• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Eagles

Started by GB1987, November 17, 2010, 11:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

B.S.

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 24, 2010, 06:56:56 pm
If they bring it we will back it

If you don't push it they won't bring it. Parents have to start squeaking and keep squeaking until you get the oil you want.  If the people of Vilonia want change, you have to demand it, and be relentless until you get the change you want.  If you don't get it it is your fault, it starts with the parents.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 24, 2010, 10:38:38 pm
33-12 or whatever? That is still a very good record in any league whether playing in 1893 or playing grandma's bingo club.

They couldn't even win their conference then and at the time they only had 5 conference games.  OOC for Vilonia at the time was teams that all averaged under 100 enrollment.

Coach D

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 24, 2010, 07:02:02 pm
While no town is perfect, Vilonia does seem to suffer from a lack of success in many sports - not just football.  Not trying to be too philosophical here but Vilonia seems to do many things not very well. 

With the exception of girls basketball and bowling, Vilonia seems to struggle in just about every other sport.  Others have already mentioned that Vilonia is on the middle of the 5A attendance wise so it shouldn't be a case of too few student athletes.....  not that there cannot be improvement by the athletes (there's always room for that) but what of the coaches and the administration? 

Does Vilonia have a useful and functional youth sports system?  I'm sure there are some youth sport programs there but are they functioning in such a way that develops players for their high school teams?  At the same time, are the Vilonia coaches working with and playing an active part in the youth sport systems?  Introducing your coaching philosophies to athletes as early as possible would seem to be a step toward building a program.  From what has been discussed on this board previously, it might seem like an examination and duplication of how the girls basketball program is run would be a good place to start.  That program has certainly been successful - why not attempt to replicate that model in other programs?

Now it would be easy to point a finger at an administration that allowed thousands of dollars to be stolen from under their very noses as the sole source of this problem but not all of the blame can be laid at the feet of administration.  However, if administration is serious about improving the state of things in Vilonia, they should be the leading force in starting efforts to review the entire athletic program with a goal of improvement (not finger pointing).   

I don't have the answers to any of these questions but it seems logical that if Vilonia wants to improve these are questions someone should be asking.....and answering.

Mr. Sellers is a wise old fox. I know his eyes and ears are open at all times. I think he is a big part of why our Vilonia schools are so good. I think he will make the right decisions if there are any to be made in any sport at Vilonia. Let us remember, this is really his first full year as our AD and to have our student athletes, he has done well with our students for years I'm sure he will do the same with our athletes and their programs.

Coach D

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on November 24, 2010, 10:53:37 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on November 24, 2010, 10:38:38 pm
33-12 or whatever? That is still a very good record in any league whether playing in 1893 or playing grandma's bingo club.

They couldn't even win their conference then and at the time they only had 5 conference games.  OOC for Vilonia at the time was teams that all averaged under 100 enrollment.

Hey guru, shut up!

In those days they were lucky if they had 15 players on the team.

Eat your fibre bar and go to bed

Coach D

SHOO FLY!

You sound like the kind of person that hopes Boise State is National Champs

Lifer

[quote author=SingleWingGuru link=topic=109252.msg2327940#msg2327940 date=12906

[/quote]
                  Wrong again. they had 7 conf games and 3 non. also I bet there were atleast 200 enrollment at some of those non conf schools.. coach D you right on about Mr Sellers.

Coach D

November 24, 2010, 11:06:29 pm #106 Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:25:13 pm by Coach D
Thanks Lifer

Do you remember the fighting 11

Who is gb1987 he started this thread and I have not heard a word from him since

I guess someone that wanted to get crap started and then roll in it

I really can't remember where he or she was trying to go with this thread

It is easy to tell who I am, I do not and will not hide it. I have a son in this program, he and we as parents have given sweat,tears and time to see this program go to its full potential. I will never give up on these young men, and I have coached most of them in baseball over time and they know I will never give up on them. I do though have questions on other people giving up on them and it is time for us as parents to ask the questions you want to ask. The Vilonia fans want a program to be proud of, we are proud of all our athletes so let us help them, let's ask the questions

Lifer

I did not see them play. But know the team. I beleve it was the fighting 15

Coach D

Sorry I got carried away

Coach D

Quote from: Lifer on November 24, 2010, 11:13:26 pm
I did not see them play. But know the team. I beleve it was the fighting 15

My wife told me about them

I also heard of them when I played at Morrilton

InYoGrill

Quote from: Coach D on November 24, 2010, 11:06:29 pm
Thanks Lifer

It is easy to tell who I am, I do not and will not hide it. I have a son in this program, he and we as parents have given sweat,tears and time to see this program go to its full potential. I will never give up on these young men, and I have coached most of them in baseball over time and they know I will never give up on them. I do though have questions on other people giving up on them and it is time for us as parents to ask the questions you want to ask. The Vilonia fans want a program to be proud of, we are proud of all our athletes so let us help them, let's ask the questions

Coach D, I share your thoughts well. The program needs to be evaluated every year for improvement and correction just like every working person has a yearly evaluation to enhance the employee and company.

YellowHammer

Wow! I havnt looked at FF in a week and it took me 15 minutes to read all the Vilonia stuff! I'm shocked to see IYG has decided to get off the "high road" and speak his mind. It's refreshing, I must say. The post about the Youth programs are valid and I know we are improving in that area in some sports.
I have said much on the topic of our football program and wont re-hash all the specifics of my earlier posts.  A couple things to consider though:
1.  Our new AD is in the twilight of his career and not likely to go through the process of a major coaching change at this point.
2.  Winning is not important to our AD and will not be a consideration in any decision he ever makes.
3.  No one holds our coach accountable for a W-L record and no one could ever have that discussion with him to convince him to change his philosophies.

So......we are left with many more seasons to bask in our glorious mediocrity. Good Luck Eagles.

YellowHammer

Defender:
1.  Too late.
2.  Not my job. I am not his supervisor.

The_Pioneer

Vilonia fans show their true character. 

YellowHammer

Pioneer fans met the 5A West tonight!

Badger4

Totally off topic of this thread but Beebe and their offense is the same way

DeepCoverage

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 26, 2010, 08:25:29 pm
Wow! I havnt looked at FF in a week and it took me 15 minutes to read all the Vilonia stuff! I'm shocked to see IYG has decided to get off the "high road" and speak his mind. It's refreshing, I must say. The post about the Youth programs are valid and I know we are improving in that area in some sports.
I have said much on the topic of our football program and wont re-hash all the specifics of my earlier posts.  A couple things to consider though:
1.  Our new AD is in the twilight of his career and not likely to go through the process of a major coaching change at this point.
2.  Winning is not important to our AD and will not be a consideration in any decision he ever makes.
3.  No one holds our coach accountable for a W-L record and no one could ever have that discussion with him to convince him to change his philosophies.

So......we are left with many more seasons to bask in our glorious mediocrity. Good Luck Eagles.

Maybe the problem will take care of its self after Jan, 1

DeepCoverage

Quote from: GB1987 on November 17, 2010, 11:46:30 am
What happened to the Vilonia Eagles this year with all the talent they had at hand? Any college athetes or D-1 players on team?

There are college athletes in this 2011 class but I do not think there are any D-1 players.

I hope I am wrong

sportslover_2

The double wing will not work at Vilonia. It never will until you parents stop bad mouthing your son's coach and his style of offense. Is Stanley perfect... no he has made some questionable decisions. But whether you like it or not he is your son's head coach. YOU are causing your kids to hate Stanley, the double wing, and some of them even football because you have convinced them with your bad-mouthing that they can not win under the current system. If players do not have confindence in their coach, they will not win in the end. You have made your kids believe that Stanley is an idiot and that the double wing does not work. Therefore they dont trust their coach to lead them to victory because of YOU.
In any offense, or sport for that matter, if the kids do not trust their coach and have confindence in him; they will not succeed.

sportslover_2

Another thing... I think it is funny when people make reference to Vilonia running the spread with Puckett in 07 and it working. You are wrong. They ran the spread the first half of the season. They won the first two games against not very good teams. Then they went 0-4. After leading Beebe 42-21 at half with that high-powered spread, Beebe came back and won 49-42. We lost the first 3 conference games to Siloam, LRC, and Greenwood. We pulled out the old double wing halfway through the LRC game and almost won. Greenwood was great that year and after beating them the year before on their turf, they werent letting that happen again. The seniors then pulled together and made up their minds that they wanted to make the playoffs for their first time. They won 4 straight conference games. Went into the playoffs as the 4 seed, having to travel to Blytheville to play the #1 team in the state. They dominated them in the first half to take the upset. Went to West Helena the next week to pull out another upset. They made it to the semifinals and ended up with an 8-5 record; running the double wing!

3up3down

Quote from: sportslover_2 on November 29, 2010, 09:17:10 am
The double wing will not work at Vilonia. It never will until you parents stop bad mouthing your son's coach and his style of offense. Is Stanley perfect... no he has made some questionable decisions. But whether you like it or not he is your son's head coach. YOU are causing your kids to hate Stanley, the double wing, and some of them even football because you have convinced them with your bad-mouthing that they can not win under the current system. If players do not have confindence in their coach, they will not win in the end. You have made your kids believe that Stanley is an idiot and that the double wing does not work. Therefore they dont trust their coach to lead them to victory because of YOU.
In any offense, or sport for that matter, if the kids do not trust their coach and have confindence in him; they will not succeed.

+1 on your post

The kids are the smart ones, they see it, and feel it

and then talk to the parents about how they feel, at least around my house any way

InYoGrill

Bull smelly cow patty.  That's how I view your post. The kids don't hate the Coach and the parents don't hate
the Coach. It's the lack of motivation and adjustments from the Coach that has stirred the high expectations
and disappointment this year. Did you go to any of the games this year? Did you have a son in the locker room
during halftimes? Did you personally have conversation with more than a handful of seniors this year? The so called
bad mouthing came toward the end of the year when we started to face real competition and we failed miserably.
The kids gave all! Head Coaches are paid well and they are expected to give all as well. We have a top notch O
coordinator that has won multiple state rings at other schools as a head Coach but his experience was never
used during play calling. I know for fact that the kids love and trust their Coach to lead them. Mine played all
3 years and never ever bad mouthed Coach or the system. I spent a lot of money through the season for PINK
stuff for my boy to show support for Coaches wife and her cancer fight without wavering one second to show that support Coach and his wife. I'm not condeming Coach to leave. I'm posting to see what others see that it would help the team to
show some open thinking with the play calling at times. OBviously others see the same things. The double wing has proven it can work at V but you have to bring some adjustments to it in certain game situations. The play calling this season toward the end against better teams suffered tremendously. I've watched these  kids practice since JR high and know they can
run more than 3 basic double wing plays. In any sport, you have to adjust to the changing of times or you stand the chance to sit on the sidelines while others play on. This year was a perfect example of a team with almost 25 SR's and many returning players with experience that had a very good chance to go further in the playoffs.

3up3down

YellowHammer

NOW that's In YO Grill!  Well said. We all would just like to see a more balanced offensive game, that's all.

3up3down

Quote from: sportslover_2 on November 29, 2010, 09:17:10 am

The kids nor the parents are on a hate trip. I just want my kid to get as much out of his coaches as he gives them and that goes for all the kids

Coach D

November 29, 2010, 09:10:57 pm #125 Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:26:44 pm by Coach D
motivation and leadership has to be taught by older men that are dealing with 16&17year old young men

not motivating young men to do anything even if it is taking out the trash is a sin in my book

how can you not be excited having a young man looking into your eyes and believing in you and following you where ever it is you want him to go

i have only personally spoke to our hc maybe twice and it was never about my son it was only in passing in the parking lot or in the field house

seems to be a nice fellow

maybe he needs a little motivation

but he does get paid to be motivated and get our kids motivated

INYOGRILL WONDERFUL POST

nomorewhining

Quote from: sportslover_2 on November 29, 2010, 09:17:53 am
Another thing... I think it is funny when people make reference to Vilonia running the spread with Puckett in 07 and it working. You are wrong. They ran the spread the first half of the season. They won the first two games against not very good teams. Then they went 0-4. After leading Beebe 42-21 at half with that high-powered spread, Beebe came back and won 49-42. We lost the first 3 conference games to Siloam, LRC, and Greenwood. We pulled out the old double wing halfway through the LRC game and almost won. Greenwood was great that year and after beating them the year before on their turf, they werent letting that happen again. The seniors then pulled together and made up their minds that they wanted to make the playoffs for their first time. They won 4 straight conference games. Went into the playoffs as the 4 seed, having to travel to Blytheville to play the #1 team in the state. They dominated them in the first half to take the upset. Went to West Helena the next week to pull out another upset. They made it to the semifinals and ended up with an 8-5 record; running the double wing!

You are partially right.....the spread was used exclusively in '07 during the 3 non conference games...and after blowing a 41-12 lead against beebe, because v couldn't kill clock in the spread...the double wing came back out in the first conference game.....about a 50/50 split between dwing and spread....v lost the first 3 conference games...then went to more dwing, 80/20...and won the last 4 conference games...but in the playoffs, against bigger, stronger teams, v went back to the spread mostly...80/20 spread/dwing...and made it to the semis, where a dropped td pass stood between them and the state championship game.

Coach D

Did we not go back to the double wing that year because we had no defense

we could score we just could not stop anyone else from scoring more so we controlled the clock

DeepCoverage

November 29, 2010, 10:22:42 pm #128 Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:27:40 pm by DeepCoverage
Quote from: InYoGrill on November 18, 2010, 04:24:25 pm
Quote from: 3up3down on November 18, 2010, 04:19:06 pm
Kyle Wyatt

Unless a JR that did not play this year steps in and takes the spot

I sure did not see anything out of the 9th grade group

Are we forgetting #6 Henderson? My opinion from watching some jv games and what I heard from other players was that he has better accuracy than DK but obviously not the running of DK (which he was one of a kind).  If it is Wyatt great but he better GROW big time cause he is a little tiny guy.

I was told #6 was not playing next year is this correct?
My bad, I heard they were not going to put him at QB

InYoGrill

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 29, 2010, 03:21:19 pm
NOW that's In YO Grill!  Well said. We all would just like to see a more balanced offensive game, that's all.

YH, where in the world is RTR??? Is he lost and confused from all the bama disappointments? Tell him we miss him and want him back on here to enlighten us.  :)

RTR

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 29, 2010, 10:28:51 pm
Quote from: YellowHammer on November 29, 2010, 03:21:19 pm

YH, where in the world is RTR??? Is he lost and confused from all the bama disappointments? Tell him we miss him and want him back on here to enlighten us.  :)

I'm here.  Just been laying low.  I pretty much agree with what YellowHammer said on his post.  He is right about the AD Mr Sellers.  Good man and I really like him but I'm not sure how many years he has left in him.

Paw-Paw

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 29, 2010, 01:12:05 pm
Bull smelly cow patty.  That's how I view your post. The kids don't hate the Coach and the parents don't hate
the Coach. It's the lack of motivation and adjustments from the Coach that has stirred the high expectations
and disappointment this year. Did you go to any of the games this year? Did you have a son in the locker room
during halftimes? Did you personally have conversation with more than a handful of seniors this year? The so called
bad mouthing came toward the end of the year when we started to face real competition and we failed miserably.
The kids gave all! Head Coaches are paid well and they are expected to give all as well. We have a top notch O
coordinator that has won multiple state rings at other schools as a head Coach but his experience was never
used during play calling. I know for fact that the kids love and trust their Coach to lead them. Mine played all
3 years and never ever bad mouthed Coach or the system. I spent a lot of money through the season for PINK
stuff for my boy to show support for Coaches wife and her cancer fight without wavering one second to show that support Coach and his wife. I'm not condeming Coach to leave. I'm posting to see what others see that it would help the team to
show some open thinking with the play calling at times. OBviously others see the same things. The double wing has proven it can work at V but you have to bring some adjustments to it in certain game situations. The play calling this season toward the end against better teams suffered tremendously. I've watched these  kids practice since JR high and know they can
run more than 3 basic double wing plays. In any sport, you have to adjust to the changing of times or you stand the chance to sit on the sidelines while others play on. This year was a perfect example of a team with almost 25 SR's and many returning players with experience that had a very good chance to go further in the playoffs.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO IYG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hogskin

All of u sound like idiots. I watched a lot of vilonia film this year evaluating talent and the coaches did a great job with what they have. maybe in your backwoods world u had great players but they are very average and only one was a legitiment d-1 guy the rest have no hope. U have no speed size or athletic ability compared to other top notch schools. After talking to stanley the main reason we stopped recruiting a few of the players was thier lack of effort and exicution in practice. Coach at the Jr level was the main reason he pointed to for the lack of basic football knowledge having to be retaught

3up3down

I think you need to stop by our backwoods world and talk to Coach Stout
and then come talk to me

Why would our HC put down his JR high program, he hired them and they are running the same system the high school is

sportslover_2

Quote from: nomorewhining on November 29, 2010, 09:26:42 pm
Quote from: sportslover_2 on November 29, 2010, 09:17:53 am
Another thing... I think it is funny when people make reference to Vilonia running the spread with Puckett in 07 and it working. You are wrong. They ran the spread the first half of the season. They won the first two games against not very good teams. Then they went 0-4. After leading Beebe 42-21 at half with that high-powered spread, Beebe came back and won 49-42. We lost the first 3 conference games to Siloam, LRC, and Greenwood. We pulled out the old double wing halfway through the LRC game and almost won. Greenwood was great that year and after beating them the year before on their turf, they werent letting that happen again. The seniors then pulled together and made up their minds that they wanted to make the playoffs for their first time. They won 4 straight conference games. Went into the playoffs as the 4 seed, having to travel to Blytheville to play the #1 team in the state. They dominated them in the first half to take the upset. Went to West Helena the next week to pull out another upset. They made it to the semifinals and ended up with an 8-5 record; running mostly the double wing!

You are partially right.....the spread was used exclusively in '07 during the 3 non conference games...and after blowing a 41-12 lead against beebe, because v couldn't kill clock in the spread...the double wing came back out in the first conference game.....about a 50/50 split between dwing and spread....v lost the first 3 conference games...then went to more dwing, 80/20...and won the last 4 conference games...but in the playoffs, against bigger, stronger teams, v went back to the spread mostly...80/20 spread/dwing...and made it to the semis, where a dropped td pass stood between them and the state championship game.

Yes you are right! I remember we still ran the spread some, especially as a 2-minute offense and on 3rd and long. It worked great when we pulled it out with that little tunnel screen to Nathan. And yes the spread that year is what led us to almost beating LRC in the semis. That was a miserable night! Freezing cold, rained all day, and a lot of our boys were just plum beat up and wore out.
And tell me if im wrong..but didnt we run mainly double wing at Blytheville, then at Helena used a lot of spread after Tyler Head broke his foot..Am I right? Then thats why we had to use the spread at LRC because Tyler was our dependable go-to back in the double wing.

Lifer

Quote from: Hogskin on November 30, 2010, 08:17:44 am
All of u sound like idiots. I watched a lot of vilonia film this year evaluating talent and the coaches did a great job with what they have. maybe in your backwoods world u had great players but they are very average and only one was a legitiment d-1 guy the rest have no hope. U have no speed size or athletic ability compared to other top notch schools. After talking to stanley the main reason we stopped recruiting a few of the players was thier lack of effort and exicution in practice. Coach at the Jr level was the main reason he pointed to for the lack of basic football knowledge having to be retaught
I read on here where you watch film on this and on that. Most of the stuff you say makes no sense. Maybe you should rethink the way you watch film. But what do I know  I really am a backwoods IDIOT and pretty dang proud of it thank you very much........

InYoGrill

Congrats for blowing this topic into a NUKE cloud. Fallout will be ugly. Coach Stout has been with the program for 5 years.
His resume reads very strong up to I believe as AD at a high school in south AR and Coach of a high school
team as well. Every kid that has gone through his JR program would more than likely tell you they would walk
though a mine field for him. That is how respected and loved he is by these young men. He taught them
life lessons to carry on.

You can win a lot of games with very average talent as long as you can coach that talent to meet and
exceed their abilities. Cabot case in point is expected to go to the playoffs every year.

I had a page long rebuttal with the rest of your comments about the "backwoods" stuff and your Coach/buddy
relationship as a college talent evaluator but I'll leave it in the archives.

Wish you had NOT mentioned that crock of BULL on here! I'll end this post with that

vtownline

who would be the best lineman?

3up3down

DeepCoverage

I really have a problem believing anything you write on any thread

I definitely do not believe a HC would down his Jr High program to you

Vilonia has a has a good Coaching staff at that level, they had a off year this year but did not have the athletes needed to get it done and that happens

Do you have spell check on your computer

Hogskin

There is a reason jr high coaches are in jr high. Why is everyone so fired up about Stanely, he is a very good coach, everytime I enquired about a player he was very helpful and curtious. We asked him about his secondary coach and that is when he went on to explain how discussed he was when he  first got here about the lack of football sense the boys coming from jr high have not to throw anyone under the bus but it sounds like the problem far exceeds high school. They have to be taught to play from an earlier age and I guess the people from your town have no football knowledge

3up3down

Well I guess we should just try for the 4 seed every year in the west
since we have zero knowledge of football in the backwoods of Faulkner County
maybe we should just stop football and go to wrestling on the new turf or field hockey
and race horses around the track

If he was discusted about our Jr high program and the lack of football sense when he got here(2003) I would think he has had plenty of time to change it

Really I don't think you're making much football sense

Go to class before I tell your Mom

Lifer

Quote from: Hogskin on November 30, 2010, 10:32:53 am
There is a reason jr high coaches are in jr high. Why is everyone so fired up about Stanely, he is a very good coach, everytime I enquired about a player he was very helpful and curtious. We asked him about his secondary coach and that is when he went on to explain how discussed he was when he  first got here about the lack of football sense the boys coming from jr high have not to throw anyone under the bus but it sounds like the problem far exceeds high school. They have to be taught to play from an earlier age and I guess the people from your town have no football knowledge
This being said by the same guy  that said " No way Baitesville matches up with Vilonia no way no how. I know because I have seen FILM...."
                          He has not a clue Stout was not even here in 03

Hogskin

I meant the DB coach was amazed at how poor the kids fundementals were, and I would go to class but your wife and me are having to much fun playing rugby on your turf field

Lifer

Quote from: Hogskin on November 30, 2010, 11:21:31 am
I meant the DB coach was amazed at how poor the kids fundementals were, and I would go to class but your wife and me are having to much fun playing rugby on your turf field
Now that is Class. Not a clue

Lifer

Did the DB coach used to coach soccer

YellowHammer

Hog4skin: step off. For you know not of what you speak.  I'm sure you have fun playing the role of "College Talent Evaluator" on this message board, but your level of professionalism and integrity as demonstrated on this board certiantly diminishes any credibility you may have duped anyone to believe.

pantherblue

The poser lost that months ago. LOL

3up3down

Quote from: Hogskin on November 30, 2010, 11:21:31 am

You better hope I don't find out who you are and where you are

3up3down

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 29, 2010, 10:22:42 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on November 18, 2010, 04:24:25 pm
Quote from: 3up3down on November 18, 2010, 04:19:06 pm
Kyle Wyatt

Unless a JR that did not play this year steps in and takes the spot

I sure did not see anything out of the 9th grade group

Are we forgetting #6 Henderson? My opinion from watching some jv games and what I heard from other players was that he has better accuracy than DK but obviously not the running of DK (which he was one of a kind).  If it is Wyatt great but he better GROW big time cause he is a little tiny guy.

I was told #6 was not playing next year is this correct?
My bad, I heard they were not going to put him at QB

I have heard nothing said at my house

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas