• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Making basketball AND football successful in small schools

Started by no mascot, March 16, 2012, 09:32:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

no mascot

I have seen some schools that are so football heavy that every other sport is choked to nothing (Nashville for example). Their junior high basketball teams are successful and their senior high teams aren't. This can be attributed to the lack of time developing skill that it takes to compete in the game. This isn't the only school it is just one that quickly came to mind.

My question is this. What does it take to have success in both sports? what do the Charleston's of the world do that are so much different?

Oh and please don't say "they have better athletes" I know that must be a factor but there has to be more to it than that.

Iknewthemwhen

Balance in theimportance placed on the programs by admin and community members.  Some places just play one sport and then wait for it to come around again by passing the time playing others.   It has to be important and the kids need to feel the importance of it.

Yell County Fan

This is a very good question. Just here in Yell County we have had teams that range from both ends of the spectrum. Plainview and Fourche Valley, before they consolidated, were basketball only schools, Western Yell County was basketball only until about 8 years ago and has struggled trying to field a football team since while at the same time watching their basketball program sink, Danville has had very good tradition in Footbal for quite a while and in recent years built a very good basketball program.

So what does it take to go from being Western Yell to getting to Danville status (outside of a better school population)? I believe that, as previously stated, it starts with parents and administrators. Fundamentals, and enjoyment, and focus on particular sports starts way before students begin playing 7th grade athletics. If kids are trained to have expectations of success and dedication then that is more than likely what will result. And if all of that is directed towards one sport then that one sport will be the one that benefits the most. If students play multiple sports, they will surely take some of that competitiveness and fire with them, but just like anything  if it is not your passion then you won't ever be AS successful as you are in the other sport.

So,it will go beyond coaching and facilities and resources to the basics of home and school/community focus.

loyal fan

Don't buy into small schools can't be good at both.  Magnet Cove, Mineral Springs, Junction City, Strong, Prescott,  etc.....  Reason they win?  They share athletes and all the Coaches are on the same page. 

Yell County Fan

Definitely. Small schools, without a doubt, can be successful. And it does have to be a collective effort.

Iknewthemwhen

The mindset of dedication, discipline and commitment is so key.  So many programs have kids that think any reason to miss practice is a good reason and so many momma's and daddy's support that attitude.  You can't build success without true commitment by the kids that play.

wonderboys

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on March 28, 2012, 09:14:09 pm
The mindset of dedication, discipline and commitment is so key.  So many programs have kids that think any reason to miss practice is a good reason and so many momma's and daddy's support that attitude.  You can't build success without true commitment by the kids that play.

Amen to this!

powerbomb

coming from a small school that primarily plays basketball, i can say that having a good peewee program is one of the best ways to be successful at the high school level. i'm sure that having a good peewee football program would yield the same results at the high school level. if you look at the programs at sacred heart and wonderview, you will see two schools with very good peewee programs. Since 2006, those two schools combined have had 4 state titles and 2 state runner up teams. i personally believe it is because the kids are introduced to sports at a young age and taught the necessary fundamentals. yes, these schools are primarily basketball schools but the results of good peewee programs speak volumes.

Iknewthemwhen

Talent, talent, talent.  Want to know why schools win consistantly,  talent, talent, talent.   It is the number 1 determinant to winning.   Without it, no level of dedication, discipline, or committement is going to win for you.  With talent you still are going to needs those other 3 elements to win against the other good talented teams.

no mascot

Are you saying that these schools just have students roll through year after year who know how to play both basketball and football? I have a hard time with that one. I'm not talking about pure athletic talent, I'm talking about having the discipline, fundamentals, and intensity both on the field and the court to be successful.

Iknewthemwhen

I'm saying you have a talent pool to work with.  If you didn't you wouldn't win squat.  Nobody wins unless they have some talent to work with.  I'm not saying hardwork and all the rest isn't needed by those kids to excel, but most of us have seen teams win with bad coaching and little effort by the athletes if they are talented enough.  It carries them a little ways until they meet talent and hard workers.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Yell County Fan on March 28, 2012, 09:16:31 am
This is a very good question. Just here in Yell County we have had teams that range from both ends of the spectrum. Plainview and Fourche Valley, before they consolidated, were basketball only schools, Western Yell County was basketball only until about 8 years ago and has struggled trying to field a football team since while at the same time watching their basketball program sink, Danville has had very good tradition in Footbal for quite a while and in recent years built a very good basketball program.

So what does it take to go from being Western Yell to getting to Danville status (outside of a better school population)? I believe that, as previously stated, it starts with parents and administrators. Fundamentals, and enjoyment, and focus on particular sports starts way before students begin playing 7th grade athletics. If kids are trained to have expectations of success and dedication then that is more than likely what will result. And if all of that is directed towards one sport then that one sport will be the one that benefits the most. If students play multiple sports, they will surely take some of that competitiveness and fire with them, but just like anything  if it is not your passion then you won't ever be AS successful as you are in the other sport.

So,it will go beyond coaching and facilities and resources to the basics of home and school/community focus.

Um...Danville has a deeper talent pool to work with to...WYC might have 1-2 kids that would play for Danville most years in Football or Basketball. And if they get the rare star that has the talent start for Danville...well the kid moves to Danville, or transfers anyway, it's happened before...

Lions84

It Crazy Clarendon been hot in Basketball but had only 2 winning seasons in the past 15-20 years in Football. 

WPWells

This thread was from four years ago...why did you bump it?

ballmember

small school basketball is successful where those kids parents were involved in basketball/sports and they support their kids activities.  peewee programs are great , however you see so many jr high teams win and then when they reach high school not successful , due to  one main reason how good the high school coach is in the small school.   Other small schools successful when they readily accept transfers in, we could name some class a schools that get a lot of transfers.   

WHITEchicken

talent is big. As far as having good junior high teams that dont contend when they become sr high players it could be because of the fact the kids dont grow. height means a lot in basketball. coaching, talent, attitude, work ethic, and all of these things factor in. To say which one is the most important I cant say. I can say that if you have a program and you protect it by demanding the best and everyone expects to win then you are going to have success year in and year out. you might have some down years where you lose in the first round of the playoffs in football but bounce back the following year. having a coach that says around is also important.

Lions84

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 21, 2016, 09:18:02 am
This thread was from four years ago...why did you bump it?

Cause it still relevant.  We won District titles in Football , Basketball and Track in from 1979-1989 at Clarendon then the wheels started falling off and we would be good in one and horrible in the other 2. 

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on March 28, 2012, 09:14:09 pm
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on March 31, 2012, 09:20:24 pm
Talent, talent, talent.  Want to know why schools win consistantly,  talent, talent, talent.   It is the number 1 determinant to winning.   Without it, no level of dedication, discipline, or committement is going to win for you.  With talent you still are going to needs those other 3 elements to win against the other good talented teams.
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on April 01, 2012, 05:32:39 pm
I'm saying you have a talent pool to work with.  If you didn't you wouldn't win squat.  Nobody wins unless they have some talent to work with.  I'm not saying hardwork and all the rest isn't needed by those kids to excel, but most of us have seen teams win with bad coaching and little effort by the athletes if they are talented enough.  It carries them a little ways until they meet talent and hard workers.
It was true 4 years ago and it is still true.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard.- Kevin Durant

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas