• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M's Perfect Storm

Started by Valleysports, May 11, 2014, 12:02:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Valleysports

In 2012, A&M moved from the Big 12 to the SEC.  The Aggies were expected to struggle after a mediocre 7-6, 2011 season.  However their early success in the SEC has flipped the script on how the program is viewed in the state of Texas and Nationally.  A&Ms rival, Univ of Texas, threatened that if A&M left the Big 12, they'd never play them again.

Valleysports

Timing - The Aggies played on national television six times during the 2012 season. In 2011, in the Big 12, the Aggies played on national television two times.  The SEC put A&M on a national stage to show off what they had Athletically and Academically.  Who could've have known Freshman QB, Johnny Football. would become the most thrilling football player in college and the first freshman to win the Heisman?  At the same time - the recruit dominating, Texas University, was falling apart.  Texas University continued to fall apart - eventually leading to Mack Browns retirement.  A&M's licensing revenue jumped 25% in 2012.  A&M is recruiting fans in the state of Texas.  More and more top recruits begin to look at A&M - suddenly the struggling Horns aren't on the top of the food chain anymore.

Valleysports

Timing - Sumlin brought his hybrid offense from Conference USA, tweaked it for Johnny's Talent.  Recruits like Sumlin and his offense. 

Location - 2014, #1 QB Recruit, from Arizona, wanted to play in the SEC, on a National Stage.  Closest team to home - A&M (the only SEC team in Texas).  Players from other Texas DI Schools, begin transferring (sitting out) to A&M, Top JUCO players are choosing A&M.  Univ Texas becomes desperate, when 2014 recruits leave for A&M, AND the hammer is coming down even harder with the ridiculous 2015 verbally committed recruits.  The Top players in Texas (biggest pool of recruits in the country) want to play for A&M.  This is a big change from the Mediocre Aggies of the SWC and Big 12.

Valleysports

Last 4 ranked recruit classes 27 - 15 - 11 - 6 - 1 (predicted).

Senior - Kenny Hill is currently the starting QB.  Freshman Kyle Allen will be pushing him for playing time.  Both capable QBs.

Texas A&M is currently building the largest college football stadium in Texas
Texas A&M is currently installing the largest college football video board.

Valleysports

In Summary - A&M is becoming a Top Program, because Texas Players want to play in the SEC

True Fan

Yawn.

Johnny Football is gone. Is their 15 seconds up? Time will tell. Until they prove that they can win without one of, if not the, greatest game changers that ever played college football, they are just another one hit wonder that didn't win a national championship.

Valleysports

That's the kind of rebuttal I expected, True Fan, just trying to unload the Hog Football thread from such enlightening banter.   ::) 

Oh yes - And get you on record.  Next?

Quote from: True Fan on May 11, 2014, 12:13:29 pm
Johnny Football is gone. Is their 15 seconds up? Time will tell. Until they prove that they can win without one of, if not the, greatest game changers that ever played college football, they are just another one hit wonder that didn't win a national championship.

Valleysports

Quote from: mack on May 11, 2014, 05:20:15 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 10:12:35 am
Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 11, 2014, 09:39:35 am
Come on valley you know what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure A&M recruiting class was better than the Hogs was the year before. When the defense is on the filed more than the offense they tend to give up more points.

Razorbacks - 2010 (49), 2011 (24), 2012 (34), 2013 (27), 2014 (29), 2015 (supposed to be good).
Texas A&M  - 2010 (17), 2011 (27), 2012 (15), 2013 (11), 2014 (6),   2015 (1).
Alabama - - - 2011 through 2014 ( #1 ), 2015 (2).

Not that it is always this way, but recruit rankings tend to trend performance.

I know what you're talking about - reason we don't agree is that, for some reason, it's hard for Hog Fans to see the Big Picture.  Or is it?   ;)  It's no slight on Arkansas - just the way it's coming together for A&M.

Please post further A&M post on the A&M Thread I'm about to start....  :)

Bro',,,, you are setting yourself up for a big fall.  Don't worry,Mack will be here to comfort you!

Ha ha I might be setting myself up - but I'm going stay with it all the way  :D   Oh I know you'll be there!  I brought up the ideal of giving our grandchildren another choice, besides Moral Victories Razorbacks, today at dinner.  Suggested why I thought A&M was fixing to be a Top SEC Team.  My Father-n-law got serious pretty quick.   ;D   That ain't going to happen!

Valleysports

So what's the wager - Mafia Mack?   8)

Uncle Ivan

A&M went .500 this past season in the league for a fourth-place division finish, even with Manziel.

Can their success be sustained?

mack

Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 06:35:15 pm
So what's the wager - Mafia Mack?   8)

I will ruminate on it and offer my terms :-)

AirWarren

sevenof400

bdubyab60

Like I been saying they haven't done anything the Hogs haven't done in the SEC yet. As long as Saban and Miles are in the West it will be Bama and LSU with everyone else chasing.

Lionheart88

Losing three first rounders off of that offense will hurt TAMU a lot.  You don't just replace a Manziel or an Evans, and their defense is nothing to write home about.  Icarus got a little too close to the sun this past year, look for a return to earth in 2014.

sevenof400

Excellent reference, Lionheart!

Valleysports

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 11, 2014, 08:06:34 pm
Losing three first rounders off of that offense will hurt TAMU a lot.  You don't just replace a Manziel or an Evans, and their defense is nothing to write home about.  Icarus got a little too close to the sun this past year, look for a return to earth in 2014.

Lionheart hasn't been looking at their replacements and transfers!  ;)

Big Fan

Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 10:44:09 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 11, 2014, 08:06:34 pm

Lionheart hasn't been looking at their replacements and transfers!  ;)
It won't matter. 

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 11, 2014, 07:40:39 pm
Like I been saying they haven't done anything the Hogs haven't done in the SEC yet. As long as Saban and Miles are in the West it will be Bama and LSU with everyone else chasing.

Ha ha - that's for sure and the Hogs have done things A&M never wants to do, like 0-8.

Valleysports

At the very least A&M will consistently finish in Top 4 SEC West.  Which means Arkansas will consistently finish in the Bottom 4.   

Big Fan

Quote from: Valleysports on May 11, 2014, 11:04:40 pm
At the very least A&M will consistently finish in Top 4 SEC West. 
If that makes you happy....great. 

Valleysports

May 12, 2014, 07:33:22 am #21 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:54:53 am by Valleysports
Quote from: Big Fan on May 11, 2014, 11:41:05 pm

Happy?  ::)  I have no feelings for A&M - happy / sad - whatever.   ;D   The direction that A&M is going has nothing to do with my happiness - just like your feelings have nothing to do with Arkansas struggles. It's a game - coaches are recruited - coaches recruit the best players they can get - each season they play the game with the players they've recruited.  All we can do is Observe...   

I understand y'all do not want this to happen - but can one of you post anything, other than Cheerleader Banter, as to where I might be missing something? 

Edit:  Lionheart88 made a good point about A&M losing three first rounders... 

ricepig

May 12, 2014, 07:44:49 am #22 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:50:18 am by ricepig
Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 07:33:22 am
Quote from: Big Fan on May 11, 2014, 11:41:05 pm

Happy?  ::)  Big Fan that's why it's hard for you to understand football - it's about emotions with you.  I have no feelings for A&M - happy / sad - whatever.   ;D   The direction that A&M is going has nothing to do with my happiness - just like your feelings have nothing to do with Arkansas struggles. It's a game - coaches are recruited - coaches recruit the best players they can get - each season they play the game with the players they've recruited.   

I understand y'all do not want this to happen - but can one of you post anything, other than Cheerleader Banter, as to where I might be missing something?

University of Texas, all 5* recruit's, no draft picks, no titles.

Valleysports

May 12, 2014, 07:45:51 am #23 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:56:13 am by Valleysports

How good do y'all think Saban and Miles would be, if they played, every season, with recruit classes in the mid 20's-30's?  Saban gets to pick his #1 All Star Team every year.  Just for fun - If Saban and Bilema switched places right now, would everyone else be chasing LSU and Arkansas?  What if Miles switched with Bielema (Arkansas & Alabama?) - is Miles that great of a coach?

Valleysports

May 12, 2014, 08:48:57 am #24 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:53:47 am by Valleysports
Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2014, 07:44:49 am

I see your point but "all 5* recruits" is not exactly correct.  More like #2 ranked class - two, 5* recruits, 15, 4*.  Definitely athletic enough to get the job done.  Any insight on why UT finally faltered with such a high ranked class, ricepig?  What was their record?  Having an All Star Team doesn't guarantee a National Title - just makes it much easier to obtain.  If Texas had no draft picks, I'd have to say that in reality they didn't have 5* recruits (mis-ranked) wouldn't you?

Here's a good thing - Texas recruit class rankings - 2010 (2), 2011 (5), 2012 (3),  A&M -SEC  2013 (16), 2014 (16),

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 08:48:57 am
Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2014, 07:44:49 am

I see your point but "all 5* recruits" is not exactly correct.  More like #2 ranked class - two, 5* recruits, 15, 4*.  Definitely athletic enough to get the job done.  Any insight on why UT finally faltered with such a high ranked class, ricepig?  What was their record?  Having an All Star Team doesn't guarantee a National Title - just makes it much easier to obtain.  If Texas had no draft picks, I'd have to say that in reality they didn't have 5* recruits (mis-ranked) wouldn't you?

Here's a good thing - Texas recruit class rankings - 2010 (2), 2011 (5), 2012 (3),  A&M -SEC  2013 (16), 2014 (16),

Texas suffered from the same thing aTm will, talent is overrated in Texas.   ;D. You probably be a 3* these days.  Seriously, Mack took the rankings of the Texas high school kids, invited them to Jr Day made his offers and then accepted the first 25. He then proceeded to tell any of that 25, if they took another visit their off was pulled. That doesn't work in 2014. I really don't know where the aTm kids are from, for Sumlin's sake they best not all be from Texas.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2014, 10:07:34 am
Texas suffered from the same thing aTm will, talent is overrated in Texas.   ;D. You probably be a 3* these days.  Seriously, Mack took the rankings of the Texas high school kids, invited them to Jr Day made his offers and then accepted the first 25. He then proceeded to tell any of that 25, if they took another visit their off was pulled. That doesn't work in 2014. I really don't know where the aTm kids are from, for Sumlin's sake they best not all be from Texas.

LOL - I was the type player you'd like - not rankable coming out of high school, grew 50 lbs muscle, dropped .02 off 40x, increased 150 lbs bench freshman to senior year - WR - TE - OL...  all heart!  :D

Interesting take on Mack - matches the over ranked theory.  Texas is the only team I dislike at this time.  And that is because they've ruined college football, reason A&M left them.  I'm so sicked and tired of the money thing! I'm guessing A&M had something to do with UT's coaching choice.

If I remember A&M's 2015 anticipated big time verbals are mostly E Texas LOL.  Now all my theories are based on true 5* star recruits and Top ranked classes.  But I'm committed to stay with it until theory is exhausted.   :D 

ricepig

Got to love that about you Valley, you stick to your guns, even when you're dead wrong, lol.

Valleysports

Got some baseball / softball this week - you going to any of it.

TECH is hosting the DII Region Playoffs - Tech, SAU, & UAM in tournament.
High School Baseball / Softball playoffs (6a) in Benton (I think).

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 12:36:13 pm
Got some baseball / softball this week - you going to any of it.

TECH is hosting the DII Region Playoffs - Tech, SAU, & UAM in tournament.
High School Baseball / Softball playoffs (6a) in Benton (I think).

I probably will catch some of the baseball in Benton, I'm not sure what days yet. I figure our girls will be one and done in softball, but who knows??

Breitontime

Tech ended up hosting? Good deal.

Lions84

Something tells me based on TAMU history they are due for a epic under performing season with the loss of Johnny Football.

mack

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 12:20:36 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2014, 10:07:34 am

LOL - I was the type player you'd like - not rankable coming out of high school, grew 50 lbs muscle, dropped .02 off 40x, increased 150 lbs bench freshman to senior year - WR - TE - OL...  all heart!  :D

Interesting take on Mack - matches the over ranked theory.  Texas is the only team I dislike at this time.  And that is because they've ruined college football, reason A&M left them.  I'm so sicked and tired of the money thing! I'm guessing A&M had something to do with UT's coaching choice.

If I remember A&M's 2015 anticipated big time verbals are mostly E Texas LOL.  Now all my theories are based on true 5* star recruits and Top ranked classes.  But I'm committed to stay with it until theory is exhausted.   :D

Admittedly I believe your theory based on stars is superior to my reliance on past history:-)  I look forward to seeing whose science prevails!

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Lions84 on May 12, 2014, 01:46:31 pm
Something tells me based on TAMU history they are due for a epic under performing season with the loss of Johnny Football.

How many first round linemen were blocking for him?  Two, three? Plus a tall, excellent WR.  Manziel's supporting cast may have made him look much better than he actually is.

Valleysports

Quote from: mack on May 12, 2014, 01:58:08 pm
Admittedly I believe your theory based on stars is superior to my reliance on past history:-)  I look forward to seeing whose science prevails!

Admittedly you know more about their history, cause I didn't pay attention to them when we lived out of the country for 18 yrs.  I appreciate the post - it will be interesting.

Valleysports

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 12, 2014, 03:45:44 pm
How many first round linemen were blocking for him?  Two, three? Plus a tall, excellent WR.  Manziel's supporting cast may have made him look much better than he actually is.

I've got some research for you, when I get home from my Pickle Ball Tournament, tonight.  A&M might have some of that void covered.  Admittely I'm relying on scouting reports and possibly A&M propaganda  :)

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on May 12, 2014, 07:45:51 am

How good do y'all think Saban and Miles would be, if they played, every season, with recruit classes in the mid 20's-30's?  Saban gets to pick his #1 All Star Team every year.  Just for fun - If Saban and Bilema switched places right now, would everyone else be chasing LSU and Arkansas?  What if Miles switched with Bielema (Arkansas & Alabama?) - is Miles that great of a coach?
i don't think Miles is a great coach, probably the luckiest coach ever. The guy wins though. You could probably look at Sabans classes when he was at LSU to see how he did with mid 20's classes. I'm not sure what those rankings were.

We know LSU wasn't doing great until Saban got there and turned it around. Miles has kept it going.
Bama was good but Saban has taken it to another level. But I'm not real sure what they would do without all the studs they get but I think they would still be pretty darn good.

We will see where everything ends up. Sooner or later another team has to break through like auburn did and I'm hoping it's the Hogs.

Hoghead

Arkansas leads the series 41-26-3. The Aggies have been a pleasant surprise in the SEC. The Orange Horns are being overshadowed by Sumlins sucess. Hogs will get it togather and continue to dominate the Aggies !

Valleysports

Quote from: Hoghead on May 13, 2014, 07:42:26 am
Arkansas leads the series 41-26-3. The Aggies have been a pleasant surprise in the SEC.

Aggies lead the series 2-0 (SEC), better do something about that 0 before they grab gears.

AirWarren

Valleysports

The team, outside QB, will be better than last year - maybe a lot.  And don't underestimate what's coming down the pipe at QB.  Four out the 5 playing Offensive Linemen will be back (one of A&M's strengths), they added 2 college OL and 2 Freshman OL.  Anticipating big things at WR (Speedy Noils - Josh Reynolds) and Running Backs (transfers from Oklahoma & Oregon).

Valleysports

Hoghead

The Hogs beat A&M in the first 3 Southwest classics. Back when you were quiet Valley.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoghead on May 13, 2014, 02:58:57 pm
The Hogs beat A&M in the first 3 Southwest classics. Back when you were quiet Valley.

I really figured he'd pick Bama as a team to bandwagon on, sounds like my youngest son, always picks the Super Bowl camps, WS winners, or NBA finals winner.

Hoghead

Aggie 's will always be trash to the Hogs. We own every school in Texas except the Longhorns. Embrace that fact Valley !

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on May 13, 2014, 02:45:52 pm

The team, outside QB, will be better than last year - maybe a lot.  And don't underestimate what's coming down the pipe at QB.  Four out the 5 playing Offensive Linemen will be back (one of A&M's strengths), they added 2 college OL and 2 Freshman OL.  Anticipating big things at WR (Speedy Noils - Josh Reynolds) and Running Backs (transfers from Oklahoma & Oregon).
Valley are you sure that A&M's line is a strength. didnt look like they really did much the way Manziel had to run around and make plays.

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on May 13, 2014, 02:47:52 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on May 13, 2014, 10:08:44 am
We will.

That should be the Hog Chant!  Someday we will!

We have in regards to the aggies. Come on valley, you know better than to do this with me. You can't troll me like you do Rice!

Valleysports

Quote from: Hoghead on May 13, 2014, 02:58:57 pm

A&M has won 3 straight bowl games - what have the Hogs done for me lately baby?

Quote from: Hoghead on May 13, 2014, 03:14:19 pm
Aggie 's will always be trash to the Hogs. We own every school in Texas except the Longhorns. Embrace that fact Valley !

C'mon

Quote from: ricepig on May 13, 2014, 03:09:25 pm
I really figured he'd pick Bama as a team to bandwagon on, sounds like my youngest son, always picks the Super Bowl camps, WS winners, or NBA finals winner.

Not a bandwagon person - just say it like I see it!

Quote from: bdubyab60 on May 13, 2014, 03:43:53 pm
Valley are you sure that A&M's line is a strength. didnt look like they really did much the way Manziel had to run around and make plays.

Oh most definitely - are you kidding?  So since you predict the future by looking in the rear view mirror - should we expect more of the same from the Hogs? BTW, didn't we have a discussion, like this, when I posted that Seattle's Defense would stop Elway's Offense dead in it's tracks?

Quote from: AirWarren on May 13, 2014, 04:53:26 pm
Come on valley, you know better than to do this with me. You can't troll me like you do Rice!

;D  I'm laying it out there - I'll eat crow if that's where it ends up...  Just for the record - I have always maintained TWO YEARS OUT (2015)!  They have a freshman QB, to get up to speed, and a defense that'll still be recruiting..... 

AirWarren

Coach B will have us where we need to be. We are about to pound some folks at the LOS!!!

Russ PhD

May 13, 2014, 10:57:48 pm #49 Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:07:42 pm by Russ PhD
Ok. I spent five years in Aggieland getting two grad degrees, but I don't think I can match Valley's enthusiasm.

Here are my thoughts on a few things:

(1) 41-26-3. This is the historical advantage of the Hogs over A&M.
    A. During the 1946-1970 (A&M was still all male with required ROTC for this period), the Hogs were 18-5-2 (+13). This period accounts for any historical advantage that Arkansas has.
    B. If you truly believe that the A&M today is the same as the A&M of the 40's, 50's, and 60's, then you are out of touch. It has over 50,000 students on campus today. There were slightly over 10,000 in 1970. The population base for recruiting good football players is HUGE compared to the Hogs.

(2) About 5 years ago (if old posts hang around that long), I posted that I would be surprised if either team had more than 6 wins in the Southwest Classic after 10 years. I am not sure I believe that anymore.
    A. Whether you understand the politics of it or not, A&M was under the thumb of the 'horns while they were connected in an athletic conference. As Hog fans, you KNOW how crooked the officiating and league officials are with respect to the 'horns. That was just SOP for conferences that were "graced" by the goodness of God to have Texas with them.
    B. Now that A&M has stepped into the SEC, the potential of the university is no longer held back by a lying, cheating, ... Texas athletic department and administration.

(3) The OL talent at A&M is STILL there.
    A. Cedric Ogbuehi is currently projected as the top OT for the 2015 draft (http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/13/2015-nfl-mock-draft-cedric-ogbuehi/).
    B. Mike Mathews will be an NFL 1st rounder in 2 years (son of HOF Bruce Mathews, younger brother of 2 NFL OL - Kevin and Jake).
    C. The top JC OL Jermaine Eluemunor decommitted from the Hogs and went through spring practice with the Ags.
    D. A couple of top HS signed with the Ags in February.

(4) There is plenty of QB talent at A&M and Sumlin's offense knows how to use them.
    A. Kenny Hill is a dual threat and was highly recruited by every school in this region.
    B. Kyle Allen was the #1 pro-style QB in 2014 and was early enrolled. He looked outstanding in spring practice - which caused the RS Sr QB to transfer.

(5) There are plenty of WR at A&M. Don't kid yourself that Mike Evans was a one-man band.

(6) A&M signed the top defensive player in the country (Miles Garrett) in February and defense has been the focus of recruiting the last 2 years by Sumlin and his staff.

(7) Sumlin decided to take his lumps on defense and red-shirted 2 DL this fall. They were in camp and much bigger and stronger during spring drills.

ON the Hog front, you have Bert Bielema now discussing a 5-yr plan (like the old Soviet Union). I learn toward the Ags having more success over the next couple of years than the Hogs. However, I will admit to being a homer who just outlined 7 reasons for it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas