• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2018-2019

Started by beach bum, November 07, 2018, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekOxford

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 12, 2019, 11:14:44 pm
If I were the AD, MA would be in my office tomorrow for a talk!  Are we watching him do to basketball what Bielama did to football?  It appears to me that he is getting a little bit to comfortable, needs a little heat on his butt!

MA isn't as bad as Bielema, but he certainly hasn't achieved to this point what conventional wisdom pointed towards when he was hired. Obviously there's a lot of season left and they could get on a roll but a lot of the same stuff that we've seen before is happening. No faith that anything is going to be different this time.

Lumberjackfan1978

bdubyab60

bulldoghistorian

bulldoghistorian

Mike just got t'd up
They may hit 100 before it's over!

bdubyab60

Just look at what Anderson lost from last year. Who's darn fault is that

bdubyab60

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on January 15, 2019, 07:42:24 pm
Mike just got t'd up
They may hit 100 before it's over!
About time he showed some fire

Trojanbird

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 15, 2019, 07:44:18 pm
About time he showed some fire
Once again we are paying big bucks for a under performing coach!  Same problem, different sport!

bulldoghistorian

We'll be catching Ole Miss in a bad mood Saturday! They just lost at home to LSU 83-69

bdubyab60

Ole Miss are our best chances for wins the next two weeks I think

bdubyab60

As for last night that should have opened a lot folks eyes. We are in year 8 and still haven't been relevant in the national stage. TN, Barnes is in year 4 and relevant and a title contender. At freaking TN.

Last night looked like men amongst boys. Yeah TN has a veteran group but even their bench looked huge compared to our starters. All the way down the line. ALL of them looked like they could play ball as well. Also mostly 2 and 3 star players.

Outside of Joe and Jones we have no complete BASKETBALL players. Athletes yes, basketball players no. When Gafford and those two were in the bench we had nothing to score effectively. Completely looking like something I could go down to the park and watch. TN literally left Gabe open at the 3 point line for 5 seconds before he decided to travel with the ball.

When you have to rely on turnovers to be offensively good it's not good.

There will continue will continue to be detractors and I guess supporters. I want us to win and big. I'm a Razorback fan. Not a coach fan.

This program should be where TN is now and should have been years ago. Just getting in should no longer be accepted. We aren't making it in this year unless there is a huge turn around and I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe we are anything other than bubble team material next year as well.

IMO it's to time to make a change at the end of the year. And I'll stick by that even if there is a huge turnaround. Because 8 years is enough to tell us what we have in a coach and I keep seeing the same thing every year in our weaknesses.

I root for us to win every game, want us to win every game. I want to be excited that we are good and not just losing close games. I want to have confidence that when we play that we are going to win most of the time and not have to make a late season run to get in the tourney. I want teams to fear playing us. For them to know the Hogs are coming to town and you better be ready. I want to go in to a top 10 teams place and it be a pickem game.

We should be that good by now. A coach can win and win big at Arkansas. There is no excuse

Romeo

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 16, 2019, 05:26:35 am
As for last night that should have opened a lot folks eyes. We are in year 8 and still haven't been relevant in the national stage. TN, Barnes is in year 4 and relevant and a title contender. At freaking TN.

Last night looked like men amongst boys. Yeah TN has a veteran group but even their bench looked huge compared to our starters. All the way down the line. ALL of them looked like they could play ball as well. Also mostly 2 and 3 star players.

Outside of Joe and Jones we have no complete BASKETBALL players. Athletes yes, basketball players no. When Gafford and those two were in the bench we had nothing to score effectively. Completely looking like something I could go down to the park and watch. TN literally left Gabe open at the 3 point line for 5 seconds before he decided to travel with the ball.

When you have to rely on turnovers to be offensively good it's not good.

There will continue will continue to be detractors and I guess supporters. I want us to win and big. I'm a Razorback fan. Not a coach fan.

This program should be where TN is now and should have been years ago. Just getting in should no longer be accepted. We aren't making it in this year unless there is a huge turn around and I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe we are anything other than bubble team material next year as well.

IMO it's to time to make a change at the end of the year. And I'll stick by that even if there is a huge turnaround. Because 8 years is enough to tell us what we have in a coach and I keep seeing the same thing every year in our weaknesses.

I root for us to win every game, want us to win every game. I want to be excited that we are good and not just losing close games. I want to have confidence that when we play that we are going to win most of the time and not have to make a late season run to get in the tourney. I want teams to fear playing us. For them to know the Hogs are coming to town and you better be ready. I want to go in to a top 10 teams place and it be a pickem game.

We should be that good by now. A coach can win and win big at Arkansas. There is no excuse

There is a recent article the Athletic did on the Tennessee strength program. You have to be a subscriber to read it, but their strength coach apparently puts them through a very brutal workout program and its shows from the players physique. There's a before and after picture of #5 where it looks like he went from J.J. from Good Times to Terry Crews.

https://theathletic.com/760398/2019/01/14/fat-camp-inside-the-program-that-has-helped-shape-tennessee-into-a-title-contender/

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on January 16, 2019, 07:03:53 am
There is a recent article the Athletic did on the Tennessee strength program. You have to be a subscriber to read it, but their strength coach apparently puts them through a very brutal workout program and its shows from the players physique. There's a before and after picture of #5 where it looks like he went from J.J. from Good Times to Terry Crews.

https://theathletic.com/760398/2019/01/14/fat-camp-inside-the-program-that-has-helped-shape-tennessee-into-a-title-contender/

Our strength programs at Arkansas have a long standing history of being garbage.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Romeo on January 16, 2019, 07:03:53 am

They covered it during the game some. We got bullied

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 16, 2019, 04:55:20 am
Ole Miss are our best chances for wins the next two weeks I think
Next week we're back at home to face Mizzou and Georgia, both winnable.

bdubyab60

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on January 16, 2019, 12:31:02 pm
Next week we're back at home to face Mizzou and Georgia, both winnable.
Fir some reason mizzou disappeared. But the way we play nothing is a given. We aren't protecting home court. I actually think we have played worse at BWA.

Right now I'm not seeing a magical run in this team. And we will go through all of this and be a bubble team next year, again.

bdubyab60

I don't care what anyone says. It's 3 visits to the tourney now in 8 years and we are completely rebuilding. It's like year one again and MA doesn't have his players. That's what we were waiting on right. Him to get his guys.

He's gonna get his guys and then it's just gonna be rolling again.

Well it ain't rolling. It's staying afloat. Not the worst it's been but not as good as it should be.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 16, 2019, 01:24:19 pm
I don't care what anyone says. It's 3 visits to the tourney now in 8 years and we are completely rebuilding. It's like year one again and MA doesn't have his players. That's what we were waiting on right. Him to get his guys.

He's gonna get his guys and then it's just gonna be rolling again.

Well it ain't rolling. It's staying afloat. Not the worst it's been but not as good as it should be.
we definitely aren't rolling.

bdubyab60

This year it's gonna be we were young. Wait til these guys get the experience. It's every presser, MA takes no blame for how we start games. Just imagine the narrative if we don't dig double digit holes against at least two of our opponents and wait to start playing with 5 minutes to go.

Next year it's going to be Gafford left for the NBA wait til we get another good center in here. Bubble team, bubble team.

And all these folks were high on Perry and then mad when he went to MSU and can't touch the floor there. That's the kind of players MA is recruiting

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 17, 2019, 07:14:38 am
This year it's gonna be we were young. Wait til these guys get the experience. It's every presser, MA takes no blame for how we start games. Just imagine the narrative if we don't dig double digit holes against at least two of our opponents and wait to start playing with 5 minutes to go.

Next year it's going to be Gafford left for the NBA wait til we get another good center in here. Bubble team, bubble team.

And all these folks were high on Perry and then mad when he went to MSU and can't touch the floor there. That's the kind of players MA is recruiting

What's crazy is that Ethan Henderson was like the 29th rated player in the nation, highest rated player from the state and can't see the floor on a struggling team so that's technically two top 30 recruits at the 4 position not seeing playing time in the conference both who were committed here to start. MA honestly owes people an explanation as to why the player who was ranked the highest in this class is not playing at all especially when Bailey and Gabe are playing horrendously who play the same position as Henderson. You're telling me Henderson was that much of a bust he can't play over those two guys??

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on January 17, 2019, 09:16:01 am
What's crazy is that Ethan Henderson was like the 29th rated player in the nation, highest rated player from the state and can't see the floor on a struggling team so that's technically two top 30 recruits at the 4 position not seeing playing time in the conference both who were committed here to start. MA honestly owes people an explanation as to why the player who was ranked the highest in this class is not playing at all especially when Bailey and Gabe are playing horrendously who play the same position as Henderson. You're telling me Henderson was that much of a bust he can't play over those two guys??
Agree +1

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 17, 2019, 09:16:01 am
That's true as well. And the main reason he doesn't play those guys is because he plays his experienced guys no matter how good they are. Gabe and Bailey would be examples. They contribute very little besides hustle plays now and then.

DerekOxford

I would've never dreamed we would be at this point with Mike, but here we are.

If they don't find a way to beat Missouri or Georgia at home, finishing 13th or 14th in the SEC becomes very realistic.

Trojanbird

bdubyab60

We have Ole Miss Saturday. A team that was picked dead last that we have more talent than. With a first year head coach, who doesn't have his players. They are ranked in his first year, go figure.

But I continue to see people fine with where our program is.

At any rate, this is a winnable game imo. Lots of folks had it written down as one st least

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 18, 2019, 07:04:12 am
We have Ole Miss Saturday. A team that was picked dead last that we have more talent than. With a first year head coach, who doesn't have his players. They are ranked in his first year, go figure.

But I continue to see people fine with where our program is.

At any rate, this is a winnable game imo. Lots of folks had it written down as one st least
It should be a winnable game but I don't know now.We are not playing well at all for the most part

Lumberjackfan1978

bulldoghistorian

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on January 18, 2019, 05:11:30 pm
Lol IKR, 4 weeks from today! I'm ready!
Me to.That's a sport we are good at.

bulldoghistorian

Today went about the way I thought it would. Ho-hum

Romeo

The program has gotten to the point where its reached the definition of insanity. Eight years, and we still have the same issues. Can't rebound and can't guard the perimeter. Puzzling substitution patterns. I've already said after last season that we've reached the ceiling with MA as the coach. We'll never get any further than the second round of the tournament. There's no point at even caring any more until a coaching change is made.

bdubyab60

I was hoping but it as a fools hope. Davis is doing this first year folks and doesn't even have his guys

bdubyab60

So sitting at 10-7 with 14 games to go. Schedule does lighten up in spots.

The way we are playing. I see 5-9 the rest of the way.

15-16 overall, no post season.

Trojanbird

Quote from: Romeo on January 19, 2019, 02:01:30 pm
The program has gotten to the point where its reached the definition of insanity. Eight years, and we still have the same issues. Can't rebound and can't guard the perimeter. Puzzling substitution patterns. I've already said after last season that we've reached the ceiling with MA as the coach. We'll never get any further than the second round of the tournament. There's no point at even caring any more until a coaching change is made.
My question is - Is Arkansas afraid to make a move on Anderson after the Nolan ordeal?  He seems to have gotten pretty comfortable!  After 8 years we are still in the "wait till next year's recruits get here" mode.  Enough all ready!

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 19, 2019, 06:55:18 pm
My question is - Is Arkansas afraid to make a move on Anderson after the Nolan ordeal?  He seems to have gotten pretty comfortable!  After 8 years we are still in the "wait till next year's recruits get here" mode.  Enough all ready!
I think MA has done about as much as he's ever gonna do

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 19, 2019, 07:52:49 pm
I think MA has done about as much as he's ever gonna do

Definitely looks like we're on the backside of his peak....

bdubyab60

Yep. On the down hill side of things for sure. Bubble bubble bubble

DerekOxford

The movers and shakers over on Hogville are predicting a change at the end of the season. We'll see what happens.

beach bum

January 20, 2019, 04:40:00 pm #138 Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:47:00 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Trojanbird on January 19, 2019, 06:55:18 pm

Not what I think should or should not happen, but as a guess if we have another dud season next year he will be gone next spring.... An NCAA appearance next year will save his job even if its a 1st round bounce.... We have to remember how the U of A is ran and their loyalty to MA. I think for the first time in his tenure here he will be coaching for his job next year. New AD does not go way back with MA obviously so he won't keep him for the sake of keeping him. I can't see the big wigs at the U of A canning him this year unless they under the table have a home run hire. This is not my opinion on what I would do, just trying to take a guess as to what the people who call the shots think.

bdubyab60

I don't think they are firing MA. I think they should though, that's my opinion. Let's say he finishes .500 this year. Gafford more than likely leaves for the NBA, but who knows. At best this is a bubble team next year even with Gafford.

Some fans are happy with just getting in the tourney. That's fine and dandy. I've posted mine and just making it is not going to cut it.

Being out of the SEC race by the end of the first two weeks of conference play is not going to cut it.

I've seen folks saying well if we hadn't have gotten such a bad draw. Well if we weren't such a roller coaster of a team each year guess what happens. You get better seeding.

We shouldn't be the youngest team in the country. MAs roster management and retention has been horrible. And pointing out that not many of those that have transferred haven't really done much doesn't help either. MA recruited those players. So then we would have still had mediocre players here.

It's time to move on. Not everything has been bad. Just not good enough or where the program should be after 8 years. Especially when we the SEC was down when MA took over and now we see a handful of programs make turnarounds in half the time that we have

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 20, 2019, 10:22:58 pm
I don't think they are firing MA. I think they should though, that's my opinion. Let's say he finishes .500 this year. Gafford more than likely leaves for the NBA, but who knows. At best this is a bubble team next year even with Gafford.

Some fans are happy with just getting in the tourney. That's fine and dandy. I've posted mine and just making it is not going to cut it.

Being out of the SEC race by the end of the first two weeks of conference play is not going to cut it.

I've seen folks saying well if we hadn't have gotten such a bad draw. Well if we weren't such a roller coaster of a team each year guess what happens. You get better seeding.

We shouldn't be the youngest team in the country. MAs roster management and retention has been horrible. And pointing out that not many of those that have transferred haven't really done much doesn't help either. MA recruited those players. So then we would have still had mediocre players here.

It's time to move on. Not everything has been bad. Just not good enough or where the program should be after 8 years. Especially when we the SEC was down when MA took over and now we see a handful of programs make turnarounds in half the time that we have
We are definitely not where we should be after 8 years and the way it looks we won't be much better off in the next 8 years unless changes are made

OB11

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on January 22, 2019, 04:33:49 pm
We are definitely not where we should be after 8 years and the way it looks we won't be much better off in the next 8 years unless changes are made

What does MA's contract situation look like?

bdubyab60

2 years left after this one I think

bulldoghistorian

Down 14-2 at the 1st media timeout!

HorseFeathers

bulldoghistorian

bdubyab60

Luckily mizzou tried to get Helter skelter with us so it git to our pace. They just seem to hit a 3 every time we get close.

2-2 in these next 4 shouldn't be unreasonable. Anything less unacceptable

Trojanbird

Would not surprise me if we lose this game.  No reason for it to be this close at home! 5 to go.  Soft coaching.

Lumberjackfan1978

bdubyab60

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas