• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rivercrest RB Cecil Langston

Started by redandgray, December 08, 2015, 12:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redandgray

Cecil Langston is having a monster year!  With the 3A state championship left to play Saturday, he has 3,040 yards rushing (114 away from Kenneth Dixon's state record) and 33 rushing TDs (38 total TDs).  Averaging 9.2 yards/carry.  9 receptions - 294 yards and 5TDs also.  6,084 career rushing yards.  62 career rushing TDs.  73 career total TDs. 

5'8" 185lbs

beach bum

Good luck to that young man trying to pass Dixon.... 114 yards seems like a foregone conclusion but you never know. Hope they pull out the title too!

Chief-Chickasaw

Funny this kid hasn't been offered by anyone really.  Monticello and a few other small schools.  I hear he is leaning toward Southern Illinois as his best offer. Crazy I know Rivercrest is a small school but this kid is a athlete.

beach bum

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 09, 2015, 10:47:54 am
Funny this kid hasn't been offered by anyone really.  Monticello and a few other small schools.  I hear he is leaning toward Southern Illinois as his best offer. Crazy I know Rivercrest is a small school but this kid is a athlete.

I imagine some lower tier DI's will be all over him after the season trying to get him late.... the Sun Belt, WAC, and C USA schools would be crazy to not take him.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: beach bum on December 09, 2015, 01:38:06 pm

I imagine some lower tier DI's will be all over him after the season trying to get him late.... the Sun Belt, WAC, and C USA schools would be crazy to not take him.
It's funny the NEA seems to get constantly overlooked.  I feel a lot of it has to do with grades and I'm not saying this about Langston just the area as a whole.  Even Korliss Marshall was late on everyone's radar.  4 of the top 5 rushing performances this year happened with Blytheville's DeMekko Clark, Gosnell's Carlos Blackmon, and Rivercrest's Cecil Langston all 400+ games and all near the top in the state in rushing but they all have very little attention as far as recruiting. There is a ton of athletes in the area that no one pays attention too. 

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 09, 2015, 01:46:23 pm

It's funny the NEA seems to get constantly overlooked.  I feel a lot of it has to do with grades and I'm not saying this about Langston just the area as a whole.  Even Korliss Marshall was late on everyone's radar.  4 of the top 5 rushing performances this year happened with Blytheville's DeMekko Clark, Gosnell's Carlos Blackmon, and Rivercrest's Cecil Langston all 400+ games and all near the top in the state in rushing but they all have very little attention as far as recruiting. There is a ton of athletes in the area that no one pays attention too.

"Yardage" does not have the effect it once did in the college recruiting. The colleges want a specific size & strength, and most importantly, SPEED.

https://www.gobigrecruiting.com/recruiting101/football/positional_guidelines/running_back

Henderson State (D2) signed a Blytheville RB last year, so it does happen.

ricepig

Well, I live in NEA and quiet frankly, the level of competition is lacking across all classifications. These kids need to go to camps and be seen by college coaches, and truthfully, they don't need to wait until their SR year. Good luck to him and all the kids looking to play on the next level.

Grond

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2015, 04:44:42 pm

Well, I live in NEA and quiet frankly, the level of competition is lacking across all classifications. These kids need to go to camps and be seen by college coaches, and truthfully, they don't need to wait until their SR year. Good luck to him and all the kids looking to play on the next level.

Absolutely correct!!!

I have wondered if it would be possible for a D2 college, like UAM or HSU, to come up to Northeast Arkansas and do a camp.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Grond on December 09, 2015, 06:25:18 pm

Absolutely correct!!!

I have wondered if it would be possible for a D2 college, like UAM or HSU, to come up to Northeast Arkansas and do a camp.
Yeah we have several that are D2 bound this year in Blytheville.  Henderson told the coaches they rarely recruit this area last year.  But after taking Demadre Clark and seeing some of the talent up here they said they will make it a point to be back.  I look for Henderson to become Blytheville South lol.  They have offered 2 or 3 kids off this years team and took a walk on from last years.  As far as camps go, camps cost money something I know our school and several others in the area doesn't have.  If a kid from our school goes to a camp it's usually because a coach or a small group was able to pay for it out of their pocket.  We have trouble getting parents to pay the $5 to watch a game much less the money for their child to go to a camp.

ricepig

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 10, 2015, 08:22:10 am
Quote from: Grond on December 09, 2015, 06:25:18 pm

Absolutely correct!!!

Yeah we have several that are D2 bound this year in Blytheville.  Henderson told the coaches they rarely recruit this area last year.  But after taking Demadre Clark and seeing some of the talent up here they said they will make it a point to be back.  I look for Henderson to become Blytheville South lol.  They have offered 2 or 3 kids off this years team and took a walk on from last years.  As far as camps go, camps cost money something I know our school and several others in the area doesn't have.  If a kid from our school goes to a camp it's usually because a coach or a small group was able to pay for it out of their pocket.  We have trouble getting parents to pay the $5 to watch a game much less the money for their child to go to a camp.

Jonesboro has 3 at OBU, and a couple before. It seems once they get a pipeline, they tend to come back. It's great they are getting their education paid for.

GotInfo?

You have to realize, Texas and La have a lot more kids with similar skill sets, but bigger.  Makes it harder on a kid from smaller schools in AR to get recognized unless they have gone to camp on campus so these schools can evaluate them first hand.  Which is why if they can play, they fall to the D2 level in-state.  Which there is nothing wrong with that.

Chief-Chickasaw

I've had to have the same conversation with one of Blytheville's player's parents.  He felt like sending him to one of the smaller schools in the area would get him noticed more by colleges because he could easily put up bigger numbers.  I had to explain that playing lower competition doesn't help.  Our paper may talk about their 400 yard game but college coaches aren't looking at it. 

WTD

Marion had a kid in 2011 Tre Franklin who rushed close to 2,000 yards every year since his sophomore year and that was with three other backs getting the football as well. He was a beast, 5'11 215 ran a 4.5, freakish strong in the weight room. Tried to walk on at UAPB and never made it. Like others have said you've got to go to camps for exposure, if parents don't have the resources then it would have to be up to the coaches. Not all coaches are this way but there are some that would be more than happy to take a kid to a camp if he thought he could get to the next level. We didn't have that type of coach in 2011, but we do now.

Chief-Chickasaw

Well here's Blytheville's Jr RB Freak Demekko Clark. Mississippi County had some stud running backs this year with Carlos Blackmon, Cecil Langston, and Demekko Clark.  Also don't sleep on Osceola's SO RB he will be a stud too.

Here is Clark's Highlight tape

WTD

I've seen Clark, special talent for sure.

redandgray

Langston broke the record with 3,211 yards on the year.  Henderson State has offered.

Grond

Quote from: redandgray on December 15, 2015, 04:02:24 pm
Langston broke the record with 3,211 yards on the year.  Henderson State has offered.

Well done, good for Langston.   8) 8) 8)

Henderson State possibly has the best D2 college football program in Arkansas.

Chief-Chickasaw

Langston just made 2nd team All-America and still no D-1 offers. SMH

WPWells

He was a great high school running back.

Missco

I personally think that he can play D1-AA and possibly D-1. If I were a sun belt or c-usa team it would be worth the chance. The same goes for Carlos Blackman...he does have several D1- AA offers from I know for sure Semo and UCA. I wish ASU would offer both

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on December 27, 2015, 02:09:54 pm
I personally think that he can play D1-AA and possibly D-1. If I were a sun belt or c-usa team it would be worth the chance. The same goes for Carlos Blackman...he does have several D1- AA offers from I know for sure Semo and UCA. I wish ASU would offer both
I think some things that can't be discussed on this site might be holding Blackmon back.  I think he can be a great kid but has made a few poor choices in the past.  Langston I think it is a size issue but I think ASU or Memphis should take a chance on him. I have heard Memphis has shown interest in both but with the coaching change that has produced a offer yet.

Missco

Blackman actually made a few visits to a few D-1 schools. He has offers from almost every D-2 school in the state. Semo wants him in a bad way.He actually has matured a lot.Before the coaching change, I would have bet on Memphis. ASU wanted him as a linebacker.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on December 27, 2015, 09:25:26 pm
Blackman actually made a few visits to a few D-1 schools. He has offers from almost every D-2 school in the state. Semo wants him in a bad way.He actually has matured a lot.Before the coaching change, I would have bet on Memphis. ASU wanted him as a linebacker.
I think Blackmon is better suited to play linebacker on the next level then running back.  For that reason I wish he would've stayed at his home town school (Blytheville).  He would have been our fit at LB and I feel would've been more highly recruited at that position.  I think Blackmon is a tremendous talent but I just think Clark is a better running back so he would've played solely linebacker at Blytheville.  I understand why he changed schools and I am actually friends with his mother so I know all the reasons for his change to Gosnell so no need to discuss those.  I just feel he would be in a better situation athletically at Blytheville but socially he was probably better at Gosnell which is ultimately better for the kid.   

Missco

I agree with some of that. He would make a better college linebacker. I still think baseball might be his best sport. Carlos is a very good kid and has matured a lot in the last year.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on January 06, 2016, 01:53:18 pm
I agree with some of that. He would make a better college linebacker. I still think baseball might be his best sport. Carlos is a very good kid and has matured a lot in the last year.
I'll agree with that.  Hopefully Coach Burnside can get him out on the high school team and showcase him this year. 

chickasaw fan

Burnside?? Great role model there!! A guy that was fired from blytheville for using foul language and used illegal players in American Legion Baseball.  Blackmon better look in another direction for guidance.

Missco

Lol, isn't this the same coach that doesn't even keep the best area players on the legion team. Didn't he harass some parents at Walmart?

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on January 07, 2016, 09:54:49 pm
Lol, isn't this the same coach that doesn't even keep the best area players on the legion team. Didn't he harass some parents at Walmart?
Lol he can be pretty rough as far as language goes.  The legion thing was crap.  My understanding is he had a player quit so he put a kid in uniform that never played so they would have the minimum of 10 required to go to state.  The same parents that complained after the fact were the same ones who pressured him to put the kid on the team.  They got mad when he wouldn't grant them a release when their kid was 19 to play on another team because he wasn't good enough to start on the Blytheville team so the turned him in for the illegal player.  But at the same time they played their son on another team illegally without a release.  The whole thing was dumb.
    I personally like Burnside's baseball knowledge but I really don't like how he talks to kids.  In this area if you want your kid to play next level and you don't send them to Blytheville you are dumb.  Blytheville's coach Randy Smith is great.  Played in the minors, coached in the minors, was a scout for several Pro teams and still has high level contacts.  But I understand Blytheville has low test scores (or black kids the real reason) so people want to send their kids other places.

Missco

Let's be honest Charlie Brown is the best coach in Blytheville. Also the race card isn't true. All area schools are diverse.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on January 08, 2016, 11:32:04 am
Let's be honest Charlie Brown is the best coach in Blytheville. Also the race card isn't true. All area schools are diverse.
I like Charlie Brown too. Coach Smith is awesome just very little baseball talent left at Blytheville schools.  Race Card is very real.  Look at the amount of White kids who were in the school choice lawsuit, when you check addresses for both Armorel and Gosnell there are either 5 or 6 families living in a house or it is the middle of a open field or it is a farm shop.  I'm not even saying it is a bad thing send your kid to wherever makes them happy and they succeed.  But to say that the race issue is not real is being naive. 
   The big difference between Coach Brown and Smith is where Coach Brown can call Williams Baptist, Coach Smith can call Major colleges and several pro teams.  That's not a knock on Coach Brown he's a great coach.  One of the things I can say about Coach Brown is that he isn't going anywhere he loves those boys and I love that about him.  I can't say the same thing about Coach Smith, he is a Paragould guy who isn't to far from retiring so that is a big downside.
  Also there is a big difference in playing 5A baseball and playing 1A baseball.  I know Armorel will go and play 5A and 6A teams but many times they are not facing those teams Ace because they have conference games to win.  I know and love a lot of the boys on both Armorel and Gosnell and I'm proud and a little jealous when they have success.  I would like to see the kids who live in Blytheville's district play for Blytheville so they have the opportunity for the same success.  I wish Blytheville had the same community support as those schools and weren't always looked down upon.

chickasaw fan

It was dumb chief??? Maybe if his communication skills were better, he would have enough kids playing American Legion. Truth of the matter is he used illegal players!! Not someone i would want giving advice to my kids!! He's a cheater. Plain and simple. Good luck to Blackmon and Langston where ever they end up.

Missco

OB11

Quote from: chickasaw fan on January 08, 2016, 04:45:23 pm
It was dumb chief??? Maybe if his communication skills were better, he would have enough kids playing American Legion. Truth of the matter is he used illegal players!! Not someone i would want giving advice to my kids!! He's a cheater. Plain and simple. Good luck to Blackmon and Langston where ever they end up.

It was either put a kid in a uniform that never stepped foot out of the dugout, even to warm up, or not give your kids a chance to play at all.  He did have enough kids to play when the season started.  Circumstances outside of the coach's control led to the team losing players throughout the summer. 

I understand your argument though.  Rules are rules.  But you have to understand that he was just trying to give his players a chance to play. 

Rules like the one he broke are one of the reasons kids don't play legion anymore.  Legion is dying and it's their own fault. 

chickasaw fan

Anytime you take a team photo and give a player a false name that is cheating!!!  Now, give me an excuse why he got ran off from Blytheville High. Dream up something else Oliver. Don't worry its just a matter of time before he is released from Gosnell.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: chickasaw fan on January 11, 2016, 10:46:54 pm
Anytime you take a team photo and give a player a false name that is cheating!!!  Now, give me an excuse why he got ran off from Blytheville High. Dream up something else Oliver. Don't worry its just a matter of time before he is released from Gosnell.
Why are you so angry chickasaw fan?  I don't think Burnside got ran off from Blytheville I'm pretty sure he stepped down, stayed as a teacher two years, then went to Gosnell.  If he was that bad why would Gosnell have hired him?  Coach Kirk took over for two years and did the best he could with what he had and then we got Coach Smith.  Burnside was wrong for what he did and really shouldn't have done it.  He served his suspension and now is serving his probation.

OB11

I'm not saying what he did wasn't wrong or against the rules.  But show me a coach that follows the rules to the T, 100% of the time.  I'd be willing to bet you couldn't find one.  I'm not dreaming anything up.  What did I dream up?  Just stating what I know, and why I believe it happened that way. 

chickasaw fan

Best of luck to Langston and Blackmon.

Qhcaoc

College coaches don't even ask about stats they look at size and speed also what could be

Missco

Carlos will most likely sign with UCA. Definitely the better of the two. However, both are great kids.

beaverfan007

It ashamed this young man didn't win the landers award he deserved it ...it just shows that athletes in small schools don't have a chance

BigLion10

GHS_08

They "illegal player" never stepped foot on the field. Their is a rule that you must have 11 players on the roster for the zone tournament. He have a kid a uniform and let him sit the bench so they would have enough on the roster to play.  I'm sure coaches do it all the time.  The sad thing is it was one of his own players parents that reported it. One of his players quit because burnside wouldn't let him do anything but pitch ( the kid was on a scholarshio at a d2 school in state for pitching).  The kids dad got especially upset reported the "illegal player".

Missco

Wasn't just that players parent. Their is a lot more to the story. That's all I am going to say.

GHS_08

January 19, 2016, 09:11:42 pm #43 Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:18:37 pm by GHS_08
Quote from: chickasaw fan on January 08, 2016, 04:45:23 pm

I played for Legion ball for Burnside his first year at Blytheville. He was my favorite coach that I played for in my career. He really knows the game. But if you miss practice, don't work hard, act like a smarta$$ and think you are the best player on earth, then yes you are going to have problems. It's the kids that think they are entitled to everything go that are the problem.

OB11

If someone can explain to me how Cecil Langston didn't make the Senior All-Star game I would really appreciate it.  There is NO PLAUSIBLE WAY the all time Arkansas rushing yards leader does not make the game for the best senior players for that season. 

Missco

The nominees are picked by their conference coaches.

OB11

Quote from: Missco on January 20, 2016, 09:50:24 pm
The nominees are picked by their conference coaches.

This makes it even more unbelievable does it not???

Missco

Yep, but that's the bad part of high school athletics in Arkansas. No way the kid from Hoxie deserved it over him.

ricepig

There will be several that will not play in it, my guess is he will be added to the roster. I really didn't go over this East RB list, but it's hard to see how he was left off.

Longfellow

You can decline playing in the game. They could've picked him and he just said no

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas