• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A-4 next year!!

Started by BigMan15, May 10, 2015, 12:59:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

Could be a very interesting year of basketball!! Whos the best freshman coming up and who wins the conference?

WPWells

Two Rivers wins the conference

BigMan15

Longfellow

I think with the added talent on the girls side, should be a conference title for the lady gators. And on the boys side, TR might be adding a few move-ins as well, not top basketball players, but very good athletes. I think we might see 2 or 3 more triple overtime games between TR and Paris. But I hope not

Basketballfan13

What talent did TR add on the girls side?

Longfellow

Savannah Hodges from Danville. And there are some other potential move-ins, but unconfirmed at this point

-Painted Fan-

Don't count out Charleston girls- for the next 3-4 years.
We'll see how that junior high talent, and conference championships, translate at the senior high level.

Longfellow

From what I have seen of the lady Tigers, they aren't the most talented group, but they play well together and are well coached. Might have been the best defensive team in the conference last year. How much do they graduate this year?

-Painted Fan-

I was referring more to the group coming up from junior high. I think we could see at least 2-3 sophomores in the starting lineup.

WPWells

Charleston girls will have the best coach in the conference

#EagleStrong

Boys

1. Paris (4 starters back including an all-state guard and all-conference forward. Good perimeter depth on the bench. Post depth a serious issue though).

2. Two Rivers (3 highly talented guards puts TR in contention for 3A's most potent back court, but big questions in the front court with the loss of Logan Jones).

3. Charleston (Life after Matthew Ward begins, but Michael Ward is a tough match-up and Jackson Rowland is a serious 3-point threat on the perimeter).

4. Atkins (Expected to make the biggest leap. Talented incoming sophomore class and added experience should restore some life to a once-great program).

5. Lamar (Daniel McCarley? Gone. Brady Taylor? Gone. Sparling Killough? Gone. Coach Jerry Miller? Gone. But, they hired an excellent coach, have the conference's best true center in Blake Kern and a competent guard in Brown. It will be interesting to see how Lamar fares next season).

6. Danville (Supposedly moving down, but nevertheless, the loss of Grant Cathey and, more significantly, Jay Trusty puts a serious damper on their chances. Jake Madding should be a steady hand for them though).

7. Booneville (Supposedly moving up, not that it really matters unfortunately. Clearly behind every other team in the conference, but I do expect them to show some marked improvement).

All in all, Paris and TR look to have distanced themselves somewhat from the rest of the conference. Both have very, very good guards. Paris seems to have the edge in terms of post play and bench play at least right now. We'll have to wait and see about any move-ins that would shake it up a bit. Charleston-Atkins-Lamar all seem like they're in a scrum for 3rd. All three are capable, if a bit incomplete in certain areas. It's hard to envision Danville anywhere other than 6, but they appear to be moving down to 2A, while Booneville is supposedly moving up to 4A. Interesting to see what that does to the conference next year and if any new teams move in (e.g. Mansfield).

As for girls...I really don't know, but TR looks like they'll be pretty solid. Charleston too.

WPWells

The conference will be the same next year. The teams won't move around until the following year

-Painted Fan-

I don't think you've been paying attention. Will that All-State player still be wearing Paris blue? The rumors- and post on here- have him moving on. Could we see him in Gator blue and orange? Maybe Warrior orange? Pottsville? Clarksville? Maybe Harrison?
Or the scariest rumor of all- imagine him in Episcopal green?
Who knows? Only time will tell...

Longfellow

Also on the rumor mill, Jake Madding may be moving to Two Rivers next year. It's not 100% but it is on the table

#EagleStrong

Fenner will be at Paris. I can say that confidently.

If Madding indeed moves to TR that does two things. For one it gives TR some much needed depth, although it does little to solve their front court woes. Secondly, it completely kneecaps Danville. He would have had to basically carry that team anyway.

#EagleStrong

Morgan Yates
Colby Whitlow
Garrot Brimm
Jake Madding

A four guard offense with that perimeter would be deadly. Add a serviceable post and this conference could be looking at two legitimate top 5 contenders next year. Probably won't have the depth that the 1E looks to have, but it would have the best top two this side of ECS/Jessieville.

Longfellow

The one returning big man for the gators should be able to hold his own. He is a tough rebounder and solid defender but has a tendency to find the bench due to foul trouble

Bones1084

I doubt very seriously that Fenner will stay at Paris if Hutson is still there.

eagle-fan

May 10, 2015, 07:52:10 pm #18 Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:59:40 pm by eagle-fan
Quote from: -Painted Fan- on May 10, 2015, 03:16:22 pm
I don't think you've been paying attention. Will that All-State player still be wearing Paris blue? The rumors- and post on here- have him moving on. Could we see him in Gator blue and orange? Maybe Warrior orange? Pottsville? Clarksville? Maybe Harrison?
Or the scariest rumor of all- imagine him in Episcopal green?
Who knows? Only time will tell...
Just got back in town an hour ago from a short business trip and catching up a bit.. I hope the Fenner young man does stay at Paris! He has great talent and his dad loves basketball. From what I saw in 3-4 games last season, one at Charleston, he seems to be a leader and someone that would rather be the athlete that can make an average team like Paris become a very good team and a possible state tournament team. I can not see his wanting to be one of 2-3 studs on a great basketball team but rather someone who is well known for making a team special on his own. That seems to draw a lot more attention to scouts, especially if Paris would  be a top 2 team in 4-3A and top 10 in 3A.. Speaks a lot about being a well rounded athlete in my opinion.

BigMan15

Charleston girls will be good also the Two Rivers girls will be good..PARIS girls will most likely not be in the race this year depending on what happens with Peevy..

Basketballfan13

Is Peevy one of the girls who quit?

Chalant

No, Peevy rumored to be leaving because of what happened.

tiger2016

Lets not rule out Charleston, Charleston could very well get the conference championship. It all depends on if we can fire out of the gates fast and keep it up. There were a bunch of games where we started really bad and pulled it out in the 4th except for Two Rivers and Lamar. The third game vs Lamar was not Tiger Basketball when we only scored 2 points in the last quarter and eventually lost.

b-ball fan

How will the Fenner kid moving affect how this conference shakes out?

BigMan15

Honestly it gives two rivers the edge but it wouldnt surprise me if theres a 3way tie for first

#EagleStrong

1. Two Rivers

2. Charleston

3. Paris

4. Atkins

5. Lamar

6.  Danville

7. Booneville

If Madding indeed moves to TR, they're the definitive #1, and Danville might be behind Booneville. Way too much talent lost to compete. TR, Charleston, Paris, and West Fork should be the state representatives out of the region unless Lavaca, Greenland, or Haas Hall can make some unexpected strides and knock out Charleston or Paris. Otherwise this is a fairly weak region all around next year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Longfellow on May 10, 2015, 10:23:05 am
Savannah Hodges from Danville. And there are some other potential move-ins, but unconfirmed at this point

heard that they got a move-in from dardanelle as well....Supposedly already enrolled?

And the Hodges girls isn't technically a move in....She just transfered to the school district she's always lived in...

Longfellow

The girl from Dardanelle may be enrolled already, but I'm not 100% on that. But she is supposed to be playing for TR next year.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: #EagleStrong on May 10, 2015, 05:40:51 pm
Fenner will be at Paris. I can say that confidently.

If Madding indeed moves to TR that does two things. For one it gives TR some much needed depth, although it does little to solve their front court woes. Secondly, it completely kneecaps Danville. He would have had to basically carry that team anyway.

What happened??

RTF

It is starting to look like Two Rivers may be the team to beat in the boys next year in this conference, but then again, I am sure Charleston's boys coach will have some kids move in with him and ready to go too lol.....

WPWells

RTF

lol maybe? whats that sayin? "if ya ain't cheatin you ain't tryin?"

WPWells

Either prove that Charleston has cheated, or retract the statement. If you don't produce proof in 24 hours I'll report this post to the moderators for libel

RTF

lol getting fiesty I see... your the one that posted and I quote "Jealous?"

OLDSCHOOL82

WPWells

In your original post you didn't make accusations of cheating

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 13, 2015, 04:22:13 pm
Either prove that Charleston has cheated, or retract the statement. If you don't produce proof in 24 hours I'll report this post to the moderators for libel

I hope ur kidding.

beach bum

May 14, 2015, 11:28:37 am #37 Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:35:07 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ChucktownTiger on May 14, 2015, 09:17:25 am

I hope ur kidding.

I would like to see his reaction to real life problems, not a person taking petty jabs at a town of a few thousand people. Shiloh has mega money from Cross Church in NWA and you didn't hear their fans threatening people left and right when questioning Shiloh was pretty justified. Take it for what it is. A petty jab.

WPWells

Ask if they've gotten any reports from me

RTF

Its amazing how far Shiloh has come lol....

basketballjones

I'd give the edge to Charleston over Two Rivers due to the move-in and coaching

beach bum

May 15, 2015, 10:59:01 am #41 Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:02:25 am by beach bum
Quote from: RTF on May 14, 2015, 02:53:55 pm

The one year sit out rule for public to private transfer has neutralized them. They will most of the time just be a good team and have trouble dominating like in the past. Plus, the emergence of Hass Hall gives kids another option in NWA besides Shiloh to go to if as a parent you are looking to go away from the traditional public school route.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: basketballjones on May 15, 2015, 10:36:42 am
I'd give the edge to Charleston over Two Rivers due to the move-in and coaching

All I'll say in Paris's defense here is that when these seniors were in junior high, the Eagles won the district tournament. That was with Fenner at Charleston and when Harrison Newhart was still playing. Two Rivers punched the Tigers square in the mouth in the district semifinals before losing to Paris. Of course, Paris has a bit of a reputation for solid junior high teams that yield diminishing returns in senior high. I don't think that will hold true for this bunch. They still have three good starters back including two all-conference players. They also have a deep bench at guard if they try to make up Fenner's production by committee. Obviously no one player will be able to do what he did. Now, I'm not saying Paris deserves to open up the year as the conference favorite by any means, but at least recognize that this isn't a two-horse race between Two Rivers and Charleston now.

Longfellow

For Paris to win consistently, Hampton is gonna have to put up some outstanding numbers. Without Fitzjurls and now without Fenner, they lose a lot of offensive production. And Fitzjurls was a very good defender on the perimeter

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on May 15, 2015, 12:52:32 pm
For Paris to win consistently, Hampton is gonna have to put up some outstanding numbers. Without Fitzjurls and now without Fenner, they lose a lot of offensive production. And Fitzjurls was a very good defender on the perimeter

It'll be interesting to see. The point guard Nehus is developing really nicely and has somewhat quietly been all-conference both years of high school. They have some young guards that can shoot really well. There's a lot of competition to replace the voids left by Fitzjurls and Fenner. About five or so guys, hardly scrubs, but none really look like the complete package. But Hampton came out of nowhere, so maybe a couple will emerge through summer and preseason.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on May 14, 2015, 11:28:37 am

I hope ur kidding.

I would like to see his reaction to real life problems, not a person taking petty jabs at a town of a few thousand people. Shiloh has mega money from Cross Church in NWA and you didn't hear their fans threatening people left and right when questioning Shiloh was pretty justified. Take it for what it is. A petty jab.
Quote from: beach bum on May 14, 2015, 11:28:37 am

I hope ur kidding.

Problem is most can't leave it to the petty jabs... we had a situation to that poi n t on 1a board during the season...
Quote from: beach bum on May 15, 2015, 10:59:01 am
Quote from: RTF on May 14, 2015, 02:53:55 pm

The one year sit out rule for public to private transfer has neutralized them. They will most of the time just be a good team and have trouble dominating like in the past. Plus, the emergence of Hass Hall gives kids another option in NWA besides Shiloh to go to if as a parent you are looking to go away from the traditional public school route.

Haas Hal's enrollment looks to be exploding with them now having 2 campuses in nwa

1-Adam-12

June 14, 2015, 11:51:44 pm #46 Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:55:11 pm by 1-Adam-12
I have read this over a couple of times and now am ready to weigh in with my take.

Boys is between TR and Charleston IMO. The supposed move-ins on each team will help immensely. Paris will remain tough as well and Lamar can't be counted out. Atkins could surprise a few people as well.

I agree that Booneville should make great strides this year. Last year we knew we were going to have it tough coming in because the players we had had scored a total of nine  points at the varsity level. At times we started 4 sophs. They will be improved this year; The things I've heard from team camps have been encouraging.

In the girls, Lamar and TR both look pretty salty, especially with the move-in from Danville to TR.  Charleston had a very off year but I look for them to bounce back.

As for Paris a lot is riding on what Peevy does. If she goes, not only will it affect basketball but volleyball too.  They would still be good in VB, but would be more vulnerable to Mansfield and Booneville.  I will address this further on the volleyball board when the time comes.

Our girls will have a new coach this coming season; the junior high coach is moving up. I think you can see a lot of improvement out of the girls as well. Especially when you consider we have a 6-2 post and some other players that will help moving up from junior high.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

#EagleStrong

ThTwway I see it this conference will have 2-3 high quality teams, but no powerhouse. Fenner moving to Charleston upgrades them from a middling, rebuilding team, but I'm not willing to put them up with ECS, Cedar Ridge, Valley Springs, and the like this year. I think the conference puts three teams in St state joining West Fork from the region, but it's hard to see any of them making a huge run, yet at least. Teams and players will develop, and a lot of state tourney success depends on the draw.

TR will have the best back court and a wealth of athleticism,  buy they've often been too erratic. Their best will be tough to beat though.

Charleston will have the best guard - post tandem with Fenner and Ward and really nice players around them. Most complete looking team right now.

Paris will have the second best g-p tandem with Nehus and Hampton. They'll need more offensive production out of the two though.

Atkins should be the most improved team and shouldn't be taken lightly. This is historically the conference's best program and they're on an upswing.

Lamar will have the biggest post presence in Kern, although he was shown up by the smaller Hampton in the district title game. Also have a decent guard in Brown, but it's an uphill clump for them this year.

Danville will have Jake Madding, but without Trusty and Cathey they're likely to struggle in some spots.

Booneville should be really improved and will be much more competitive. If Lamar and Danville struggle they could potentially finish as high as fifth, but it's hard to see them swinging with the talent at 1-4.

Top players should be:
Brandon Fenner, Charleston
Michael Ward, Charleston
Colby Whitlow, Two Rivers
Morgan Yates, Two Rivers
Garrot Brimm, Two Rivers
Gage Hampton, Paris
Wyatt Nehus, Paris
Jordan Vaughn,  Atkins
Chris Beard, Atkins
Blake Kern, Lamar
Zack Brown, Lamar
Jake Madding, Danville

Emerging players (that I know of):
Jackson Rowland, Charleston
Chase Ewing, Charleston
Phillip Hampton, Charleston
Kris Graham, Paris
Race Taylor, Paris
Tyler Atchison, Paris
Zach Harris, Atkins
Parker Sweetin, Atkins
Jesus Dominguez, Danville

WPWells

Good breakdown. Might also include Mason Wisdom for Charleston on emerging players

Longfellow

As far as emerging players, don't overlook Skylar Cano from TR. He is the only big man returning for the Gators, so he'll have to play without fouling. Good size, tough on the glass, very good defensively, great passer from the post. Offensively, he has good footwork, but struggles making shots consistently. He is gonna be the glue guy for this TR team this year

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas