• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the pros/cons of a Private School League in AR?

Started by Chin Music, December 09, 2015, 09:15:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

I understand the advantages of private schools and I've admitted that they exist.

But, how do you explain the success of schools like PB, GW, JC , Warren and Nashville?

PB probably has as many or more state championships as any team in the state.  Why can they do it and other public schools can't?

the voice

December 14, 2015, 10:46:02 pm #51 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 11:08:07 pm by the voice
Those schools , the smaller ones have athletes who's family members have contributed to that success for years and years. They may win more often than not but look at their scores.

PB has athletes, large population with lots of players.  Even they have down years of struggles. GW benefitted from location and a community that wanted successful football. They hired the right guy who took them even higher. The school grew fast in a hurry.
Nashville like other areas have had athletes, look at ashdown also. There are those areas that have traditionally been powers, you've named a few. Junction city, rivercrest have long been powers. Carlisle and Barton  were powers in lower classes for a time.

The coach has an impact also no doubt. But great coaches can't go where the players aren't and win.  So the contributing factor and common thread is athletes. There are many factors I'm sure I left off but the good news is I'm sure some will point them out

Fullbacktrap75

In regard to many public schools in Arkansas who have very strong programs it is usually viewed as more of a tradition thing. Most schools like JC have generations of family members who are stud athletes graduate have kids that live in that town, and live there forever in that small town. Pretty much how most of the state was up until mid 90's. ( those were great times)  Once again more of a district line thing to me. If you have these kids who live within these lines and win nothing to be said. even though seems like a lot of hermitage kids end up at warren lol had family from around that area and remember watching hermitage play had a few good athletes on that team and went back next year they were at warren lol

Lionheart88

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 10:12:48 pm
District lines are only way to do this certain areas of little rock would have to be available to a private school and that's it, which the private schools would never go for.
Why?  No having to live any certain place is one of the major draws for private school.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 11:43:45 pm
In regard to many public schools in Arkansas who have very strong programs it is usually viewed as more of a tradition thing. Most schools like JC have generations of family members who are stud athletes graduate have kids that live in that town, and live there forever in that small town. Pretty much how most of the state was up until mid 90's. ( those were great times)  Once again more of a district line thing to me. If you have these kids who live within these lines and win nothing to be said. even though seems like a lot of hermitage kids end up at warren lol had family from around that area and remember watching hermitage play had a few good athletes on that team and went back next year they were at warren lol
True. Even Paragould used to be strong back in the 70's and early 80's.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 10:46:02 pm
Those schools , the smaller ones have athletes who's family members have contributed to that success for years and years. They may win more often than not but look at their scores.

PB has athletes, large population with lots of players.  Even they have down years of struggles. GW benefitted from location and a community that wanted successful football. They hired the right guy who took them even higher. The school grew fast in a hurry.
Nashville like other areas have had athletes, look at ashdown also. There are those areas that have traditionally been powers, you've named a few. Junction city, rivercrest have long been powers. Carlisle and Barton  were powers in lower classes for a time.

The coach has an impact also no doubt. But great coaches can't go where the players aren't and win.  So the contributing factor and common thread is athletes. There are many factors I'm sure I left off but the good news is I'm sure some will point them out

Are you saying PB has more and better athletes than Little Rock or West Memphis or Batesville?  I don't buy that.  I don't think there's something in the water at PB that produces better athletes.

I guess my point is that public schools, at least some of them, can compete with private schools.  The schools we have listed prove it.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 17, 2015, 02:43:08 pm
Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 10:46:02 pm

Are you saying PB has more and better athletes than Little Rock or West Memphis or Batesville?  I don't buy that.  I don't think there's something in the water at PB that produces better athletes.

I guess my point is that public schools, at least some of them, can compete with private schools.  The schools we have listed prove it.

This isn't even a debate lol. Batesville is never loaded with athletes, but they get the most out of them.

the voice

I wasn't saying anyone had more in particular, in public schools in goes in spurts , that was my point. They have to build with what is there. Developing and coaching the best they can. The schools mentioned were brought up by another poster. But even those have down years.

incogneto

If private schools were to ever be kicked out of the AAA it would be game on for recruiting.  There would be wailing and knashing of teeth. 

incogneto

Quote from: incogneto on February 19, 2016, 05:51:45 pm
If private schools were to ever be kicked out of the AAA it would be game on for recruiting.  There would be wailing and knashing of teeth like none has ever heard of before.

Missco

TN has a separate playoff for private schools. They don't have very many either. It really hasn't changed the way private schools recruit. Privates have an advantage but their biggest advantage is parental involvement.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Missco on February 20, 2016, 02:53:08 am
TN has a separate playoff for private schools. They don't have very many either. It really hasn't changed the way private schools recruit. Privates have an advantage but their biggest advantage is parental involvement.

I'm not sure where you get "they don't have very many either".  According to TSSAA.org school directory there are 25 private schools in Division I, 20 in Division II Class A, and 11 in Division II Class AA.  That is roughly 45 more private schools than Arkansas has playing across all classifications.

GuvHog

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on April 12, 2016, 03:17:17 pm
I'm not sure where you get "they don't have very many either".  According to TSSAA.org school directory there are 25 private schools in Division I, 20 in Division II Class A, and 11 in Division II Class AA.  That is roughly 45 more private schools than Arkansas has playing across all classifications.

There are also some Arkansas private schools that are playing in other states conferences too. Both Lee Academy (Marianna) and Desoto Academy (Helena) play in Mississippi conferences. There are probably more.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas