I don't follow the NBA, but those guys can play.

Missco

At one point ASU was a pretty good mid- major in the the late 80s and 90s. A few of Dickie's team were even decent. The program has hit rock bottom under Brady. He has been terrible for the program.

Oldref

I understand you can't have a division 1 college team made up totally of kids from NEA. I do believe to NEVER have a local kid on the roster is just simply bad business for ASU. Actually I am not sure ASU would be any worse off right now with a team made up of all Arkansas kids. At least there would be some fan interest. I, a casual fan, can't even name one kid on their roster these days. They should go all out to sign at least one local kid every other year or so. What could it hurt at this point? I am not sure what has happened but the ASU program is grave yard dead right now.

chickasaw fan

I would like to see an Arkansas kid on the roster as well. But sometimes during recruiting, that player is not available. Whether its grades, size, speed, position, tv exposure, or maybe a kid doesn't like the area. Also head coaches use there assistants as recruiters. Look at where the assistants came from. I bet there are kids from them areas. As far as NEA area I'm not sure there are any D1 players. Maybe 2 at the most!!! Its a big world outside of NEA.!!!!!

NEA Razorback olfan

December 22, 2015, 03:42:47 pm #19 Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:44:40 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
ASU 2016 Baseball Roster -Arkansas Players

Bryan Ayers  -Vilonia Ark RHP
Derek Birginske- Russellville  Ark
Matt Burgess - Greenbrier Ark
Garret Huff - Genoa Ark
Cody Jackson - Hot Springs Ark
Cole Jenkins - Little Rock Ark LHP
Tanner Kirby - Maumelle Ark RHP
Coulton Lee - Benton Ark LHP
Dalton Lovell - Harrison Ark
JD Miller  - Sherwood Ark
Zachary Patterson - Cabot Ark RHP
JD Rainwater - Jonesboro Ark
Tanner Ring - Batesville Ark
Bo Ritter- Hot Springs Ark
Garrett Rucker - Arkadelphia Ark
Tim Seldomridge - Rogers Ark
Kollin Stone - Lake City Ark
Drew Tipton - Bryant Ark
Eric Wilcoxon - Walnut Ridge Ark
Tyler Zuber - White Hall Ark RHP

20 out of a 35 total roster
I believe they also have 2-3 from Star City Ark  signed for next year

Silky Johnson

It is a big world but ASU isn't pulling any great players in from other areas. They talk about the NEA tourney dying yet I see more people there the last few days of it than I see at Red Wolve's games. The most attended game I was at would have to be after the ice storm in 08 or 09 when they played WKU with Jeremy Evans and he had a dunk fest. Sadly for ASU the game was either free to attend or tix were just incredibly cheap.

Rulesman

I've always wondered why ASU doesn't actively recruit the Memphis area on a regular basis. It's what, just 60-65 miles from the Convocation Center to the bridge?

Some on Memphis' best teams were Memphis area kids. There've been a LOT of quality players coming out of those ranks. Truth be known, the same applies to Ole Miss and the Razorbacks.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Silky Johnson on December 22, 2015, 03:46:09 pm
It is a big world but ASU isn't pulling any great players in from other areas. They talk about the NEA tourney dying yet I see more people there the last few days of it than I see at Red Wolve's games. The most attended game I was at would have to be after the ice storm in 08 or 09 when they played WKU with Jeremy Evans and he had a dunk fest. Sadly for ASU the game was either free to attend or tix were just incredibly cheap.

Always a big crowd on Championship night at the NEA Tourney, I Havent missed One of those in a long time!!

ricepig

Quote from: Rulesman on December 22, 2015, 03:48:33 pm
I've always wondered why ASU doesn't actively recruit the Memphis area on a regular basis. It's what, just 60-65 miles from the Convocation Center to the bridge?

Some on Memphis' best teams were Memphis area kids. There've been a LOT of quality players coming out of those ranks. Truth be known, the same applies to Ole Miss and the Razorbacks.

You have to "play" the AAU game to get a quality basketball player out of Memphis, fact.

Rulesman

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 04:39:42 pm

You have to "play" the AAU game to get a quality basketball player out of Memphis, fact.
Ron Crawford was pretty good at it back in the day.

ricepig

Quote from: Rulesman on December 22, 2015, 07:31:35 pm

True, but he's in LR, haha.

neds

I think Little Rock (formerly UALR) is on the right track. Stetson Billings is getting some good playing time under their new coach this year. Coach Beard added Wes Flannigan to the staff and that will be a big boost to recruiting for this program. I also see them grabbing some good Arkansas talent.
It looks like AR St. and Little Rock are going in two different directions.

Rulesman

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 07:33:28 pm

Can you say Dwight Stewart, Corey Beck and Todd Day? Crawford did his fair share of travel up and down I-40.

ricepig

Quote from: Rulesman on December 22, 2015, 09:34:32 pm
Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2015, 07:33:28 pm

Can you say Dwight Stewart, Corey Beck and Todd Day? Crawford did his fair share of travel up and down I-40.

Scott Edgar got Day, and the other two came from JUCO, not the same as dealing with an AAU handler for a top recruit.

Redwolves8526

As a big Red Wolves fan, the state of the program is extremely disappointing. Not getting the local kids from JHS (Ross, Pointer, etc) and other in state talent is unacceptable. This is Brady's last year, so whoever gets the job will have to start from scratch. I'm not sure how he made it to the final 4 at LSU (probably got lucky recruiting) but whatever magic he had never made it to ASU. His teams play a slow, boring game. We are undersized, we have no depth, and we don't have any shooters. It's pathetic.

Baller_34

2-0 in conference so far lol, just had to throw that in for fun.

Bulldog92

Quote from: Baller_34 on January 04, 2016, 10:50:53 am
2-0 in conference so far lol, just had to throw that in for fun.
But they have only played two of the four worse teams in the conference

Baller_34

They won at Troy who took Ole Miss to overtime in Oxford

Grond

Was told that a northeast Arkansas player walked-on at ASU Men's basketball.

When I verify this, I will post. ASU often does not list walk-ons on their roster.

Baller_34

neds

And destined to win
40% of their games this year

Baller_34

Did someone say 4-0 in conference with a win over the pre season favorite

smallybells

Baller_34

I'm sure they will but its just fun cause everyone is dogging them and they are on top in conference right now.

Longfellow

Quote from: Baller_34 on January 10, 2016, 08:36:33 am
I'm sure they will but its just fun cause everyone is dogging them and they are on top in conference right now.
Nobody wants to cheer for a hometown team with no hometown players

ricepig

Quote from: Longfellow on January 10, 2016, 08:54:40 am
Quote from: Baller_34 on January 10, 2016, 08:36:33 am
Nobody wants to cheer for a hometown team with no hometown players

Imagine what would happen had Brady not already announced his decision to step down and they would win the conference?? Hundreds would be upset, lol.

NEA Razorback olfan

Best of luck to both men's and women's basetball teams!!!

MA

I caught the game last night against ULL and it was great basketball. ASU had the talent last year but it never came together. They only have 9 guys this year due to Injury, Grades, Arrest, etc. But its the right 9. They play hard and they play well. Im a big fan of the assistant coaches at ASU. Hope at least 1 of them gets held over no matter who gets the job. I believe you can win at ASU. But everyone is right. Arkansas, Memphis, St Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Atlanta in that order has to be where the pipelines are. Stay out of the Jucos. develop your talent and kids will buy in. That formula can win in Jonesboro in my opinion.

neds

I agree you can win @ASU if you are the right HC and do the things that need to be done. I look at UALR this year and it's all coaching and chemistry. They have a 50/50 mix of old and new players so on paper you would write this one up as an adjustment year to get 'your team' put together. Heck they are 14-1 w/half the team being the other guys group.

dc24

Sometimes it's harder to sell the hometown program to hometown kids because they want to leave and different coaches will have different evaluations of players so there are a lot of factors that go into that.  I just want the team to win, don't care where the players come from.  You can't just sign local kids for the sake of signing local kids.  Invited walk-ons, maybe.  But not scholarship players, especially on the men's side because you get 11 and women get 13 so you can't take too many chances on kids that are fringe D1.  I mean, it isn't really that big a deal if we get 100 more people to watch local-boy ride the pine or not.  If we win, the crowds will increase, all there is to it.

We also had a walk-on from Benton last year, but he was dismissed or quit before this season, we signed a player out of EPC a couple of years ago that would have been a RS-Sophomore this year I believe, but he didn't make it because of grades (I think).  Had a player out of Wynne that walked on and got some PT, but transferred to UAM to play more.  Had a point guard that went to a prep school, but was originally from Little Rock, but transferred D2 for more playing time, even though he started some here.  Some things you can't exactly control.

Regardless, you have to be good enough to play, that's the bottom line.  I'd love more Arkansas kids or local kids, but if they can't play or don't want to play here, good riddance.  It isn't a charity program to let local kids live their dream of playing D1 basketball.

ricepig

13 D-I scholarships for men, 15 for women.

dc24

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2016, 05:13:05 pm
13 D-I scholarships for men, 15 for women.

That's correct, I'm getting confused with our low number, haha.  But still point applies, can't afford to take as many chances.  Also to an earlier point, we had a player from Memphis too, but he was kicked off the team before season started and we still have two on the team from Memphis.

We are also on the Reaves kid from what I've heard, but kid doesn't have the grades and we don't know if he will be eligible.  We also have a signee from Benton.

I guess that's the thing about looking from the outside in, people assume it's easy to recruit and get all the players you want and that just isn't the case.  I'm not big on signing more JUCO's than high school kids, but sometimes it's the way to go as they are usually quicker contributors.  That's just my opinion though, doesn't make it right.  You need a good blend, unless you can get top flight high school talent, which most mid-major type programs just can't do.

Two of the four kids on Little Rock's roster from Arkansas transferred back into the state.  Jackson played at UCA, then went JUCO then LR and Watkins went JUCO then Florida State then to Little Rock so LR wasn't their first choice.

No I don't think we've been as good at men's basketball as we would have liked to have been, for a while now, even before Brady, but it has nothing to do with not signing enough in-state kids.

Most of post wasn't directed at you ricepig, just had some more thoughts to add.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: dc24 on January 11, 2016, 05:08:52 pm
Sometimes it's harder to sell the hometown program to hometown kids because they want to leave and different coaches will have different evaluations of players so there are a lot of factors that go into that.  I just want the team to win, don't care where the players come from.  You can't just sign local kids for the sake of signing local kids.  Invited walk-ons, maybe.  But not scholarship players, especially on the men's side because you get 11 and women get 13 so you can't take too many chances on kids that are fringe D1.  I mean, it isn't really that big a deal if we get 100 more people to watch local-boy ride the pine or not.  If we win, the crowds will increase, all there is to it.

We also had a walk-on from Benton last year, but he was dismissed or quit before this season, we signed a player out of EPC a couple of years ago that would have been a RS-Sophomore this year I believe, but he didn't make it because of grades (I think).  Had a player out of Wynne that walked on and got some PT, but transferred to UAM to play more.  Had a point guard that went to a prep school, but was originally from Little Rock, but transferred D2 for more playing time, even though he started some here.  Some things you can't exactly control.

Regardless, you have to be good enough to play, that's the bottom line.  I'd love more Arkansas kids or local kids, but if they can't play or don't want to play here, good riddance.  It isn't a charity program to let local kids live their dream of playing D1 basketball.

Not getting Kahron Ross and Marquise Pointer disappointed some fans. The guards that were there at the time were not near as good as those two.

smallybells

January 12, 2016, 10:52:24 am #48 Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:55:27 pm by smallybells
I think geography also plays a roll with A State, UALR, and Arkansas and hurts them at times. You take a kid with a few D1 offers say a school in California, one in Florida etc.. The kid puts it all on the table and thinks, do I want to spend the next four years on the West Coast, Florida, or Jonesboro, Little Rock and so on. I know this isn't always the case but I am willing to bet it happens. I am not bashing any of these places either before someone gets their feeling on their sleeve, just stating a point.

dc24

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on January 12, 2016, 10:06:13 am
Quote from: dc24 on January 11, 2016, 05:08:52 pm

Not getting Kahron Ross and Marquise Pointer disappointed some fans. The guards that were there at the time were not near as good as those two.

They seem like they are very good players, but it appears Pointer may have had much more interest, says he chose CofC over Wichita State and interest from Ole Miss.  CofC is a very good basketball program, something we haven't been in a while.  You may know more than me, but I'm not sure how hard we recruited him, and I'm not sure it would have mattered.

As for Ross, Lehigh is a more comparable program, although they've been to the NCAA's recently.  I definitely think we could have used both of those guys, but they may not have wanted to stay in Jonesboro.  You may can shed some more light, maybe we didn't recruit those two hard enough, but we've also had some assistant coach turnover too, which could have played a role.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas