• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Reading List

Started by True Believer, May 26, 2013, 08:43:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

My Summer Reading List is.......

1. Inferno by Dan Brown

2. Paris by Edward Rutherford

3. A Delicate Truth by John le Carre'

4.  Life After Life by Jill McCorkle

And I will be in heaven!   

What is your list? 

Texarkana_Piggie

reading bone bed by patricia cornwell right now.  then i'm going to read inferno.  then a couple of books by ted dekker i'm behind on!  then a couple of james patterson books i want to catch up on.  there is also a new mary kay andrews coming out i want to read.

True Believer

Looks good piggie.

How many of us go to the public library?  How many would rather go to a book store and buy the book?   How many of us have kindles, etc??   

Our library lets you download books and it's wonderful!!! 

Texarkana_Piggie

i either buy them or download them.  our library is in a bad part of town and sadly i do not feel safe going in and out of it.  plus, sometimes i read two or three books at a time and don't always finish in the 2 week checkout time and i hate making trips down there. 

sixthman

Right now I'm reading The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer but I also intend to read a couple I haven't got around to yet. Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz and 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

I like to go to the library and randomly pull a couple of books. I call it literature roulette. Sometimes I can't get through them and sometimes I find real gems.

-Painted Fan-

I just went to a $2-a-bag book sale a couple weeks ago at the Fort Smith Public Library.
I stuffed 18 books into one bag, and 11 of them were hardbacks!
I got some Stephen King and Dean Koontz that I'm keeping, and a few Janette Oke and Tim LaHaye & Jerry B. Jenkins that I'm donating to our church library.

-Painted Fan-

I'm thinking of getting World War Z by Max Brooks, before the movie comes out over Independence Day holiday.

True Believer

Lions84

Other than trying to read the Bible more I will hit some of the new CW books at our local Library.

Russ PhD

Here is the list of books I have read already this summer:
http://depriest-mpu.blogspot.com/p/what-has-russ-been-reading.html

This page will give you some recommendations for indie authors that deserve a look.  Most of the first novels or books in the series here are free at Smashwords:
http://depriest-mpu.blogspot.com/p/russs-smashwords-bookshelf.html

In case you can't tell, I read a lot.

Texarkana_Piggie

I am also going to finish the Narnia books.  I am on the last one.

Manningfan

I had to read to Bible for Literature class lol long book

DogsWin7

I just finished reading Run! By Dean Karnazes.   All I can say is WOW!  What a great inspiration he is.  Glad I took the advice of a friend to read it.   

A new book of his called "The Legend of Marathon: Retracing the Ancient Battle and Epic Run that Inspired the greatest foot race"  looks to be good.   I don't think it is going to be released until March though.

I need to read "50 Marathons in 50 Days" for tips to help with endurance.   

Texarkana_Piggie

I never got to inferno this summer.  I read sassy belles, whistling Dixie in a nor'easter and Yankee Doodle Dixie.  Read a few by jennifer weiner. I really like her stuff.

True Believer

Read "Bad Monkey" by Carl Hiaasen.

Pretty darn good. 

Lions84

I read the Civil War series by Shebly Foote.

DogsWin7

Any suggestions for Fall reading lists?        I order books online to read as I don't go to the library. 

Texarkana_Piggie

i'm reading blood and beauty right now.  historical fiction about rodrigo borgia and his rise to the papacy.  i love stuff like this.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on November 05, 2013, 10:35:58 pm
Any suggestions for Fall reading lists?        I order books online to read as I don't go to the library. 

Quiet by Susan Cain.

Halfway through it right now.  It explains a lot of things.

Kazimierz

Quote from: True Believer on May 27, 2013, 03:36:46 pm
Looks good piggie.

How many of us go to the public library?  How many would rather go to a book store and buy the book?   How many of us have kindles, etc??   

This is my local library right now. http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/buildings/lbd/growing-room-st-louis-public-librarys-grand-central-renovation/#_

Right now, my wife and I have decided to go Faulkner for a while. Last year we re-Hemingway-ed. Now it's time for Faulkner. I will start with Absalom Absalom, then to As I Lay Dying.

My wife worked through college (Ole Miss) at the historic home of William Faulkner. And, I would recommend that everyone listen or read his Nobel Prize speech, it is great.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 07, 2013, 03:43:24 pm

Quiet by Susan Cain.

I'll read it.     The Quiet Power.    I prefer quiet oddly...although I need to read more And post less.  :)

We listen too much to the telephone and we listen too little to nature. The wind is one of my sounds. A lonely sound, perhaps, but soothing. Everybody should have his personal sounds to listen for—sounds that will make him exhilarated and alive, or quiet and calm... As a matter of fact, one of the greatest sounds of them all—and to me it is a sound—is utter, complete silence.  ~André Kostelanetz

Lions84

The Fall is filled with HS Football and Cheerleading.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on November 08, 2013, 04:41:39 am

Quiet by Susan Cain.

I'll read it.     The Quiet Power.    I prefer quiet oddly...although I need to read more And post less.  :)

We listen too much to the telephone and we listen too little to nature. The wind is one of my sounds. A lonely sound, perhaps, but soothing. Everybody should have his personal sounds to listen for—sounds that will make him exhilarated and alive, or quiet and calm... As a matter of fact, one of the greatest sounds of them all—and to me it is a sound—is utter, complete silence.  ~André Kostelanetz

She has introverts nailed.  Too many think that being introverted means something far different than what it really is.  That book should be reading for everyone. 

We as a society need to stop putting all stock in extroverts by automatically ascribing them as leaders, even when they're incompetent, clueless, etc.  Gregariousness does not equal leadership.  There is much to the quiet leader.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 12, 2013, 12:10:29 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on November 08, 2013, 04:41:39 am

Quiet by Susan Cain.

She has introverts nailed.  Too many think that being introverted means something far different than what it really is.  That book should be reading for everyone. 

We as a society need to stop putting all stock in extroverts by automatically ascribing them as leaders, even when they're incompetent, clueless, etc.  Gregariousness does not equal leadership.  There is much to the quiet leader.

The questions that are asked are quiet eye opening.     

Cool Cal our 30th President would fit the Quiet Power Leader....IMO. 

True Believer

Quote from: Kazimierz on November 07, 2013, 09:31:06 pm
Quote from: True Believer on May 27, 2013, 03:36:46 pm
Looks good piggie.

This is my local library right now. http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/06/buildings/lbd/growing-room-st-louis-public-librarys-grand-central-renovation/#_

Right now, my wife and I have decided to go Faulkner for a while. Last year we re-Hemingway-ed. Now it's time for Faulkner. I will start with Absalom Absalom, then to As I Lay Dying.

My wife worked through college (Ole Miss) at the historic home of William Faulkner. And, I would recommend that everyone listen or read his Nobel Prize speech, it is great.

Went on a tour of his home last year.  Wonderful time!  I love Faulkner!

HorseFeathers

I was just happy to read the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin this summer...just now around half way through A Dance with Dragons...

Texarkana_Piggie

reading Christmas Bliss by mary kay andrews right now.  love her books.

DogsWin7

Just completed....Finish Strong-by Dan Green (short book and quotes)

Starting...Ronald Reagan's America by Terry Golway

Texarkana_Piggie

tb, i am on the third book of a series by lisa patton.  it is partially set in memphis.  the first one was whistling dixie in a nor'easter.  the second was yankee doodle dixie and this last one is southern as a second language.  you would probably enjoy them with them being set in your neck of the woods.

Lions84

Been Reading the Bible and a book called the Big Show based on a Bama Boy in the CW.

Texarkana_Piggie

i'm on the new alex cross book by james patterson.  big mistake....lots of lost sleep.

DogsWin7

The Good Divorce- Constance R Ahorns.   Odd title

Texarkana_Piggie

I'm reading the birth of Venus by Sarah dunant. I like her books. Historical fictions based on real people. This one set during the late 1490s

True Believer

Oooohhh   Thanks TP!!   I will most certainly check her books out!! 

Texarkana_Piggie

i bought patricia corn well's new scarpetta novel today.  i have a bout 3 news one on my ibooks account i have bought and not read yet.  i can't wait until spring break so i can read all week!

Texarkana_Piggie

i started inferno last night.  good grief!  big mistake!  could not put it down!  read until midnight then i was really sleepy this morning!!

Lions84

Jim Dent got a couple of new ones I have not read yet so I am going to try and find and read them.

Texarkana_Piggie

while sitting at the hospital, i have read divergent and insurgent.  good reads.  i'm on the third one, alliegent, now. 

DogsWin7

A friend is trying to tempt me into reading 50 Shades of Grey.  All they can talk about. 

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on April 07, 2014, 01:56:26 pm
A friend is trying to tempt me into reading 50 Shades of Grey.  All they can talk about. 

Read those.  It was a decent story but about 1/4 way into the second one I started skipping all the nasty stuff. Got boring. 

sixthman

I have some gift books I'm going to have to read this summer. The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, The Uncle Si book, and Skipping Christmas.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 07, 2014, 05:50:23 pm

Read those.  It was a decent story but about 1/4 way into the second one I started skipping all the nasty stuff. Got boring.

I wondered that.  Thanks.

Have you ever read any books by Emily Nicholson?    I only have heard of her Counting on Love books and don't know anything about her writings other than apparently she writes Romance Novels?   

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on April 10, 2014, 08:20:23 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 07, 2014, 05:50:23 pm

I wondered that.  Thanks.

Have you ever read any books by Emily Nicholson?    I only have heard of her Counting on Love books and don't know anything about her writings other than apparently she writes Romance Novels?   

no i haven't read her.

Lions84

There is a never ending cycle of Civil War Books coming out this year so I will be looking at them.

WPWells

God, Guns, Grits, and Gravy by Mike Huckabee

Lions84

Just the Bible and the Newspapers.

HorseFeathers

ReReading the Shannara series by Terry Brooks from the word and the void trilogy part of it...

Lions84

Toying with the Idea of re reading Some Classics like Romo and Juliet , this summer.

Texarkana_Piggie

in the past month or so i have read the new alex cross that came out last fall, flesh and blood by patricia cornwell, gray mountain and the racketeer by john grisham.  now i'm reading crooked letter, crooked letter.  can't remember the author.

Lions84

Reading the Bible and with getting a new AC unit and a big shop bill on the 04 Santa Fe I won't be buying any but I will raid the city library and see what is new in 2 weeks.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas