• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Star Participants - Please read your packet carefully for required physical exam

Started by sevenof400, May 26, 2017, 02:06:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Let's get right to the point - if you are an All Star game participant, AAA WILL NOT accept the results of the physical that cleared you for sports participation at your school for your senior year as clearance to participate in the All Star Game.  In other words, the physical exam you received sometime last summer (perhaps even in late spring of 2016) leading up to the 2016-2017 school year WILL NOT SATISFY THE AAA REQUIREMENT to have a CURRENT PHYSICAL EXAM prior to participating in the 2017 All Star Game (or practices for that matter)

This issue rears its ugly head this time each year as many seniors do not have a current physical exam (as NOT defined by AHSAA - their form demands a current exam but fails to define what current means....).  If you are an athlete moving on to play at the college level, you WILL have a physical exam administered by your college/university as part of your incoming orientation.  If you are not playing sports in college, these seniors likely did NOT have a physical exam in the late spring of this year since they were graduating.  In any case, a good number of All Star Game participants will have to deal with this issue prior to All Star Week since they will not have (as defined by AAA) a 'current' physical.   

The point here is that you MUST have a CURRENT physical exam in order to participate in the All Star Game.  Here are your options:

• The easiest scenario is one where your school has physical exams scheduled sometime between now and the report date to the All Star Game.  If your school has annual physicals scheduled soon and you are participating in the All Star Game, take advantage of this to get your medical clearance to play in the All Star Game.  There is a form in the All Star packet that should be completed by the physician giving the exams.
  • If you school has already held their physical exams, you will need to find a private physical solution.  Ideally, you have an existing relationship with a physician and they MAY be willing to work you into their schedule for this purpose BUT given that most doctors schedule their appointments for many weeks ahead, you cannot depend on this solution.
  • Call your school and/or coach.  They may be aware of a physician who is available to handle situations like this.  If your coach doesn't know, try your athletic director.
  • Walk in clinics are a possibility here too but the value of such a visit would be questionable at best since any physician at a walk in clinic is unlikely to have any medical history with you but as long as the physician was willing to sign the form, it would satisfy AAA requirements.
Despite evidence to the contrary above, AAA has said they do NOT want the requirement of a physical exam to be a barrier to participation.  AAA went on to say that medical personnel would be available at camp check in if an All Star participant were lacking the proper medical clearance BUT (and this is one point I do understand) AAA obviously can't administer physicals to every camp attendee.  That would no doubt cause a serious backlog at check in...

Bottom Line: if you are an All Star participant, you need to have a CURRENT exam for participation in All Star week.  Get on this NOW!

chandler

If their physical is less than one year old throughout all star week, does that work for the AAA? The player I'm thinking of had a physical near the beginning of his senior year (Sept 2016). Does this work?

sevenof400

Quote from: chandler on May 30, 2017, 08:55:44 am
If their physical is less than one year old throughout all star week, does that work for the AAA? The player I'm thinking of had a physical near the beginning of his senior year (Sept 2016). Does this work?

Hello Chandler,

My best suggestion here is to call AAA and put them on the spot.  My best guess says it will NOT count but my opinion won't count for much with AAA.  Since the physical is less than one year old, there is a chance it could work. 

Please give AAA a call and share what you hear if you would please. Others may be in a similar situation. 

jjones91

What do players need to do if they have not received their packet for all star games?

sevenof400

Quote from: jjones91 on June 04, 2017, 09:56:31 pm
What do players need to do if they have not received their packet for all star games?

My best suggestion is to first contact your coach and/or athletic director.  If you cannot contact them, try AAA at (501)955-2500.
Please do this today because if AAA has NOT heard from an athlete that they will be attending their All Star game, the athlete could be dropped.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas