• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Catchers in the State

Started by JDoc2011, March 15, 2014, 12:31:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhosOnFirst

Quote from: Hogwild#9 on June 24, 2014, 10:57:19 pm
Post looked solid in the all star game tonight. Threw a runner out tonight and had a double.

Did he play with his state championship ring on his glove hand or throwing hand tonight?

jr17

Whosonfirst.

What does that have to do with the all-star game.? JW.

WhosOnFirst

Quote from: jr17 on June 25, 2014, 11:39:32 am
Whosonfirst.

I didn't know this was an all star game thread, I think there is one already made if you want to talk about the all star game though. Let me guess, Post was on the losing team on the all star game too? :'(

jr17

Oh well I was just confused because your first quoted text was about the all star game. Are you being a hater for a reason or just because you feel like it? All that was said was he had a good performance in the all star game. Did I miss the part where hog wild said anything about a state championship is that post?

Hogwild#9

Quote from: WhosOnFirst on June 25, 2014, 12:19:42 pm
Quote from: jr17 on June 25, 2014, 11:39:32 am
Whosonfirst.

I didn't know this was an all star game thread, I think there is one already made if you want to talk about the all star game though. Let me guess, Post was on the losing team on the all star game too? :'(
This is a best catcher in the state thread and I posted how a catcher did in the all star game. That's a reasonable post to this thread. It's fine that you don't like Mayflower but take that crap somewhere else sir.

3ADude

IMO Post and the catcher from Green County tech were the best two catchers at the all star game.  Post also hit the ball well.  Colson is usually pretty solid but I thought the other 2 were better on this particular night.   Good luck to all these guys and congrats on a good night of baseball.

Bulldog92

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 14, 2014, 06:17:21 am
Sorry guys that was an error. It was 6.4. When it was called out i thought i heard 6.10
Catcher with a 1.83 pop and a 6.4 sec 60!!  Not doubting you but if he is in HS he won't see college if he can handle himself behind the plate!!

cuckoobird

Hes 5'9" and 170lbs. Thats his downfall

Bulldog92

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 07, 2014, 12:25:39 pm
I have seen a few people post statements on here like that -- they just aren't big enough or their size is keeping them from being looked at.  I'm not a scout or a college coach but if a catcher has that pop time, that speed, a good bat, and the skills behind the plate I would take him.  He doesn't have to take on a 6'4" 300 pound defensive tackle and he is the pulling gaurd!!  If he doesn't want to play in college then thats fine, but if he wants to play college him and his parents need to get in front some college coaches.  Someone will be interested.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Bulldog92 on July 07, 2014, 03:01:42 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 07, 2014, 12:25:39 pm
I have seen a few people post statements on here like that -- they just aren't big enough or their size is keeping them from being looked at.  I'm not a scout or a college coach but if a catcher has that pop time, that speed, a good bat, and the skills behind the plate I would take him.  He doesn't have to take on a 6'4" 300 pound defensive tackle and he is the pulling gaurd!!  If he doesn't want to play in college then thats fine, but if he wants to play college him and his parents need to get in front some college coaches.  Someone will be interested.
he has offers but you don't see catchers that small in the pros. Just a fact of life.

Breitontime

July 07, 2014, 03:20:56 pm #110 Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:23:33 pm by Breitontime
It is a downfall for a lot of guys.

You get on a 140+ game schedule in the minors, that 170 can easily become 150 with a degradation of skills to go with it. Catcher is the most physically demanding position, frail guys don't usually last.

Running a 6.4, and swinging the stick well makes him a prime canidate to switch to 2B, if he can handle it.

That said, a friend of mine is the smallest player in the MLB, and he's currently one of the best players in the MLB.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Breitontime on July 07, 2014, 03:20:56 pm
It is a downfall for a lot of guys.

You get on a 140+ game schedule in the minors, that 170 can easily become 150 with a degradation of skills to go with it.

That said, a friend of mine is the smallest player in the MLB, and he's currently one of the best players in the MLB.
does he catch or play second base?

Breitontime

July 07, 2014, 03:23:56 pm #112 Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:26:18 pm by Breitontime
2B, Cuck.

And there is a reason everyone makes a big deal about his size. It is atypical.

cuckoobird

I figured so. They are generally the lil guys

Bulldog92

I thought we were just talking about getting picked up by a college so that he could get an education.  When comparing his physical attibutes to those of a pro player then you are correct, but I have seen 5'5" to 6'2" catchers in college.  I would be more concerned about getting him into a college to get an education than worrying about him switching positions and making it to the pros, we all know how small a percentage makes it.  I wish him the best. 

cuckoobird

he has college offers but you're the one who said if his stats are true he won't see college ball, not me.

Bulldog92

You are right. Then the conversation went from what the kid skills were to him being 5'9" and 170 pounds.  Then went to him losing weight because they play 140 games in the minors.  I don't know about this kid but most kids get a little bigger and stronger their first couple of years in college.  He could very well turn into 5'11" 190 pounds and have improved skills. But anyway wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do. 

wecatchbaseball

Little Rock Christian Catcher Signed with UALR

Wsquared

Quote from: wecatchbaseball on October 29, 2014, 02:24:18 pm
Little Rock Christian Catcher Signed with UALR

Can't sign until National Signing Day in November 12th.

wecatchbaseball

Wsquared

Quote from: wecatchbaseball on October 30, 2014, 09:26:37 am
Committed will sign

Congratulations to him Chris Curry is a great person to play for.

Old Dawg 7

rwh2295

From what I can find UALR has 4 Verbal Commitments so far for 2015 Kids From Arkansas.

Danny Mitchell - NLR - OF
Hayden Weaver - Vilonia - LHP
Cale Ridling - Genoa - OF
Lane Carter - Conway - RHP

Little Rock Christian has Austin Ply listed as a 2015 Graduate that plays Catcher and Jack Lee also plays Catcher but he is a 2016.

Congrats to Austin if he is the UALR Commitment.

wecatchbaseball

Baseball6728

Catcher from Gosnell Michael Miller with a 1.9 pop time will be one of the top catchers in the state AGAIN in 4a if not the entire state.

Tiger15

Star City and LR Central have #1 and #1A in the state behind the dish.

Bulldog92

Kid from SC is as fundamentally sound as I have seen.  He is just a Jr so he is going to get bigger and stronger which in turn should mean increased arm strength and more pop at the plate, both of which are already pretty dang good.   

Razorhog2000

My son Played against Jack Lee (LR Christain 2016?) very good catcher.  Makes all the throws on a rope, and can do it from his knees.  He was impressive to watch.   

Gindog

You'll may need to look at NLR catcher.  Pop 1.9 and a beast at the plate. He being look at Alabama, and Arkansas  I hear. I watch the kid in three game this weekend and he back pick one and throw out 3 with easy.

Dirty dawg

Riverside has a next level catcher. Quick pop and good hands!

wecatchbaseball

Jack Lee is a very good solid catcher, Did you see him play this year or during the summer. He is playing Left Field for the Warriors this year. The current Catcher is Senior Austin Ply.

admorris24

Brinson Williams at Benton is as good as it gets.  3 year starter and only a JR

Razorhog2000

I watched J. Lee last summer playing Express ball.  He was the only one my son knew not to try and steal against. 

NEA Razorback olfan

Dillon Groves from Brookland is solid

Old Dawg 7

Quote from: Razorhog2000 on April 09, 2015, 02:45:27 pm
I watched J. Lee last summer playing Express ball.  He was the only one my son knew not to try and steal against.
Did you guys play the prospects?

Old Dawg 7

CurseOfTheGoat

Traywick from Jax Lighthouse threw out 5 runners and went 5-6 with 5 RBI and 2 triples against Guy Perkins on Tuesday.

Razorhog2000

Quote from: Old Dawg 7 on April 09, 2015, 08:24:28 pm
Quote from: Razorhog2000 on April 09, 2015, 02:45:27 pm
Did you guys play the prospects?
I am not for sure, possibly, I didn't get to make it to all the games since they were all over the state and some in Kansas.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Baseball6728 on November 14, 2014, 11:01:08 am
Catcher from Gosnell Michael Miller with a 1.9 pop time will be one of the top catchers in the state AGAIN in 4a if not the entire state.

Saw in the Jonesboro Sun today he signed with Williams Baptist College

PirateFan

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on April 10, 2015, 11:17:05 am

Miller along with fellow Pirate Justin Mann did sign with WBC back in February. Guess the Sun is just a little behind. They will joining Will Camp who signed back in the fall. These 3 young men have played together since TeeBall. It's great to see them get to continue at the next level together!

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: PirateFan on April 11, 2015, 09:23:12 am

Miller along with fellow Pirate Justin Mann did sign with WBC back in February. Guess the Sun is just a little behind. They will joining Will Camp who signed back in the fall. These 3 young men have played together since TeeBall. It's great to see them get to continue at the next level together!

Congrats to these young men , best of luck at the next level!!

Bulldog92

I am not knocking any kid because their not the ones on here doing the talking.  BUT being the best catcher not only in the 4A but the entire state and signing with WBC to play baseball just doesn't add up. 

cuckoobird

Rumor is the Stuttgart catcher will be playing for a D1 school. Nothing official yet though

Nomad1324

Quote from: Bulldog92 on April 14, 2015, 07:27:04 am

I am not knocking any kid because their not the ones on here doing the talking.  BUT being the best catcher not only in the 4A but the entire state and signing with WBC to play baseball just doesn't add up.

He's a very good defensive catcher and his bat has come a long way. I haven't seen enough of everyone else to call him the best catcher in the state, and wouldn't presume to do so, but he is very good for a 4A catcher.

Bulldog92

Quote from: Nomad1324 on April 14, 2015, 12:27:53 pm
Quote from: Bulldog92 on April 14, 2015, 07:27:04 am

He's a very good defensive catcher and his bat has come a long way. I haven't seen enough of everyone else to call him the best catcher in the state, and wouldn't presume to do so, but he is very good for a 4A catcher.
That is a very good response Nomad.  Its hard to say who the best is when probably no one has seen all the catchers in 4A.  There are some good ones out there!!

Bulldog92

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 14, 2015, 12:24:19 pm
Rumor is the Stuttgart catcher will be playing for a D1 school. Nothing official yet though
Congrats!!

nmyeyes

cuckoobird, D-1 matters not. Go somewhere you can get a good eduction and WIN!!!!

cuckoobird

Quote from: nmyeyes on April 20, 2015, 03:34:21 pm
cuckoobird, D-1 matters not. Go somewhere you can get a good eduction and WIN!!!!
Well, they are winning against much larger schools plus the team GPA is like a 3.0 so I think the qualifications you put on them are covered.

cuckoobird

Stuttgart's catcher game hit streak ended last night, however he is still batting over .700

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on April 23, 2015, 08:42:49 am
Stuttgart's catcher game hit streak ended last night, however he is still batting over .700
Quote from: cuckoobird on April 14, 2015, 12:24:19 pm
700 is pretty stout.  If memory serves me correct, is this not your son?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas