• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will PA pull a hat trick?

Started by PA Dad, June 27, 2016, 09:02:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 07:43:26 am
I can't believe they let LRC in because they have a legit chance of giving them some competition year end year out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Last year LRC had their best team in program history and got shut out by PA at home in the playoffs.  I would give you LRC +28 right now for this year's game.

the voice

LRC is going to have to add some players or they will get destroyed, from what I've seen thus far they won't be nowhere near last years team. The polls of people ranking them must be based on last year. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on July 20, 2016, 04:57:02 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Last year LRC had their best team in program history and got shut out by PA at home in the playoffs.  I would give you LRC +28 right now for this year's game.

Well, this isn't true.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: the voice on July 07, 2016, 03:49:39 pm
Really ? Didn't know that. Never know what they might do.
Thanks for info.
No disrespect to PA, but I would much rather play them than Greenwood on a yearly basis.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on July 21, 2016, 01:25:18 pm
Well, this isn't true.
Fair enough. They were undefeated and at home and lost by 42. And last year's LRC team was far better than expected this year.

the voice

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on July 21, 2016, 01:40:38 pm
No disrespect to PA, but I would much rather play them than Greenwood on a yearly basis.
Absolutely as most coaches have said ,

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: the voice on July 21, 2016, 03:24:47 pm
Absolutely as most coaches have said ,
If I were at Morrilton and 1-0 vs PA and winless vs Greenwood, I would say that too.

Who are these "most" coaches, because I would guess the opposite to be true.  More to do with dealing with the preparations and in game emotions than worried about which is a better team.

the voice

Simple as I was told , greenwood has the best coach and lots of numbers.
Morrilton is 2-1 against PA , and we have beaten greenwood also although it's been a while and I'm not sure of the record.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I was referring to the McNabb era with my numbers.

I think it's a great question with a little more than a simple answer.  I texted 5 coaches yesterday because I thought it was an interesting question.  Three said they would rather play Greenwood, one said PA, and one said it depends on his team...then called me to give me a pretty good explanation.  Here was what he said...

If he has a physical team, he would rather play Greenwood because he feels like he could match up with them on the lines and pound the ball and keep the game close.  If he has more of an athletic team, he would rather play PA because he can get pressure without blitzing and match up better on the back end.  What may be even more interesting (and understandable) is that if he is a big underdog, he would rather play PA because their philosophy can hurt them if you are able to recover onsides and stop them on some key 4th downs.  If he has the better team, he would rather play Greenwood because PA's philosophy could work the exact opposite way because they can score so fast and change the game in a hurry without you even getting an offensive possession to answer.

Again, great question, and whether you or I agree with what he says, I thought this guy's thoughts were pretty good.

Overdahill

^^ very thought provoking post. Thanks Coach

the voice

I have heard different reasons as well. And out of the ones I talked to most said greenwood stay. And it was because of jones.
I'm not surprised that you found other opinions though and they were interesting as well. I personally remember when greenwood won with coaching and desire. Now it's not only that but they got some dudes and numbers. For me , that's just more reasons why I wouldn't want them back.

Thanks for sharing your research with us.

The Future

Greenwood and PA. Either way you slice it, playing both teams will be tough and you will need your A game to have a chance of beating them. Just be glad you ain't got both of us ;)

I have not seen PA play since the 4 times they played Greenwood from 2006 to 2009. So I have no legitamite first hand details on just how good they are other than they are good and don't punt. I know they will be a test for any team in the state as long as Coach Kelley is at the helm. I know they are fast paced, well disciplined, don't quit, know how to put up points and win, and they have great mechanics. I could describe Greenwood with those same characteristics.
Like I said, I haven't seen PA play since 2009 so I can't fill in PA's side of this post, but as far as Greenwood goes, and I'm sure most other Greenwood folks can back me up on this. Greenwood is a whole different animal from Jone's earlier teams at Greenwood. Our D has stepped up tremendously. (yes I know we have secondary issues being this is only our second year in a new scheme). Our recievers are great at downfield blocking. We have bigger lines. And we have the important experience of playing multiple very very good teams.
2006 and 2007 Greenwood had great teams that matched PA's teams blow for blow. 2008 we were rebuilding and PA was not. 2009 we had a very good team and PA was rebuilding a bit I believe but in the end PA made the plays. 2010 was good and 2011 was dominating. But since 2012 and since we stepped up to 6A, the tougher teams and bigger teams have really shaped Greenwood into something else.
Yes PA is very very good and yes they play, and beat I might add, top teams across the nation. That is nothing to shy from and it helps them develop into the best they can be. But while Greenwood's been playing the likes of Eldorado, Pine Bluff, Conway, Southside, Northside, Benton, and even Fayetteville for scrimmage, PA has been playing 3 worthy noncon teams before dominating through a conference with no real consistant threats and then 1easy playoff game before finally running into a quality opponent. A few times they came out on the losing end but the last 2 years they have made it all the way and look to again this season. And thats great. They can't help who they play. They play who they need to and win. Just like every other team. But the lack of consitant quality opponents can and will bite back sometimes. Greenwood knows all too well the arguments and bashing of "cupcake schedules" lol.

If Greenwood gets dropped back to 5A this next cycle and Jones is still in town, you will see a different animal. I'm sure since 2012, most who would watch Greenwood haven't because they haven't played their team. But PA has been around and most would have first hand knowledge on how good they are. So yes those in 5A now are gonna look at the PA of now and compare it to the Greenwood of 06-09 and think yes we would rather play Greenwood.

This post may sound like I'm biasedly saying Greenwood is still better than PA. Thats not my intent. I'm stating how Greenwood I believe is better now than they were 7 or 8 years ago and with my lack of PA knowlege, I would love if PADad or another PA fan could fill me in on how PA has improved as well. Cause I know they have.

Anyways, Greenwood vs PA is a great thread and a rematch down the road would be a blast. I hate writing long post cause my mind goes off and sometimes I chase rabbits or throw one too many ideas in and it sounds crammed lol.
Just waiting on the season to start. And I'll be looking forward to some PA guys to throw in their sayso here.

PA Dad

We can debate forever about which team is best, but the only way to settle the debate is on the field.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

As I'm sure is true for all teams, some teams at PA are better than others.  I think the 2011 team could have beaten any team in the state.  I frankly thought last year's team was not one of PA's best, but they still won the championship.

I know for sure that both PA and GW have great programs and great coaches.  That's why the debate is both spirited and unwinnable.  Only a game between the teams can settle the argument, and then only for one year.

PA Dad

Let me add that an annual game between PA and GW would be great for both teams and for football generally in the state.  I understand that's not likely to happen anytime soon, but it would be one of the most anticipated games of the year.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

The Future - I think your analysis of the series between the two teams is close to spot on.  Maybe the most shocking was that going into the '09 game, both teams were averaging over 40 points per game in the series and we went into halftime tied 0-0!

I'm not sure that coaches that say they would rather play Greenwood are saying they think PA is better.  Personally, I think it has more to do with preparation aspect of having to spend all that time on special teams, having to psychologically coach your kids on the 4th downs, and preparing them for the emotional ups and downs of flurries of giving up and making big plays.

For those that would rather play PA, I would think that going into the Greenwood game as an underdog, your odds of winning are just bad.  In Jones career there, I'd be curious how many times he is favored by more than a TD.  I guess I'd like to see the same with Coach Kelley. 

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: purpleswag on July 06, 2016, 07:13:53 pm
True you did last year. I don't know the history between the 2 teams but they are replacing jacksonville and I know they're a better team than Jacksonville regularly

I'm glad you can admit you don't know the history.....but it is so easy to find on the team pages.  PA is 6-1 against LRCA with the average score being 43-17 PA.  That is with the 21-42 loss in 2009 when LRCA had Michael Dyer doing his thing, which he did all the way to a National Championship the next year at Auburn.  Take out the 2009 game and the average score in the other six games is 46.8 - 12.8

Rocko1493

As an outsider to the program looking in see it very difficult for them to threepeat.  Looking at the hoots book they return starts on offence and only 3 on defence.

Overdahill

PA prepares to go all the way every year which gives them an advantage vs many teams right from the get go. Even with that kind of mindset and preparation it has only happened five times so the odds of any individual team winning it all are not great.

IMHO PA has a better chance than any other individual team in 5A this season but the odds are in favor of "some other team" in the aggregate. Injuries can play a part and what I am hearing out of the Batesville and Wynne faithful tells me it is fairly wide open this year

MDXPHD

Quote from: Overdahill on August 02, 2016, 11:07:55 am
PA prepares to go all the way every year which gives them an advantage vs many teams right from the get go. Even with that kind of mindset and preparation it has only happened five times so the odds of any individual team winning it all are not great.

IMHO PA has a better chance than any other individual team in 5A this season but the odds are in favor of "some other team" in the aggregate. Injuries can play a part and what I am hearing out of the Batesville and Wynne faithful tells me it is fairly wide open this year

I think that Alma will compete well in 5A. Mainly because of their competition over the past few years. Wynne does this every year though, and they still can't seem to get over the hump. They will be okay this year I'm sure. PA will be hard to stop, but a team like Wynne or Batesville might match up well. Recover the onside kicks and then control the clock/hold the ball by running. That's the only way a team will beat PA this year. Their offense will be on fire with Hatcher and Watkins.

Rocko1493

OVersailles I disagree with the statement of being more prepared than any other team than 5a.  Look at Batesville.They have played in semifinal almost 10 years in a row and in the dial 3 in a row.  Besides for every team in 5a  dedicates all year two football now.

Overdahill

Quote from: Rocko1493 on August 02, 2016, 12:17:18 pm
OVersailles I disagree with the statement of being more prepared than any other team than 5a.  Look at Batesville.They have played in semifinal almost 10 years in a row and in the dial 3 in a row.  Besides for every team in 5a  dedicates all year two football now.

Recommendation: 1. ) I didn't say more prepared than any other team just an advantage vs many teams. 2) Go to team pages and check the records over the last ten years 3) I am sure Batesville is "all in" year round just like PA and some select others but it would be naive to believe all 5A teams have that level of commitment

Yellowcake

I am a PA dad. I have seen Greenwood play several times over the last few years. That school has changed. They have big numbers now and even better teams. PA could hang some, but would likely lose more than they win. Greenwood is just on a different level. Like Pine Bluff has been for a few years now. Just one man's opinion.

As for this year, PA is the champ until someone beats them, but they have some folks that are going to be hard to replace. Tre Bruce for one. That was an added dimension that gave PA even more options on offense. And the lines on both sides will be down a tad. A new Henry brother will begin to emerge at TE/WR, and his other brother will knock your block off in the secondary. He is a physical kid. Both are awfully good kids, too.

I expect a playoff run, but will be surprised if they hoist the trophy again.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas