• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Co-op teams?

Started by friscokid, July 19, 2018, 12:03:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

friscokid

Now that 8-man is real, let's speculate who would make great co/op pairs should the AAA allow it in football.

Several states allow it, including Illinois and Nebraska. I've heard Oklahoma allows it as well. (Not Texas, and — for now — not Arkansas.)

How about Concord and West Side? Or Nemo Vista and Wonderview?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: friscokid on July 19, 2018, 12:03:43 am
Now that 8-man is real, let's speculate who would make great co/op pairs should the AAA allow it in football.

Several states allow it, including Illinois and Nebraska. I've heard Oklahoma allows it as well. (Not Texas, and — for now — not Arkansas.)

How about Concord and West Side? Or Nemo Vista and Wonderview?

Bad idea. Would create too many dominant teams.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 19, 2018, 01:36:59 pm
Bad idea. Would create too many dominant teams.

Some of the schools that are annexed together already do this with some sports.

Missco

Missouri also allows co-op teams

friscokid

Quote from: Missco on July 19, 2018, 10:19:15 pm
Missouri also allows co-op teams

To your point:
Quote1.4 COOPERATIVE SPONSORSHIPS
1.4.1 High School Cooperative Sponsorships: With the approval of the MSHSAA Board of Directors, students from two member
high schools may be combined to cooperatively sponsor interscholastic activities provided such is necessary to either have
a sufficient number of students to support a program or will result in increased opportunities for students to participate and
provided the following conditions are met:
a. Establishment of a cooperative program may be approved by the MSHSAA Board of Directors provided both schools can
show need to the Board of Directors. Examples that may constitute need are: 1) insufficient numbers; 2) lack of staff; 3)
lack of a program; and 4) lack of facilities.
b. When forming a cooperative sponsorship (co-op), no more than two* member high schools may be combined to
compete, and the school classification numbers of the two* schools, based on the enrollment breaks used for basketball,
when added together may not exceed six (6). The resulting school classification for competition in the particular activity
shall be based on the combined official enrollments for grades 9-12 of the two* schools involved.
1. Exception*: In 8-man football only, three schools may be combined to cooperatively sponsor a team as long as the
total combined enrollment for the three schools in grades 9-12 does not exceed 200 students.
c. At the time of the application to form common participating group is made, one of the participating schools shall be
designated to administer the program.
d. The districts of the two schools must be contiguous or the two schools must be in the same public school district. The
borders of the entire public school district in which a non-public school is located will be used to determine contiguity for
Page 34 2018-19 MSHSAA OFFICIAL HANDBOOK
purposes of a cooperative sponsorship that includes that non-public school (see item i also). Non-contiguous districts
that are isolated from a specific activity may request approval from the Board of Directors to form a cooperative program
if it will increase the opportunities for students to participate.
e. The cooperative sponsorship agreement must be for a minimum of one year. The cooperative agreement may be voided
at any time by mutual agreement of both schools with the approval of the Board of Directors. No other cooperative
agreement in the same activity may be entered into with another school until the original one-year period elapses.
f. In the event a cooperative agreement is voided prior to August 1, each school may sponsor their own team and shall
be eligible for post season play in all sports/activities except football due to the nature of scheduling and district
assignments.
g. The cooperative agreement will be for a specific sport or activity. A school may have a cooperative agreement with one
school in a particular activity or sport and with another school in a different activity or sport.
h. In multi-school districts, the central administration must designate the school(s) that may request permission to
cooperatively sponsor programs in a particular sport or activity.
i. If a school (a contiguous public school or a non-public school located within the boundaries of a multi-school district)
wishes to co-op with a school in a multi-school district the superintendent of that multi-school district will determine which
of his/her schools will form the co-op with the non-district school. When co-oping in this manner, all sports and activities
must be cooperatively sponsored with the same school.
j. Applications for cooperative sponsorship must be made jointly by the boards of education of the involved schools and
submitted to MSHSAA by May 1 for all activities, preceding the school year in which the cooperative sponsorship, if
approved, will be implemented.
High School Cooperative Sponsorship

Flobbito

MVE and Guy....Bleh, just saying that makes me feel dirty.

Eddie Goodson

There is no allowance for it in the AAA rule book so the whole debate is moot.

oasistrader

Arizona allows co-op teams .

Mulerider4Life

Why would you do a Co-op team for teams that already have football? Maybe do a Co-op team for two small schools that don't have football or a 2a school on the verge of dropping the program.

royalhoops

In states where I have been that allow co-op teams, the teams compete at the classification of the two populations combined. Here in Arkansas, districts that have multiple schools but compete under one school are allowed to compete in the class of that school. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas