• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honoring Coach Frank McCellen of Barton

Started by Bearfanof#20, October 12, 2010, 10:27:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bearfanof#20

Barton School is Honoring Coach Frank McCellen of Barton Oct 29. We are making him a memory book, If you have a memory,picture are a story to share please do. We will copy and add to book. Please add name.

Thank you,
                                                                                  Derward Mauldin
                                                                                    Bearfanof#20           

rattler13

Ive never been to a Barton game but in my opinion Coach McClellen is possibly the greatest coach to ever grace the sidelines in the history of Arkansas High School Football!

Lions84

Do a search here at FF there are several old threads on here about PawPaw Frank.

Lions84

bleudog

Quote from: Lions84 on October 13, 2010, 12:26:47 pm
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=85380.msg1785468#msg1785468

Notice that was an old link and the Arkansas Sports HOF has redone their website since it was posted.  Here's the applicable section to make it a little easier:

"Class of 2002
Frank McClellan- One of the most successful high school coaches in America. He is the winningest coach in Arkansas high school history. At one time his Barton Bears held the national record for the most consecutive regular season wins (111). His teams won eight state championships as well as 21 district titles. Frank's Barton teams hold the state record for most consecutive wins with 63. Six times Frank served on the All-Star staff; twice he was been named Coach of the Year in Arkansas. The Democrat Gazette voted him Coach of the Decade for the 1990's. His teams had 18 perfect seasons. He's a member of the Delta State Hall of Fame, and the National High School Hall of Fame. He's a native of Sallis, Mississippi."

Fence Jockey

Bear, I am afraid it might end up being a pretty thick book before it is over with. Lots of memories know by alot of folks for sure! 

That man my very well, single handed be the reason Tumms, Malox & Rolaids are the companies they are today. He sure had alot of other coach's eating them by the handfulls back in the day!

Lions84

It was a Honor after I got out of College to go down to Walnut Corner and set and learn his tricks the Wing T in 1 day from the Master.

Lions84

MTINDIANFAN

This is a very good thing you are doing for the coach. I would think that every player that has played for him should come back and take the field for their coach one more time. But, as for us that have played against Barton, we would like to forget all the butt whoopin's we received!

Lions84

Quote from: MTINDIANFAN on October 18, 2010, 02:05:58 pm
This is a very good thing you are doing for the coach. I would think that every player that has played for him should come back and take the field for their coach one more time. But, as for us that have played against Barton, we would like to forget all the butt whoopin's we received!

That is for sure I never played on a team that Beat Barton.  We did the year after I graduated from HS.  We lost my Sr year 20-0.

Qdogg2000

October 19, 2010, 03:09:22 pm #10 Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:13:08 pm by Qdogg2000
When I was in high school NOBODY wanted to play Barton. We had a chance to play them my Sr. year, but we did not want to go play them in Barton and they did not want to play us in McCrory. Barton was on a whole different level in the 90's. Even in the late 80's. It still puzzles me to this day. How did you guys have such a awesome football program but your town had less than a thousand people. You guys had a great coach. I think you guys had a back named Pryor...he was good!

Lions84

Walnut Corner doesn't even have 500 people living there.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas