• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are the pros/cons of a Private School League in AR?

Started by Chin Music, December 09, 2015, 09:15:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chin Music

Every year I hear people say that the private schools just need their own league like they have in other states.  There is no doubt that private schools have some advantages to fielding competitive teams.  Shiloh was the despised team.  Now its PA.  LRCA may not be that far behind.  Its a touchy subject but I would like to hear some opinions.

Lionheart88

There probably aren't enough of them with any parity.  The top 8 are Catholic, LRCA, PA, Subiaco, Shiloh, CAC, Baptist, Episcopal.  There's such a huge range of size and talent just in that group, not to mention the geographic spread, that it probably wouldn't work.    Unfortunately.  It gets worse if you have the smaller ones in there with them.

airitout

Quote from: Chin Music on December 09, 2015, 09:15:15 am
Every year I hear people say that the private schools just need their own league like they have in other states.  There is no doubt that private schools have some advantages to fielding competitive teams.  Shiloh was the despised team.  Now its PA.  LRCA may not be that far behind.  Its a touchy subject but I would like to hear some opinions.

Why is it a touchy subject?  Why do people want them to have their own league?  is the playing field not equal for both public and private schools, or do private schools have some sort of advantage? 

the voice

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 09, 2015, 09:34:13 am
There probably aren't enough of them with any parity.  The top 8 are Catholic, LRCA, PA, Subiaco, Shiloh, CAC, Baptist, Episcopal.  There's such a huge range of size and talent just in that group, not to mention the geographic spread, that it probably wouldn't work.    Unfortunately.  It gets worse if you have the smaller ones in there with them.
Other than the occasional Catholic year, PA would dominate that.

Lions84

froglips

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 09, 2015, 09:52:13 am
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 09, 2015, 09:34:13 am
Other than the occasional Catholic year, PA would dominate that.
Which is very similar to what they do to Class 5A now.

Chief_Osceola™

Would the private schools still be under AAA jurisdiction?  See, people think they want this to happen, but if private schools split away from the AAA, then they would be able to recruit kids with zero consequences.

I have no problem with private schools playing against public schools.  I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I would say the percentage of state championships won by private schools is probably in line with the percentage of private schools in the state.  I'd even go further and say the percentage of state championships won is lower.

paraloma

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 09, 2015, 01:38:41 pm
Would the private schools still be under AAA jurisdiction?  See, people think they want this to happen, but if private schools split away from the AAA, then they would be able to recruit kids with zero consequences.

I have no problem with private schools playing against public schools.  I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I would say the percentage of state championships won by private schools is probably in line with the percentage of private schools in the state.  I'd even go further and say the percentage of state championships won is lower.

You should only consider classifications where private schools participate.

Red Devil Alum

December 09, 2015, 02:11:15 pm #9 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 02:15:57 pm by Red Devil Alum
Quote from: paraloma on December 09, 2015, 02:04:56 pm

You should only consider classifications where private schools participate.
There's one at 7A (Catholic/MSM)
Several at 5A
Several at 4A
Two in 3A
One in 2A.

So 6A is the only classification without a private school.  Thus far, one private school has won and one other is playing for a championship. So the winning percentage of state titles this year will either be 16.7 or 33%.

Chief_Osceola™

^ Just to be clear I was referring to all sports, not just football.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 09, 2015, 02:19:18 pm
^ Just to be clear I was referring to all sports, not just football.
Fair enough. Basketball is usually public, baseball is a mixture, soccer is mostly private.

paraloma

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 09, 2015, 02:11:15 pm
Several at 5A
Several at 4A
Two in 3A
One in 2A.

So 6A is the only classification without a private school.  Thus far, one private school has won and one other is playing for a championship. So the winning percentage of state titles this year will either be 16.7 or 33%.

Numbers are your friend, if you use them right.  ;)

Since 1998, there has been a private school state champion in football 76% of the time.

2015 - PA
2014 – Bentonville, Pine Bluff, Pulaski Academy, Warren, Charleston, Junction City
2013 – Bentonville, El Dorado, Morrilton, Booneville, Charleston, Junction City
2012 – Fayetteville, Greenwood, Camden Fairview, Stuttgart, Harding Academy, Junction City
2011 – Fayetteville, El Dorado, Greenwood, Pulaski Academy, Charleston, Strong
2010 – Bentonville, El Dorado, Greenwood, Shiloh Christian, Rivercrest, Magazine
2009 – Springdale Har-Ber, El Dorado, Monticello, Shiloh Christian, Fountain Lake, Junction City
2008 – Bentonville, Lake Hamilton, Pulaski Academy, Shiloh Christian, Charleston, Junction City
2007 – Fayetteville, Texarkana, Greenwood, Nashville, Glen Rose, Mount Ida
2006 – FS Southside, Texarkana, Greenwood, Nashville, Shiloh Christian, Jessieville
2005 – Springdale, Greenwood, Nashville, Charleston
2004 – LR Central, Wynne, Central Arkansas Christian, Rison
2003 – LR Central, Batesville, Pulaski Academy, Junction City
2002 – FS Southside, Stuttgart, Warren, Harding Academy
2001 – Bentonville, Wynne, Warren, Shiloh Christian
2000 – Cabot, Greenwood, Booneville, Rison
1999 – FS Northside, Harrison, McGehee, Shiloh Christian
1998 – LR Fair, Alma, McGehee, Shiloh Christian

We won't include Nashville's three (2005-2007).  :-*

beach bum

Why is this even a discussion in a state of less than 3 million. This works in Florida, New Jersey, etc. but not in Arkansas.

HowNowBrownCow

If you go back 10 years the percentage in football rises to 80%. I believe it's 70% for 20 years. In baseball if you go back 20 years it's 60% and rises to 70% in the last 10 years. Something to be said there.

froglips

There are 260 football-playing teams in the AAA, 11 of which are privates.  That's about 4%.  Privates have won a much larger percentage of state championships in the past 15 years or so (so far this year, with PA's win, it's about 17%).  Factor in other sports, including individual sports like tennis, golf, etc, and the percentage of championships is way out of line in favor of the privates.

One more thing that is disturbing to public school fans outside of the LR area, is that some (if not all) of the privates won't play Jr. High sports in the same conference that they are assigned for High School sports.  Therefore, public schools that have privates in their conference, have to juggle Jr. High schedules, or just have open dates because the privates won't play them in Jr. High.  If the privates can have their own Jr. High league in LR, can't they do the same thing at the High School level?  I have heard that Jr. High is not governed by the AAA, therefore they can't be forced to play in their conference, but it's a snub to the public school teams in their conferences, and that's one more thing that doesn't sit well with them. 

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: paraloma on December 09, 2015, 02:41:17 pm
Several at 5A
Several at 4A
Two in 3A
One in 2A.

Since 1998, there has been a private school state champion in football 76% of the time.

2015 - PA
2014 – Bentonville, Pine Bluff, Pulaski Academy, Warren, Charleston, Junction City
2012 – Fayetteville, Greenwood, Camden Fairview, Stuttgart, Harding Academy, Junction City
2010 – Bentonville, El Dorado, Greenwood, Shiloh Christian, Rivercrest, Magazine
2009 – Springdale Har-Ber, El Dorado, Monticello, Shiloh Christian, Fountain Lake, Junction City
2008 – Bentonville, Lake Hamilton, Pulaski Academy, Shiloh Christian, Charleston, Junction City
2006 – FS Southside, Texarkana, Greenwood, Nashville, Shiloh Christian, Jessieville

76% is incredibly deceiving.  Of the 89 champions, 13 were private schools, or 15%. Never has there been a year with two private school champions.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: froglips on December 09, 2015, 02:50:40 pm
There are 260 football-playing teams in the AAA, 11 of which are privates.  That's about 4%.  Privates have won a much larger percentage of state championships in the past 15 years or so (so far this year, with PA's win, it's about 17%).  Factor in other sports, including individual sports like tennis, golf, etc, and the percentage of championships is way out of line in favor of the privates.

I'd love to see some numbers for this.  I don't think they win as proportionately in other sports as they do in football.  I know they don't in basketball and baseball.

QuoteOne more thing that is disturbing to public school fans outside of the LR area, is that some (if not all) of the privates won't play Jr. High sports in the same conference that they are assigned for High School sports.  Therefore, public schools that have privates in their conference, have to juggle Jr. High schedules, or just have open dates because the privates won't play them in Jr. High.  If the privates can have their own Jr. High league in LR, can't they do the same thing at the High School level?  I have heard that Jr. High is not governed by the AAA, therefore they can't be forced to play in their conference, but it's a snub to the public school teams in their conferences, and that's one more thing that doesn't sit well with them. 

That statement is incorrect.  Private schools don't have their own league in jr. high.  All the LR (Pulaski County) schools are that way, both private and public.  The River City conference consists of Maumelle, PA, Sylvan Hills, Sheridan, Jacksonville, White Hall, Watson Chapel, and Mills.  Robinson doesn't play in its high school conference. 

Chief_Osceola™

December 09, 2015, 03:05:52 pm #18 Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:07:40 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Several at 5A
Several at 4A
Two in 3A
One in 2A.

2015 - PA

That's a total of 13 out of 86, or about 15%.  And there are only 3 private schools highlighted on that list.  I could give some pretty good reasons why those 3 are the ones who have won, but I'll have to do it later.

*Edit - I missed CAC's one title.

froglips

That statement is incorrect.  Private schools don't have their own league in jr. high.  All the LR (Pulaski County) schools are that way, both private and public.  The River City conference consists of Maumelle, PA, Sylvan Hills, Sheridan, Jacksonville, White Hall, Watson Chapel, and Mills.  Robinson doesn't play in its high school conference.
[/quote]
I have been told that CAC and Arkansas Baptist Prep (for '16-'17) will not play in the 2-4A Conference in Jr. High because they play in a LR Jr. High league.  Pretty sure that's a fact.  Pretty sure that applies to all Jr. High sports.  And the original comment said that some, if not all, private Jr. High Schools ....

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: froglips on December 09, 2015, 03:13:04 pm
I have been told that CAC and Arkansas Baptist Prep (for '16-'17) will not play in the 2-4A Conference in Jr. High because they play in a LR Jr. High league.  Pretty sure that's a fact.  Pretty sure that applies to all Jr. High sports.  And the original comment said that most, if not all, private Jr. High Schools ....

It is a fact.  My point was that it's not limited to only private schools.  Most, if not all, public schools in Little Rock/Pulaski County also do not play in their high school conferences.

HowNowBrownCow

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on December 09, 2015, 03:16:08 pm
Football, 2008 both PA and Shiloh win in Football.
Good catch, I didn't get it because it wasn't red.

Make it 14 out of 89, 16%.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: beach bum on December 09, 2015, 02:43:00 pm
Why is this even a discussion in a state of less than 3 million. This works in Florida, New Jersey, etc. but not in Arkansas.

Because Nashville, that's why.  :)

HowNowBrownCow

Quote from: beach bum on December 09, 2015, 02:43:00 pm

Because in this state we go with Ricky Bobby's dad.... If you're not first then you're last.

Lionheart88

Speaking of other sports, private schools have won 31% of all soccer state titles ever awarded in Arkansas (the state has offered soccer since 1998).  That's a bit deceptive because not all schools have soccer, but the private schools still make up much less than 31% (10% this year).  Until 2014, no public school had ever won the 4A Girls Title, and only Harrison has ever beat out the private schools for a 5A Girls Title.  6A, which has no private schools, is the only division that has never been won by a private school.

the voice

Just my opinion, the private schools get the better benefit of playing sports under the AAA, in some things they have a disadvantage because of smaller numbers.  The multiplier was supposed to even things out. For some it does others it may hurt. In my opinion the ones in larger towns have an advantage over public schools, in little rock for example, where do a lot of former college athletes send their kids to school? Dad was a player, mom was an athlete, child most likely will be also. You take sometimes one of those , much less three or more on one team you have a distinct advantage. There's really no argument there , it's a free country, they can go there. I'm simply saying what's the odds of a offspring of former athletes going to a public school when there's a school like PA right there ?I remember Keith Jackson Jr. went to a public school, aside from that none come to mind. I'm sure there are some. Point is if you start out with more genetically gifted players they are going to be better than the average. You look around at some public schools who are successful year after year and you'll find generations of players more often than not who contributed to the success. Are all players at PA like this no , there are players who probably start at positions that wouldn't on another team in their conference, they arent all above average players , but you add a D1 player to most teams in high school in Arkansas and they are much improved regardless of position. You add three college caliber players to a team and they are better than most. I've rambled on here enough and maybe bounced around to try make this point , year in and year out who has the better chance of having D1 or college caliber players on their team ? It's something to think about , I feel pretty confident of all the schools there , the private schools have a higher percentage of those players year in and year out. So they better and playing with a stacked deck maybe ? Could be why they are winning so easily, maybe PA should petition up to play larger schools,

With this I see no plus to public schools playing private schools other than distance traveled, the plus is to them letting them compete in the same as public school while having the advantage of being governed by a private school charter. As for the school enrollment, my question is how many do they have on the football team ? 40,50,60?

MDXPHD

Personally, I don't think they should be in their own league. I think they should have their own playoff bracket, but during the season, it would make more sense for them to play in the conferences they already do.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 09, 2015, 02:53:13 pm
Several at 5A
Several at 4A
Two in 3A
One in 2A.

2015 - PA

76% is incredibly deceiving.  Of the 89 champions, 13 were private schools, or 15%. Never has there been a year with two private school champions.

This year may very well change that. Harding looks like they may win this weekend.

Another thing that is deceiving is that in a couple of those years in 4A, PA and Shiloh eliminated each other.

the voice

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 07:57:46 pm
Personally, I don't think they should be in their own league. I think they should have their own playoff bracket, but during the season, it would make more sense for them to play in the conferences they already do.

I could agree to that. Although I don't know that'll change

Bayou Bully

Have not checked numbers lately, but I know in 2009 there were 128 state champions and 26 of those were private. Private schools made up 8% of all schools in AAA but won over 25% of the trophies.
Also the private schools need the AAA otherwise they would have a hard time to play full schedules... If they could move away from the rules of the AAA they would have already

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Bayou Bully on December 09, 2015, 09:03:56 pm

Have not checked numbers lately, but I know in 2009 there were 128 state champions and 26 of those were private. Private schools made up 8% of all schools in AAA but won over 25% of the trophies.
Also the private schools need the AAA otherwise they would have a hard time to play full schedules... If they could move away from the rules of the AAA they would have already

Does that number follow a general trend, or is 2009 an outlier? I seriously have no idea and am just curious. If I'm totally off on the percentages, then I'll gladly admit so. After giving it more thought though, I can see private schools winning a higher percentage, based on a number of different factors, none of which involve the 'r' word.

Danold Dump

Who cares. So what they have had some success.  Now people want to talk about their own league.  That would be a joke.  Whatever happened to tough guys who wanted to go hit people in the mouth and try to be the best no matter who was in their classification.  That's how the world is now I guess.....Dump out

the voice

The same could be said in reverse toward the private schools. Similar skill play similar skill. Level the field , if they are that good what's the problem? For a change they'd have a game like most public schools have every week where each play matters and one goof could cost you the game? No mercy ruled rest the second half. I mean those one sided games aren't fun for anyone. Point is if they handle those teams , that's who they should play. If they are truly that much better as many brag about on here , if in fact they are that much better than the rest of 5a , it's like Kramer bragging about his karate skills only to find out it was against kids.

paraloma

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 09, 2015, 03:18:26 pm

Private schools were not eligible in ALL 89 championships.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: paraloma on December 10, 2015, 01:35:19 pm

Private schools were not eligible in ALL 89 championships.
What does that mean? Meaning no 6A private school teams?  If so, it goes to 14 out of 73, or 19%

paraloma

December 10, 2015, 04:43:20 pm #36 Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:11:55 pm by paraloma
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 10, 2015, 03:36:14 pm
Quote from: paraloma on December 10, 2015, 01:35:19 pm

What does that mean? Meaning no 6A private school teams?  If so, it goes to 14 out of 73, or 19%

That's just this year. There has not always been a private school in every classification, has there? I'm not sure that there has been.

Grond

Some good comments, gentlemen.  ;)

I really don't know. In the 5A East, we have no private schools, but Batesville & Wynne pretty much win the conference every year anyway (in football). There is a lesson here:

GETTING RID OF THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS DOESN'T NECESSARILY GIVE YOUR CONFERENCE(S) PARITY.   :o

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Grond on December 10, 2015, 08:15:50 pm

I really don't know. In the 5A East, we have no private schools, but Batesville & Wynne pretty much win the conference every year anyway (in football). There is a lesson here:

GETTING RID OF THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS DOESN'T NECESSARILY GIVE YOUR CONFERENCE(S) PARITY.   :o

You need to delete this post before a Valley View poster reads it - they thInk they're kids attend a private school that offers free tuition.  Telling them the truth would be like telling young MDX... that there is no Santa Claus :o

Grond

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 10, 2015, 08:24:30 pm
Quote from: Grond on December 10, 2015, 08:15:50 pm

You need to delete this post before a Valley View poster reads it - they thInk they're kids attend a private school that offers free tuition.  Telling them the truth would be like telling young MDX... that there is no Santa Claus :o

+1.    Well played, sir.   :D

airitout

Can someone explain to me HOW private schools have an advantage over public schools?

MDXPHD

Quote from: airitout on December 11, 2015, 10:12:47 am
Can someone explain to me HOW private schools have an advantage over public schools?

Oh no..not this again. 

Here, I'll sum it up to prevent us from having a huge thread on this:

Private school fans- we don't have an advantage. there is school choice. (hahaha)

Public school fans- they have multiple advantages ranging from money to recruiting (although we all KNOW it doesn't happen in the public schools).

Let's not really get into it though. The thread would get locked quickly because people would talk all sorts of non sense.

airitout

but the thread is about making a special league?  what would be the need for that unless the private schools are getting some type of advantage...so, this thread is about that

MDXPHD

Quote from: airitout on December 11, 2015, 12:05:45 pm
but the thread is about making a special league?  what would be the need for that unless the private schools are getting some type of advantage...so, this thread is about that

Okay, but we have been through it before. You're in for a ride!

mijally

Maumelle soccer does a great job of recruiting players. It's called "Foreign Exchange Program". Lol

Fullbacktrap75

Private School Pros

-Better education

-Funding ( if you have a board of some type with nothing but doctors lawyers on it  you got deep pockets)

-parental involvement

- There is definetly a selective process going on regardless of the typical we have high standards to get in statement. I posted how they do that on PA schedule topic.

- highly populated area with no district lines

All that being said I went to public schools all my life but sent my kids to a private school in another state. Most states have went to seperate leagues for private and public for the reasons I listed above. Arkansas doesn't have enough to make it competitive for the private schools and will fight tooth and nail to stay in. Louisianna's private schools finally got seperated by public schools creating another governing body that wasn't full of private school supporters. I don't know how AAA is not sure if they have many Private school supporters or not.

RzrbckFan

My kids go to private schools.  I don't think the smaller classifications have quite the advantages of the larger ones, however parental involvement is an advantage at any level.  I must admit that I often pull for the public schools over private.  Unless the public school is Nashville.  :)

Fullbacktrap75

There are always a few smaller private schools that don't have the same pull as the bigger ones. I don't even like the multiplier because the numbers really mean nothing. Most states have tried that to take some heat away but I predict public schools will eventually win a vote in the years to come and deep pockets of private will threaten to sue and AAA will back off If the administration is pro private anyway. That exact reason is how a seperate governing body was created in louisianna.

the voice

There is a huge difference in the schools no doubt. Conway Christian is one example of a small private school that is competive in its conference but not dominate in classification. Subiaco struggles with pretty much new players every year I'm told. I don't know that there is a cut and dry way to place them in position to be competitive without rewarding or punishing them. Example if they move up to highest class and get dominated, where they really out classed or a down year ? Most schools go through cycles of down years. It's an interesting debate. I certainly don't have the answer for it but I do think there can be some changes made to improve the situation.

Fullbacktrap75

District lines are only way to do this certain areas of little rock would have to be available to a private school and that's it, which the private schools would never go for.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas