• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30 for 30. Brian and the Boz

Started by AirWarren, October 31, 2014, 11:15:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Another great one. Man I love these films.

hitemgogetem

I enjoyed that one as well........I read his book back when he was still playing and it was interesting to see his change in perspective between his youth, and now.  His experiences mellowed him considerably...

Always strange when athletes talk about themselves in the third person....but throughout this piece he was almost sporting a multiple personality kind of thing.....emphasized by the title 'Brian AND the Boz'.

When talking about 'Brian' it was always 'when I', or 'my motivation was'....etc.
When talking about 'The Boz' everything was 'he', 'his', 'him'.

Whether you like him or not, this documentary was well done and very interesting. Especially how he attributed his cockiness to Switzer......imagine that.......

AirWarren

Switzer was in the generation that paved the way for athletes running a muck and winning at all costs despite the discipline of the team.

Oklahoma and Miami were examples of these types of behavior that were molded from the personality of the coach.

Nevertheless, great story. Great football player that fell pretty hard from grace very fast. Seems to he a common thing with superstar athletes. Sad.

blue4hire

Quote from: AirWarren on October 31, 2014, 03:52:42 pm
Switzer was in the generation that paved the way for athletes running a muck and winning at all costs despite the discipline of the team.

Oklahoma and Miami were examples of these types of behavior that were molded from the personality of the coach.

Nevertheless, great story. Great football player that fell pretty hard from grace very fast. Seems to he a common thing with superstar athletes. Sad.
Interesting that the two coaches referenced here both played for Frank Broyles in the 60's.  I guess they weren't molded from the personality of their coach.

AirWarren

Ridge Rat

Yea right. You better look at the list of the rest of his assistants and players before ya paint them all with the same brush. Broyles made some mistakes over the years, but he has done more for the university than anyone else.

cuckoobird

This was one of the best ones yet. Btw i had a boz haircut in the 8th grade

Hoghead

I watched as well. I liked the Boz and OU back then. Those Sooner teams were stacked. A few Arkansas players, Keith Jackson, Danny Bradley and Eric Wright played on those teams. They put a chain beating on Arkansas in that Orange Bowl that year.

B.S.

I was never so glad to see someone get put in his place as when Bo knocked the "Boz" on his butt in the end zone!

Valleysports

Quote from: B.S. on November 08, 2014, 11:20:56 pm
I was never so glad to see someone get put in his place as when Bo knocked the "Boz" on his butt in the end zone!

That the way you remember it?  Knocked the "Boz" on his butt?  LOL  It was more like the Boz tried to tackle Bo too high, as Bo ran to the Boz's right side.  Boz kinda rode Bo's back, into the endzone, since Bo got under him.  It was over hyped in a lot of fans minds.

B.S.

Quote from: Valleysports on November 09, 2014, 01:55:15 am
Quote from: B.S. on November 08, 2014, 11:20:56 pm

That the way you remember it?  Knocked the "Boz" on his butt?  LOL  It was more like the Boz tried to tackle Bo too high, as Bo ran to the Boz's right side.  Boz kinda rode Bo's back, into the endzone, since Bo got under him.  It was over hyped in a lot of fans minds.

It wouldn't have mattered, "The Boz" couldn't have handled Bo if he had hit him straight up with perfect technique, it would have been the same result, but even more humiliating because there wouldn't have been any excuses. Maybe the Boz knew that and that's why he didn't try to take him on like a man!

cuckoobird

November 09, 2014, 03:36:08 pm #11 Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:16:04 pm by cuckoobird
Name 5 people who could handle Bo one on one. Bet you cant. Well you could take a stab at it but none of your answers would be correct. Take away all the hoopla and the boz is one of the greatest LB's in college football history. Plus he was under sized. Think of sammy olajabootu, or however you spell it, on steriods, literally....

Reflexn

The Boz electrified the youth of that era. His personality, results and the dominance of OU was good for football. You loved him of hated him.

As for Bo, we witnessed perhaps the greatest duel sport athlete of all time. He was such a freak that when he dislocated his hip, he got up and walked off the field.

Greatest hits? Bo vs Boz was not even a close second as compared to Atwater vs O'Koye. Boz wasn't locked in and perhaps the shiftiness and strength of Bo magnifies that. Atwater and and O'Koye met on different terms. It was the shot heard around the NFL.

cuckoobird

+1 Not many of the posters on here ever saw atwater play. He was a beast

Reflexn

It's worth you tubing it. O'Koye with all his accolades as a punishing back meets Atwater. O'Koye just bounced back before he fell over. Looked like a heavyweight who had never been on the canvas. Steve Atwater( former Hog) was born.

Breitontime

It's on Netflix. Solid episode of the series.

BrianfromCarlisle

And Otis Lloyd hit harder than Atwater. That Okoye hit was ridiculous though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas