• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A Fan Poll - Preseason Top Ten (VOTE HERE FOR WEEK 2)

Started by AT, August 08, 2016, 01:07:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

August 08, 2016, 01:07:29 pm Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:16:30 pm by Almatrackster
5A FAN POLL PRESEASON TOP TEN
1. Pulaski Academy - 150 (15) - The unanimous #1 is coming off their 2nd straight state championship. They finished last season 14-0. Can anyone knock the Bruins off their perch or will this senior class win their 3rd straight championship?

2. Batesville - 117 - The Pioneers are coming off another State Semifinal appearance where they lost to Little Rock McClellan by 5. Batesville has been a staple of consistency in 5A, but hasn't won the big one since 2003. Can Batesville get the proverbial monkey off their back and win another state championship?

3. Alma - 111 - The Airedales come back down from 6A where they lost in the quarterfinals to Jonesboro for the 2nd straight year. They certainly didn't dominate 6A, but didn't roll over and get trampled on either. Will their step down in classification prove to be easier and give the Airedales a shot at the state title? Can they come back in and win the 5A West again like they did before moving in? The Airedales are looking to recreate the magic they had in the late 90s.

4. Little Rock McClellan - 104 - The state runner ups from last year were quite the surprise. They even held a halftime lead in the state championship game. The Lions won't be able to sneak up on anyone this year, though. Can McClellan remain consistent with success? Will they get revenge against the Bruins in conference and/or a state championship game?

5. Wynne - 91 - The Yellowjackets are another model of 5A consistency. Coming off last year's quarterfinals loss to Little Rock Christian, Wynne will be looking to win a top heavy 5A East and get the seeding necessary to make it as far as possible in the State Tournament. Can Wynne beat their rivals Batesville and make it back to the state championship game like they did 2 years ago?

6. Blytheville - 56 - The Chickasaws have been on an upswing ever since Coach Fisher took over and had that breakthrough season last year. They were Co-5A East champions with Batesville and Wynne. They did lose in the first round of the playoffs to Hope, though. Will Blytheville be able to sustain their success and make it further in the playoffs? The Chickasaws want to win a sole 5A East conference crown and make a deep playoff run.

7. Morrilton - 55 - The last team to win a state championship not named Pulaski Academy? That would be the Devil Dogs. Morrilton's conference does gain Alma, who was the only 5A team to beat Morrilton their state championship year. Morrilton only lost by two points to the eventual state runner ups McClellan in the first round of the playoffs last year. The Devil Dogs are looking for that 2013 magic to come back this year and win the 5A West crown and make another deep playoff run.

8. Little Rock Christian - 51 - The Warriors were the #2 team basically of all last year where they finished the regular season undefeated and won the 5A West crown. They make the move to the Central where they will have to face the team that knocked them off in the semifinals last year, Pulaski Academy. LRC lost a lot of seniors and many people say that's too much to replace, which is probably a big reason they are #8 coming off an undefeated year. Are they still a top 10 team? Can they still make a deep playoff run?

9. Watson Chapel - 35 - The Wildcats are the first 5A South team to show up in this poll. Many people do think the 5A South is looking at a down year, though. Will the Wildcats really win the conference? Can they prove that they deserve a much higher ranking if they do? They only lost by 7 in the first round of the playoffs to Batesville last year.

10. Greenbrier - 16 - The Panthers are looking to sneak back up in the top 5 of these rankings like they used to be. Coach Tribble has set a high standard in such a short time there that these past few years are seen as down years. Greenbrier hasn't had a lot of playoff success, though. Can they not only have a good regular season, but make a deep playoff run and not play Batesville like they seemingly do every year?

Other teams receiving votes:
11. Hot Springs Lakeside - 13, 12. Camden Fairview - 12, 13. Hope - 7, 14. Sylvan Hills - 4, 15. Hot Springs - 3

Pollsters: 15
Almatrackster, Fred Bird, PA Dad, Hoghead2, GuvHog, MDXPHD, Chip, j-mann raider 02, Youngsta71701, pantherblue, Overdahill, the voice, The Future, Jackets3, Chief_Osceola

Overdahill

PA Dad

This looks like a reasonable guess to start the year.  But, there will be surprise teams and upsets and I bet the poll looks much different after 3-4 weeks of the season.

AT

Who do the Top 10 Teams Play? - Week 1
1. Pulaski Academy @ OK-Sand Springs Page

What does this game mean for Pulaski Academy?
First off, I'm sure Pulaski Academy wants to keep the winning streak going. Secondly, it means Arkansas looks good against a solid Oklahoma team. In terms of what to think, unless Pulaski Academy blows them out or gets blown out, I don't think it means much. A good win and not a bad loss out of conference. I could see PA keep their number one ranking with a close loss.

2. Batesville @ Jonesboro

What does this game mean for Batesville?
It's hard to say if this is a rivalry game since they just started playing 5 years ago and Batesville hasn't won yet. But if Batesville was to finally win, I think the 5A would see Batesville as an even bigger threat. I don't think a close loss would do much to the Pioneers, but a blowout could hurt their ranking in this poll.

3. Alma vs. Van Buren

What does this game mean for Alma?
It's a big rivalry game, but with Alma's dominance in this rivalry the past decade, I don't think fans will think much of a win, no matter how big it is. I do think a loss will hurt Alma's rankings quite a bit no matter how good VB is because VB won't look good for fans until they show it later in the season.

4. Little Rock McClellan - OPEN

5. Wynne vs. Marion

What does this game mean for Wynne?
Marion has definitely been improving as a program, even if it is slightly. I think Wynne winning here could give them a bit of a boost depending on what happens in front of them. I think a loss could hurt them a bit. Marion is a wildcard this year, so it's hard to say what this game will mean.

6. Blytheville vs. Osceola

What does this game mean for Blytheville?
I don't know much about Osceola this year, but I know they are a lower class team who hasn't done much in that class for awhile. Even if they turn out to be very good this year, most fans will see this as a Week 1 game that Blytheville needs to win comfortably to keep their lofty rankings. A loss could hurt them quite a bit.

7. Morrilton @ Russellville

What does this game mean for Russellville?
Honestly, with Coach Dawson's program change at Russellville, if Morrilton wins this game I think they could get quite the boost in the rankings. Remember, the year they won state in 2013, they lost to Russellville and I don't that year's Cyclone team was as good as this year's one is. A loss won't do much to them in the rankings, unless it's a blowout or teams behind them have great showings.

8. Little Rock Christian vs. Warren

What does this game mean for Little Rock Christian?
With all the losses that LRC has suffered, I think a win against a high quality 4A opponent would put a big boost in their rankings. With a lot of fans already being wary of where they ranked them, I could see LRC dropping even with a close loss. Maybe not. It just depends on what people think of Warren. A blowout would definitely drop them.

9. Watson Chapel vs. Pine Bluff Dollarway

What does this game mean for Watson Chapel?
Watson Chapel is a big question mark this year for a lot of people, as is the whole 5A South. PB Dollarway hasn't had much success in the 4A Playoffs, but they've beaten some good teams before such as Warren. I think Chapel just needs to win and whatever happens around them will decide their ranking. A loss will probably drop them out of the top 10.

10. Greenbrier vs. Beebe

What does this game mean for Greenbrier?
This series is tied 8-8 and that sounds exactly right. This game as had the better team lose (after looking back on the year) multiple times both ways. A Greenbrier blowout would probably mean something to the fans, though. I think a loss would drop them out of the top 10, but I wouldn't count them out because of it.

PA Dad

Good analysis, as always.

I think the most interesting game is Warren vs. LRCA.  Warren is supposed to have a very good team this year.  A win by LRCA would be a big statement and should move them up.  A loss will confirm what most posters think.

Greenbrier vs Beebe is also an interesting game.  Beebe pulled it out last year.  I think this is a toss up.  A Beebe win should put them in the top 10.  A Greenbrier win would indicate that they are a contender in the West.

A loss by Wynne would be disappointing and will drop Wynne in the polls.  If Wynne is as good as most of us think, they should win this game.

I think your analysis of the Batesville game is spot on.

I think Russellville is on the rise.  If Morrilton wins, I think they solidify their position as the primary challenger to Alma in the West.

I'm ready to get it started.

GuvHog

Great analysis Trackster but I will tell you this: Watson Chapel isn't as big of a mystery as some think.

Overdahill

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2016, 09:47:10 am
Great analysis Trackster but I will tell you this: Watson Chapel isn't as big of a mystery as some think.

Ha, WC has been treating their fans like my Dallas Cowboys been treating me....but i keep going back for more
Kool Aid this time each year too :P

GuvHog

Quote from: Overdahill on August 09, 2016, 10:08:39 am
Ha, WC has been treating their fans like my Dallas Cowboys been treating me....but i keep going back for more
Kool Aid this time each year too :P

What Kool Aid?? I haven't predicted that they'll win it all and I won't. I do believe they'll be some better than they were last season, especially on defense.

Overdahill

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2016, 02:04:25 pm
What Kool Aid?? I haven't predicted that they'll win it all and I won't. I do believe they'll be some better than they were last season, especially on defense.

I was mainly poking fun at myself; I always think of WC as a top tier team. Its a conception i formed years ago and can't seem to shake

MDXPHD

Quote from: GuvHog on August 09, 2016, 02:04:25 pm

Luckily they don't have to play at Batesville again.

GuvHog

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 09, 2016, 04:01:24 pm
Luckily they don't have to play at Batesville again.

They could still meet in the playoffs if the bracket setup allows it.

AT

Guv, what do you think has led to somewhat tempered expectations in Watson Chapel football? I'm not trying to be a facetious jerk here. I'm actually curious.

In 6A, they had more success than Alma did in their stint and moved down with a lot of expectations. They had a pretty good first year in 5A...semifinals I think? And since then it's been first round playoff exits.

Is it just the huge drop in numbers Watson Chapel has seen? Staff turnover?

GuvHog

August 10, 2016, 09:43:24 am #12 Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:23:57 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Almatrackster on August 09, 2016, 07:19:39 pm
Guv, what do you think has led to somewhat tempered expectations in Watson Chapel football? I'm not trying to be a facetious jerk here. I'm actually curious.

In 6A, they had more success than Alma did in their stint and moved down with a lot of expectations. They had a pretty good first year in 5A...semifinals I think? And since then it's been first round playoff exits.

Is it just the huge drop in numbers Watson Chapel has seen? Staff turnover?

A big part of it is they just haven't had the kind of talent they had when they were in the 6A South. There have been coaching problems at times too. They shot themselves in the feet too many times against Batesville in the playoffs last year. They were inside Batesville's 1 yard line with a chance to win the game late but they couldn't stick it in the end zone. Against a team like Batesville, WC has to cash in on their opportunities and they can't be shooting themselves in the feet.

AIREDALE25

August 22, 2016, 01:20:19 pm #13 Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:26:00 pm by AIREDALE25
1.Pulaski Academy
2.Alma
3. Batesville
4.Harrison
5.Parkview
6.Wynee
7.Vilonia
8.Maumelle
9.Camden
10. Morilton

the voice

Quote from: AIREDALE25 on August 22, 2016, 01:20:19 pm
1.Pulaski Academy
2.Alma
3. Batesville
4.Maumelle
5.Parkview
6.Wynee
7.Vilonia
8.Morrilton
9.Camden
10. Harrison

You have maumelle there with all the players lost , they didn't make playoffs last year, don't see them or Vilonia finishing in the top 4 of the west.

Go Postal

Quote from: the voice on August 22, 2016, 02:38:40 pm
You have maumelle there with all the players lost , they didn't make playoffs last year, don't see them or Vilonia finishing in the top 4 of the west.
Yeah, move the Goblins up on that list.  ;)

RamFan06

Didn't get on before y'all finished the Top 10, but for what it's worth, here is mine.

1. P.A.
2. Batesville
3. McLellan
4. Alma
5. Lakeside
6. Blytheville
7. Watson Chapel
8. Wynne
9. Morrilton
10. Hope

AT

When they did Varsity on one half of the field and JV on the other half and teams started from the 35 yard line, Southside definitely outplayed Alma by a wide margin.

When they switched to a more game like setting with kick offs and change of possessions and full fields to go, Southside played only marginally better in my opinion.

Southside had trouble with the running game at first in the 2nd part but it broke open later. Pass game struggled.

Alma's offense struggled but had some nice big plays. Threw two interceptions in Southside territory. Alma's defense played well in my opinion. Had some trouble with speed in open space.

Great opportunity to fix mistakes and adjust

AT

BUMP - VOTE HERE FOR WEEK 2

All polls will be counted unless they are obviously ridiculous.

Thanks.

WPWells

1. Pulaski Academy
2. Alma
3. McClellan
4. Watson Chapel
5. Batesville
6. Greenbrier
7. Little Rock Christian
8. Wynne
9. Blytheville
10. Harrison

AT

Results of 5A Top 10:

Pulaski Academy - 56
Sand Springs Page, Oklahoma - 21

Jonesboro - 65
Batesville - 41

Alma - 34
Van Buren - 21

Little Rock McClellan - 76
Dallas Parish Episcopal, Texas - 50

Wynne - 42
Marion - 17

Blytheville - 40
Osceola - 6

Russellville - 14
Morrilton - 11

Warren - 55
Little Rock Christian - 48

Watson Chapel - 42
Pine Bluff Dollarway - 22

Greenbrier - 54
Beebe - 33

PA Dad

1.  PA - good win over a tough Oklahoma team.
2.  McClellan - handled a Dallas private school pretty easily.  But do they have a defense?  They get NLR next.  That game should tell us a lot.
3.  Alma - best of the West.
4.  Batesville- poor defensive showing against JHS, but always a top 4 team.
5.  Blytheville- they may win the East this year.
6.  Wynne - the East has three solid contenders
7.  Watson Chapel -  best of the South.
8.  Greenbrier- good win over Beebe.
9.  Morrilton- close loss to Russellville but a contender in the West
10.  Sylvan Hills - good win over Catholic, but can they go the distance?

AT

September 03, 2016, 12:31:48 pm #22 Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:22:18 pm by Almatrackster
Almatrackster's Pre-Week 2 Top Ten
1. Pulaski Academy - Beat a good Oklahoma team and shouldn't leave this perch until they lose, anyways.

2. Batesville - Bad: Had 65 points scored on them. Good: Scored 41 on Jonesboro (not a good defensive team, but I still think most teams don't score that much.)

3. Little Rock McClellan - I don't know about the school they played...but it's not a bad result by any means.

4. Wynne - Beat a Marion team pretty dang good that I thought would be a lot better this year.

5. Watson Chapel - Nice, comfortable win over a decent 4A school

6. Sylvan Hills - Other than PA's win, you could argue they had the best win of the week in 5A.

7. Alma - Didn't beat a historically bad 7A team by as much as I thought. But that 7A team could be better than I think. Also it's a big rivalry game. Next week's game will say a lot.

8. Morrilton - If anyone can say that had a "good" loss, it would be the Devil Dogs. A 3 point loss to a solid 6A team is not bad.

9. Little Rock Christian - 7 point loss to a 4A State favorte? Not bad.

10. Blytheville - They won like they needed to over Osceola.

The Future

Check the other fan poll thread for my breakdowns and projected week 2 finish and week 3 poll

Future's week 2 poll

Pulaski Academy- where else they gonna be? On their way to another undefeated regular season
Alma- Average team out of the way, very improving team up next, followed by Greenwood
Wynne- Jacketts are a solid 3 team
McClellan- good showing in game 1
Batesville- loss to Jonsboro keeps Pioneers from jumping up to 4 spot
Greenbrier- good win over Beebe who is a consistent playoff team
Morrilton- loss to decent Russellville drops Motown one spot
Watson Chapel- win over a 4A team keeps Cats where they at
Sylvan Hills- had Hills dropping out of the top 10 with a loss, but proved me wrong and jumped up a spot
Camden Fairview- loss to 6A power still enough to keep Cardinals a top 10 team

TheSpecial

1. Pulaski Academy
2. Alma
3. McClellan
4. Batesville
5. Greenbrier
6. Sylvan Hills
7. Little Rock Christian
8. Wynne
9. Blytheville
10. Watson Chapel

MDXPHD

1. PA
2. Alma
3. Wynne
4. Batesville
5. McClellan
6. Blytheville
7. Watson Chapel
8. LRC
9. Greenbrier
10. Morrilton

AT

Putting this here so I'll remember to count it:

Quote from: Overdahill on September 03, 2016, 04:31:37 pm
1. PA
2. Wynne
3. Alma
4. LR McClellan
5. Batesville
6. Morrilton
7. Bly
8. WC
9. Brier
10. LRCA

Overdahill

woopork

1. PA
2. Alma
3. McLellan
4. Wynne
5. Greenbrier
6. Batesville
7. Morrilton
8. Watson Chapel
9. LRCA
10. Camden Fairview

GuvHog

1.  PA
2.  LR McClellan
3.  Alma
4.  Batesville
5.  Blytheville
6.  LR Christian
7.  Wynne
8.  Watson Chapel
9.  Morrilton
10. Greenbrier

AT

I'm going to bump this for now just to make sure anyone can see where to vote. I'll try not to bump spam.

AT

Quote from: Hoghead2 on September 05, 2016, 02:09:03 pm
1. PA.....the winning continues
2. Alma....the homecoming to 5A is real
3. Wynne....running the ball is back
4. LR McClellan. ... Lions roar in win
5. Blytheville. .. the Chicks are no sleeper team
6. Morrilton. ..Devil Dogs are feisty as ever
7. Batesville. ... 6A loss is acceptable
8. Watson Chapel. .. Cats are due in the 5A South
9. Sylvan Hills.... Bears are tough
10. Greenbrier. ...Panthers flexing their muscle

Putting this here so I don't forget to count it.

Youngsta71701

September 06, 2016, 11:49:11 am #32 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:57:46 am by Youngsta71701
1. Pulaski Academy
2. LR McClellan
3. Alma
4. Batesville
5. Wynne
6. Blytheville
7. Watson Chapel
8. Sylvan Hills
9. Greenbrier
10. Little Rock Christian

Fan of Camden Fairview

AT

HeberFan

Good summary. Should be some jostling around in the 2 through 5 teams

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 03, 2016, 03:51:43 pm
1. PA
2. Alma
3. Wynne
4. Batesville
5. McClellan
6. Blytheville
7. Watson Chapel
8. LRC
9. Greenbrier
10. Morrilton

Wynne over Batesville?  Oh my!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on September 07, 2016, 08:17:09 pm
Wynne over Batesville?  Oh my!

I know...quite the conundrum. That is going to go back and forth each week until Batesville beats them later in the season. But, I'm realistic and I think those three played the best in week 1. I'm still not sold on Alma for some reason.

Jimmy1995

the voice

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas