• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pocahontas vs. Blytheville

Started by bigchief72455, August 16, 2016, 03:04:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigchief72455

Grond

Hmmm..... ok, let's 'wargame' this.

I know more about Blytheville personnel wise. While I don't know Pocahontas as well, I see Pocy play at least once a year.

Both of these schools have really good coaching staffs. It WILL be a chess match.

Pocy will try to stop Bly's D1 running back. So, my guess is that they will put 8 defenders "in the box". Even at that, Bly RB will be tough to stop (nod to the Bly o-line).

The big question will be Blytheville's  passing game; they got their QB back, but they lost some D2 level receivers. Will Bly be able to generate enough passing to open up the run?

Pocy is sooo good at fakes in the backfield: will they be able to run outside the Blytheville defense - and be successful?

But I think Clark (Bly RB) will be too tough: Bly 35 - Pocy 21

bigchief72455

Quote from: Grond on August 17, 2016, 09:29:22 pm
Hmmm..... ok, let's 'wargame' this.

I know more about Blytheville personnel wise. While I don't know Pocahontas as well, I see Pocy play at least once a year.

Both of these schools have really good coaching staffs. It WILL be a chess match.

Pocy will try to stop Bly's D1 running back. So, my guess is that they will put 8 defenders "in the box". Even at that, Bly RB will be tough to stop (nod to the Bly o-line).

The big question will be Blytheville's  passing game; they got their QB back, but they lost some D2 level receivers. Will Bly be able to generate enough passing to open up the run?

Pocy is sooo good at fakes in the backfield: will they be able to run outside the Blytheville defense - and be successful?

But I think Clark (Bly RB) will be too tough: Bly 35 - Pocy 21
I know more about Pocahontas so I will contribute. Its not about how many you put in the box. It is who. The Redskins return a very talented defense anchored by their D1 mlb. This is the same defense that held Blackmon to under 100 yards at Gosnell last year. They are not strangers to facing a D1 level rb. The secondary has also improved with a crew of 4.6 speed defenders.
Offensively the Redskins will bring their same quick pace offense as before. New qb that is smart and lightening quick. He is protected by a very large(and mobile) O-line that averages over 300 pounds.
Clark will be tough for sure but I believe the defense will keep him in check.
Defense is going to be the key to victory for either side.: Poc 40- Bly 21

MDXPHD

bigchief72455

Pokey03

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 18, 2016, 07:55:34 am
I know more about Pocahontas so I will contribute. Its not about how many you put in the box. It is who. The Redskins return a very talented defense anchored by their D1 mlb. This is the same defense that held Blackmon to under 100 yards at Gosnell last year. They are not strangers to facing a D1 level rb. The secondary has also improved with a crew of 4.6 speed defenders.
Offensively the Redskins will bring their same quick pace offense as before. New qb that is smart and lightening quick. He is protected by a very large(and mobile) O-line that averages over 300 pounds.
+1

MDXPHD

Pokey03

MDXPHD

Is it a benefit game or a scrimmage?

bigchief72455

MDXPHD

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 19, 2016, 08:06:02 am
Scrimmage

Never mind then. I take my prediction back. It's ridiculous to even predict a score of a meaningless scrimmage game.

the voice

Unlikely the skill position starters play much , being a thread started on this I thought it was a game.

Pokey03

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 19, 2016, 01:26:37 pm
Never mind then. I take my prediction back. It's ridiculous to even predict a score of a meaningless scrimmage game.
And why is it "meaningless"?

Grond

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 18, 2016, 07:55:34 am

Good response. Wish I could be there to see the game. (Especially the first half.)

OB11

Quote from: Pokey03 on August 19, 2016, 04:09:57 pm
And why is it "meaningless"?

Because most schools don't even game plan for a scrimmage.  They just run their base plays and defense without making much preparation for the opponent.  Just lets the coaches see their teams at game speed instead of practice speed.

The_Pioneer

This is Pocahontas' chance to prove that they are for real.  Practice game champions!!

MDXPHD

Chief-Chickasaw

My understanding the score was 28-6 All Blytheville in the Half of live football they played. I wasn't there for the scrimmage that's just what I'm hearing.

bigchief72455

Blytheville was outstanding. They are tough and should be a contender for the 5A East crown. Much improved from last year.

Grond

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 23, 2016, 10:14:06 pm
Blytheville was outstanding. They are tough and should be a contender for the 5A East crown. Much improved from last year.

That is scary.  :o

MikeDieselâ„¢

Sounds like they each played 15 offensive plays.  And Blytheville ran at will (which was expected).  But, the QB play was pretty good also.  Beyond that, that's about what you can get from it.  Pocahontas will still be GREAT in their conference and will probably run away with it.  Blytheville will still be very competitive in the 5A East with a good chance of winning it outright and getting that home game in the playoffs this year (I know..you Batesville and Wynne fans...you still have a little to say about that.:)   

It wouldn't surprise me if Blytheville and Pokey playing meaningful conference games in the next cycle as our current numbers are within 5 of so students of Huntsville's numbers in this cycle.  So, this is a good game for both just to see how they stack up (and I don't really care about the score, just how the teams executed their plays). 

Let's get started.  Week 1 is fast approaching and the games start counting!

The_Pioneer

How weird would it be for a city the size of Blytheville to drop down again? 

OB11

Quote from: The_Pioneer on August 24, 2016, 04:31:52 pm

Not all that weird if you consider there are 3 schools (4 if you count Cooter in Missouri) within 10-15 minutes of each other.  KIPP could also pull kids from the Blytheville district.

bigchief72455

Quote from: The_Pioneer on August 24, 2016, 04:31:52 pm
It could happen. The enrollment numbers keep dropping and a team like Brookland in the 4A keeps growing. Geographically it would make sense for them to swap.

The_Pioneer

I keep hoping Batesville Southside moves up to 5A....

GuvHog

Quote from: OB11 on August 24, 2016, 07:17:47 pm
Not all that weird if you consider there are 3 schools (4 if you count Cooter in Missouri) within 10-15 minutes of each other.  KIPP could also pull kids from the Blytheville district.

I find it odd that with the population of Mississippi County being as sparse as it is, they have at least 6 school districts in that county. That is a lot.

Missco

6 districts is not a lot in a county of around 38000-39000. Blytheville  has 4 school districts. Kipp, Gosnell, Blytheville and Armorel.

Big Country

Gosnell and Armorel are close to Blytheville but not part of the Blytheville school dist.

Missco

Part of the city limits of Blytheville are in all 3 districts. It is all the same place.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on August 26, 2016, 11:46:39 am
Part of the city limits of Blytheville are in all 3 districts. It is all the same place.

It's like Jonesboro with JHS, Nettleton, VV, Westside, and Brookland. You throw in Ridgefield Christian and you have 6 schools with either all, or part of their school district in the city limits.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 26, 2016, 11:59:24 am
It's like Jonesboro with JHS, Nettleton, VV, Westside, and Brookland. You throw in Ridgefield Christian and you have 6 schools with either all, or part of their school district in the city limits.

Craighead County has a much larger population than Mississippi County does so having a large number of school districts there makes more sense.

bigchief72455

They need 2 school districts there at the most.

MDXPHD

Saw where Blytheville's Junior offensive lineman got offered by Kansas I believe. Congratulations to him.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 26, 2016, 04:04:04 pm
Saw where Blytheville's Junior offensive lineman got offered by Kansas I believe. Congratulations to him.
yeah great kid. He has several other schools showing interest great to have him finally break through with that 1st D1 offer

Overdahill

Their football has been down of late but KU is a great school and beautiful campus. hope it works out for the young man.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Overdahill on August 26, 2016, 04:57:14 pm
Their football has been down of late but KU is a great school and beautiful campus. hope it works out for the young man.

It has been. It's a good start for a junior though.

Overdahill

Chief-Chickasaw

He's received interest from Arkansas Missouri Tennessee Oklahoma. He's been getting mail from Bama FSU Ole Miss. Great kid I'm so proud of him.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 26, 2016, 01:15:10 pm
Craighead County has a much larger population than Mississippi County does so having a large number of school districts there makes more sense.

I don't care if each county has one school district, but these district boundaries were set long before there was growth or contraction in the cities/counties. Whether or not they need to, or wish to consolidate is up to the voters. Fayetteville and Conway are as large or larger than Jonesboro and have one school district, so population has nothing to do with a district's boundaries, which was my original point before you incorrectly added you miss guided thoughts.

bigchief72455

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2016, 05:52:57 am
I don't care if each county has one school district, but these district boundaries were set long before there was growth or contraction in the cities/counties. Whether or not they need to, or wish to consolidate is up to the voters. Fayetteville and Conway are as large or larger than Jonesboro and have one school district, so population has nothing to do with a district's boundaries, which was my original point before you incorrectly added you miss guided thoughts.
It does effect funding though.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2016, 05:52:57 am

My thoughts aren't misguided. I've believed all along that there should only be 3 districts in Mississippi County.

ricepig

Quote from: bigchief72455 on August 27, 2016, 11:29:32 am
It does effect funding though.

Which hasn't been questioned, funding is based on average daily attendance, and property taxes.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 27, 2016, 01:23:04 pm
My thoughts aren't misguided. I've believed all along that there should only be 3 districts in Mississippi County.

Then why make the comment on the districts in Jonesboro, the two aren't congruent.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2016, 03:08:06 pm
Then why make the comment on the districts in Jonesboro, the two aren't congruent.

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2016, 03:08:06 pm

My point was Mississippi County isn't like Craighead County so it doesn't need as many school districts as Craighead County has. Mississippi County is much less populated than Craighead County.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 27, 2016, 06:49:28 pm
My point was Mississippi County isn't like Craighead County so it doesn't need as many school districts as Craighead County has. Mississippi County is much less populated than Craighead County.

Well, Jefferson County doesn't need as many either, but try to get the local districts to merge, lol.

Missco

Arkansas doesn't have near as many districts as some states. Missouri has over 600. Every town almost has a school. They have some tiny districts. Some with less than 150 k-12. They have around 100 with less than 350 k-12.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Missco on August 27, 2016, 11:07:10 pm
Arkansas doesn't have near as many districts as some states. Missouri has over 600. Every town almost has a school. They have some tiny districts. Some with less than 150 k-12. They have around 100 with less than 350 k-12.
That is wild. I never knew that.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 27, 2016, 07:27:31 pm
Well, Jefferson County doesn't need as many either, but try to get the local districts to merge, lol.

We only have 4 districts and one does need to merge with one of the other districts. When a school can't even afford to make their football field playable forcing the team to play all of their games elsewhere, they have serious financial problems.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas