• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Younger refs

Started by teachers pet, January 10, 2018, 05:34:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

teachers pet

I've been to most of Jessieville's home games and we have been getting a younger referee squad, probably in their late 20's or early 30's. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, they're not afraid to tee up players or coaches.

beach bum

Quote from: teachers pet on January 10, 2018, 05:34:27 pm
I've been to most of Jessieville's home games and we have been getting a younger referee squad, probably in their late 20's or early 30's. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, they're not afraid to tee up players or coaches.

Good.... There is nothing worse than seeing coaches who get away with screaming all games at the refs. Those same coaches usually spend the rest of the time screaming at their players so much too that it distracts people from watching the actual game that is going on.

BigLion10

These younger refs pay more attention to what the crowd says than the game sometimes as well, I've seen a lot more fans enected this year then the past

4real

Honestly I'm glad to know younger refs are somewhere!  Not many in most places. They have to cut their teeth somehow. Wish we could get more young men and women involved

Basketball13

Wish more younger people would truly see the beauty in officiating. Many people don't know that you have to stop officiating at the HS level and you can almost make a career path to work college basketball or potentially the NBA. The family that comes from it is great and the friendships are even better. It helps me grow as an individual and into the person that I am trying to become. There is a whole lot more than just blowing a whistle when you are a younger referee. Although it's not JUST for younger refs.. we're expected to be good mechnically, make sure all the gear fits the best it can, know rules, positioning, etc to a T.. or so it seems. The criticism is higher.. especially when you start to work games that other men and women thought they should be working because they've been doing it for X amount of years. IT is what it is.. but definitely agree that we need more younger men and women to get interested in this path.

Head Lion

There was a young guy about 25 from Hot Springs for the Rumble. He is the best young official I have seen in 20 years.

teachers pet

He may be one of the three we're getting at Jessieville.

4real

Quote from: Basketball13 on January 11, 2018, 10:48:23 am
Wish more younger people would truly see the beauty in officiating. Many people don't know that you have to stop officiating at the HS level and you can almost make a career path to work college basketball or potentially the NBA. The family that comes from it is great and the friendships are even better. It helps me grow as an individual and into the person that I am trying to become. There is a whole lot more than just blowing a whistle when you are a younger referee. Although it's not JUST for younger refs.. we're expected to be good mechnically, make sure all the gear fits the best it can, know rules, positioning, etc to a T.. or so it seems. The criticism is higher.. especially when you start to work games that other men and women thought they should be working because they've been doing it for X amount of years. IT is what it is.. but definitely agree that we need more younger men and women to get interested in this path.
OK, bud.  I am officially appointing you the AOA head of recruitment!  Put together a presentation with a slide show, some background music, video clips of great refs in action, call in a few coaches to talk about how important they are to the game, and hit the road across the state to give the sales pitch.  We can call coaches who understand how helpful they could be in getting the word out to former players, and here we go...That would be great

Longfellow

Quote from: 4real on January 11, 2018, 07:29:53 pm
OK, bud.  I am officially appointing you the AOA head of recruitment!  Put together a presentation with a slide show, some background music, video clips of great refs in action, call in a few coaches to talk about how important they are to the game, and hit the road across the state to give the sales pitch.  We can call coaches who understand how helpful they could be in getting the word out to former players, and here we go...That would be great
I'll help fund the gas

Neckred

Quote from: beach bum on January 10, 2018, 05:43:01 pm
Good.... There is nothing worse than seeing coaches who get away with screaming all games at the refs. Those same coaches usually spend the rest of the time screaming at their players so much too that it distracts people from watching the actual game that is going on.
yep

Basketball13

Quote from: 4real on January 11, 2018, 07:29:53 pm

Honestly something like this would be great. I don't see why most college kids wouldn't want to referee multiple sports. You can make more refereeing than you can make working at Mcdonalds. If you work football, basketball, and baseball which are what a lot of kids in this area play.. you can make some decent money and then who knows; you may get to a point where you want to get into college officiating and make even more. The sky is the limit with refereeing for younger officials and too many are afraid to look into it, so I don't know if you were partially joking or being serious but something like this would really help.

4real

James Durham of Hackett is a great example.  He was a solid HS BB ref in the Ft Smith area in his 20-30's, did a great job.  Later, he got the call to fill in with a Big12 crew, if I remember right.  Eventually, he got into the Big 12.  Pretty good paying games too.
One thing to keep in mind, if you are short and stumpy, and it appears at first glance you were never athletic, it takes longer to get the street respect a guy like James got.  He was athletically built, about 6'4" and had a commanding physical presence the Big12 guys respected.

Basketball13

Quote from: 4real on January 12, 2018, 10:27:03 am
James Durham of Hackett is a great example.  He was a solid HS BB ref in the Ft Smith area in his 20-30's, did a great job.  Later, he got the call to fill in with a Big12 crew, if I remember right.  Eventually, he got into the Big 12.  Pretty good paying games too.
One thing to keep in mind, if you are short and stumpy, and it appears at first glance you were never athletic, it takes longer to get the street respect a guy like James got.  He was athletically built, about 6'4" and had a commanding physical presence the Big12 guys respected.

Haha Trust me.. I know James very well.. and he's still working bigger games. He's on TV a few times a year working decent games. We've got a few guys from AR that are high up in the rankings that go under the radar. But you're right.. the bigger the build the easier it is to get into the men's side of college officiating, however; it's not the only thing that will get you there.

4real

Quote from: Basketball13 on January 12, 2018, 11:31:58 am
Haha Trust me.. I know James very well.. and he's still working bigger games. He's on TV a few times a year working decent games. We've got a few guys from AR that are high up in the rankings that go under the radar. But you're right.. the bigger the build the easier it is to get into the men's side of college officiating, however; it's not the only thing that will get you there.
Yup.  Good dude.

So, what else will get you there? There needs to be more women and minorities in the game.  They can get moved up quickly when they do well.

nuttinbuthogs

I watch a lot of games each year and in just about every sport.  Good and bad officials exist in all.  Sometimes is inexperience, sometimes its being unable to cover the field or court adequately because of age or physical condition.  Some are just jerks, in the way they talk to kids, coaches and sometimes fans.  Good officials are partially deaf.   Good officials come in all shapes, sizes, genders, and colors, just like bad ones.  If they know the rules, call the game fairly on both sides, work with the coaches and kids to keep it civil and safe and don't try to influence the outcome based on some preconceived notion, things work out pretty good.

4real

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 12, 2018, 12:24:18 pm
I watch a lot of games each year and in just about every sport.  Good and bad officials exist in all.  Sometimes is inexperience, sometimes its being unable to cover the field or court adequately because of age or physical condition.  Some are just jerks, in the way they talk to kids, coaches and sometimes fans.  Good officials are partially deaf.   Good officials come in all shapes, sizes, genders, and colors, just like bad ones.  If they know the rules, call the game fairly on both sides, work with the coaches and kids to keep it civil and safe and don't try to influence the outcome based on some preconceived notion, things work out pretty good.
Thats great stuff dude.  One of the best officials that ever worked a game for me before I stepped away from the game was a black man named Bobby Shephard, from Ft Smith.  Great, great official.  Never got in the political circles that entrapped many guys in that area at that time.  Called a great game every time.  He could take a butt chewing and listen to the real message and not get his feelings hurt.  Then, when you went over the line, cuz you're frustrated, and he understood the situation, he would give a look at the coach that wasn't mean, just like, what the heck is wrong with you coach, you lost your mind? Kind of look.  Then you knew, yep, I'm an idiot who is frustrated, sorry I took it out on you Bobby.  You are right.  Miss those kinds of guys.

Ba$ketballFan54321

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 12, 2018, 12:24:18 pm
+1
I agree. It's hard to be an official. You have to make really quick judgments, and there's alot of pressure that comes with it. I personally couldn't do it. All I expect is that they know the rulebook and call the game consistently. As a player, consistency is probably your top expectation for an official. I'm glad we're getting some younger guys in the game.

Basketball13

Quote from: 4real on January 12, 2018, 11:42:07 am
Yup.  Good dude.

So, what else will get you there? There needs to be more women and minorities in the game.  They can get moved up quickly when they do well.

Going to camp. Going to camp. Going to camp.

^^^ This is probably the biggest thing someone can do to move up to the next level.

Watch your game film. Do your mechanics in the mirror. Find the things you do wrong, not right, and fix them. Talk to people and learn how to network; the more people you know the easier the climb is going to be. Have rules knowledge and know how to differentiate between calling an NCAA game and an NFHS game. Keep your body in shape and be able to keep up and compete with the best of them.

These are just some of the basics, however; they are some of the most important stepping stones in moving up the ladder in officiating.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas