• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Batesville at P.A.

Started by Intelligentsia, November 21, 2014, 11:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

November 24, 2014, 02:21:27 pm #100 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:23:43 pm by PA Dad
PA's quarterback made some poor decisions under pressure early in the year. He turned the ball over three or four times in the Highland Park game. But, he has improved dramatically through the season. Having said that, he did put the ball up for grabs under pressure last week in the CF game.

Putting pressure on the quarterback is nearly always a good thing!

Mtnview_14

Batesville has great size up front and a tremendous pass rush

Intelligentsia

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is a tremendous pass rush, I'd stick with better than average.  Certainly no better than 2012, but the secondary is better, overall, IMO.  In 2012 we rushed so well the QB had no time to throw, this year we pressure enough to create ill advised throws and clean up on the other end ;)

Mtnview_14

PA should have pretty good O-linemen. Bville will likely zone blitz a lot.  PA should hold their own. But bville will bring good pressure.

STUNNA

Quote from: The_Pioneer on November 24, 2014, 07:18:50 am
Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2014, 10:35:35 pm
If that's true it's encouraging since Batesville couldn't handle Jonesboro and nearly lost to Wynne.

Your logic is staggering.  You lost to the only decent team you played this year....
They put it on a very good warren team also.

Mtnview_14

Congrats. They beat up a 4A team. Let's just go ahead and give them the state championship.  It doesn't matter who anyone's beat this friday.  Both teams are so talented that this game will simply come down to who makes the least mistakes and which coaching staff calls the plays better

HeberFan

PA didn't beat just any 4A team. Warren will likely win the state championship.

Mtnview_14

Warren is a very talented team.  But they are not on PA or Batesvilles level

The_Pioneer

Just ignore Heber.  He hates Batesville.  He'll never agree with anything positive towards the Pioneers.

HeberFan

I don't hate Batesville at all. Just think they are about to play their last game of the season. Nothing wrong with that. They've had a great year

STUNNA

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 24, 2014, 07:20:07 pm

In a one game scenario warren could beat either team. I'm just saying PA has played some solid teams. Unlike some people think.

MDXPHD

Quote from: STUNNA on November 24, 2014, 08:09:13 pm
Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 24, 2014, 07:20:07 pm

In a one game scenario warren could beat either team. I'm just saying PA has played some solid teams. Unlike some people think.

Lets take the one game scenario from this years game then.  PA has played two good teams.  One solid team for the competition they deserve.  Warren is a really good 4a team though.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 24, 2014, 08:45:11 pm
Lets take the one game scenario from this years game then.  PA has played two good teams.  One solid team for the competition they deserve.  Warren is a really good 4a team though.
By comparison, how many good teams has Batesville played?

Mtnview_14

Pulaski academy beat warren 50-21. That doesn't sound like a scenario in which warren could've won.   Warren is a very talented football school. But we have classifications for a reason. 

Mtnview_14

09/05
TBA
@ Watson Chapel   34 - 6
Win
09/12
TBA
Searcy   51 - 7
Win
09/19
TBA
@ Jonesboro   45 - 31
Loss
09/26
TBA
Nettleton   34 - 3
Win
10/03
TBA
@ Paragould   21 - 14
Win
10/10
TBA
Forrest City   23 - 6
Win
10/17
TBA
@ Wynne   34 - 28
Win
10/24
TBA
Blytheville   48 - 0
Win
10/31
7:00p
@ Greene County Tech   40 - 7
Win
11/07
TBA
Valley View   35 - 0
Win
11/14
TBA
Jacksonville   33 - 14
Win
11/21
Greenbrier   41 - 18
Win
11/28
Pulaski Academy

MDXPHD

November 24, 2014, 08:58:51 pm #115 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:03:11 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on November 24, 2014, 08:50:36 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 24, 2014, 08:45:11 pm
By comparison, how many good teams has Batesville played?

I would say two solid teams.  PA know and Batesville both know that they have played a schedule with just a couple of good teams.  The schedules are similar as far as competition goes, in my opinion anyway.

Mtnview_14

So far, their only loss was to 6A semi finalist Jonesboro.  Biggest win was @Wynne

MDXPHD

November 24, 2014, 09:08:45 pm #117 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:14:17 pm by MDXPHD
Also, I'm not sure why HP is praised so highly on here.  I don't think it made it past the second round of the playoffs or even won its conference.

Overdahill

I guess you don't know much about texas high school football if you have to ask

PA Dad

Maybe you should check them out.  They finished 10-2 this year.  When PA played them, they had an 88 game winning streak at home.  Playing in Texas, that is incredible.

And, look at any national rankings you can find.  They're ranked far higher than Jonesboro, Batesville or Wynne.

Mtnview_14

You guys speak like past accomplishments will win this game for you. We all know PA is a very talented private school. Just know this. Batesville is going to rush the QB like he hasn't been rushed all year and the pass coverage will be harder to read than it had all year. We understand that Pulaski academy will have the best offense we will play all year I hope PA is prepared for a physical game. Bc it's going to be a war.  May the best team win

STUNNA

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 24, 2014, 08:55:54 pm
Pulaski academy beat warren 50-21. That doesn't sound like a scenario in which warren could've won.   Warren is a very talented football school. But we have classifications for a reason.

Warren also was still working out there qb problems. This is the same warren team that lost to 7A south side in the last minute of the game. PA is very good. I have not seen Batesville play. So I can only comment on the Bruins!

Maynard G Krebs

Will some Pioneer fan bring a bunch of those fantastic yeast rolls from Elizabeth's on Main Street to the game?

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I am not arguing anything about PA's strength of schedule (or Batesville's).  I have no idea how good Highland Park is, but I would guess that they would at least be on the same level as Jonesboro.  I do think that Wynne is the best win amongst the two teams, but Warren and Camden might be 2nd and 3rd best wins, but in reality, who cares? 

When you are talking about two elite teams in their classification, it's going to be hard to find where they were challenged during the season.  I just don't think either team has been challenged enough to be considered "battle tested."  I think it will simply come down to who executes best on Friday night.  I'm a big fan of Dave King, and Kevin Kelley is one of my best friends.  They are two of the top coaches (with two of the best staffs) in the state with two completely different philosophies.  I think it will be a great game, and I plan on taking at least two of my children to see it if our holiday travel plans work as I hope. 

On another note, as fun as it is to watch great offenses, this game features two of the best defensive coordinators in the state in Stu Smith and Todd Wood.  I don't think it will be a defensive struggle, but seeing  how the defenses try to attack and confuse the offenses will be the fun "game within a game" that will make this game even more enjoyable.

STUNNA

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 24, 2014, 09:48:34 pm
You guys speak like past accomplishments will win this game for you. We all know PA is a very talented private school. Just know this. Batesville is going to rush the QB like he hasn't been rushed all year and the pass coverage will be harder to read than it had all year. We understand that Pulaski academy will have the best offense we will play all year I hope PA is prepared for a physical game. Bc it's going to be a war.  May the best team win

I'm pretty sure Coach Kelly has seen anything and everything from teams in the past that have tried to stop his style of play.

Mtnview_14

I'm sorry you said "Tried". Batesville DID stop his style of play once, and they may very well do it again 

PA Dad

I agree that the defensive strategy will be fun to watch.  PA has so many offensive weapons that no team this year has been able to stop them.  Teams have tried blitzing and dropping 8 in coverage.  In my opinion, whether Batesville will be successful on defense depends upon whether they can get pressure on the quarterback.  If he has time he will complete his passes.  If he is pressured,  he can make poor decisions and make bad throws.

STUNNA

Quote from: Mtnview_14 on November 24, 2014, 10:07:47 pm
I'm sorry you said "Tried". Batesville DID stop his style of play once, and they may very well do it again
Yes they did... But a loss 2 years ago has nothing to do with this game. A lot of the kids playing now weren't on the field that night two years ago. And I am sure both coaches have watched that game film from two years ago to get ready for this game

CIA

Win or lose you can bet it will be physical for our part.  Get ready to hear "ohhhhhh" and "ahhh" from the crowd after some teeth shaking hits.

football3223

Quote from: STUNNA on November 24, 2014, 10:30:48 pm
Yes they did... But a loss 2 years ago has nothing to do with this game. A lot of the kids playing now weren't on the field that night two years ago. And I am sure both coaches have watched that game film from two years ago to get ready for this game
I disagree, it's a mental thing. It's been said over and over again that sports is 90% mental. Those kids from PA who are Seniors remember what their teammates had to say about the aggressiveness Batesville delivered that game. Just check the film Batesville was the more physical team and you could tell they didn't like that. It's just like with Greenbrier having came to Pioneer Stadium during the playoffs the past 4 years and getting it handed to them. You don't think some of those kids in the back of their head aren't thinking this week?

Mtnview_14

Batesville seniors have done nothing but make it to state. It's all they know.  They're hungry for a state title and I think they realize the magnitude of the team that they will need to overcome.  But to be the best, you have to beat the best. And I doubt Batesville would want to play anyone other than the very best

STUNNA

Quote from: football3223 on November 24, 2014, 10:45:03 pm
I disagree, it's a mental thing. It's been said over and over again that sports is 90% mental. Those kids from PA who are Seniors remember what their teammates had to say about the aggressiveness Batesville delivered that game. Just check the film Batesville was the more physical team and you could tell they didn't like that. It's just like with Greenbrier having came to Pioneer Stadium during the playoffs the past 4 years and getting it handed to them. You don't think some of those kids in the back of their head aren't thinking this week?

How many of Batesvilles players on this years team were major contributors on the 2012 team??

Mtnview_14

It's hard to say for sure.  I know many of them atleast rotated in and out and played special teams. I think the Batesville's quarterback started at free safety as a sophmore.  But as for others im not sure.  But I'm sure it's about the same for PA.  Not a huge amount of sophmores Impact upper classification games.    Either way. The seniors on both teams will have to step up and lead

football3223

November 24, 2014, 11:01:20 pm #133 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:03:40 pm by football3223
Quote from: STUNNA on November 24, 2014, 10:52:31 pm

How many of Batesvilles players on this years team were major contributors on the 2012 team??
Shouldn't matter, it's the same coaching staff teaching the same principles of out hitting a team and showing some pride in what they do. Having been through the program it's hard to describe the mental toughness these kids have from doing August practices. It's just something you have to experience. To answer your question I can for sure say two or three.

Side Note: Ask this same question when this group of sophomores are seniors and you'll be shocked as to how much the underclassmen play a part in this team. Multiple sophomores rotating and starting at many positions.

STUNNA

Quote from: football3223 on November 24, 2014, 11:01:20 pm

Shouldn't matter, it's the same coaching staff teaching the same principles of out hitting a team and showing some pride in what they do. Having been through the program it's hard to describe the mental toughness these kids have from doing August practices. It's just something you have to experience. To answer your question I can for sure say two or three.

Side Note: Ask this same question when this group of sophomores are seniors and you'll be shocked as to how much the underclassmen play a part in this team. Multiple sophomores rotating and starting at many positions.
If all this were the case than there is no way that Batesville should have beat Camden Fairviiew in the playoffs last year after getting handled easily at the beginning of last season. These players are not worried about 2 years ago. I'm sure both coaches have changed some of there ways since 2012 and majority of the players will have a lot bigger role this game then they did in 2012. Does that mean PA will win.. That's to be determined but I guarantee all the PA players aren't worried about a game 2 years ago

football3223

Quote from: STUNNA on November 24, 2014, 11:20:34 pm
Quote from: football3223 on November 24, 2014, 11:01:20 pm

If all this were the case than there is no way that Batesville should have beat Camden Fairviiew in the playoffs last year after getting handled easily at the beginning of last season. These players are not worried about 2 years ago. I'm sure both coaches have changed some of there ways since 2012 and majority of the players will have a lot bigger role this game then they did in 2012. Does that mean PA will win.. That's to be determined but I guarantee all the PA players aren't worried about a game 2 years ago
Handle easily? Batesville was up 10-0 at half and you flipped the script I was referring to Batesville's physicality not Camdens, you see what I'm saying? And good they shouldn't be worried about a game two years ago but they should be worried about this Friday night when Batesville comes to town. That's all I have to say for the week. Everyone have a good Thanksgiving and safe travels. 

FD4

To Future, I love your analogy about "on that night" who the better team is.  Against us at Wynne, Batesville was, no excuses, we should have beat Batesville by at least two scores, we didn't.  Nuff said about that. 

To Coach DePriest, Batesville played and beat Wynne, they put 34 on us, something that is absolutely hard to do, against one of the top defenses in the state, all classifications included, while playing some plan B guys (Wynne) because of certain reasons to season opening starters no longer in positions.

Now I know I only mention Wynne, simply because I know Wynne.  Forrest City was frosty, and Jonesboro was good too, so in my book, PA and Batesville are perhaps even.  Just like the East, Central has two dominate football teams in it and several good.  Overall I would score the Central a 4 and the East a 3 in a humble power rating.  4 being slightly higher.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on November 24, 2014, 09:29:04 pm
Maybe you should check them out.  They finished 10-2 this year.  When PA played them, they had an 88 game winning streak at home.  Playing in Texas, that is incredible.

And, look at any national rankings you can find.  They're ranked far higher than Jonesboro, Batesville or Wynne.

Quote from: Overdahill on November 24, 2014, 09:27:03 pm
I guess you don't know much about texas high school football if you have to ask

They have three state championships, with their most recent coming in 05'.  They didn't win their conference this season and got ousted in the second round of their playoffs. 
Coach DePriest,

I agree that HP and Jonesboro may be on the same level, but like you said, it doesn't matter at this point.  The defensive matchup will be fun to watch.  It's going to be interesting to see if PA gets flustered or frustrated when their offense isn't clicking, because it won't be clicking the entire game.  They kept their composure against CF early though, so this may not be an issue.

MDXPHD

Quote from: FD4 on November 25, 2014, 08:11:55 am
To Future, I love your analogy about "on that night" who the better team is.  Against us at Wynne, Batesville was, no excuses, we should have beat Batesville by at least two scores, we didn't.  Nuff said about that. 

lol

FD4

MDX, I say that because of a TD Batesville got where the receiver stepped on the out line and was the first to touch the ball, our guy quit on the play and the receiver (Batesville's #4) made a great catch in the field of play and ran it on in from around 20 or so, the side judge didn't see the step on the line, and our guy said he did make the catch in the endzone which was ruled a trapped ball on a 4th down play.  That's all there was too it, that equates to a two score swing.  But that is how it goes.  No complaints.  It was a very good game.

The_Pioneer

The Wynne Excuse Matrix is hard at work.

Intelligentsia

Likely an "if" or two from the Batesville side that would have materialized had they lost.  As it is, it is, it was a mixed blessing for Wynne.  I'm just glad those two calls were made at Wynne - had the same calls been made at Batesville, the accusations of home cooking would have been endless :o

Overdahill

Speaking of home cooking I could sure go for some this Friday night if its on the menu😃

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Overdahill on November 25, 2014, 04:13:49 pm
Speaking of home cooking I could sure go for some this Friday night if its on the menu😃

If you're a PA fan you'll get it!

The_Pioneer

Hey, we've just gotten lucky and gotten all the calls while winning 6 out of 8 from them.  Pure fluke.

Razorback Red

When two very good teams play, I like to assume both will play well.  If that happens, I like PA in a close one.  I just think the overall edge in athleticism will prevail. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: Razorback Red on November 25, 2014, 06:01:36 pm
When two very good teams play, I like to assume both will play well.  If that happens, I like PA in a close one.  I just think the overall edge in athleticism will prevail.

It didn't with Wynne.  They are more athletic and have more speed than Batesville, overall speed anyway.  I think both teams play well but Batesville will force some turnovers.  Batesville doesn't turn the ball over much.  I think it will be a 3-7 point game though.

PA Dad

Well, I've refrained from making a prediction because I haven't seen Batesville play.  But, after reading all of the posts, I'll hazard a prediction.  I think Batesville will have serious problems with PA's speed based on their performance against Jonesboro and Wynne.  So, I say PA will win but it will be a close game.

PA Dad

I should add that Hooten's says PA will win by 2, and Hooten's can't be wrong!

The Future

Quote from: PA Dad on November 25, 2014, 10:38:04 pm
I should add that Hooten's says PA will win by 2, and Hooten's can't be wrong!

They also picked PA by 21 in 2012 :)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas