• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clinton Football

Started by bearfan, October 04, 2018, 10:38:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bearfan

This team seems like the real deal this year. Whats yalls thoughts

beach bum

Quote from: bearfan on October 04, 2018, 10:38:49 am
This team seems like the real deal this year. Whats yalls thoughts

No

beach bum

They'll learn like every team in the history of football... An elite defense is needed to win a title amd giving up 27 ppg is not an elite defense. When the weather gets crummy in November and December... and the quality of opponents picks up you can't win 4 or 5 straight shoot outs of 50-40. Eventually you run into a team that  imposes its will physically on defense and in the trenches.

CatPride

Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2018, 10:47:20 am
They'll learn like every team in the history of football... An elite defense is needed to win a title and giving up 27 ppg is not an elite defense. When the weather gets crummy in November and December... and the quality of opponents picks up you can't win 4 or 5 straight shoot outs of 50-40. Eventually you run into a team that  imposes its will physically on defense and in the trenches.

Agreed!!

Proud Buckaroo

The first time this season....

CLINTON IS THE REAL DEALLLLLLL!!!!

I was waiting for this.

TruthHurts

I wud put Booneville, Prescott, Smackover, and Glen Rose in front of them.

Jimbo Morphis

panther07

October 04, 2018, 02:19:26 pm #7 Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:22:40 pm by panther07
Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2018, 10:47:20 am
They'll learn like every team in the history of football... An elite defense is needed to win a title amd giving up 27 ppg is not an elite defense. When the weather gets crummy in November and December... and the quality of opponents picks up you can't win 4 or 5 straight shoot outs of 50-40. Eventually you run into a team that  imposes its will physically on defense and in the trenches.

I don't agree with that. HA has 2 state titles since 2012 and another runner up. They aren't known for playing extraordinarily strong defense. Defense was fine those years, but they've always been an offensive team.

Gave up 33-29-45 the last 3 rounds on the way to title in 2012

elmerfudd

Quote from: panther07 on October 04, 2018, 02:19:26 pm
I don't agree with that. HA has 2 state titles since 2012 and another runner up. They aren't known for playing extraordinarily strong defense. Defense was fine those years, but they've always been an offensive team.

Gave up 33-29-45 the last 3 rounds on the way to title in 2012

You're comparing apples to oranges. Clinton does not have the offensive philosophy to score quickly. There are obviously the few exceptions, like PA for example, who can get away with average defense. But even you said HA had a "fine" defense during those years. They may not have been elite, per say, but they were relatively better than average for HA, according to you. And that's his point...it takes one of your best defensive units to make a state run, and I bet even Clinton fans would tell you their current defense is relatively average.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: elmerfudd on October 04, 2018, 09:37:09 pm
You're comparing apples to oranges. Clinton does not have the offensive philosophy to score quickly. There are obviously the few exceptions, like PA for example, who can get away with average defense. But even you said HA had a "fine" defense during those years. They may not have been elite, per say, but they were relatively better than average for HA, according to you. And that's his point...it takes one of your best defensive units to make a state run, and I bet even Clinton fans would tell you their current defense is relatively average.
There is some  truth to what you say. In 2015, the Wildcats did not stuff the state's leading rusher in the title game, but they did manage to put a bridle on him and hold the Colts to 18 points.

ESPNAnalyst44

Clinton's defense isn't weak. I really think you guys underestimate Melbourne's offense first of all. Their ability to throw the ball was surprising to say the least. Also defensive starters aren't playing a majority of the time in these games. They play both sides and rotate a lot of defensive backs and linebackers. When it comes down to it Clinton will be able to play tough against teams like Booneville, but only time will tell.

CoolBreeze

Another factor to consider, Clinton has played a tougher schedule than most to this point. Not a weak sister in the bunch. It's true that Heber Springs has only one win, but they have also played a tough schedule, and all but one of their losses were by three points or less.

Because of the tough schedule, opponents have scored more than if they had played typical non-conference schedule and had not already defeated their two strongest in-conference opponents. The point differential will likely increase between now and the end of the regular season as they face Yellville-Summit, Strong, Marshall, and Mountain View.

elmerfudd

I stand corrected....Clinton pitched a shutout tonight. They might just have a good defense after all. That offense though.....😬 13 points?!?

CoolBreeze

Quote from: elmerfudd on October 05, 2018, 10:18:16 pm
I stand corrected....Clinton pitched a shutout tonight. They might just have a good defense after all. That offense though.....😬 13 points?!?
I guess the defenses always dominate in a forfeit. LOL!

elmerfudd

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 06, 2018, 12:15:25 pm
I guess the defenses always dominate in a forfeit. LOL!

You take em however you can get em!!

Yellowjacket$$$

Clinton has good players that can play with anyone . Not sure why they don't attack more in defense. It would help 100%  they usually only rush 3 and it doesn't work against passing team  you would think they would've figured that out . Melbourne has a great game plan coming into that game . They sold out to stop the run and dared the yellowjacets to pass. And the jackets kept running into 9 sometimes 10 man box . It really showed how much talent the jackets really have . Credit to Melbourne players and coaches great game plan .   Yellowjackets had a chance to put that game away early and didn't take advantage of the opportunities

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas