• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Campbell and the District mile run

Started by MICHAELSPAPPY, April 17, 2018, 05:42:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MICHAELSPAPPY

April 17, 2018, 05:42:36 pm Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:20:13 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
OK. Coach Bryan asked for more stories, so we'll try at least one more. During the early 1970s, western Arkansas was a stronghold of middle distance running in what was then Class A. In fact, in 1973, the first four places in the mile at state were from Waldron, Ozark, Clarksville (I think) and Booneville, not necessarily in that order.

Anyway, in 1971 we (Booneville) had a fairly weak track team, mainly due to a bad outbreak of senioritis taking out several of our top performers, and Dr. Rick Ray pulling a hamstring in the 220 in the first meet of the year. (He was in the inside lane, and had the stagger made up on everyone else by the top of the curve, then jumped into the air, and end of season.) So, I had to become the main point-getter sort of by default. I had run the 440 as a junior, but coach moved me up to the 880 and mile my senior season. I was no world-beater, but my brother Robert and I generally were at least competitive in local competition.

However, the dominant runner in our area was Greg Luther from Charleston. He was a stocky kid. In fact, he played guard on the football team. He was not blazing fast, but he just had a bulldog tenacity and competitiveness and great endurance.

Because we were so short-handed, we were not a factor in the district meet. Our weight guy scored in shot and discus, and my brother and I placed in the 880 and mile (no 2 mile in those days), and that was it. Just for fun, coach entered me in the 100 yard dash, even though I was no sprinter. Lo and behold, I qualified for the finals, but did not run it because it was just before the mile and I would not have scored, anyway. Before the race, Coach Burnett told me that he wanted eight points out of me in the two distance races. He didn't care how I got them, but he wanted eight. (Back then it was 6-4-3-2-1.) Since it was possibly my last mile, I was determined to give it my best effort.

We ran easily for the first lap. Then when we began the second lap, two runners from Paris boxed me in. It was obvious that it was deliberate - one right in front, one right on my right shoulder. No way I could get out without fouling or by dropping back and going outside. So, I decided to wait for a while and see what happened. I could not see Luther any of this time. Finally, as we got to the halfway point, the kid on my shoulder lagged back just enough so that I could make a break without fouling, so I hit the accelerator and took off. Luther took off after me, and the race was on. It quickly became a 2-man race at that point.

Luther was a very strong, muscular kid, and I knew that in order to have a chance I would have to hold him off down the back straight of the final lap. It had become a flat out sprint by that point, but somehow (it surprised me) I was able to hold him off down the straight, and now, if he passed me on the curve, he had to run that much further. Round the curve we came, with me about a half step ahead and Luther pounding right behind my right shoulder.

At this point I need to bring to memory the character of Otis Campbell. Remember him? The town drunk in the old Andy Griffith TV series. There was a kid from Dardanelle whose last name was Campbell, and who was nicknamed Otis after the Mayberry character. He had been made to run the mile. He was a lineman on the football team and probably was running only under great protest. He was not a distance runner or anything remotely close to it, and knew nothing about the etiquette or rules of running. He was trudging manfully along in the inside lane as Luther and I came charging around the final curve heading into the straight. The crowd was yelling at him to get out of the way, but all he knew was that he was dead already and still had a lap to go. To get around him I had to break stride, and Luther went past me, and there was no chance for me to recover, even if I could have. So, Otis Campbell cost me at least a chance at a district title.

The rest of the story is that I set the school record in that race (4:44.5, if I remember correctly - something right around there). It stood for exactly six days. I set it on Saturday at Russellville, and Robert broke it on Friday at the state meet. I had a terrible state meet. Luther opted out of the mile to concentrate on the 880 at state (which he won, by the way) and my brother (3rd at district) took his place. He broke my brand new school record at state. Oh, well, my brief moment in the sun.

Robert, my brother, went on to lower the school record down to around 4:33 in his senior year, and then eventually the great Ricky Dean Davis took it down to about 4:22 with his two Meet of Champs titles, so my six days worth of glory did not end up amounting to much.

Do I wish I could have won the title? Sure, it would have been fun. It would have been nice to have beaten Greg Luther at least once. But I do not know if I could have held him off in any case. And besides, it has been lots of fun over the years telling the story about Otis Campbell and the Mile Run. My grandchildren know the story well.

RATTLER43

AT

April 18, 2018, 02:52:25 pm #2 Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:24:01 pm by Almatrackster
This is kind of scary close to the story of my senior year district 1600 meter run.

2010 (I know, I'm young). Vilonia has Coach Stout, in his first year I believe, so they aren't a powerhouse yet, but are about to be. Anyways, they have always had good distance guys and had a guy that year who won the 5A cross country title in the fall. I'll call him ZB.

Going into the district meet, ZB had a 4:42 personal best, another kid from Vilonia (NP) had a 4:50 personal best, and I had a 4:54 personal best. Most of our good milers in our conference had graduated the year before. This was my first year running the mile at most meets. It took me until about the last two meets before district to realize you have to run the first 800 fast AND the second 800 fast.

I ran the 4:54 at Alma.

So back to the district meet, Coach Mac only wants me to get top 4 at least to make it to state, and I'm thinking that sounds good to me.

We get to the starting line and ZB looks back at NP and says "You better get 2nd." I realized then that I wasn't on this kid's mind at all and my competitiveness kicked in. Honestly if he didn't say that before the race, I don't know if what happened next would happen.

This is where the similarities come in.

I stick to ZB's back and NP, his teammate, is to my right and I'm boxed in. I'm not sure it was planned before, but there was some semblance of a plan to make sure I had to run the hardest race with the contenders.

There was another group of about 3 more that stuck with us for the first two laps, but we dropped them at the 800 mark and it was just ZB, NP, and me. They were doing the same thing still. Another thing they were doing is switching who ran in front to conserve energy and take the headwind. The plan all along was to let NP take most of it and let ZB go and NP hang on for 2nd.

On the third lap, I try to put a stop to them switching places by doing what you said, slowing down a tad and getting to NP's right and box him in. Now I honest to goodness swear this next part happens...this conference host was not known for watching things closely, so NP went INSIDE the track onto the INFIELD to get in front to save energy. I actually looked at Coach Mac and put my hands up, but he just looked at me with a look that said "We can't do anything about that, just race."

Got to the 1200 mark and NP starts looking dog tired as he used a lot of energy to help ZB. We drop him so 2nd place was now out of the question for him. I could have coasted to 2nd and saved some energy for the 800 later, but what ZB said before the race was stuck in my mind. I knew I could outkick him, he was better the longer you went and I was a better sprinter, so I saved my kick for the last 200.

He made it a lot tougher than I thought, as I didn't really pass him until about 50 meters to go, but the ending was a happy ending for me as I did beat him and lowered my PR to 4:44. I then lowered that to 4:40 at state, and I had to run a 800 in under 2:05 every time an hour later. Good times.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Well, that's one way of beating the box. But usually the powers that be frown on it. Sounds like someone was napping.

RATTLER43

AT

Rattler, tell us your boys state championship story if you ever get a chance. It is one of my favorite Arkansas high school track moments.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 18, 2018, 06:24:27 pm
Rattler, tell us your boys state championship story if you ever get a chance. It is one of my favorite Arkansas high school track moments.

Yes, there was a whole town on the edge of their seats for that one.

RATTLER43

April 19, 2018, 05:25:51 pm #7 Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:29:05 pm by RATTLER43
Preface: teams had finished 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, r-up, r-up at State in 7 of previous 11 years.  In 2011, I had an incredible squad. But my distance crew all gave blood the day before state, Ryan Chambers (#2 LJ, #3HJ, #3PV, #4TJ) injured ankle as we lost by 4 points.   

So, my #3-ranked team in 2012 decided to not let anything stop them. Great commitment all year.   My girls ranked #1 all year.  Both are rolling along when my daughter tears hamstring in triple jump.  I tally points in my mind and know DES Arc and Magnet Cove will now be able to overtake us.   Girls crying everywhere even though they continued competing to the end.  Well, my teams all work together and it just poured more motivation into the boys who were scoring seemingly in every event.  With three events to go, the announcer calls out team standings and we find ourselves down 21 to Junction City!  I'm immediately overcome with emotions as that news hits as my daughter is walking the 200m dash final limping with an ice pack taped to her hamstring to get that 1 point.  Tears are streaming as I'm questioning why my Lord is testing me with the emotions of my kids (yes. I know it is silly, but true). Dority and Williams come up 3rd and 6th in 200m.  Unexpected.   Then Stafford and Moua (#4 and #8 going in) gutted out a gigantic 3-4 finish!!!    They call out the standings.  If our mile relay beats them, we are champions. If they beat us, they are the champions.  By the way, they had a #1 season best 3:36 going in and we had a #7 3:46 going in.  My team culture is always about team and each other.  Charly Moua, my best hurdler, and Josh Dority, my top sprinter come to me. Coach, we've been on the relay all year but we think after all of our events, we have a better shot with Cory and Michael's fresh legs.  I said let's do it.   Jack Scott starts slowly and at the 200m mark is well behind JC and Magnet Cove runners.  But something kicks in and so does Jack. What a kick. PR to hand off sidebyside with JC.  Michael "Squeeze" Vasquez then runs a PR to hand off side by side with JC again.  Cory Chambers then runs a PR handing the baton to our anchor from about 3 feet behind JC. It is now a 2-man race between Ethan Williams and Romunskee Flowers.  They do nearly 350 meters of synchronized running.  Flowers technique breaks just a little and Williams takes us to Gold in 3:35 and the promised land of a state championship.  My girls who led all day until the final event are jumping up and down screaming with tears of joy and sadness.    Facebook exploded among Rattler faithful and my phone went dead from all the calls and texts from family, friends, community, fellow coaches, etc.   There is so much more but this paints the general picture. 

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on April 19, 2018, 05:25:51 pm
Preface: teams had finished 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, r-up, r-up at State in 7 of previous 11 years.  In 2011, I had an incredible squad. But my distance crew all gave blood the day before state, Ryan Chambers (#2 LJ, #3HJ, #3PV, #4TJ) injured ankle as we lost by 4 points.   

So, my #3-ranked team in 2012 decided to not let anything stop them. Great commitment all year.   My girls ranked #1 all year.  Both are rolling along when my daughter tears hamstring in triple jump.  I tally points in my mind and know DES Arc and Magnet Cove will now be able to overtake us.   Girls crying everywhere even though they continued competing to the end.  Well, my teams all work together and it just poured more motivation into the boys who were scoring seemingly in every event.  With three events to go, the announcer calls out team standings and we find ourselves down 21 to Junction City!  I'm immediately overcome with emotions as that news hits as my daughter is walking the 200m dash final limping with an ice pack taped to her hamstring to get that 1 point.  Tears are streaming as I'm questioning why my Lord is testing me with the emotions of my kids (yes. I know it is silly, but true). Dority and Williams come up 3rd and 6th in 200m.  Unexpected.   Then Stafford and Moua (#4 and #8 going in) gutted out a gigantic 3-4 finish!!!    They call out the standings.  If our mile relay beats them, we are champions. If they beat us, they are the champions.  By the way, they had a #1 season best 3:36 going in and we had a #7 3:46 going in.  My team culture is always about team and each other.  Charly Moua, my best hurdler, and Josh Dority, my top sprinter come to me. Coach, we've been on the relay all year but we think after all of our events, we have a better shot with Cory and Michael's fresh legs.  I said let's do it.   Jack Scott starts slowly and at the 200m mark is well behind JC and Magnet Cove runners.  But something kicks in and so does Jack. What a kick. PR to hand off sidebyside with JC.  Michael "Squeeze" Vasquez then runs a PR to hand off side by side with JC again.  Cory Chambers then runs a PR handing the baton to our anchor from about 3 feet behind JC. It is now a 2-man race between Ethan Williams and Romunskee Flowers.  They do nearly 350 meters of synchronized running.  Flowers technique breaks just a little and Williams takes us to Gold in 3:35 and the promised land of a state championship.  My girls who led all day until the final event are jumping up and down screaming with tears of joy and sadness.    Facebook exploded among Rattler faithful and my phone went dead from all the calls and texts from family, friends, community, fellow coaches, etc.   There is so much more but this paints the general picture.

Great story. You painted it well. I'll share my state championship story here sometime soon as an athlete.

RATTLER43

You know of my admiration for Coach Mac.  Can't wait.   

AT

April 23, 2018, 08:11:40 pm #10 Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:14:47 pm by Almatrackster
After completing the performance lists, I feel inspired to talk about the state championship team I was on.

I ran for Alma XC and track from 2008-2010. I didn't join the program until the end of cross country at the my sophomore year. I had grown tired of basketball and had show some ability to run long distances efficiently before, so I tried my hand at it. Had no idea what it would blossom to.

I asked the aforementioned legendary Coach Mac "Can I join track?" like an awkward sophomore would and he said "It is cross country season, go talk to Coach Hall." Coach Mac didn't do cross country since he was a football coach in the fall.

Those are my beginnings. I started off...poorly. I did get to run the district meet for cross country my sophomore year, but didn't know how to run long distances yet and cramped up. I didn't know you could get back on the course after stopping or I would have. So I was a DNF in my first race for the program.

Not only that, but back then we had two indoor meets to start off track season. I was (and I promise you I really was) sick for both of them. Had the stomach bug and the flu. My first three competitions for Alma Track/XC? DNF, No Show, No Show. Coach Mac was patient with me. Soon, I began to blossom in practice and put myself on the 4x800 meter relay team, a team that had been strong for Alma over the years at the time, so it was pretty cool for me as a sophomore.

Anyways, my sophomore year had its ups and downs, but I found my sport. I focused on the 800 and 3200 relay and ran a 2:04 or 2:05 at the conference meet. Our relay team ran a 8:23 as our best that year. I would end up placing my sophomore year in the 800 in 8th place at the state meet. Our 3200 relay team placed 3rd. But the catalyst for the meat of this story is that we lost the state meet as a team on the 4x400. Magnolia, we were big rivals at this time, beat maybe the best team I was ever on during my time there by being better than us that day. It was really heartbreaking. I was a sophomore, but the seniors were crying on the infield and I couldn't comfort them. No one could, we had been the favorites, but Magnolia was the better team that day.

On the long way home (We had our state meet at Paragould ALL 3 OF MY SEASONS), Coach Mac wrote his plan down to win state the next season.

His plan? Load up in the 800, hurdles, and field events. It went exactly as planned.

I was an integral part of this plan as Colton, Izaak, Alex, and I, our whole 3200 relay team, were returning and we were all expected to qualify for the state meet. We did. Colton pre qualified and then we finished 2-3-4 at the conference meet to get the rest of us in. Our 3200 relay were co favorites with Hot Springs that year.

So after the conference meet my junior year, we were favorites. But we knew from the prior year, that didn't mean much.

And man we had a scare. The night before our state meet, our pole vaulter who was guaranteed 10 points just by clearing a mediocre height for him, got in some big trouble and could not go to the state meet. 10 points gone, our "pretty good favorites" went to "toss a coin" with Magnolia.

On the way to Paragould, the 5 hour bus ride that we had to take all 3 of my seasons, the bus broke down. Did I mention that we had the state meet in Paragould every year I was on the team? Anyways, we had to wait for a mechanic and some other help and we were on the side of the road, grumpy because we left 10 points at home and because we had to stand outside in hot weather waiting for our bus to get fixed.

When we finally got to Paragould, Coach Mac gave probably the best inspirational speech I've ever heard. I don't remember it all, but I do remember thinking we'd run through a wall to win the state meet the next day.

Day of the State Meet: Junior Year

Our other pole vaulter steps up huge and gets 2nd.

We go something like 1st-3rd-4th in shot

1st and 5th in discus

1st in high jump (maybe 7th too?)

A freshmen gets 4th in long jump

Nothing in triple, Magnolia did go 1-2 there.

We had a huge field events AND Magnolia's 4x100 dropped the baton in the prelims.

But it was still going to be a battle.

The 3200 relay was the first running event final of course and I was on the team that won it! We won it with an 8:13 (we didn't go to the meet of champs, one of my biggest regrets).

We separated from Magnolia in the 300 hurdles where we went 2-3. Our 800 is what put the nail in the coffin. We went 1-4-5-6. I was 5.

We were ecstatic after our 800. We had done exactly what Coach Mac had asked.

I saved probably the best part for last, which is that our seniors skipped their graduations (part of the reason the season has moved up 2 weeks now) to run the state meet. They did their victory lap in their caps and gowns and we were announced the winners during the graduation ceremony back in Alma.

One of my favorite memories. The bus ride home involved one of our high jumpers singing and keeping me awake, but I didn't mind.

RATTLER43

Awesome!   And will still be awesome 50 years from now. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas