• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Huntsville Maroon/White Game

Started by leaglebb, November 06, 2014, 11:54:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

leaglebb

Is anyone going to the Huntsville Maroon/White game Saturday night?  I'm going to try and get there from the deer woods and will give a report on the Sr. Girls & Boys after the game.  I know the girls have 5 players 5'11"+ that can play ball, but have heard about some knee injuries, so I'm anxious to see them first hand and assess what they have.  Boys should be very good this year also.

leaglebb

Here's a report from this game.

Girls - Huntsville girls still look like a 5A team, and if they were still in the 5A west, an argument could be made they would be ranked #1 in preseason.  They have 7 seniors who can play.  The are extremely athletic, and tall.  Their front line probably goes 5'11,5'11, 5'11 and they have a 6'2 jr. post who seems to have improved a lot offensively since last year.  They also have very solid guards who can shoot the ball and the shortest player there is probably 5'6.  They scored inside and outside with great balance and drained 7-8 3 pointers in the game.  This team is very deep and the younger players also played well and are skilled.  They should be ranked high in the state polls when they come out.  The McCartney girl is legit and will be a force to be reckoned with in all their games.  She is probably 5'11 and can play all five spots.  She brought the ball up the court several times like a guard, shoots the three, rebounds, creates her own shot off the dribble, and is intimidating on defense.  She will be a match-up nightmare for opposing coaches.  If she plays like she did tonight, she probably will have the opportunity to play college ball imo.  Very good player.

There were some girls out during the summer with ACL injuries/surgeries but I could not detect any ill effect from these injuries as these girls played well full speed the entire game.

Bottom line is, this team looks to be very good and should make a run at the end and has the talent to win it all.

Boys - Are also going to be solid.  They look better suited for 4A ball than they did in 5A.  They have a lot of size in the 6'2 to 6'4 range, have a couple of real quick guards who can pass well and shoot the ball, but don't have one player that just stands out above the others.  Unlike the girls team, I think depth off the bench could be an issue if they get into too much foul trouble, but it was hard to tell from tonight's intrasquad game.  The competition level in the 5A west was good for the skill development of these players and the team should compete for the title in the 4A-1.

That's a wrap for tonight.  I'd enjoy hearing others thoughts/comments who were at the game also, or any others as well.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 08, 2014, 10:56:54 pm #2 Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:04:13 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Sounds Impressive , I came away with a lot of the same thoughts after watching our girls.  good luck on the season!

leaglebb

November 09, 2014, 12:11:39 am #3 Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:06:43 pm by leaglebb
Key Pre-season matchups to watch on the schedule:

Nov 15 @ 6A Siloam Springs - they also have 7 seniors and have historically been a winning program year in and year out.  This will be the first game of the year, so should be a good contest between two good teams.
Nov 25 Ozark @ Huntsville - don't know what they have this year, but again a solid program.  Last year Huntsville led in the 4th qtr by 10 pts and Ozark came back and won the game at the buzzer.  Ozark is being picked by some to win their conference so this will be a match-up of likely two #1's in their respective conferences.
Dec 9 @ 5A Farmington - Huntsville won at home last year by about 10 pts.  This game is a rivalry game between these two programs and they are usually very close and physical.  This will be a barometer game for both programs early to see where they are.  I've read where they're moving to a new gym so this will be the last time to play in the old gym so there's a lot of history and nostalgia with this game. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas