• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clock running, but no mercy rule

Started by Seminole_76, October 22, 2017, 09:49:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole_76

What do the rules say about the starting/stopping of the game clock when the sportsmanship rule is not applied?  Friday night Osceola vs Manila, referees kept clock going the entire 3rd quarter as if the rule was in place. Beginning 4th quarter, clock goes back to normal operation.  Score at halftime Osceola 28 Manila 0.  Is there any "gentleman's rule" that says if one team asks for this to be done, and the winning team doesn't object, the referee has the ability to change the rules?

Rulesman

October 22, 2017, 11:21:16 pm #1 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:20:52 am by Rulesman
3-1-3: "A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee."

I'm not sure a running clock falls under "may be shortened" in 3-1-3. EDIT: The Case Book does not address the issue. Why am I not surprised? ???

Was there the possibility of weather moving through? That might explain it

Seminole_76

No sir, no weather moving through.  I understand the opposing team coach asked for it, but changed his mind for the fourth quarter.  Guess he wanted his cake and eat it too.

High Voltage

Rulesman, I for one am shocked that you do not know! You need to brush up on these rules sir!

Rulesman

Quote from: High Voltage on October 24, 2017, 01:20:15 pm
Rulesman, I for one am shocked that you do not know! You need to brush up on these rules sir!
Especially since it is not something specificially covered in the rules. Yeah, even the big leagues have that happen occasionally.

HorseFeathers

I've seen it happen....coach knows he's completely outgunned and asks for running clock to get quicker and lessen the chance of one his guys getting hurt

Coach Jones

I have been a part of a game once that the opposing coach asked for a continuous clock to start the game.  I think we started the clock in the second quarter that night.

Dayton Kitchens

In 2008,  Springhill was visiting Strong and the Bear team was very low in numbers.   The Springhill coach asked for and received a running clock beginning with the opening kickoff.   

Generally there is no downside at all for the other team agreeing to it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas