• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recipe for trouble

Started by doggieskoot2, January 14, 2016, 12:25:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

doggieskoot2

1.  Have a coach that leaves at the last second before a season starts
2.  Put an incredibly popular long standing successful guy in place, that the players and community loves,  with no plan to keep at end of the year. 
3.  Have numbers on the team dramatically increase.
4.  Have that coach run the offense that the community has been longing for, and have some success especially early, and make the playoffs.
5.  Immediately open the job after the first round of the playoffs and then close it before the playoffs are over.  Mostly eliminating the pool of coaches that are actually still playing in the playoffs.
6.  Drag the hire out giving the community time to pick sides and rally support for the (interim), who as stated before is very respected and successful in his career.
7.  Hire someone completely out of left field, that in rumor runs the offense that the school was trying to get away from.  (Might be a great hire, who knows)

Might be the best hire in the history of hires, but has all the making of a big pot of stew that smells like trouble.   Best of luck from Doggie country.

purpleswag

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on January 14, 2016, 12:25:48 pm
1.  Have a coach that leaves at the last second before a season starts
2.  Put an incredibly popular long standing successful guy in place, that the players and community loves,  with no plan to keep at end of the year. 
3.  Have numbers on the team dramatically increase.
4.  Have that coach run the offense that the community has been longing for, and have some success especially early, and make the playoffs.
5.  Immediately open the job after the first round of the playoffs and then close it before the playoffs are over.  Mostly eliminating the pool of coaches that are actually still playing in the playoffs.
6.  Drag the hire out giving the community time to pick sides and rally support for the (interim), who as stated before is very respected and successful in his career.
7.  Hire someone completely out of left field, that in rumor runs the offense that the school was trying to get away from.  (Might be a great hire, who knows)

Might be the best hire in the history of hires, but has all the making of a big pot of stew that smells like trouble.   Best of luck from Doggie country.

He doesn't run the double wing offense. As far as everything else idk but I read the article and it looks like he has a lot of experience.

windbox

Sounds like Doggedly hit the NAIL on the head!!!!

the voice

I would say give the guy a chance, when Morrilton made last hire there was much uproar over it, everyone had their favorite , myself included, I had heard great things about our coach and he has done that and more. Very happy to have him , could be it turns out the same way for you guys.

beach bum

January 14, 2016, 05:30:53 pm #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 05:37:54 pm by beach bum
A recipe for trouble is when a community is constantly complaining about everything it seems when they really don't have much tradition in the last 20 years to begin with..... quit crying people. Its all over this site these days. Take it one step at a time and get better slowly but surely. If your school's norm is to go 5-5 then start trying to make the norm 6-4 or 7-3 and then start doing that. Then move onto 8-2 or 9-1. Then onto trying to win every game on your schedule. Everybody wants a quick fix these days....... I don't want a quick fix. I want something that will last for a decade or two.

sevenof400

Hiring a 63 year old coach is mystifying.  The board just guaranteed they will be doing another search within a very short timeframe.

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 14, 2016, 08:34:40 pm
Hiring a 63 year old coach is mystifying.  The board just guaranteed they will be doing another search within a very short timeframe.

It depends on the 63 year old. In today's United States there are 63 year olds in better shape and health than most all 40 year olds if that particular 63 year old took his health seriously their whole life.

OlGuyWicker

If you wanting drama, that is what you may get.  I hope the players do not read this board and choose to approach the new coach with the same defiance displayed above.  Players need to believe in what they are doing for it to have a chance to work.   From the article the coach seems have a lot of experiences to draw from.  It looks to me as if it could be a good hire.  It is not like he was fired from his last job for breaking rules.  That could have been a recipe for disaster. 

Pat Swilling

Quote from: beach bum on January 14, 2016, 05:30:53 pm
A recipe for trouble is when a community is constantly complaining about everything it seems when they really don't have much tradition in the last 20 years to begin with..... quit crying people. Its all over this site these days. Take it one step at a time and get better slowly but surely. If your school's norm is to go 5-5 then start trying to make the norm 6-4 or 7-3 and then start doing that. Then move onto 8-2 or 9-1. Then onto trying to win every game on your schedule. Everybody wants a quick fix these days....... I don't want a quick fix. I want something that will last for a decade or two.

Heck yea!  Great post

beach bum

Quote from: OlGuyWicker on January 14, 2016, 11:15:06 pm
If you wanting drama, that is what you may get.  I hope the players do not read this board and choose to approach the new coach with the same defiance displayed above.  Players need to believe in what they are doing for it to have a chance to work.   From the article the coach seems have a lot of experiences to draw from.  It looks to me as if it could be a good hire.  It is not like he was fired from his last job for breaking rules.  That could have been a recipe for disaster.

+1

WPWells

This post is why you're one of my favorite posters

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: beach bum on January 14, 2016, 09:05:00 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on January 14, 2016, 08:34:40 pm

It depends on the 63 year old. In today's United States there are 63 year olds in better shape and health than most all 40 year olds if that particular 63 year old took his health seriously their whole life.

Red Parker coached effectively way past his early 60's

Lionheart88

Red was a pretty unusual guy.  Most people retire in their 60s.

sevenof400

Maynard (et. al.),

My concern here revolves around a 63 year old coach coming into a program in the early stages of a long needed change.  Call me crazy, but such changes usually take a good bit of time (a few years minimum) and requires the coach to be the agent of change from the pee wee ranks all the way through the varsity level.

As you note, there are coaches who exceed into their 60's but it is rare and I dare say most coaches capable of the change needed here are not changing jobs this late in their careers (i.e. getting such a later start on the change).  If he does reform the program. he will really be bucking some long odds.   

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 15, 2016, 06:38:42 pm
Maynard (et. al.),

My concern here revolves around a 63 year old coach coming into a program in the early stages of a long needed change.  Call me crazy, but such changes usually take a good bit of time (a few years minimum) and requires the coach to be the agent of change from the pee wee ranks all the way through the varsity level.

As you note, there are coaches who exceed into their 60's but it is rare and I dare say most coaches capable of the change needed here are not changing jobs this late in their careers (i.e. getting such a later start on the change).  If he does reform the program. he will really be bucking some long odds.

I understand the concern.

GotInfo?

Had several coaches tell me that they were VERY surprised by the early closing.  Most had no clue that it had been closed cause they were interested in applying. 

As for the coach they did hire.  The few guys that knew him, said he is a good coach and to give him a chance.  I can understand the concern over his age, but you never know.  He deserves a chance.

Okieback

Exactly, too many townspeople and administration think hs sports is college or pro , and that changing looking for the quick fix is he answer. If u always are changing and u go 5-5 all the time, think how good a team could be if the school would just stick by a guy for 4-5 years and let them build.
I think it says a lot about a team if they always are getting new head coaches and changing and having to learn a new scheme if they can go 5-5 or 6-4 every year.
If the quick fix doesn't work, then it probably is the administration that is actually holding the team and coaches back.

Chief_Osceola™

Absolutely.  Look at Bill Snyder at K-State.  He's gotta be pushing 90 and still has some success.

doggieskoot2

I called this.  Just saying.

Overdahill

[/quote

+1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas