• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powerhouse Elkins Move to 4A

Started by bigfootelk14, December 14, 2017, 12:52:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfootelk14

Thoughts on Elkins move to the 4A conference & Projected Record for 2018

Jimbo Morphis

ea cat

beach bum

Elkins is lucky they get to play in the 4-4A .... Had they been in the 1-4A this season they would have been pummeled 4 times in conference play. If Elkins has good upperclassmen they will do ok the next 2 years in the 4-4A. Then they'll get whooped the first time they play any 4A powerhouse or 4A team with any tradition in the playoffs. There is a reason Elkins did not even appeal and try to get in the 1-4A. Longer road trips equals easier conference.

Gray lizard

Quote from: beach bum on December 14, 2017, 09:17:57 am
Elkins is lucky they get to play in the 4-4A .... Had they been in the 1-4A this season they would have been pummeled 4 times in conference play. If Elkins has good upperclassmen they will do ok the next 2 years in the 4-4A. Then they'll get whooped the first time they play any 4A powerhouse or 4A team with any tradition in the playoffs. There is a reason Elkins did not even appeal and try to get in the 1-4A. Longer road trips equals easier conference.

If the 1-4A is so strong why did they have 3 out of 5 team losses in the opening round of the playoffs.  Just like most of the others in the 4-A they will have good, fair, and bad teams each year. How many of the current teams will still be in 4-A after the next couple cycles? 

Dart@1090

I'm confused Elkins is moving to the 1-4a?  Haven't saw this, but have saw were Green Forest is moving up to 1-4a replacing Huntsville which is moving up to 5A. 

Gray lizard

Quote from: Dart@1090 on December 14, 2017, 11:43:36 am
I'm confused Elkins is moving to the 1-4a?  Haven't saw this, but have saw were Green Forest is moving up to 1-4a replacing Huntsville which is moving up to 5A.

Moving up to 4-A but in the 4-4A not the 1-4-A

beach bum

The 1-4A has been a better conference than the 4-4A each of the last 3 years.... I don't really see what I said was so rash?

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: beach bum on December 14, 2017, 05:23:53 pm
The 1-4A has been a better conference than the 4-4A each of the last 3 years.... I don't really see what I said was so rash?

Nothing rash at all. Put Elkins in the 1-4A without a good deal of growth and they'll be fighting with Gentry and Lincoln for the 5 seed in their best years. Fighting with Berryville to not be the worst in bad years.

Dart@1090

I am surprised by that move.  That is going to be a lot of traveling for them.  I am assuming this was a AAA decision?

SouthpawSensation

December 19, 2017, 04:08:55 pm #10 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:15:37 am by SouthpawSensation
Quote from: Dart@1090 on December 18, 2017, 03:12:05 pm
I am surprised by that move.  That is going to be a lot of traveling for them.  I am assuming this was a AAA decision?
Yes, and it was based on travel and mileage.
Elkins is closer to most of the other 4A-4 Conference schools than anybody else in the 4A-1.

beach bum

December 19, 2017, 04:39:31 pm #11 Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:45:38 pm by beach bum
With 9 teams in the area that leaves either Prairie Grove or Elkins being shipped to the 4-4A.... Elkins can get down to the River Valley slightly faster than Prairie Grove can, but they have to trek down Hwy 23 every time they do and that is not exactly a quick trip either. Prairie Grove just has all its history with the 1-4A teams so I guess that is why it was easy for the AAA to put Elkins in the 4-4A. Maybe when Elkins play at Mena or Waldron they may just go down I-49, but to the other places like Ozark, Subiaco, Dover, Dardanelle, and Pottsville they will have to use Hwy 23 going 25 mph down all the twists and turns. Had Green Forest not popped up into 4A too to make them an obvious fit with Berryville we would have seen Elkins go to the 1-4A for much shorter travel.

friscokid

Berryville, Prairie Grove, Gravette and Pea Ridge are all in the top six in enrollment in 4A, and at least a couple could jump to 5A in 2020. At some point a Valley team (Ozark first) will be pulled into 1-4A.

beach bum

Quote from: friscokid on December 19, 2017, 08:07:49 pm
Berryville, Prairie Grove, Gravette and Pea Ridge are all in the top six in enrollment in 4A, and at least a couple could jump to 5A in 2020. At some point a Valley team (Ozark first) will be pulled into 1-4A.

2020 and 2022 are going to be crazy times in NWA athletics when shaping new conferences...

prHOG13

Quote from: beach bum on December 19, 2017, 08:11:00 pm
2020 and 2022 are going to be crazy times in NWA athletics when shaping new conferences...
Yeah there's no chance PR stays in 4A with how it's growing unless the AAA shakes up the classifications and eliminates one. Construction has really picked up in the area again the last two years and the district is growing at over 100 kids per year.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: beach bum on December 19, 2017, 04:39:31 pm
With 9 teams in the area that leaves either Prairie Grove or Elkins being shipped to the 4-4A.... Elkins can get down to the River Valley slightly faster than Prairie Grove can, but they have to trek down Hwy 23 every time they do and that is not exactly a quick trip either. Prairie Grove just has all its history with the 1-4A teams so I guess that is why it was easy for the AAA to put Elkins in the 4-4A. Maybe when Elkins play at Mena or Waldron they may just go down I-49, but to the other places like Ozark, Subiaco, Dover, Dardanelle, and Pottsville they will have to use Hwy 23 going 25 mph down all the twists and turns. Had Green Forest not popped up into 4A too to make them an obvious fit with Berryville we would have seen Elkins go to the 1-4A for much shorter travel.
Here are the distances from the 4A-4 schools to Elkins and Prairie Grove:
Ozark — 47.8 to Elkins, 70.6 to Prairie Grove
Subiaco — 71.6 to Elkins, 94.4 to Prairie Grove
Waldron — 110 to Elkins, 101 to Prairie Grove
Dardanelle — 98.8 to Elkins, 122 to Prairie Grove
Dover — 97.9 to Elkins, 121 to Prairie Grove
Pottsville — 100 to Elkins, 123 to Prairie Grove
Mena — 145 to Elkins, 136 to Prairie Grove
But here's something else for the AAA's reasoning why Elkins went to the 4A-4 and not Prairie Grove:
The AAA picked up a little heat over the last two years by having Greenland and Elkins drive through 3A-4 schools Lamar and Atkins to get to Clinton, and vice versa. Had Prairie Grove been the school sent to the 4A-4, Lincoln would still have to drive through Prairie Grove to get to 4A-1 Conference games at Elkins, Green Forest, Berryville, Pea Ridge and Shiloh Christian.

friscokid

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on December 22, 2017, 12:29:01 pm
Here are the distances from the 4A-4 schools to Elkins and Prairie Grove:
Ozark — 47.8 to Elkins, 70.6 to Prairie Grove
Subiaco — 71.6 to Elkins, 94.4 to Prairie Grove
Waldron — 110 to Elkins, 101 to Prairie Grove
Dardanelle — 98.8 to Elkins, 122 to Prairie Grove
Dover — 97.9 to Elkins, 121 to Prairie Grove
Pottsville — 100 to Elkins, 123 to Prairie Grove
Mena — 145 to Elkins, 136 to Prairie Grove
But here's something else for the AAA's reasoning why Elkins went to the 4A-4 and not Prairie Grove:
The AAA picked up a little heat over the last two years by having Greenland and Elkins drive through 3A-4 schools Lamar and Atkins to get to Clinton, and vice versa. Had Prairie Grove been the school sent to the 4A-4, Lincoln would still have to drive through Prairie Grove to get to 4A-1 Conference games at Elkins, Green Forest, Berryville, Pea Ridge and Shiloh Christian.
Reminds me of a story in the mid-90s. The AAA stuck Dover in with Clinton, Beebe, Vilonia, etc. and sent Atkins into a district with Joe T., Lonoke, PA, etc.

Dover had to drive through Atkins to get to most of its conference games so to prove the point, they stopped in Atkins for all their pregame meals.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: friscokid on December 22, 2017, 01:30:57 pm
Reminds me of a story in the mid-90s. The AAA stuck Dover in with Clinton, Beebe, Vilonia, etc. and sent Atkins into a district with Joe T., Lonoke, PA, etc.

Dover had to drive through Atkins to get to most of its conference games so to prove the point, they stopped in Atkins for all their pregame meals.

So it would've been better for Dover to have been in the conference with Lonoke, PA and Joe T.?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas