• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A West Standings Thru Week 9

Started by Chief_Osceola™, October 18, 2014, 01:11:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief_Osceola™

October 18, 2014, 01:11:06 am Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:10:15 am by Chief_Osceola™
Updated through week 8.

1. Maumelle (6-0)
Tiebreaker points: 77
Wins: Harrison (27-14), Clarksville (44-7), Greenbrier (34-20), Vilonia (45-21), Morrilton (19-7), Farmington (24-7)
Losses: None

2. Greenbrier (4-2)
Tiebreaker points: 43
Wins: Farmington (56-31), Little Rock Christian (28-21), Harrison (48-38), Clarksville (56-19)
Losses: Morrilton (20-28), Maumelle (20-34)

3. Harrison (4-2)
Tiebreaker points: 52
Wins: Little Rock Christian (43-21), Morrilton (44-29), Clarksville (63-14), Vilonia (41-28)
Losses: Maumelle (14-27), Greenbrier (38-48)

4. Little Rock Christian (4-2)
Tiebreaker Points: 40
Wins: Farmington (42-26), Vilonia (28-12), Clarksville (54-7), Morrilton (35-34)
Losses: Harrison (21-43), Greenbrier (21-28)

5. Vilonia (3-3)
Tiebreaker Points: 33
Wins: Clarksville (36-18), Morrilton (28-14), Farmington (27-20)
Losses: Little Rock Christian (12-28), Maumelle (21-45), Harrison (28-41)

6. Morrilton (2-4)
Tiebreaker Points: 15
Wins: Greenbrier (28-20), Farmington (35-28)
Losses: Vilonia (14-28), Harrison (29-44), Maumelle (7-19), Little Rock Christian (34-35)

7. Farmington (1-5)
Tiebreaker Points: 13
Wins: Clarksville (22-0)
Losses: Little Rock Christian (26-42), Greenbrier (31-56), Morrilton (28-35), Vilonia (20-27), Maumelle (7-24)

8. Clarksville (0-6)
Tiebreaker points: 0
Wins: None
Losses: Vilonia (18-36), Maumelle (7-44), Farmington (0-22), Harrison (14-63), LRC (7-54), Greenbrier (19-56)

Things have cleared up a lot after week 9.  Morrilton, Farmington, and Clarksville are all mathematically eliminated.  That said, there are still some interesting scenarios.  The Greenbrier/Vilonia game will be big, as will the Maumelle/LRC game.  If Maumelle and Vilonia win, there will be a 3-way tie for the last 2 spots, and it will come down to points.  If LRC beats Maumelle, the winner of the Greenbrier/Vilonia game is in and the loser is out.  This is going on the assumption that Harrison beats Farmington.  The craziest scenario would be if Harrison, Greenbrier, and LRC all lose.  Then there will be 4 teams at 4-3 with 3 spots remaining.  In that situation, Harrison would be the 2 seed with 52 points, Vilonia would have to win by 8 points to get the 4 seed and 11 points to get the 3 seed.  If they win by less than 8, they'd be out.

I think this is correct, but if anything is wrong then feel free to correct me.  I think the only 2 givens are that Maumelle is the 1 seed and Harrison is in regardless of whether they win or lose.

ozarko

Hi Chief, I've not been around Arkansas high school football very long and I'm wondering how to they calculate tiebreaker points?

Ozarko

AT

Quote from: ozarko on October 19, 2014, 05:20:48 pm
Hi Chief, I've not been around Arkansas high school football very long and I'm wondering how to they calculate tiebreaker points?

Ozarko

Not sure when Chief will answer, but tiebreaker points are calculated by the margin of victory in games your team wins, but only up to 13 points.

For instance, if Maumelle was to beat Morrilton 28-21, Maumelle would receive 7 tiebreaker points.

If Maumelle were to win 28-15, Maumelle would receive 13 tiebreaker points. If they were to win 29-15, they would still only receive 13 points.

Go Postal

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it go head to head first, then tiebreaker points?

DogsWin7

Quote from: ozarko on October 19, 2014, 05:20:48 pm

Ozarko
Welcome to FF!  :)

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on October 19, 2014, 07:01:14 pm
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it go head to head first, then tiebreaker points?

Only in the event of a 2-way I think. If more than 2 teams are tied, tiebreaker points are used to eliminate all but 2, then head-to-head comes into play. If I remember correctly...

Go Postal

Okay guys, I looked it up.  I was thinking of basketball, baseball and soccer tie breaker rules with head to head.  Here is the tiebreaker rules for football...

Rule 5. CONFERENCE TIES IN FOOTBALL
A. If two teams tie and one of the teams has defeated the other in a regular schedule conference game, the winner shall be declared the conference play-off representative. Three or more tied teams shall first be considered in sets of two-way ties.
B. If two teams tie and the tied teams split or have not played each other in a conference game (no round robin), the team with the greater sum of winning margins, using the following point system, shall be the play-off representative.
C. If more than two teams remain tied after applying (1) above, the following point system shall be used to eliminate all but two teams. Tabulate the sum of the winning margins of each team's conference games as indicated in the following:
1. If the margin of victory is more than 13 points, only 13 points shall count.
2. Losses shall be tallied as 0 (zero) points.
3. Forfeited games. Offended teams shall receive 13 points when tabulating the sum of the winning margins for breaking conference ties.
D. After tabulating the sum of the winning margins, all teams except the two with the greater sum shall be eliminated and the selection process shall begin again with paragraph (A).
E. If teams remain tied after the above procedures are applied, the play-off representative shall be determined by a coin toss. The coin toss, supervised by the Executive Director, shall be used to eliminate all but two teams and then begin again with paragraph (A).
F. In the event the conference is eligible for more than one play-off representative, each subsequent playoff representative shall be chosen by reapplying the procedures above.
G. All conferences will use the AAA adopted procedures for breaking ties that occur in the order of standings when round robin schedules are completed.

ozarko

Thanks for the information!  I was good until I started reading Go Postal's post and I felt like I was back in college, studying for an exam.  :)  And thank you for the welcome, DieHard.

Chief_Osceola™

Chief_Osceola™

The remaining schedules for each team:

1. Maumelle:  Farmington, LRC

2. Harrison: @Vilonia, Farmington

3. Little Rock Christian: Morrilton, @Maumelle

4. Vilonia: Harrison, @Greenbrier

5. Greenbrier: Clarksville, Vilonia

6. Morrilton: @Little Rock Christian, Clarksville

7. Farmington: @Maumelle, @Harrison

8. Clarksville: @Greenbrier, @Morrilton

Now the what-if's and speculation can begin.  These last 2 weeks are gonna be huge.  Farmington and Clarksville are eliminated, but can still play spoiler.  Well, moreso for Farmington, since I don't see Clarksville even being competitive in their final 2 games.  I don't even want to try to think of all the scenarios that will have to happen for each team to get in.  I will probably do that next week when the dust clears a little more.  Right now the only for sure things are that if Maumelle wins one more, they are the conference champs and will have the 1 seed, and Clarksville is eliminated from consideration.  If Harrison wins out, they are at worst the 2 seed.  The top 5 teams still pretty much control their playoff destiny, and Morrilton while not mathematically out, will need some help.

I don't know, now I've piqued my own interest and may go ahead and do scenarios.

AT

Greenbrier has the most optimal remaining schedule out of the #2-#6 teams in the conference. Panthers look like they could grab that 2 seed and home field advantage in the 1st round

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 25, 2014, 02:21:24 pm
Greenbrier has the most optimal remaining schedule out of the #2-#6 teams in the conference. Panthers look like they could grab that 2 seed and home field advantage in the 1st round

Yep, and Vilonia and LRC have the toughest remaining schedules. Harrison @ Vilonia could have a huge impact on the final standings. Morrilton @ LRC is also an important game.

sevenof400

Let me throw a thought or two in on this....

The remaining schedules for each team with game results I'd feel fairly comfortable place a wager of significance to me on the outcome..

1. Maumelle 7-0:  Farmington (W), LRC (W)

2. Greenbrier 4-2: Clarksville (W), Vilonia
2. Harrison 4-2: @Vilonia, Farmington (W)

4. Vilonia 3-2: Harrison, @Greenbrier

5. Little Rock Christian 3-3: Morrilton, @Maumelle (L)
5. Morrilton 3-3: @Little Rock Christian, Clarksville (W)

The conclusion coming to light at this point is that 4 wins (by itself) may not be enough to secure a playoff spot.  Tiebreaker points are becoming more likely to matter.  But let's wait a moment there...

This week's LR Christian - Morrilton game is essentially a playoff game - not so much that the winner is assured of the playoffs but rather the loser will be eliminated.  A LR Christian win helps Greenbrier (who beat LR Christian) and a Morrilton win helps Vilonia (who beat Morrilton) in head to head situations. 

Vilonia clearly has the hardest finishing pair of games and unless they win both games, their playoff status is a long shot especially if LR Christian beats Morrilton this week. 

We are staring the distinct possibility of four teams finishing at 4-3 with three playoff spots remaining. 

bobcat81

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 25, 2014, 02:18:39 pm
The remaining schedules for each team:

1. Maumelle:  Farmington, LRC

2. Harrison: @Vilonia, Farmington

3. Little Rock Christian: Morrilton, @Maumelle

4. Vilonia: Harrison, @Greenbrier

5. Greenbrier: Clarksville, Vilonia

6. Morrilton: @Little Rock Christian, Clarksville

7. Farmington: @Maumelle, @Harrison

8. Clarksville: @Greenbrier, @Morrilton

Now the what-if's and speculation can begin.  These last 2 weeks are gonna be huge.  Farmington and Clarksville are eliminated, but can still play spoiler.  Well, moreso for Farmington, since I don't see Clarksville even being competitive in their final 2 games.  I don't even want to try to think of all the scenarios that will have to happen for each team to get in.  I will probably do that next week when the dust clears a little more.  Right now the only for sure things are that if Maumelle wins one more, they are the conference champs and will have the 1 seed, and Clarksville is eliminated from consideration.  If Harrison wins out, they are at worst the 2 seed. The top 5 teams still pretty much control their playoff destiny, and Morrilton while not mathematically out, will need some help.

I don't know, now I've piqued my own interest and may go ahead and do scenarios.
Actually if Greenbrier was to win out as well, then Greenbrier would be the number 2 since it holds the head-to-head over Harrison, and LR Christian if it were to win out.  I think. ???

Chief_Osceola™

Yes, that was a typo - I meant to say Greenbrier.  I think even if Greenbrier, Harrison, and LRC all win out then Greenbrier will be the 2 seed.  Greenbrier and Harrison both own head to head over LRC, and Greenbrier owns head to head against Harrison. Unless tiebreaker points come into consideration, then nobody will know until after the week 10 games.  Thanks for catching that.

Vilonia could really be the fly in the ointment these next 2 weeks.

bobcat81

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 25, 2014, 04:35:16 pm
Yes, that was a typo - I meant to say Greenbrier.  I think even if Greenbrier, Harrison, and LRC all win out then Greenbrier will be the 2 seed.  Greenbrier and Harrison both own head to head over LRC, and Greenbrier owns head to head against Harrison. Unless tiebreaker points come into consideration, then nobody will know until after the week 10 games.  Thanks for catching that.

Vilonia could really be the fly in the ointment these next 2 weeks.
I believe that's correct.  If one team has beaten the other two in a three way tie, they are in regardless of points.

No problem on the clarification - it's easy to type the wrong team as we're thinking through all the different scenarios. In fact it may have changed while we're typing it.   ;D

Chief_Osceola™

Updated thru week 9.  It's getting real interesting.  4 teams still mathematically alive for the final 3 spots.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas