• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA scrimmaged Bryant tonight.....

Started by Yellowcake, August 23, 2016, 09:38:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowcake

Played like a real game but without punt and KO returns. 49-7 at half. PA had the 49. They looked decent, but plenty to work on. Left at half.

TNT_15

IAFLAR7

Quote from: TNT_15 on August 23, 2016, 10:08:40 pm
Ended 69-7 😁
And probably no tackling of the QB & each team has their own objectives, etc.
Make no mistake about it, they would never beat them like that in a real game.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 23, 2016, 10:43:17 pm
And probably no tackling of the QB & each team has their own objectives, etc.
Make no mistake about it, they would never beat them like that in a real game.

It was a live game, the only thing no live was kicks and punts.  QBs were live and were sacked plenty, especially Bryant's.  Their O-Line has A LOT to work on.  Benton may mercy rule in the Salt Bowl next week.

purpleswag

I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you for sure but I doubt any team doesn't care about getting beat that badly even in a scrimmage.

They probably played a lot of guys that won't play much through the season, but they had their best out on the field at first and still got smoked.

MDXPHD

purpleswag

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 24, 2016, 07:04:25 am
Order their rings!
If PA lost you would have crowed about how this proves they can't compete with 7A. If they win, it doesn't matter. 

I will say this, but it must be hard to be a PA hater when they haven't lost a game in the state in over 2 years.

AirWarren

zebradynasty

Scrimmage or not getting it handed to you like that...not a good sign! The coaching change I'm sure didn't help and if Benton blows them out then some might start to grumble but Buck starts slow not sure why his schemes are not that complex but it was just a scrimmage game but sounds like there might be some late practices coming for Bryant.

7AFBFAN

HorseFeathers

So the coach that caught flack last year for running up the score...drops 69 on a team in a scrimmage, geez

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 24, 2016, 09:13:40 am
So the coach that caught flack last year for running up the score...drops 69 on a team in a scrimmage, geez

Yes. It's called little man syndrome.

STBruin

It's not called Little Man's syndrome...it's called executing and getting ready for the season...it was 49-7 at halftime...after halftime JV kids intermixed with varsity kids on both sides of the ball...scored 1 more time in the 3rd qtr...and an all JV team...led by 9th grade QBs...played the entire 4th qtr...PA is retruning 5 starters on offense...and 3 on defense, so you have got to know who is going to be able to contribute and who wont...only someone who wasn't there would say PA was running up the score.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 24, 2016, 09:13:40 am
Those poor disadvantaged kids at Bryant. Not sure how they'll recover.

AirWarren

No excuses of Bryant losing like that. Period. They should be able to field a team that could match PA. As many kids they have in that school.

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2016, 10:31:37 am
No excuses of Bryant losing like that. Period. They should be able to field a team that could match PA. As many kids they have in that school.

Yep, I would say there are some serious problems in the land of the Blue Hornets. Could be a very long year for them ahead.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2016, 10:31:37 am

No reason to score 69 in a scrimmage either

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on August 24, 2016, 08:32:01 am
If PA lost you would have crowed about how this proves they can't compete with 7A. If they win, it doesn't matter. 

I will say this, but it must be hard to be a PA hater when they haven't lost a game in the state in over 2 years.

It's one of the easiest things I've done.

PA will have some competition this year when the playoffs come around.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 24, 2016, 10:42:05 am
It's one of the easiest things I've done.

PA will have some competition this year when the playoffs come around.

The season hasn't even started yet, so I think it is way too early to crown PA as champs.  I sincerely hope the we have a number of good teams this year who can challenge PA, Batesville, Wynne and other top teams.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: STBruin on August 24, 2016, 10:08:24 am
It's not called Little Man's syndrome...

Sure it is...especially during the season running the score up like.

When you're still onside kicking with a four TD lead that's just ridiculous. There is no explanation on this earth, not one, to validate doing that a whole game.

It's what we normal folk like to call....making up for something not achieved at an earlier age.

And I don't dislike PA. Never have. But i do call it like I see it.

STBruin

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 24, 2016, 10:54:30 am
Sure it is...especially during the season running the score up like.

When you're still onside kicking with a four TD lead that's just ridiculous. There is no explanation on this earth, not one, to validate doing that a whole game.

It's what we normal folk like to call....making up for something not achieved at an earlier age.

And I don't dislike PA. Never have. But i do call it like I see it.

then come to a game...there aren't onside kicks with a 4 TD lead...he plays starters until the mercy rule is in effect...and then pulls them...last year...JV kids played most of the 2nd half of most games...with 0 balls thrown deep...running the ball or throwing screens...I get it...people don't like private schools...PERIOD...but calling it like you see it...when was the last time you came to a PA game?

the voice

I guess I'm just old school football, the mercy rule was put in to force teams to back off because some were not. In my opinion trying to get up by 35 on a team is part of the problem. It's like some think it's ok to continue to score because the rule isn't in effect. It's painful to see that's what sportsmanship has come to today where people are defending running up the score because they aren't up by 35. 

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on August 24, 2016, 11:19:32 am
I guess I'm just old school football, the mercy rule was put in to force teams to back off because some were not. In my opinion trying to get up by 35 on a team is part of the problem. It's like some think it's ok to continue to score because the rule isn't in effect. It's painful to see that's what sportsmanship has come to today where people are defending running up the score because they aren't up by 35.

So what is acceptable?  Is it ok to get up by 21?  What if you're up by 21 and  put the JV in?  Should the JV just kneel the ball every play?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  But, no one is the exclusive arbiter of sportsmanship.  It may be in the eye of the beholder, at least in close cases.

STBruin

Quote from: the voice on August 24, 2016, 11:19:32 am

I agree...when I was in high school...35pts was A LOT of scoring...but today with the way these offenses are, its not unheard of to put 35pts up in 1 quarter.

Overdahill

The sportsmanship rule is designed to shorten a game that is not competitive. It accomplishes this and it is a benefit to players and fans. Once you pull the starters it is a benefit that everyone else gets playing time. It would be disrespectful to opponents IMO to take a knee early and often rather than keep playing, especially after you have cleared the benches. I hate one sided games as much as the next person. I wish there was a power conference just for football

STBruin

Quote from: Overdahill on August 24, 2016, 11:32:30 am
The sportsmanship rule is designed to shorten a game that is not competitive. It accomplishes this and it is a benefit to players and fans. Once you pull the starters it is a benefit that everyone else gets playing time. It would be disrespectful to opponents IMO to take a knee early and often rather than keep playing, especially after you have cleared the benches. I hate one sided games as much as the next person. I wish there was a power conference just for football

makes perfectly good sense...

the voice

August 24, 2016, 11:41:00 am #27 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:59:56 am by the voice
I agree there's no simple rule as it is a case by case basis. Yes teams score quickly in some cases more today. One sided games aren't fun for anyone. I'm entitled to my opinion yes as are others. I do hate to hear people justifying running the score up. Maybe I'm wrong in some people's eyes , as it seems to be acceptable today .

HorseFeathers

Quote from: the voice on August 24, 2016, 11:41:00 am
I agree there's no simple rule as it is a case by case basis. Yes teams score quickly in some cases more today. One sided games aren't fun for anyone. I'm entitled to my opinion yes as are others. I do hate to hear people justifying running the score up. Maybe I'm wrong in some people's eyes , but it seems to be acceptable today .

seems to me, that most people justify it with, they should have stopped us...

GuvHog

Quote from: Overdahill on August 24, 2016, 11:32:30 am

I agree with you about taking a knee early and often, that is indeed disrespectful to the other team but refusing to punt anywhere on the field, onside kicking, and throwing the ball all over the field when up by 4 TDs or more is just as bad and some high School teams do all of those things. I've personally seen some High school coaches keep their starters in even though they have the game won to score more points so as to totally humiliate their teams opponent.

the voice

I agree on the taking a knee. That's what is always said. You don't have to take a knee. If you truly pull starters and play the Jv players that's one thing. You can go conservative in play choice. No one wants to see a team taking a knee the entire second half. Some say you should have stopped them , well obviously they can't or the score wouldn't be what it is. Kicking onside when up big margin and throwing the ball down the field is wrong at those times. I'm not accusing anyone of that as I haven't witnessed it. But that would be uncalled for IMO.

Steve Perry 2.11

LOL....sugarcoat, dress it up, put a cape on it and let it fight crime....., whatever it takes to justify that style of play. It's just sorry a$$ sportsmanship to perfectly honest with you.

What you morons don't realize is that I know quite a few people from LR, and in particular, parents of recent PA grads......know what one of 'em told me.... "one of these days it's going to come back to bite us in the rear for running the score up like we do"...that was two seasons ago from this football year when that statement was made.

Hey....I was always a fan of PA's up until I heard some close friends from PA(along with all the haters of PA) make the above comments.....I don't hate them like a lot of people do...I'm just neutral to the whole situation.

You guys aren't nearly as cocky as Shiloh was back in the day(mid 2000's). Now I truly hated some of those posters.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 24, 2016, 01:22:59 pm
LOL....sugarcoat, dress it up, put a cape on it and let it fight crime....., whatever it takes to justify that style of play. It's just sorry a$$ sportsmanship to perfectly honest with you.

What you morons don't realize is that I know quite a few people from LR, and in particular, parents of recent PA grads......know what one of 'em told me.... "one of these days it's going to come back to bite us in the rear for running the score up like we do"...that was two seasons ago from this football year when that statement was made.

Hey....I was always a fan of PA's up until I heard some close friends from PA(along with all the haters of PA) make the above comments.....I don't hate them like a lot of people do...I'm just neutral to the whole situation.

You guys aren't nearly as cocky as Shiloh was back in the day(mid 2000's). Now I truly hated some of those posters.

They were literally the worst posters on this board.  Ever.

There were/are a couple of good ones, but the bad ones were just terrible, terrible people.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on August 24, 2016, 01:46:15 pm
They were literally the worst posters on this board.  Ever.

There were/are a couple of good ones, but the bad ones were just terrible, terrible people.

You couldn't even talk to them. Was like talking to 3rd graders.

AirWarren

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 24, 2016, 01:53:30 pm
You couldn't even talk to them. Was like talking to 3rd graders.

There is still a couple of people like that on the 4a board.

FD4

Hey Dad, once back a few years ago, Coach McClellan took Barton to McCrory for a game during the regular season.  the score got a bit out of hand, and in fact the game was over after the first half.  Barton put their A team starters in for the first possession of the third quarter.  After that, and I am not sure if were an agreement between the McCrory coach and Barton, but what they said was, Barton would take a knee on every down after that and let McCrory stay on offense the rest of the game.  Sounded like a class act to me.  The Jags were in that slump they experienced.  Is what it is.  Thanks for praising Wynne too, we came up short against Searcy last night, 29 to 24, but as Coach Hill said, he was looking to play a lot of #2's and 3's to see who wants some and who can step up when needed.  Also, didn't show his play book either.  As for PA you either love em or hate em.  You love it when you can stay with them or beat them, and you hate it when you lose to them.  Kelly is a tough coach to beat.

AirWarren

Maynard G Krebs

IAFLAR7

What is the thinking behind these out of state games they're playing?
Has there ever been any discussion of playing some non-conference games in state vs. teams like Greenwood, Fayetteville, Bentonvolle, etc?

AirWarren

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 24, 2016, 02:38:54 pm
Has there ever been any discussion of playing some non-conference games in state vs. teams like Greenwood, Fayetteville, Bentonvolle, etc?

PA and their fanbase is above anything greenwood or NWA. They want to schedule games in Dallas, Cali, or FL.

STBruin

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2016, 02:49:25 pm
PA and their fanbase is above anything greenwood or NWA. They want to schedule games in Dallas, Cali, or FL.

Fayetteville is playing 2 out of state teams...HarBer is playing 2 out of state teams...and Bentonville is playing 2 out of state teams...so what is your point?

PA Dad

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 24, 2016, 02:38:54 pm

I'm sure Kelley would love to play those teams, but, as has been said on this board many times, it's a no win situation for the 6A/7A teams.  If they win, they should have.  If they lose, they get embarrassed.  But if you can set up a game with one of those teams, I'd almost guarantee you that Kelley would jump on it.

PA Dad

August 24, 2016, 04:35:03 pm #42 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:03:42 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on August 24, 2016, 01:22:59 pm

I've been to every PA game for the last three years.  Kelley plays the starters for the first half regardless of the score.  If the game is in hand, he plays backups the second half.  And, once the game is in hand, he doesn't onside kick and he punts on fourth down.

In most games, he could pull the starters after one quarter.  But, in my opinion, that would not be fair to the players.  It limits their chance to have decent statistics to try to make all state or all conference or the Democrat super team.  It might also limit their chance to get a college scholarship.  Kelley has an obligation to his players as well as an obligation  to be a good sport.

When the second team is in the game, should they not play hard?

And, you never answered my questions above.  Is 21 points acceptable?  Should the PA QB just take a knee when the game is in hand?

You obviously have a strong opinion and are not reticent about voicing it.  But, there are two sides to every argument.

PA Dad

Quote from: FD4 on August 24, 2016, 02:08:33 pm
Hey Dad, once back a few years ago, Coach McClellan took Barton to McCrory for a game during the regular season.  the score got a bit out of hand, and in fact the game was over after the first half.  Barton put their A team starters in for the first possession of the third quarter.  After that, and I am not sure if were an agreement between the McCrory coach and Barton, but what they said was, Barton would take a knee on every down after that and let McCrory stay on offense the rest of the game.  Sounded like a class act to me.  The Jags were in that slump they experienced.  Is what it is.  Thanks for praising Wynne too, we came up short against Searcy last night, 29 to 24, but as Coach Hill said, he was looking to play a lot of #2's and 3's to see who wants some and who can step up when needed.  Also, didn't show his play book either.  As for PA you either love em or hate em.  You love it when you can stay with them or beat them, and you hate it when you lose to them.  Kelly is a tough coach to beat.

I don't know that taking a knee is a class act.  To me, it demeans the other team.  It basically says that we are so much better than you that we don't even need to try.  But, I can see the other side of that argument too.

AirWarren

Quote from: STBruin on August 24, 2016, 04:21:35 pm
Fayetteville is playing 2 out of state teams...HarBer is playing 2 out of state teams...and Bentonville is playing 2 out of state teams...so what is your point?

It's a joke, newb. The pa fans on here know it. Lighten up Francis.

STBruin

Quote from: AirWarren on August 24, 2016, 04:49:42 pm
It's a joke, newb. The pa fans on here know it. Lighten up Francis.

My bad...didn't know anyone on here had a sense of humor!!!!! Thanks for proving me wrong...AirWarren

MDXPHD

Quote from: STBruin on August 24, 2016, 04:58:24 pm
My bad...didn't know anyone on here had a sense of humor!!!!! Thanks for proving me wrong...AirWarren

If you are a PA fan, you're gonna have to lighten up some. Can't take everything so serious on here.

Maynard G Krebs

Warren will score 70 on LRC next week

mijally

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 24, 2016, 11:48:28 am
seems to me, that most people justify it with, they should have stopped us...
That's the philosophy we used to have when I played 30 plus years ago. Stop them. One way or another. If we couldn't do it within the rules we would do it outside of them. With cheap shots and dirty play. Youre not gonna embarrass me. Punk or be punked right?  You gotta give it to a bully or they won't stop. Like McClellan did at the end of last years game.  Late hits and cheap shots. And all the coaches back then knew that's how the game was gonna go so the ones who cared about the health and safety of their players didn't do it.

STUNNA

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas