• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arvest Tournament

Started by YSpanther, November 05, 2018, 04:40:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

YSpanther

Does anybody have the bracket schedule for the Arvest Bank Tournament hosted at Flippin for this year? Flippin had it on their school site last year, but no bueno so far this year.  This brings in a lot of the 1A and 2A schools in this neck of the woods, and I was hoping someone would have the bracket for it.  It tips off this coming Saturday on the 10th of November.

baller334

Westside should run away with the boys division!!!

Informant

Looks like Westisde boys and Norfork girls run away with this one.

87DAWG

Quote from: Informant on November 07, 2018, 10:52:25 am
Looks like Westisde boys and Norfork girls run away with this one.
Melbourne is undersized but will have the best guard in that game, hands down. They might have something to say bout your comment. I've watched Melbourne last year and they lost no one and added a couple of good pieces. I saw Norfork earlier this year.

baller334

Quote from: 87DAWG on November 07, 2018, 11:49:17 am
Melbourne is undersized but will have the best guard in that game, hands down. They might have something to say bout your comment. I've watched Melbourne last year and they lost no one and added a couple of good pieces. I saw Norfork earlier this year.

I agree that Melbourne girls will give Norfork all they want and I wouldn't doubt if they don't win it.

Basketballfan13

Might be forgetting a 3rd team in girls...Alpena only lost to Norfork by 5 earlier this year at Norfork and had a shot to tie it with about 5 seconds left.

no mascot

Westside couldn't find a more competitive tournament?

ballmember

sounds like westside just needs a trophy

YSpanther

This tournament is usually a staple of the Boone to Baxter area, including many of the small schools, with a random 3A from time to time like Mountain View or Marshall.  Why the runnerup in 4A from last year is traveling nearly 3 hours to play here is a bit of a mystery.  But Flippin's coach is originally from that neck of the woods.  Maybe they are coaching friends and since Flippin is putting it on, they are coming over here to play.

whsbballfan

Westside is playing in this tournament because of the difficulty finding other nonconference regular season games.  In addition to our new conference ,  which includes some bigger schools,  we also are scheduled to play in the Hurricane Classic opening with 6A Bryant.  The NEA tournament is also on the schedule as well as a matchup with 6A Lake Hamilton.  The size of the school is not always a great indicator of how good a team  really is.  There are some pretty good small schools  from our area.

no mascot

What got from that explanation is ur saying that they want to play down in competition cuz their other tourneys have them playing up?

I think somebody else stated it well, they want a trophy.

whsbballfan

Yeah.  Your right.  That's the whole purpose.  We want a trophy that will sit in the case and rot.  You obviously missed the whole point.

no mascot

Evidently I am missing the point... who's going to be impressed if  a 4a wins a tourney against 1a teams? How does that prep for the post season? If they do happen to lose how demoralizing would that be to the players to not be able to win the little school tourney?

whsbballfan

If you would read the post, I stated the coach could not find any teams to fill out the nonconference schedule.  Sometimes that happens after a successful year.  Larger schools are mostly still playing football at this time.  I'm sure we would rather not drive so far if games were available.   Your narrow mind cannot comprehend that I assume.  Bigger schools are on the schedule as already noted.

YSpanther

Quote from: no mascot on November 11, 2018, 01:55:16 pm
Evidently I am missing the point... who's going to be impressed if  a 4a wins a tourney against 1a teams? How does that prep for the post season? If they do happen to lose how demoralizing would that be to the players to not be able to win the little school tourney?
This year it is more 2A and 1A, but last year Deer, Kingston, ICC, Western Grove all showed respectably in the 1A state tournment.  All those teams play in this tournament all the time, but this may be a bit of a down year.

NEA Razorback olfan

Westside will probably win every game 20pts +

no mascot

It's closer to Clinton, who has a tourney going on at the exact same time, than it is to Flippin. More schools their size, and a higher level of competition. If they were serious about finding a challenge they would have went elsewhere. No intention to demean small school basketball, but the level of athletes just isn't the same when you can select a team from so many more kids. Call me dumb, but I believe your argument is invalid. Let's call a spade a spade.

whsbballfan

You sound like some of our own fans who get upset when we play up against bigger schools as we have in the past( North Little Rock, Bartlett TN, and Springdale- Harber). The fact is our coach had a difficult time finding games and we are playing.  We will respect whoever the opponent is and if we come up short, life will go on.  As a team I think our kids look forward to the challenge of playing up when we do and I think ya'lls kids would be no different.

ozarkmtnsman

As mentioned before, the Arvest tournament has drawn some quality teams, even some 3A in the past. It does appear the field is somewhat weak this year.  Most of these teams have been playing basketball for a month, this will be the first games for Westside. So really don't see why someone would bash Westside for playing in this tournament. Two months from now it will be a distant memory whether they win a trophy or not.

whsbballfan

Well said ozarkmtnsman.  Definitely not just trying to win a trophy but trying to play some games.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 11, 2018, 06:02:07 pm #21 Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:12:59 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Make that , Westside by 30-40 pts + every game
Westside's bench is strong also, they will get lots of pt

no mascot

I don't think that 30-40 pt wins should even qualify as games. Players don't get any better in those blowouts.

YSpanther

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 11, 2018, 02:56:15 pm
Westside will probably win every game 20pts +
Possibly.  But I expect Yellville Summit to give them a game.  We returned virtually all the scoring from last year and have been honing our pressing defense.  Not saying Westside won't win, but don't expect everyone to be a pushover in this tournament.

YSpanther

Quote from: no mascot on November 11, 2018, 04:28:24 pm
It's closer to Clinton, who has a tourney going on at the exact same time, than it is to Flippin. More schools their size, and a higher level of competition. If they were serious about finding a challenge they would have went elsewhere. No intention to demean small school basketball, but the level of athletes just isn't the same when you can select a team from so many more kids. Call me dumb, but I believe your argument is invalid. Let's call a spade a spade.
I suggest you check out Google Maps. The difference is 8 miles.  So while I agree with most of the rest of the argument, I don't think 8 miles is that big of a deal breaker.

whsbballfan

Please understand that prediction didn't come from a Westside fan.   Every team we play will get their due respect.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 12, 2018, 02:24:23 pm #26 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:27:16 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: YSpanther on November 12, 2018, 01:25:54 am
Possibly.  But I expect Yellville Summit to give them a game.  We returned virtually all the scoring from last year and have been honing our pressing defense.  Not saying Westside won't win, but don't expect everyone to be a pushover in this tournament.

Good luck to Yellville!! 
I highly doubt you will be able to  press Westside though.

baller334

I don't know many schools regardless of classification that can press Westside much!!
The guards are very skilled and very experienced.

BrakeCheck5

Games have been pushed back a day because of weather.

Bomberman

Norfork girls up 47-2 at halftime vs. YS

Bomberman

84-16 final. Norfork girls

Bomberman

Melbourne girls up 41-12 vs Cotter at the half.

BrakeCheck5

Thursday tournament action:

Norfork vs Jasper (Girls) 4pm
Jonesboro WS vs Yellville-Summit (Boys) 5:30 pm
Alpena vs Melbourne (Girls) 7pm
Alpena vs Deer (Boys) 8:30 pm

(I did not list consolation bracket action, that is a lot to type out)

Bergman1820

Any results from last night?

baller334

Jonesboro Westside won like 70-21 or something
Norfork girls won by 8 or so
Not sure about other games

H.C.O

Bomberman

Girls final is Norfork vs. Melbourne and boys final is Jonesboro-westside vs. Deer

no mascot

Beating a dead horse, but I'm going to say it again.  Westside is wasting their time in this tournament. No knock on the kids whatsover. Makes no sense, screws up what should be a competitive tournament, and offers no opportunity for development. Players don't get better in 50 point wins.

baller334

Quote from: no mascot on November 16, 2018, 11:50:54 am
Beating a dead horse, but I'm going to say it again.  Westside is wasting their time in this tournament. No knock on the kids whatsover. Makes no sense, screws up what should be a competitive tournament, and offers no opportunity for development. Players don't get better in 50 point wins.

Well said bro

biglion1985

There's no BaptistPrep in this tourney lol

whsbballfan

Haters gonna hate especially those from Manila. 

baller334

Quote from: whsbballfan on November 16, 2018, 02:52:21 pm
Haters gonna hate especially those from Manila.

You know it!!!! 😂😂

biglion1985

No hating here I don't care who plays but why didn't they try to get in the tourney at brookland

whsbballfan

You obviously don't understand the history between the two schools.   Gross would not be inviting us over there.   And quite frankly, after seeing ya'lls game with them, why would we bother if you know what I mean.  Y'all kids played their heart out to get that kind of treatment.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 11, 2018, 06:02:07 pm
Make that , Westside by 30-40 pts + every game
Westside's bench is strong also, they will get lots of pt

I believe I was pretty close +or - 9pts
Westside is loaded, LR Mills has no chance

whsbballfan

We see the sarcasm there.  Mills is the definite favorite and quite frankly that conference is pretty loaded.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: whsbballfan on November 16, 2018, 10:12:09 pm
We see the sarcasm there.  Mills is the definite favorite and quite frankly that conference is pretty loaded.

How long did the Westside starters play vs Summit ?
4 or 5 mins?

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: whsbballfan on November 12, 2018, 08:27:13 am
Please understand that prediction didn't come from a Westside fan.   Every team we play will get their due respect.

70-21 wow I guess summit didn't earn the (Due Respect)

YSpanther

Quote from: baller334 on November 16, 2018, 10:49:53 am
Jonesboro Westside won like 70-21 or something
Norfork girls won by 8 or so
Not sure about other games
71-29, but really, who is counting.  It was around 20-14 at the end of the first quarter.  Looked like it might be a 20 point game, which is what I expected.  But in the second quarter, Westside couldn't miss and Yellville couldn't throw it in the ocean.  It didn't help that we were playing a passive zone and they were pressing the whole half, yet YS had 10 fouls called and Westside had 6 in the first half.  It really wouldn't have made any difference, but the refs let Westside manhandle us at will, to the point that the coach got a technical in the second quarter and he usually doesn't get them that much.  He pulled all of the starters about mid 3rd quarter and we were down to the end of the bench most of the 4th quarter.  I am not familiar with Westside and their players so I don't know if starters or 3rd stringers were playing in the second half, but I do know they continued to press continuously during the second half as well, while being up 30-40 most of that half.  I know it is the other team's job to play better, but is it really helping to press the other team's 13-18th players on the bench while up nearly 40?

As someone else noted, they really had no business being in this tournament.  Deer is on the level of Yellville or slightly less.  Better shooting, but smaller and a little less athletic.  The finals won't be much better than this one, or the 35 point win they had over Norfork on Tuesday.  I really don't understand driving 150 minutes one way to beat up on schools one half the size or much less. Westside 429 average enrollment, YS 190, Norfork 112, Deer 54.

And NEA you calling Yellville-Summit just summit over and over is a tad juvenile.  Like calling Westside consolidated, consolidated repeatedly.  Most wouldn't even know exactly who you are mocking.

I really thought it might have been a little closer, since we hung with Osceola at regionals last year, losing by close to 10.  But it wasn't close at all in this game.  Westside is definitely good, but it is hard to judge with such a gap in competition level. I suspect they will probably go far in state in 4A once again.

NEA Razorback olfan

No offense to Yellville-Summit, I just don't know much about them. Good luck the rest of the year!! It wouldn't surprise me Westside pressing while up 30-40, looks like they will definitely get their trophy.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas