• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

De Queen football team!

Started by Arkansas8, April 29, 2016, 09:56:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas8

What are your thoughts about this team this year coming up?? After improving little by little every year??

Pat Swilling

I would love to see DQ return to glory days.  Not sure if it can be done in 5A but I wish them the best.

The_Pioneer

I suspect teams in the SW love having them around.

tmycjy

Went threw the number for DeQueen this is what your season would be like as of right now reamber these number can change down the road

Mena.  28-13 W
Nashville 31-12 L
Ashdown 27-20 W
Hope 38-28 L
W. Chapel 26-35 L
Hot Springs 24-19 W
Camden 28-27 L
HSLS 38-26 L
Magnolia 28-13 W
White Hall 41-14 W

For a season total of 5-5 3-4 on the year in south play

Dalegribble

Maybe one win out of conference and 1 or 2 in conference. Tough times until they bump y'all down.

Okieback

Pretty sure that's not DQ schedule for the fall

GuvHog

May 11, 2016, 02:32:46 pm #6 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:40:50 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: Okieback on May 10, 2016, 11:51:52 am
Pretty sure that's not DQ schedule for the fall

DeQueen does play Mena every year and they do play in that conference so at least 8 of the 10 opponents are correct.

tmycjy

What is the other teams u are playing

Okieback

Quote from: GuvHog on May 11, 2016, 02:32:46 pm
DeQueen does play Mena every year and they do play in that conference so at least 8 of the 10 opponents are correct.

Was talking the whole, not just district/conference

Leopard

Quote from: Arkansas8 on April 29, 2016, 09:56:43 pm
What are your thoughts about this team this year coming up?? After improving little by little every year??
Looking better year by year. Good times ahead.

Wahls

De Queen does not belong in 5a. Not that the 7-4a is any cakewalk, but sheesh.

Leopard

Quote from: Wahls on May 17, 2016, 02:25:11 am
De Queen does not belong in 5a. Not that the 7-4a is any cakewalk, but sheesh.
I believe 5a is just fine. They wouldn't win had they stayed in 4a. As they lost the majority of there games against their 4a opponents.(first three games) As with anything, building takes time. When you scrap everything you use to do (goodwin) and start in a new direction (kramer) you have to give leeway. He has had 3 seasons and has seen progress. I'm tired of the excuse that dequeen doesn't belong.  Get behind the boys and coaches and propel them along. There's a new atmosphere in that locker room. A hungry one at that.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Leopard on May 17, 2016, 12:14:52 pm
I believe 5a is just fine. They wouldn't win had they stayed in 4a. As they lost the majority of there games against their 4a opponents.(first three games) As with anything, building takes time. When you scrap everything you use to do (goodwin) and start in a new direction (kramer) you have to give leeway. He has had 3 seasons and has seen progress. I'm tired of the excuse that dequeen doesn't belong.  Get behind the boys and coaches and propel them along. There's a new atmosphere in that locker room. A hungry one at that.

I'm pretty sure Wahls isn't insinuating that De Queen doesn't belong in the sense of they're not good enough, it's just a numbers game. Most, if not all of the other teams in the league, have more depth and more kids out for football. Even if De Queen has the same or more talent than another team, they're going to be playing kids both ways while other schools are subbing kids in and out at their leisure.

I think Kramer has done a fantastic job with the situation he's got. I hope they start to make even more strides this year.

Leopard

Quote from: DerekOxford on May 17, 2016, 12:54:54 pm
I'm pretty sure Wahls isn't insinuating that De Queen doesn't belong in the sense of they're not good enough, it's just a numbers game. Most, if not all of the other teams in the league, have more depth and more kids out for football. Even if De Queen has the same or more talent than another team, they're going to be playing kids both ways while other schools are subbing kids in and out at their leisure.

I think Kramer has done a fantastic job with the situation he's got. I hope they start to make even more strides this year.
Fair enough

PWDad

My son was told at the Meet Of Champs by a DeQueen kid, that they had lost 18 kids as soon as spring ball started. He said they were not having contact drills due to a lack of players

Pat Swilling

Quote from: PWDad on May 17, 2016, 04:33:00 pm
My son was told at the Meet Of Champs by a DeQueen kid, that they had lost 18 kids as soon as spring ball started. He said they were not having contact drills due to a lack of players

Surely not?

PWDad

I want to make sure everybody understands my post regarding Dequeen football. I was just passing along information my son got from one of their discus throwers. I have been given information from another member that it was either not correct or misunderstood.
I just want to make sure everybody understands I was not degrading Dequeen football. I was actually shocked when told that by my son, because they have some amazing track athletes. I am happy to hear they are doing better than was originally told to my son. If their track athletes are any indication of their athlete base, they have got some good ones!

Wahls

May 24, 2016, 01:36:38 pm #17 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:07:31 pm by Wahls
Quote from: DerekOxford on May 17, 2016, 12:54:54 pm

This is exactly right.

I'll take it a step further though - I know this can be a sore subject with a lot of people on this board but the fact remains that with the current demographics of the school, it makes it very challenging to compete consistently in football and basketball.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wahls on May 24, 2016, 01:36:38 pm
This is exactly right.

I'll take it a step further though - I know this can be a sore subject with a lot of people on this board but the fact remains that with the current demographics of the school, it makes it very challenging to compete consistently in football and basketball.

What's wrong with the current demographics there???

DerekOxford

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2016, 12:33:27 pm

It is very Hispanic-dominated, and for the most part, Hispanics go out in large numbers for soccer, but not for basketball or football.

Wahls

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2016, 12:33:27 pm

Over 60% Hispanic. Makes for great soccer, cross country, and track teams. Not so great for football and basketball.

GuvHog

Quote from: DerekOxford on May 25, 2016, 01:17:32 pm
It is very Hispanic-dominated, and for the most part, Hispanics go out in large numbers for soccer, but not for basketball or football.

It takes having a Head Coach that is willing to not only walk the halls of the school and recruit players but actually recruit the whole district for players. Interest has to be created in some cases. I saw it first hand in 1971 at Mountain Pine. They hadn't won a game in at least 2 years and it had been even longer since they'd had a winning season so the community's attitude was "Meh". It was basically a basketball first school.....until Stanley May took over the football program. What he did for that school and it's football program in a very short time was absolutely phenomenal.

DerekOxford

Quote from: GuvHog on May 26, 2016, 12:29:08 pm
It takes having a Head Coach that is willing to not only walk the halls of the school and recruit players but actually recruit the whole district for players. Interest has to be created in some cases. I saw it first hand in 1971 at Mountain Pine. They hadn't won a game in at least 2 years and it had been even longer since they'd had a winning season so the community's attitude was "Meh". It was basically a basketball first school.....until Stanley May took over the football program. What he did for that school and it's football program in a very short time was absolutely phenomenal.

And I would venture to say Kramer is doing that. But you can only do so much with the demographics you have.

Wahls

It takes having a Head Coach that is willing to not only walk the halls of the school and recruit players but actually recruit the whole district for players.

That's wild, I bet Kramer has never thought of that! Problem solved, thanks GuvHog!

GuvHog

Quote from: DerekOxford on May 26, 2016, 02:05:29 pm
And I would venture to say Kramer is doing that. But you can only do so much with the demographics you have.

I wish him well there......except when his team plays against my Wildcats.   :)

Okieback

Quote from: PWDad on May 17, 2016, 04:33:00 pm

So did anybody actually find out if any of this is true?

GuvHog

Quote from: DerekOxford on May 26, 2016, 02:05:29 pm

I'm sure he's trying hard and it helps to have a solid staff of assistant coaches helping. Stanley May however, didn't have that luxury when he arrived at Mountain Pine in the early 70's. He wasn't allowed to hire any assistants so he had to make due with 2 ready made ones. One was the girls head basketball coach and the other was the boys head basketball coach. I was the trainer. That was the entire staff. Like I said, what he did basically by himself was phenomenal.

purpleswag

Wahls

Quote from: GuvHog on June 05, 2016, 01:40:15 pm
I'm sure he's trying hard and it helps to have a solid staff of assistant coaches helping. Stanley May however, didn't have that luxury when he arrived at Mountain Pine in the early 70's. He wasn't allowed to hire any assistants so he had to make due with 2 ready made ones. One was the girls head basketball coach and the other was the boys head basketball coach. I was the trainer. That was the entire staff. Like I said, what he did basically by himself was phenomenal.

bleudog

June 06, 2016, 02:44:20 pm #29 Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:00:47 pm by bleudog

I'd guess comparing building program interest at Mountain Pine in 1971 and at De Queen in 2016 might not be comparing apples to apples.  ::)

I don't know what the demographics at Mountain Pine were in 1971, but I'll let you guess which school is which now:

White                  80                        38
Hispanic                5                        54
Black                   11                         6
Amer Ind               2                         2
Pac Island              1                         0
Multi Race              2                         0

GuvHog

Quote from: bleudog on June 06, 2016, 02:44:20 pm
I'd guess comparing building program interest at Mountain Pine in 1971 and at De Queen in 2016 might not be comparing apples to apples.  ::)

I don't know what the demographics at Mountain Pine were in 1971, but I'll let you guess which school is which now:

White                  80                        38
Hispanic                5                        54
Black                   11                         6
Amer Ind               2                         2
Pac Island              1                         0
Multi Race              2                         0

It's changed a lot since the mill closed. Many have left to find other jobs. That really hurt the school district. There has been talk in the past of merging it with the Lake Hamilton District but that hasn't happened thus far.

bleudog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 06, 2016, 03:27:35 pm
It's changed a lot since the mill closed. Many have left to find other jobs. That really hurt the school district. There has been talk in the past of merging it with the Lake Hamilton District but that hasn't happened thus far.

I'm still guessing that in 1971 Mountain Pine didn't have a significant demographic within its student population that culturally didn't give a rat's backside about football.

De Queen sounds a lot like Hermitage.  Hermitage is a 2A-8 school.  The football problem is they also have a large Hispanic student population.  There are 2A numbers in the halls, but there are 1A numbers as far as the pool of kids whose culture cares about football. 

Okieback

So the homers are saying they will be all right and the nay Sayers no way?

So which is it ?
Yay good?
Nay bad?

Okieback

BM22

Just heard DeQueen is coming to Benton to scrimmage Bauxite at Panther Stadium tomorrow night.  Any thoughts?

x14113

Quote from: bleudog on June 06, 2016, 07:05:09 pm
De Queen sounds a lot like Hermitage.  Hermitage is a 2A-8 school.  The football problem is they also have a large Hispanic student population.  There are 2A numbers in the halls, but there are 1A numbers as far as the pool of kids whose culture cares about football.

Any program that finds itself with a significant Hispanic population might want to look to Yell County for guidance.

Danville has had a large Hispanic presence for quite a while now, yet its football success has not been limited: The Johns won the 3A-4 just last year, and they look poised to wreak havoc on the 2A-4 this fall.

While Dardanelle's Hispanic population isn't quite as prominent, it's still enough to make that area rather diverse considering the more-established demographics. Even so, it hasn't stopped the Lizards from trying to continue its best football run in three decades.

Just a couple of nuggets to think about on the subject...

AirWarren

Using Hispanic population as an excuse for poor football is silly. Winning cures all. Danville is a winning program and kids want to be a part of that. Black. White. Brown. If you are a losing program, guess what, kids aren't going to come out.

My two cents.

bleudog

Quote from: AirWarren on August 22, 2016, 04:14:42 pm
Using Hispanic population as an excuse for poor football is silly. Winning cures all. Danville is a winning program and kids want to be a part of that. Black. White. Brown. If you are a losing program, guess what, kids aren't going to come out.

My two cents.

Not an excuse, just a different challenge that our friend Guv's 1970 something Mountain Pine team didn't have to factor into the build-a-solid-football-program equation.  Danville looks to be an excellent example of football success with a culturally diverse student body.  Not quite the Hispanic numbers of DeQueen but reasonably close and both materially more than the Hermitage example I used.

Hoghead2

Quote from: tmycjy on May 05, 2016, 08:12:22 am
Went threw the number for DeQueen this is what your season would be like as of right now reamber these number can change down the road

Mena.  28-13 W
Nashville 31-12 L
Ashdown 27-20 W
Hope 38-28 L
W. Chapel 26-35 L
Hot Springs 24-19 W
Camden 28-27 L
HSLS 38-26 L
Magnolia 28-13 W
White Hall 41-14 W

For a season total of 5-5 3-4 on the year in south play

Ashdown  will beat DQ bad...

Leopard

Quote from: Hoghead2 on August 22, 2016, 09:15:59 pm
Ashdown  will beat DQ bad...
They can't because they don't play them this year. They play poteau Oklahoma instead.

GuvHog

Quote from: Leopard on August 23, 2016, 08:10:53 am
They can't because they don't play them this year. They play poteau Oklahoma instead.

I don't think De Queen will be able to score 26 points against WC either.

Wahls

August 23, 2016, 09:40:25 pm #41 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:51:37 pm by Wahls
Using Hispanic population as an excuse for poor football is silly.

Hispanics make up 17% of the population but are less than 2% of the college football players. Asians make up 5% of the population but make up 2% of all college football players.

Quote from:  https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Final%2B2012%2BCollege%2BRGRC.pdf In Division I football at the FBS level, African-Americans accounted for 51.6 percent of football
student-athletes while whites made up 43.3 percent, Latinos 1.8 percent, Asians 2.1 percent, and
Native-Americans 0.1 percent. Those describing themselves as “two or more” or “other” were 1.1
percent.

There are a lot of uncomfortable truths in life, and just because you're unwilling to acknowledge the obvious doesn't make it "silly".

White people don't make good corners, black people generally don't make amazing swimmers, and hispanics generally don't make great football players. White people from nordic ancestry dominate strongman competitions, black males from west African decent are the best sprinters on Earth, and Asians are the best at table tennis in the world (advanced reaction time). It's uncomfortable truths. But it just is what it is.

I've lived many places, and I'm proud of being from De Queen, but if I'm going to be asked why the town struggles in staying competitive in football, I have to be real here.

To me, the real argument is whether or not it is a cultural or genetic problem.

~WPS~

How'd the scrimmage between De Queen and Bauxite turnout?

Okieback

Quote from: ~WPS~ on August 23, 2016, 09:52:53 pm
How'd the scrimmage between De Queen and Bauxite turnout?

I was wondering too

~WPS~

August 26, 2016, 02:31:36 pm #44 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:23:47 pm by ~WPS~
De Queen won 26-22
Starters played 3 quarters in which De Queen led 26-8.

Jimbo Morphis

August 26, 2016, 02:33:11 pm #45 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:34:56 pm by Oldman

My two cents.
Spoken like a true soccer fan. Warren has had a few Hispanic players. How many of them played in college or started for Warren at back or receiver?

BM22

Quote from: ~WPS~ on August 26, 2016, 02:31:36 pm
De Queen won 26-22. The starters for both teams played nearly a full game.
I left before DQ scored their final td. DQ took a quick 20-0 lead in the 1st qrt. The big QB/WR tandem looke really good. Moore made a nice td reception in the endzone over a 5'6 sophomore corner. Seems like after DQ got that lead they started running a vanilla O and started subbing quite a bit, much earlier than bauxite did. Bauxite's "backup QB" could very well be the starter. He is a Sr and starts at WR. They started manuevering players at different positions before they went to their 2nd's.
Two things I came away with in this scrimmage: (1) I was impressed with how Bauxite played and fought to come back from that early deficit. (2) However, had this been regular season game, DQ would have won comfortably. Moore could have dominated every one of Bauxite's db's. Curious to know what Moore's stats ended up being.

AirWarren

Quote from: Oldman on August 26, 2016, 02:33:11 pm
Spoken like a true soccer fan. Warren has had a few Hispanic players. How many of them played in college or started for Warren at back or receiver?

We have had several play line and in the secondary. What's your point? Can't recall any WRs and backs. I was unaware that that's what makes a team.

You and this soccer business. Spoken like a supporter of a drying up community.

AirWarren

August 26, 2016, 03:29:31 pm #48 Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:35:31 pm by AirWarren

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: AirWarren on August 26, 2016, 03:28:25 pm
We have had several play line and in the secondary. What's your point? Can't recall any WRs and backs. I was unaware that that's what makes a team.

You and this soccer business. Spoken like a supporter of a drying up community.
Bo told me you were unaware what makes a team.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas