• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A (formerly 7A) West

Started by CageMonsterNWA, January 24, 2019, 08:59:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CageMonsterNWA

Rookie poster here, so forgive me if I'm breaking any unwritten protocols.  I'm interested to hear some opinions on how 6A teams look. West teams look strong, with at least 2 studs on the bump for most teams (some studs are better than others). Like someone recently said, "Who can hit?"  Har-Ber just showed up at #11 in a national poll. Rogers will compete with them, though.  Fayetteville and Bentonville might give both those teams a challenge.  Springdale has some experience coming back.  Heritage will improve. Not sure about what VB has.  What about Central teams?

truthseeker

Van Buren was probably the best hitting team in the state last year.  They can hit up and down the lineup and they return quite a few of those guys from last year.  Har-ber should be very good.  Rogers will have a nice 1-2 on the mound.  Van Buren will hit their way to a lot of wins.  I don't know if the other teams have the arms to match up with those three teams.  Bentonville is the X factor.  They have a couple of young arms that throw hard.     

T-Bone

That West side looks strong on both sides.  Look forward to any games our East side plays with them.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: truthseeker on January 25, 2019, 10:06:44 am
Van Buren was probably the best hitting team in the state last year.  They can hit up and down the lineup and they return quite a few of those guys from last year.  Har-ber should be very good.  Rogers will have a nice 1-2 on the mound.  Van Buren will hit their way to a lot of wins.  I don't know if the other teams have the arms to match up with those three teams.  Bentonville is the X factor.  They have a couple of young arms that throw hard.     

I do recall that VB nearly knocked off HB in the semifinals.  I just wasn't sure how many of the hitters from that team were seniors.  I think HB was the best hitting team last year; their avg was quite a bit higher than VB, but both teams had 13 HRs on the season.  Also, I forgot to mention Bentonville West, which seems to be adding/developing athletes in every sport.

truthseeker

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on January 26, 2019, 08:30:04 am
I do recall that VB nearly knocked off HB in the semifinals.  I just wasn't sure how many of the hitters from that team were seniors.  I think HB was the best hitting team last year; their avg was quite a bit higher than VB, but both teams had 13 HRs on the season.  Also, I forgot to mention Bentonville West, which seems to be adding/developing athletes in every sport.

Looking at Max Preps Van Buren lost 4 Seniors who hit .293 or above.  I was thinking they returned more than that, so I may be overrating them. 

CageMonsterNWA

January 29, 2019, 09:49:45 pm #5 Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:58:09 pm by CageMonsterNWA
Quote from: T-Bone on January 25, 2019, 07:18:29 pm
That West side looks strong on both sides.  Look forward to any games our East side plays with them.

Now that I've studied up, it looks like Cabot may be the strongest team in 6A. Looking forward to seeing them play.

Additional note: According to PBR, Cabot has two Razorback commits and one Kentucky commit.  If they have 6 other guys who can walk and chew gum, they should be crazy good.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: T-Bone on January 25, 2019, 07:18:29 pm

After some further research on East teams, Bryant is a legit contender to win it all, with Cabot in the hunt. Bryant apparently has a stud surrounded by a bunch of solid grinders. Cabot just has lots of great athletes.

Also, after further review, I still have Har-Ber as the favorite in the West, with Rogers a close 2nd. Could go the other way, though.

T-Bone

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on February 02, 2019, 07:42:52 am
After some further research on East teams, Bryant is a legit contender to win it all, with Cabot in the hunt. Bryant apparently has a stud surrounded by a bunch of solid grinders. Cabot just has lots of great athletes.

Also, after further review, I still have Har-Ber as the favorite in the West, with Rogers a close 2nd. Could go the other way, though.

Where do you get your research? 

We have no clue who will do what at this time.  All talk no matter what team we mention.  High school ball seems to be measured more by how deep they can go with decent pitchers.  Then the bats that can make up the difference.

Before the season FF is more like a wishing well.  We all want and hope but time will be the only for sure.

Just ready for some warm baseball.  As I mentioned earlier there is one team in the East that will be very hard to beat if the bats are hot and I can see some bats on that team as well.  PBR tournament doesn't take in all schools but it will be a good time to start seeing who is who.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: T-Bone on February 02, 2019, 06:47:57 pm
Where do you get your research? 

We have no clue who will do what at this time.  All talk no matter what team we mention.  High school ball seems to be measured more by how deep they can go with decent pitchers.  Then the bats that can make up the difference.

Before the season FF is more like a wishing well.  We all want and hope but time will be the only for sure.

Just ready for some warm baseball.  As I mentioned earlier there is one team in the East that will be very hard to beat if the bats are hot and I can see some bats on that team as well.  PBR tournament doesn't take in all schools but it will be a good time to start seeing who is who.

I'm also ready for some warm baseball.  Today was pretty nice—I was out watching an intersquad.  And you are correct—we have no idea until we start playing games, but the point of this thread was to fill the gap between now and the first pitch with some interesting conversation.  Nothing more. 

Research is a loose term, but I use PBR and MaxPreps, and I hang around batting cages talking to coaches and players.

T-Bone

February 02, 2019, 09:38:30 pm #9 Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:14:10 am by T-Bone
It is fun to see thoughts of who will or who will not be at the top before the year starts.  Then watch and see how it plays out.

5tooldad

Love this time of year. 

I'd pick Rogers to win the West right now.  As a pre-season prediction, this is all based on what I remember from last year and from summer baseball.  So much can change in a baseball player in high school so this is just my take.

Fayetteville:  Has some talent....particularly on the mound in their junior class. A couple big sticks but   Not enough offense overall to contend.

Springdale:  blue collar team that will play hard but won't contend.

Har Ber:  Pitching, pitching, pitching.  They are not "bangers" at the plate.  Base running a big key for them.  Contender (obviously)

Rogers:  Pitching, pitching, pitching.   I think they are the best offensive team in the west.

Heritage:   Ugh....

Bentonville:  two or three that are/could be best in the state at their position but too many holes and not enough pitching.  Not a contender. 

Centerton:  just a step above heritage.

Van Buren:  honestly don't know a lot about them.  I remember they had a solid catcher last year.

I'd go with

1. Rogers
2. Har Ber
3.Van Buren
4. Bentonville
5. Fayetteville
6. Springdale
7. Centerton
8. Heritage

I'm probably way off but that's how I see it before a single game is played.

CageMonsterNWA

Love the reference to Centerton High.  Original Bentonville people will appreciate. West will continue to improve as their program gets established.

Rogers has solid players all around.  We will see if they can hit. Har-Ber now has the added pressure of living up to pre-season hype, which they have not been good at in other sports, historically.

5tooldad

Got to watch a little west baseball this week and came away happy. 

Watched a little Heritage baseball and it will be another long year for them.

Saw Rogers lose a 10 inning game against NLR in what was a pitchers duel until the top of the 10th when a couple timely hits and a couple passed balls cost the Mounties the game.  Their starter struck out 10 through 4 innings if I'm not mistaken.  The right handed Watson kid.  They are solid despite the loss.

Saw Bentonville beat Conway and NLR.  The biggest question for me concerning the tigers was the unknown aspect of the pitching staff.  So far, they have impressed.  They could contend if their defense holds up. 

Hard to tell too much this early but from just one week, Heritage seems to still be Heritage, Rogers has some top end arms....though their offense didn't show up last night against average pitching....and Bentonville has better pitching so far than I expected as well as well as 2-3 as good as anyone in the state at their position. 

Love baseball season.

CageMonsterNWA

Fun stuff in 6A West.  Bentonville @ Har-Ber this Monday at Arvest Ballpark will be a true test for both teams.  I think everyone should be rested so that it will be ace vs. ace.

5tooldad

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on March 09, 2019, 12:21:11 pm
Fun stuff in 6A West.  Bentonville @ Har-Ber this Monday at Arvest Ballpark will be a true test for both teams.  I think everyone should be rested so that it will be ace vs. ace.
agreed.  I'm looking forward to it.  Nothing like testing yourself against the champs.  Should find out a lot about the Tigers Monday and Tuesday.

5tooldad

Final in 8 innings from Arvest:
Bentonville-6
Har-Ber-3

That was a nail biter.  Some big defensive plays made at some key times.  That's a very good Har Ber team.  Tonight was just the Tigers night. 

T-Bone

Quote from: 5tooldad on March 11, 2019, 07:56:58 pm
Final in 8 innings from Arvest:
Bentonville-6
Har-Ber-3

That was a nail biter.  Some big defensive plays made at some key times.  That's a very good Har Ber team.  Tonight was just the Tigers night.

Who were pitchers on both sides?

5tooldad

Quote from: T-Bone on March 11, 2019, 08:10:44 pm
Who were pitchers on both sides?
Har Ber pitched Blake Adams and Charlie Acuff
Each gave up 3 runs.  Adams in the first, Acuff in the 8th.

Bentonville started Devin Hearn and relieved with Peyton Allen.  Hearn gave up three in the first.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: 5tooldad on March 11, 2019, 09:20:12 pm

Bentonville started Devin Hearn and relieved with Peyton Allen.  Hearn gave up three in the first.

Great game to watch.  Bentonville is a contender.  Strong pitching and solid offense. Good hitters throughout the lineup.  Har Ber remains a very good team.  Both losses have been close ones to outstanding teams.

5tooldad

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on March 11, 2019, 11:25:47 pm
Great game to watch.  Bentonville is a contender.  Strong pitching and solid offense. Good hitters throughout the lineup.  Har Ber remains a very good team.  Both losses have been close ones to outstanding teams.
har Ber is no doubt a very good team.  Watching that game, I get the feeling that Bentonville stole one.  Not taking anything away from Bentonville, but the whole flow of the game felt like Har Ber was ready to explode at any moment....and had the men on base to do it.   Bentonville just made big plays or pitches at big moments. 

Big question for me on the Tigers going into the season was pitching.  It was mostly an unknown from a varsity experience standpoint.  So far, it has been mostly really good with a little bit of just good enough.   

T-Bone

Quote from: 5tooldad on March 11, 2019, 09:20:12 pm

Both good teams. 

5tooldad

Bentonville just run ruled Har Ber for the sweep. 

Hurricane force winds mad it interesting as a fan.  It seemed to effect the Wildcat pitchers but not the Tiger pitcher.  Sophomore Keegan Allen with his second dominant start.  He's Bentonville's best pitcher so far.  He's been dominant and is only a sophomore..  We are very solid defensively and our senior  catcher Sam Golden is the best I've ever seen.  I thought he was a senior but my wife  just said he's a junior.   Our biggest ? Was pitching but so far I've been impressed.  Season is young though.  Our 3rd baseman Senior Keaton Cloyd has been on fire at the plate so far too.  This team just might make some noise in the west this year.

CageMonsterNWA

Tigers are rolling.  Their pitchers and hitters handled the weather with toughness.  Not so much for Har-Ber's guys.  HB will be ooking to bounce back on this upcoming trip to the Redneck Riv.

5tooldad

Bentonville swept a salty Van Buren team this week.  4-0 conference record. 

It was a pleasure watching two talented catchers on display.  In the two games, there were two total steal attempts....one by each team...and both were unsuccessful. 

Rob Van Winkle

Bentonville has really impressed so far with 2 huge series sweeps. VB has had 2 tough series to start things out and are much better than their 0-4 conference record shows.

I think on any given day any of the top 6 teams can beat each other. It all starts with pitching and depends on who is on and who is having an off day. Lots of baseball left.

5tooldad

RVW.....is your boy playing baseball?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 5tooldad on March 29, 2019, 04:08:53 pm
RVW.....is your boy playing baseball?
Yes he decided to play this year. He hasn't played in 5 years so I am glad to see him back out there. Especially since I was the reason he quit.

He's enjoying it and actually having a much better year than I could have imagined after being off so long.

5tooldad

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on March 30, 2019, 11:29:17 am
Yes he decided to play this year. He hasn't played in 5 years so I am glad to see him back out there. Especially since I was the reason he quit.

He's enjoying it and actually having a much better year than I could have imagined after being off so long.
glad to hear it.  Look forward to seeing him play. 

CageMonsterNWA

Enjoyed the crosstown rivalry this week.  Red Dawgs played well but couldn't take advantage of opportunities offensively.  Springdale pitchers looked strong.  HarBer also played well—limited errors, hit and ran bases well. Acuff had a crazy good series—gw pinch hit rbi yesterday and K'd the final batter with tying run on 3rd today, plus added another rbi. Har-ber also may have found a new catcher, who played in his first varsity game yesterday, catching a legit pro prospect and playing in a rivalry. He started today's game, too.

CageMonsterNWA

6A West will begin shaking out this week. Bentonville is in the driver's seat, but just barely. There are some great matchups this week, with BHS playing FHS, plus HBHS playing BWHS. Rogers-Springdale is another important game. Even the Heritage-VanBuren game could have some important implications.

It appears that Bryant has a handle on the 6A Central. I won't count out the other guys, though. Cabot and Conway know how to compete.

5tooldad

How things change!

I leave town for a few days and BHS gets swept by both Fayetteville and Rogers.  I knew Rogers had a shot at the sweep but I figured a split with Fayetteville at worst.   Goes to show you never can tell.  Bounced back with a run rule victory over Springdale tonight in a game where Springdale committed no errors and walked nobody.   Tigers had 14 runs on 19 hits.  I think Springdale is a good team, Tigers we're just hot tonight.   Need to sweep the Red Dogs and West (I wouldn't bet on sweeping either) to get a good draw in the state tourney. 

Man I love high school baseball!

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: 5tooldad on April 22, 2019, 07:19:18 pm
Man I love high school baseball!

Me too.

Wildcats got the win 7-0 tonight and seem to be clicking.  BA was dominant on the bump, and two balls left the yard for the Cats, while a few more hit the fence, all off of quality pitching by Rogers. SS Hunter Wood had another astounding night offensively and defensively. Cats need help from the Red Dogs to get a good tourney draw.  The'll need to bring their alter ego tomorrow night against the Tigers.  Sometimes SHS plays like contenders, but only sometimes.

CageMonsterNWA

Seven out of 8 teams in the West are still alive. Centerton is in the driver's seat, but could fall as far as 5th or 6th if BHS sweeps them, it appears.  Springdale could still squeak in with a sweep of Van Buren. Van Buren would then be out, but they could also finish as high as tied for first if they sweep Springdale and get some help from other teams.  That's crazy.

That first-round bye for the 1 and 2 seeds seems really important, but in 6A several teams have the pitchers to deal with playing an extra game.

Great stuff!!

5tooldad

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on April 28, 2019, 08:56:04 pm

Great stuff!!
agreed. 

I'm super excited about the BHS/Centerton games today and tomorrow.  Would love a Tiger sweep of the other team but know better than to expect anything other tha. The unexpected at this point.  Tigers had a chance to sweep the red dogs last week but allowed 3 runs to score off errors in a 4-3 loss. 

Game tonight at BHS is a fundraiser to fight prostate cancer so everyone come out if you can.   

5tooldad

Tigers with a 7-1 victory.  Left a ton or runners on base and once again, allowed a run off an error......actually two errors.  Ground ball got by third baseman then left fielder let it get by him as well.  Fortunately, senior RHP Devan Hearn pitched a gem of a game and sophomore SS/RHP Peyton Allen closed it out.   

I'd guess there was over 500 lbs of catcher in this game.  Two big men behind the plate tonight.  Looking forward to the rematch tomorrow night. 

CageMonsterNWA

Congrats to the Purple Dogs. HBHS couldn't keep up. HB's ace did not have his A game tonight. It can happen, even to an MLB prospect.

The strike zone was, however, a ridiculous mess, and the umpires blew several big calls that all went against the Cats. A bench coach got tossed for arguing a dropped tag at the plate. He was right—the ball was on the ground. Both umps also missed a huge balk w bases loaded, 1 out in the bottom of the 7th. Lefty pitcher fell off the mound from the wind up, spun and lunged toward third base. No call. 

Regardless, you can't hit/walk batters, make bad baserunning decisions, and K w the bases loaded and expect to win a big game like that. Purple Dogs were better.

5tooldad

Cagemonster..........you've seen the entire 6A west.   I'd be interested to hear who your "best by position" or all conference team would be.  Feel free to list multiple pitchers if you feel like it. 

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: 5tooldad on May 05, 2019, 10:39:26 pm
Cagemonster..........you've seen the entire 6A west.   I'd be interested to hear who your "best by position" or all conference team would be.  Feel free to list multiple pitchers if you feel like it.

Ha, sounds like a trap to me.  My kid, of course, then everyone else.   :D

I made a list, then scratched it out.  Nothing good could come of it.  Just a bunch of dads getting mad that I didn't mention their kid.  It was fun to make the list, though. Thanks for helping me kill 30 minutes.

We'll see what the coaches decided in a couple of weeks. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are what really matter anyway, then there's the game at Baum...

Oh, heck.  I can't resist.  Pitchers only, though. The best pitcher we saw as at Centerton. We couldn't touch him that day. Our guy at HBHS is the real deal, but he was off a bit when it really mattered last week. Bentonville's starter was excellent, too.  As far as the position players—if a guy is hitting over .350 and is fielding above 93%, he should be all conference.  This is a tough league with lots of D1 pitching and hitting.

5tooldad

Quote from: CageMonsterNWA on May 07, 2019, 12:07:22 am
Ha, sounds like a trap to me.  My kid, of course, then everyone else.   :D

I made a list, then scratched it out.  Nothing good could come of it.  Just a bunch of dads getting mad that I didn't mention their kid.  It was fun to make the list, though. Thanks for helping me kill 30 minutes.

We'll see what the coaches decided in a couple of weeks. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are what really matter anyway, then there's the game at Baum...

Oh, heck.  I can't resist.  Pitchers only, though. The best pitcher we saw as at Centerton. We couldn't touch him that day. Our guy at HBHS is the real deal, but he was off a bit when it really mattered last week. Bentonville's starter was excellent, too.  As far as the position players—if a guy is hitting over .350 and is fielding above 93%, he should be all conference.  This is a tough league with lots of D1 pitching and hitting.
lol.....that's the easy way out.  But i'll Follow along.....Blake is obviously the real deal though he wasn't "dominant" against us.  We had the most trouble with Rogers pitching this year.  We faced the tall Watson kid and I believe Templeton.   Both are very good.  Beyond that,  Fayetteville has a couple VERY good pitchers. 

It's hard to pick any outfielders because a) so many pitch as well and b)outside of the ones on our own teams we really don't see that many of their reps.   I think Rogers has an excellent SS.   Sal Jocobo.....his transfer is so smooth.  Looks like a pro fielding the baseball.   Fayetteville also has a good SS in the Stukey kid.  He has good pop too.  Our SS is a Sophomore and is very talented Peyton Allen.  It's been awhile since we played you guys but I think I  recall that you guys had a pretty solid 2nd baseman?    Ours has had a great year and is our lead off.  Levi Bennet. 

No 3rd basemen come to mind as true standouts (and again....this is only based on seeing them each for 1 or 2 games) off the top of my head.  First basemen are kinda the same as outfielders in that many of them also Pitch.   I've seen three really good catchers in the conference this year.  The kid from Rogers is a really good catcher as is the kid from Van Buren.   Our catcher is the best I've ever seen in high school Sam Golden.   

My kid doesn't always play but he works hard and loves being on the team.  I'm glad he's on it.

You are correct about Thursday.  It gets real then. 

whatsamountie

I'm convinced SG's arm is as strong as any high school/college catcher in the state and his defense is equally impressive. Just wondering what DVH's criteria is for a catcher?

CageMonsterNWA

Agree totally w both your comments about SG. Great kid, great player. He will certainly find a place to play at a high level. VB and RHS catchers are excellent as well and will likely play in college at a high level.

5tooldad

After rereading my post, I have NO DOUBT that I overlooked multiple players throughout the league.   Any dads reading this, I'm sure if I heard more names I'd say "oh crud....I forgot about him".    One of the things I love about summer baseball is the opportunity to see and get to know kids from other schools.   heck....we all likely know each other or have at least met.   I enjoy this anonymity though lol.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas