• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Article about PA coach

Started by Red Devil Alum, December 17, 2014, 05:03:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Devil Alum

There's been a lot of talk on this board about Kevin Kelley's strategies and why he believes in it.  This article is part of a series trying to explain it.  I think it's well done if you have any interest in the topic:

http://afcaweekly.com/2014/12/4th-and-always-asking-why-as-a-football-coach/

Grond

Really good article.

In my opinion, Pulaski Academy has an extremely well coached team, and players that do an excellent job of carrying out the play systems.

Because PA operates at a high level, it ALLOWS them to conduct tactics like "always on-side kicking".

FD4

Coach K explained to me once that it was all about the percentages.  Like 4 down plays.  He said if your group knows they are getting 4 instead of 3 downs to make the line to gain, they play with a different mind set.  Percentage wise, it shows to be in the favor of going for it rather than not.  If you punt, and don't get a return on average you get a 35 yard flip of the field.  If you get a return it's usually a 25 yard flip or you run the risk of a return for a TD.  Onside kick recoveries are also in your favor, and as for field position, a good KO return may net the opposition the 50 or so.  He also said that his offense is designed to get his play makers in a position to make plays.  Even Wynne's 4th down percentage was greater than it's 3rd down percentage on the season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas