• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After 4 years...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, November 28, 2016, 07:27:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you happy with the football program?

Heck yeah! CBB for President!
2 (9.5%)
He's is doing well...
3 (14.3%)
Average Job...
2 (9.5%)
Give him one more year...
2 (9.5%)
Get rid of some of the staff...
9 (42.9%)
Show him the door tomorrow...
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: December 08, 2016, 07:27:59 pm

Coach Venny Slocombe

Let's see what the people say Rice...just for fun... ;D

bdubyab60

Average job. Should one more year even be an option since he is going to be here another year barring a motorcycle accident

beach bum

Well considering 8 wins is the absolute top out for next year don't expect a whole lot next year.... 7-5 is likely again and maybe even 6-6. That is with 3 gimme games against Florida A&M, Coastal Carolina, and New Mexico State.

LRRandy

It is puzzling. The inconsistency is what leaves you scratching your head. I do believe Bert to be a good football coach. Starting slow then finishing very strong for two seasons and then the yo-yo that was this season makes you wonder where the disconnect is. Arkansas has never and will never be a recruiting powerhouse. Yet, there have been coaches that have managed to put the Hogs in the national conversation. I'm not saying he is incapable of doing it but there seems to be an issue with putting all the pieces together for a whole season. Quite the conundrum.

cuckoobird

beach bum

Bring in Chip Kelly... He stinks in the NFL because his scheme is not meant for the pro game but he is perfect at the college level.

Made

Dude I am loving this....I can actually watch Pig games with him at the helm :) Just don't bring back Petrino I hated myself every time I had to stomach through a game.

Bring back John L. Smith please Loved watching games then :)

Jacketman65

If the pigs are going to play at this level, then yes they should play
ASU every year.  At least the two of them will have a legitimate sell out!

bleudog

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on December 01, 2016, 08:20:57 pm
http://hogcountryonline.com/you-may-not-like-crowes-conclusions-but-is-he-really-wrong/
It is spot on...we are mediocre at best. If everyone is okay with being that way then fine. I don't know why anyone would want to be average though...

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 02, 2016, 12:57:41 pm
It is spot on...we are mediocre at best. If everyone is okay with being that way then fine. I don't know why anyone would want to be average though...

This.... Same goes for basketball too this year. I have never really cared for BB with his mouth. I have always thought of Mike Anderson as a great person and I want to see him succeed more than anyone. If we don't get in the NCAA tourney this year I hate to say it but its time to move on from MA too. I really hate to say that about him.

mack

Quote from: beach bum on December 02, 2016, 01:51:11 pm
This.... Same goes for basketball too this year. I have never really cared for BB with his mouth. I have always thought of Mike Anderson as a great person and I want to see him succeed more than anyone. If we don't get in the NCAA tourney this year I hate to say it but its time to move on from MA too. I really hate to say that about him.

Then don't say it.....

I'm dumbfounded by any of you guys that seem to think we should be competing for a championship every other year.  That's basically how you act.  We're not Alabama, Auburn, Florida or LSU. Let's not mention OM and TN who have better recruiting bases.   Their recruiting allows them to think like that.  Ours doesn't.  When has any UA coach recruited the number of 4/5s that those programs have?  We should probably compete for an SEC championship every six years or so.  If he doesn't by then, it'll take care of itself.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: mack on December 02, 2016, 08:38:07 pm
Then don't say it.....

I'm dumbfounded by any of you guys that seem to think we should be competing for a championship every other year.  That's basically how you act.  We're not Alabama, Auburn, Florida or LSU. Let's not mention OM and TN who have better recruiting bases.   Their recruiting allows them to think like that.  Ours doesn't.  When has any UA coach recruited the number of 4/5s that those programs have?  We should probably compete for an SEC championship every six years or so.  If he doesn't by then, it'll take care of itself.
I'm dumbfounded that you think we can't be good. Not Alabama good, but good. We should compete. CBP proved that. I guess after this game tonight Mack you think we should give CBB another extension? This kind of "Average" attitude is confusing to me. I never want to be average...sheeeeeezzzzz...

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 29, 2016, 08:35:05 pm
I'm dumbfounded that you think we can't be good. Not Alabama good, but good. We should compete. CBP proved that. I guess after this game tonight Mack you think we should give CBB another extension? This kind of "Average" attitude is confusing to me. I never want to be average...sheeeeeezzzzz...
bring back CBP

cuckoobird

After 4 years of Bert, I'm now boycotting the football program until he's fired

mack

I'm sure your contribution to the Foundation will be sorely missed🙄

Brian G

mack

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 29, 2016, 08:35:05 pm

At times we are pretty good.  We've been good under Nutt, under Petrino and at times under Bielema.  Never Alabama good, but good.  We're not consistent.  You jump off and on the bandwagon more than anyone on here.  Just get on or off and stay there.

mack

Romeo

I can't think of a more worse finish to a season. A complete collapse in the second half, along with two seniors acting out of character.

fastdrop

fastdrop

Quote from: mack on December 29, 2016, 09:52:14 pm
And here...
You need to get your post in.... March is just around the corner.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 29, 2016, 09:45:59 pm
I'm sure your contribution to the Foundation will be sorely missed🙄

He's never been to a game, but at least you won't have to read anything in here for the next two years, since he's boycotting the football program.

WPWells

I was there. I saw it unfold. I'm still a fan.

cuckoobird

Never been to a game? I guess you don't understand a boycott, I'm just not supporting them in any fashion other than the 50 cents of my state taxes. I can still talk about them and suggest to others to join me

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 29, 2016, 11:00:36 pm
Never been to a game? I guess you don't understand a boycott, I'm just not supporting them in any fashion other than the 50 cents of my state taxes. I can still talk about them and suggest to others to join me

So, the same as you've been doing for years, gotcha.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Romeo on December 29, 2016, 10:05:11 pm
I can't think of a more worse finish to a season. A complete collapse in the second half, along with two seniors acting out of character.
a complete disaster

bdubyab60

I'll always be a Hog fan. But at points this season this has been tough to watch. Especially these last two games, both losses that should not have happened. Unacceptable.

I don't know what's going on at halftime but whatever it is needs fixed. They have an entire off season to do it. Consistently, inconsistent all year.

AA is tough as nails but I question his leadership. Yeah you just got sacked. Don't put your stinking head down and walk off the field. Get in the lines A and then in BB's. Once he got his head down that game was over.

Like I said before record wise we finished about how I thought we would. But disappointed in how we looked doing it. Except for a few quarters this team really never showed strides of improvement all year. Basically stayed flat all year.

I mean CBB walking in at half says, we are gonna finish this thing. VT comes out fired up and we come out looking like we need a stinking safe space or something and get just straight blown out and quit. That is very disappointing and it happened several times this year

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 29, 2016, 11:30:14 pm
I'll always be a Hog fan. But at points this season this has been tough to watch. Especially these last two games, both losses that should not have happened. Unacceptable.

I don't know what's going on at halftime but whatever it is needs fixed. They have an entire off season to do it. Consistently, inconsistent all year.

AA is tough as nails but I question his leadership. Yeah you just got sacked. Don't put your stinking head down and walk off the field. Get in the lines A and then in BB's. Once he got his head down that game was over.

Like I said before record wise we finished about how I thought we would. But disappointed in how we looked doing it. Except for a few quarters this team really never showed strides of improvement all year. Basically stayed flat all year.

I mean CBB walking in at half says, we are gonna finish this thing. VT comes out fired up and we come out looking like we need a stinking safe space or something and get just straight blown out and quit. That is very disappointing and it happened several times this year
exactly no excuse for it no leadership at all.i'm a hog fan but some changes need to be made

fastdrop

When enough is not enough. I guess he thought Santa did not bring him enough. List of the items he stole.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/jeremy-sprinkle-cited-police-attempting-shoplift-8-items-belk-store

AirWarren

I love the Razorbacks.

But apathy has finally set in for me. It's taken 31 years. Nothing has changed in 31 years. We are what we are. And it will never be greatness.

Long live 1964.

smallybells

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 29, 2016, 11:30:14 pm

What is going on at halftime is teams are making adjustments and we do nothing.

bdubyab60

Quote from: smallybells on December 30, 2016, 09:03:42 am
What is going on at halftime is teams are making adjustments and we do nothing.
Its more than that.

beach bum

LRRandy

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2016, 09:53:40 am
Its more than that.
yeah, you're right. I've had a hard time putting my finger on it. From the shoplifting to the spitting to the quitting it is a team wide character issue. Being Bret Bielema is all encompassing. The program takes on the character a head coach demands. Sulking off to the side line while the ship is sinking may tell you all that you need to know about Berts management style. He struggles with adversity. So does his team. I still believe that he is a good football coach. His team was prepared for the start of the game. There are flaws in how he handles or lacks to react to another teams actions. This has happened over and over. It's who he is. It's who he will always be.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2016, 10:37:45 am
yeah, you're right. I've had a hard time putting my finger on it. From the shoplifting to the spitting to the quitting it is a team wide character issue. Being Bret Bielema is all encompassing. The program takes on the character a head coach demands. Sulking off to the side line while the ship is sinking may tell you all that you need to know about Berts management style. He struggles with adversity. So does his team. I still believe that he is a good football coach. His team was prepared for the start of the game. There are flaws in how he handles or lacks to react to another teams actions. This has happened over and over. It's who he is. It's who he will always be.

If you were at the game, and I know you weren't, he was on the players, had them gathered up a couple of times in the second half giving a stern talking, and taking with his coaches. I think he lets his co-coordinators coach their side with minimal input, but that's been his style from the beginning.

cuckoobird

If he lets his coordinators coach their side of the ball with minimum input,what does he do to earn his $4.6 million a year?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:01:57 pm
If he lets his coordinators coach their side of the ball with minimum input,what does he do to earn his $4.6 million a year?

Why, according to some, he gets that for wearing flip flops during the week.

cuckoobird

Apparently so because the product on the field is not a representative of what he gets paid

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 06:07:06 pm
Apparently so because the product on the field is not a representative of what he gets paid

Lots of coaches don't. The coach at Virginia this year was paid $1.2M/win. Brother Hugh was worse than Bret this year, I can post the link with $/wins if you'd like.

cuckoobird

No need for posting the link, I'm aware there are other programs struggling. If you want to post a link, find one comparing us to winning programs. After all, we want to win not lose, right? It seems it's OK to compare us to losing teams but when we compare us to winning teams, the excuse he is well we aren't so and so

ricepig

Correct, but history isn't on our side since 1992. Firing a coach every five years doesn't build a program either. The team that beat us last night had the same coach for 30 years, many of them at the beginning weren't very good. Bret will get two more years to prove he can do it, or we'll be in the search mode again.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 07:30:01 pm
Correct, but history isn't on our side since 1992. Firing a coach every five years doesn't build a program either. The team that beat us last night had the same coach for 30 years, many of them at the beginning weren't very good. Bret will get two more years to prove he can do it, or we'll be in the search mode again.

If you keep making this much sense, I may have to come back full time just to read your stuff.....

cuckoobird

Ok there you go making comparisons again so I'll give you one of a winner. The university of miami had 4 coaches in 20 years and 4 national titles. That makes sense too mack. Btw, you you smart guys that's a coach every 5 years

cuckoobird

Heck, even ASU can change coaches EVERY year and win conference titles and bowl games.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on December 30, 2016, 10:04:35 pm
Heck, even ASU can change coaches EVERY year and win conference titles and bowl games.

And, ASU has the best talent in their conference on average. We don't, and won't ever, so not really apple's to oranges.

LRRandy

Quote from: ricepig on December 30, 2016, 01:21:29 pm

If you were at the game, and I know you weren't, he was on the players, had them gathered up a couple of times in the second half giving a stern talking, and taking with his coaches. I think he lets his co-coordinators coach their side with minimal input, but that's been his style from the beginning.
i was referring to him standing off by himself when the implosion was happening. You're right, you can't see everything going on from the barca lounger. What I have seen is a team that has a losing record over the last 50 games.  A team that gets outplayed and out coached. He is paid big money for little results and is regressing instead of progressing. Enjoy the next two years of mediocrity. What was it be said. Sit back and watch? Still watching.

ricepig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 30, 2016, 10:11:41 pm
i was referring to him standing off by himself when the implosion was happening. You're right, you can't see everything going on from the barca lounger. What I have seen is a team that has a losing record over the last 50 games.  A team that gets outplayed and out coached. He is paid big money for little results and is regressing instead of progressing. Enjoy the next two years of mediocrity. What was it be said. Sit back and watch? Still watching.

And then there would be a TV timeout and he wasn't by himself, again, unless you see it all, you only see what TV shows you. I'm glad you can do math, I wasn't sure.

cuckoobird

No comment to the Miami comparison rice? I guess no need since it destroyed your theory of you can't change coaches every 5 years...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas