• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionheart88

I know SMU is missing coaches and all, but they're getting killed by Skip Holtz's LA Tech right now.  35-3 with 5:12 left in the 2nd Quarter.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 20, 2017, 06:36:45 am
I think we will be fine. Hate to lose any good Arkansas players. This early signing period leaves little time to build any relationships. Don't think we were getting Bohannon no matter who the coach was.

He has flipped a couple other recruits from Arkansas back to the Hogs from other schools though.

Actually looks like we can sign 12 and not 15. 10 currently committed and he is chasing some decent recruits at least on paper anyway. Do we get them who knows.

Next years class of Arkansas kids will be the tale as the state has some really good players in it for that year. So we will really see what Morris can do as far as a full year of recruiting.

He needs to get a defensive staff in place. Supposedly our DC is still coaching.

Not so sure Arkansas recruits by themselves can support any run at the west much less the SEC championship.  For sure we need to get a DC in place.  I don't think I'd sign with a school unless I knew who the AD was, that is if I was good and was going to play defense.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2017, 08:22:02 pm
I know SMU is missing coaches and all, but they're getting killed by Skip Holtz's LA Tech right now.  35-3 with 5:12 left in the 2nd Quarter.
Yeah I noticed too. They haven't been good in awhile.

bdubyab60

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 20, 2017, 11:28:11 pm
Not so sure Arkansas recruits by themselves can support any run at the west much less the SEC championship.  For sure we need to get a DC in place.  I don't think I'd sign with a school unless I knew who the AD was, that is if I was good and was going to play defense.
Just a lot of folks mad that Bohannon left. Fact is even if old staff was here we would have never had a shot. It does look better if we can at least keep the cream of the Arkansas crop at home.

Hopefully a good DC hire is named here shortly.

bleudog

December 22, 2017, 08:32:46 am #104 Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:40:50 am by bleudog
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2017, 08:22:02 pm

Yep, Tech "got in the left lane and put the hammer down."

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/events/27382/box_score

AirWarren

Nick Fulwider, DE out of Georgia just committed to the Razorbacks. 6'7 260. Had a great offer list.

bdubyab60

Though the class will be short on numbers. It looks like we have picked up some decent players. We will see in a couple years.

friscokid

If Chavis is the guy, giving up 55 to Wake Forest is not the best first impression.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: friscokid on December 29, 2017, 04:51:20 pm
If Chavis is the guy, giving up 55 to Wake Forest is not the best first impression.

As long as he's been around this shouldn't be a first impression tho...

bdubyab60

I'm hoping the stay at A&M is an outlier. If he can improve is from a plus 100 defense we should at least be better right

RZback

Quote from: friscokid on December 29, 2017, 04:51:20 pm

Seems he likes to play lots of prevent on 3rd down throughout his career as a DC.  At UT he gave up lots of big 3rd down plays. 

friscokid

Chavis and Venables are both done for the year, and no word yet. Might Morris be eyeballing Mel Tucker at UGa since Bama's Pruitt is spoken for already?

RZback

Don't worry about defense we will just score more than who we play, simple.

Jacketman65

Quote from: RZback on January 03, 2018, 08:53:09 pm
Don't worry about defense we will just score more than who we play, simple.
Was that not the Petrino philosophy?

beach bum

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 05, 2018, 02:56:48 am
Was that not the Petrino philosophy?

Speaking of Petrino he just got a dose of karma... The only reason he did not take another job this offseason was he thought Lamar Jackson was coming back..... yet Jackson entered the draft so Louisville is looking at a 5-7 record in that insanely tough ACC division they are in.

cuckoobird

I'm pretty sure no coach has ever based there choice of job opportunities on one single 19 or 20 yo athlete

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 05, 2018, 12:13:41 pm
I'm pretty sure no coach has ever based there choice of job opportunities on one single 19 or 20 yo athlete

Coaches strategically leave all the time when they know the talent is dropping off in the coming years wherever they are at.... Of course a coach will stay sometimes when they know they have stacked teams for the future. Coaches are very strategic when it comes to that.... All that said, you are right in the sense that $$$$ will influence the most.

cuckoobird

gameoflife

Ctucker

Quote from: gameoflife on January 06, 2018, 07:17:39 pm
Is there any progress on the DC? 
I guess when he said he was getting best DC he really meant I have no ideal who I will get!

bdubyab60

Supposedly it's Chavis and they aren't announcing until
The entire staff has been picked. But who knows really.

If it's a done deal I'd expect an announcement next week sometime

RZback

So it would seem that unless he is hiring someone off the Bama or Georgia staff  that he is having a problem getting a DC of the caliber needed for the SEC.  I say this because I don't doubt that there are people out there that would jump at an SEC job as Arkansas DC. 

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 07, 2018, 12:17:40 pm
Supposedly it's Chavis and they aren't announcing until
The entire staff has been picked. But who knows really.

If it's a done deal I'd expect an announcement next week sometime

How does that make any sense?

bdubyab60

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 07, 2018, 06:58:35 pm
How does that make any sense?
All we can go off of is what folks are saying. Supposedly Chavis and staff have been talking to recruits on our behalf for a while, even before A&M bowl. Something to do with the extension at A&M could be the hang up in the announcement as well.

But I'm with you guys. Just announce who it is already if that's who it is.

Could be we have missed on everyone we wanted. Could be we are going to announce a big name.

But I'd also rather them have all their ducks in a row than get all the misinformation that came out during the coaching search

RZback

Looks like we don't have our ducks in a row.  I didn't think a coach who is on contract with one school can recruit for another, so unless Chavis has resigned, and surely somebody would know about that, I think we are behind the eight-ball.  Lets get it together.

bdubyab60

January 08, 2018, 07:36:05 pm #125 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:40:11 pm by bdubyab60
Believe A&M has already hired another DC. I think, not 100 on that.

Looked it up and yep they hired Notre Dame DC.

IMO it will be announced soon. Or at least it should be

RZback

It seems strange that we don't have stuff all ready yet. 

bdubyab60

I got looking around after this. I don't have Twitter. But on another forum someone posted a tweet from one of our recruits tweeted. Had a good visit with coach Chavis with the Hog emoji after it.

Morris is wanting to announce the entire staff all at once. Technically the only reason we know about the offensive guys is because just about all of them came from SMU.

I'm sure there will be a big event planned, streamers and parade confetti.

cuckoobird

Frost was recruiting like crazy for Nebraska while preparing to play auburn in the bowl

RZback

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 08, 2018, 08:05:00 pm
Frost was recruiting like crazy for Nebraska while preparing to play auburn in the bowl

He had a contract with Nebraska, and UCF agreed to let him coach the game.

bdubyab60

I'm assuming Chavis has a contract with us now since he is contacting recruits for us

RZback

So it appears the DC is Chavis and has brought Ron Cooper with him to coach secondary.  Lets get the staff names out there, what are they waiting for.  They need to stir up some conversation. 

bdubyab60

It's official and again id expect all the others to fall in to place

bleudog

Ctucker

Surely we could have done better than that!

bdubyab60

Well it's who we got. We will see how it goes. I can say Morris isn't shy about offering scholarships and to highly rated recruits.

As for Chavis he is highly regarded by most. Didn't really knock it out of the park at A&M. Hopefully he can recapture some the old magic and surely has to do better than what we were doing.

Again we will see

bigworm

I think we are in good shape. Time will tell but im excited about these coordinators.

WPWells

To the one who said that we could do better...

How much better do you expect us to do than a guy who's regarded as one of the top 5-10 defensive minds in college football? Honestly, some of you will gripe about anything Arkansas related.

Ctucker

Quote from: WPWells on January 09, 2018, 10:59:18 pm
To the one who said that we could do better...

How much better do you expect us to do than a guy who's regarded as one of the top 5-10 defensive minds in college football? Honestly, some of you will gripe about anything Arkansas related.
maybe he was 10 years ago hasn't done much lately and he had better recruits than we got but we will see! I only grip about hog stuff because I heard your stupid butt goes there!

RZback

I must admit I was hoping we might do a bit better on the hiring of staff.  At least Chavis is a known personality.  He has been off his game a bit but that may be due to talent at A & M.  Lots of younger guys, less college years experience on the staff, I will give Morris credit for being loyal to guys that were with him at SMU. 
First glance seems we are not getting the cream of the college coaching crop.  Hope Morris has some jewels in the rough, this is the big league and we have a lot of work to do.  Hopefully it will all work out.

bdubyab60

I do t think offense is the issue. Morris is an offensive guy so the OC shouldn't be that big of a deal.

As for Chavis yes his A&M years leave a little to be desired. I do think that they were playing a lot of underclassmen, I haven't checked a roster. But they were some some highly rated players.

Hoping they can build something here that looks like a football program.

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 10, 2018, 02:38:10 pm
I do t think offense is the issue. Morris is an offensive guy so the OC shouldn't be that big of a deal.

As for Chavis yes his A&M years leave a little to be desired. I do think that they were playing a lot of underclassmen, I haven't checked a roster. But they were some some highly rated players.

Hoping they can build something here that looks like a football program.

I think both O and D are issues.  Are you thinking Morris will call his own offense? 

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on January 10, 2018, 08:49:36 pm
I think both O and D are issues.  Are you thinking Morris will call his own offense?
I think him and his OC have been together a while and know what each other want and how things work. Why go out and get another guy when you have one that you have trained to run the offense you are already running

RZback

Because this is the SEC and he's going to have to face some of the best teams and defenses in America, but you may be right.  I'm hoping for a 6-6 at least next year but 7-5 would be much better.

gameoflife

I see your point but the program is really down and it may not be fixable in only a year or two.  Chavis should help with what has been a pitiful defense but our staff still has to match wits with the SEC.

nuttinbuthogs

I'm curious as to how the Hogs team is rated for next year.  Based on our returning players where do we stand and how do others in the know expect we will do based on what we know presently.

Valleysports

Not very well - it's not the coaches, it's the recruiting that has to be done.  It's going to take Morris 3 yrs to recruit the players needed to compete in the SEC West (assuming he can)..  After recreational games,  Arkansas starts the SEC, Auburn - A&M - Bama - (0-3)..  Remember when Arkansas played A&M, back in Sept, and they kept saying Freshman this and Freshman that?  Fisher has a Top 25'ish team to start with. 

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on January 12, 2018, 02:50:03 pm
Not very well - it's not the coaches, it's the recruiting that has to be done.  It's going to take Morris 3 yrs to recruit the players needed to compete in the SEC West (assuming he can)..  After recreational games,  Arkansas starts the SEC, Auburn - A&M - Bama - (0-3)..  Remember when Arkansas played A&M, back in Sept, and they kept saying Freshman this and Freshman that?  Fisher has a Top 25'ish team to start with.

A&M is going to finish 6-6 or 7-5 next year so we can actually win that game early in the year.... I have no idea why Fisher would ever leave Florida State for Texas A&M. Well we all know why and that has 75 million answers. Besides that Florida State is a much better job. Kirk left early for A&M and he was the big play threat that won them games the last 2 years. Now for Arkansas, they won't be very good either. A very favorable schedule of Vandy and Mizzou from the East along with 4 games against non power 5 schools will help. Arkansas's season will all come down to if they can go to Fort Collins and beat Colorado State. That won't be an easy game early in a season. If they win that they'll go 4-0 in non conference and find a way to get 2 wins between Miss State, Ole Miss, Vandy, Mizzou, and A&M. I think 6-6 will happen year one even with a suspect roster for Arkansas because they'll win a couple close games they need in a soft by SEC standards schedule.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Valleysports on January 12, 2018, 02:50:03 pm
Not very well - it's not the coaches, it's the recruiting that has to be done.  It's going to take Morris 3 yrs to recruit the players needed to compete in the SEC West (assuming he can).. After recreational games,  Arkansas starts the SEC, Auburn - A&M - Bama - (0-3)..  Remember when Arkansas played A&M, back in Sept, and they kept saying Freshman this and Freshman that?  Fisher has a Top 25'ish team to start with.
I know it took him 3 years to get SMU bowl eligible, but why do you think it'll take that long here?  None of the last 3 coaches has needed 3 years to get bowl eligible.  Or do you mean compete for a trip to Atlanta?  In that case 3 years is probably optimistic.

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on January 12, 2018, 03:05:09 pm
A&M is going to finish 6-6 or 7-5 next year so we can actually win that game early in the year.... I have no idea why Fisher would ever leave Florida State for Texas A&M. Well we all know why and that has 75 million answers. Besides that Florida State is a much better job. Kirk left early for A&M and he was the big play threat that won them games the last 2 years. Now for Arkansas, they won't be very good either. A very favorable schedule of Vandy and Mizzou from the East along with 4 games against non power 5 schools will help. Arkansas's season will all come down to if they can go to Fort Collins and beat Colorado State. That won't be an easy game early in a season. If they win that they'll go 4-0 in non conference and find a way to get 2 wins between Miss State, Ole Miss, Vandy, Mizzou, and A&M. I think 6-6 will happen year one even with a suspect roster for Arkansas because they'll win a couple close games they need in a soft by SEC standards schedule.
I get what you're saying but in actuality A&M is headed in the right direction. Fisher is an upgrade from Sumlin even though his offenses were fun to watch except against the hogs. I will be very surprised if the aggies go 6-6.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas