• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Proposal

Started by MDXPHD, August 04, 2016, 11:48:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

I saw that a proposal which will add an extra week at the beginning of the football season passed by a large margin. Starting next season, teams will have four weeks to play their three non conference games, I think. I believe it will make some teams more flexible in who they play now and not the whole "I don't have an open date" excuse. Any other thoughts?

Rob Van Winkle

It won't start until 2018.

bigchief72455

I believe that it would create a much more competitive non conference schedule. Some teams will take advantage and use it others will not.

Overdahill

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 04, 2016, 11:48:01 am
I saw that a proposal which will add an extra week at the beginning of the football season passed by a large margin. Starting next season, teams will have four weeks to play their three non conference games, I think. I believe it will make some teams more flexible in who they play now and not the whole "I don't have an open date" excuse. Any other thoughts?

IDK, there are teams that have been playing big time out of conference schedules for decades. It seems to me that if you wanted it to happen it would have happened already even without a rule change. I might have a wrong perspective though since i played for a large school in another state

MDXPHD

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 04, 2016, 12:55:20 pm
It won't start until 2018.

Right. I consider this season already to have started, although I know it hasn't. 2018 is when it starts. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote from: Overdahill on August 04, 2016, 01:04:04 pm
IDK, there are teams that have been playing big time out of conference schedules for decades. It seems to me that if you wanted it to happen it would have happened already even without a rule change. I might have a wrong perspective though since i played for a large school in another state

I'm not sure of why they would need this rule change really. That's why I started a thread. I'm curious as to what all of the benefits are. It passed by a substantial margin.

hurricane 09

Quote from: MDXPHD on August 04, 2016, 11:48:01 am

Does this mean that teams will have an open date in week 1, 2, 3, or 4 and will still be able to get in their full 10 games?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: hurricane 09 on August 04, 2016, 03:16:53 pm
Does this mean that teams will have an open date in week 1, 2, 3, or 4 and will still be able to get in their full 10 games?
Yes that is how it will work. They can still only play 3 non-conf games but they have 4 weeks to do it.

mijally

Maybe a small benefit to play the first 3 weeks, take a week off before conference to nurse any injuries, and maybe throw in a few new wrinkles to your game plan your first conference opponent hasn't seen on film yet.

Lionheart88

I've heard before that conventional wisdom says a team makes the most improvement between game 1 and game 2.  Look for teams to play week one, then sit out week two to spend an extra week in that rapid improvement phase.  Whether or not it actually works like that.

Grond

August 05, 2016, 12:14:04 pm #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:24:15 pm by Grond
Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 04, 2016, 06:14:18 pm
I've heard before that conventional wisdom says a team makes the most improvement between game 1 and game 2.  Look for teams to play week one, then sit out week two to spend an extra week in that rapid improvement phase.  Whether or not it actually works like that.

Good point.

I also wonder if the "Early Practice" will affect the "Camp" rules.

I know that in 2013/2014, high schools were not allowed to practice in the summer, but they were allowed to attend "football camps". These occurred in July, and involved 3 or more teams. They were one-day events, and the only rule was that the players could not wear knee pads.

So, once or twice a week, the teams were going out and conducting full contact scrimmages at the host field. I don't know if these are still being conducted.

Okieback

Texas has done zero week for years, and Oklahoma just went to it last year , lots of districts I. Those states aren't 8 team, they are 7 and a few 6 in Oklahoma . Texas has some 5 team and in Houston some 10.
It makes it easier to get a full 10 games in.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas