• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Out of bounds on missed basket

Started by mdsjsb, November 21, 2014, 05:40:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mdsjsb

I was watching UCONN vs Dayton from Puerto Rico this afternoon and saw the following.
A Dayton player went up with a layup, missed the shot, went out of bounds due to his momentum, came back in rebounded the ball off the miss before anyone else touched the ball. He then was fouled and shot 2. Was a call missed? I thought that someone had to touch the ball before he could come back in bounds and retrieve the ball.
Any help is appreciated.

sevenof400

As long as the player establishes himself in the court, this sounds correct.  A player that steps off the court, then steps back on the court would be considered in bounds.

If the player jumped back on the court from out of bounds and did not establish an inbounds status then the player would have been considered off the court and the proper call would have been a turn over.

mdsjsb

So if the player touched the ball before touching down on the court he would be considered still out of bounds. THanks for the information.
Love the game. Always something new to learn

BICMUSTANG4LIFE

I think that is the same on a back court violation.  Don't they have to have there feet back down when they catch the ball?   

Rulesman

As it relates to inbounds/out of bounds or front court/back court, the status of an airborne player is where he/she was last in contact with the floor.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas