• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And God Made A Dog.

Started by True Believer, February 05, 2014, 09:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

I lost my best buddy a few weeks ago.  Poncho was 13 almost 14 years old.  He kept looking at me like "Help Me".   He was so sick.  Kidney Failure we found out at the vets.  I swear when the vet gave him the shot he stood straight up and looked at him like "Thank You!".  I miss him so very much and no one will ever replace him.  One of the best friends I have ever had.  With me through some really bad times.  But he was always there for me. 

One of my human friend's sent me this video.  It made me cry and laugh. 

So for Poncho and all who love dogs.

And then God Made a Dog.

Love you little man.  Always.  So for being so sappy.  I just still miss him so very much.

Kazimierz

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are so tough to lose... they love unconditionally.

The Mrs. and I have a 12 year old Greyhound that we adopted from the West Memphis Greyhound track in 2006.  She is now 12 and (knock on wood) in great health.  But, when we adopted her they said -- "if you can get her to 10-12 years, you've done well."

I am not looking forward to putting her down in the coming years.

True Believer

It's one of the hardest things in life to do.  But it was the right thing to do.  Scout my lab looked for him a few days afterwards. That was hard. 

True Believer

Kazimierz congrats on adopting. 

No one should EVER buy a pet.  Rescue dogs are the best.   If everyone would just spay or neuter we would not have the pounds, shelters and rescue overloaded with animals.   Be a responsible pet owner.  Not a freaking idiot. 

I am holding off getting another right now.  I still have my cats and Scout.  And my daughter adopted a crazy boxer/lab mix pup.   He is helping me fill that big old hole Poncho left.  He's not Poncho but he makes me laugh.

I don't understand people who don't like animals.  I guess they don't understand why I get up in the freezing and extreme heat all  hours of the night to let them out.  Why I let them give me big sloppy kisses.  Why I have to work extra hard at keeping the house clean.  Why I keep the trash can in the garage so the pup won't get in it.  Oh and the toliet paper is not on the roller right now because he loves to shred it.  Why I spend I don't know how much in food and vet bills.  Why I come to work with a  roly brush to get the dog and cat hair off.

I do it because they give me unconditional love.  They make me happy.  Thank God for pets!

HorseFeathers

Does bringing home strays count as adopting pets?....Only paid for one dog in my life...and that was because of the Pug I brought home from work one day that my wife fell in love with died, and I couldn't stand her moping around.....other than that....of my 3 other dogs..One is a stray I brought home from work. One is a rescue from a breeder that didn't want him anymore and wasn't taking care of the poor guy. And my daughter's puppy, was the product of an accidental breeding of one that we were/and my in-laws, who are pretty good about these things, thought couldn't be bred anymore...of course it doesn't help that the neighbors up the road, "accidently" let their inside male dog out every single day....

Breitontime

Sorry to hear it, TB.

My little girl is going on 9 months. Hopefully I get another 10-15 years with her.

True Believer

Yes HF. Strays count. All of my cats were. 

Thanks Bre.  I hope you do too. 

True Believer

February 06, 2014, 06:52:18 pm #7 Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:43:01 pm by True Believer
Quote from: True Believer on February 06, 2014, 06:48:46 pm

And if the neighbors had their dog neutered that would not have happened.

There are a lot of dogs and cats that need good homes.  I will get another some day.  I am thinking of adopting an older dog.  I don't need a puppy. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: True Believer on February 06, 2014, 06:52:18 pm

There is a lot of dogs and cats that need good homes.  I will get another some day.  I am thinking of adopting an older dog.  I don't need a puppy. 

Haven't had any of my dogs fixed...but we try to be preventive on the breeding situation. I also don't resort to dumping them in the river or something either....

True Believer

February 06, 2014, 07:28:27 pm #9 Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 07:44:26 pm by True Believer
Quote from: HF on February 06, 2014, 07:07:29 pm
Quote from: True Believer on February 06, 2014, 06:52:18 pm

There is a lot of dogs and cats that need good homes.  I will get another some day.  I am thinking of adopting an older dog.  I don't need a puppy. 

Haven't had any of my dogs fixed...but we try to be preventive on the breeding situation. I also don't resort to dumping them in the river or something either....

Good because karma is a .....    :)  I know you wouldn't.  I would like to throw people who do that in the wilderness with no food and no shelter and no way to get help.  Idiots.  There is a hot place for those people.  How can you mistreat an anmial.

All of mine are.  You can find low cost clinics.   

True Believer

Just don't get mad at them if they do have puppies.  They are animals.  We are suppose to be smarter than them.

I'm proud that you adopt. 

Lions84

Sorry for your Loss ! Losing any pet is tough but Dogs and Cats are the worse for me.

True Believer

Thanks!   Each day is better.  Time does heal.  :) 

DogsWin7

A picture of a dog like I had for almost 15 years came across Facebook the other day...and as soon I seen it, tears came in my eyes and I smiled.  I still miss my dog.

I'm sorry TB.   

athletic supporter

Not that it matters, but what breed was Poncho?

True Believer

He was a long haired chihuahua.  He was not your typical trembling snarky chihuahua.  He was always happy.  Not afraid of anything.  He thought he was a Great Dane.  At his heaviest weighed 10 lbs.  Usually 6-8 lbs.

Today was kinda hard.  He hated snow.  I thought about him everytime I let Scout out today because if it snowed he would stop and look up at me like "Really?".   When someone has been in your life for 13 years it takes a while to stop remembering every little thing. 

Fighing the urge to get another right now.  I won't ever be able to replace him.  I think Scout might miss him but I know Scout enjoys being the only child right now.  He is getting a lot more attention.   

Lions84

If a man got a Good Dog and a Good Wife he has a Blessed Life.

AirWarren

Quote from: Lions84 on April 30, 2014, 09:50:26 am
If a man got a Good Dog and a Good Wife he has a Blessed Life.

Amen.

sevenof400

I just had to do this with my lab of 15 years.  One of the hardest things I have ever had to do. 

True Believer

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 30, 2014, 11:51:20 am
Reminds me of this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

LOL....I love it!!   I did not get another dog.  However my daughter did.  A lab/boxer.   Holy heck!!!    And now somehow I have him??????   Yes.

I told her she did not have time for a puppy.  But she ignored me and then when he became too much for her well......he's mine I guess.

He is the most hyper crazy pants dog I have ever had.  I do not have the energy it takes to wear him out.  He jumps, chews, runs, terrorizes the cats and my poor old lab.   Nothing is safe.  He has chewed up untold number of rolls of toilet paper, shoes, paper towels, textbooks, DVD's, library books and sticks. 

I am exhausted.  Yet he has my heart and I love him even though he is knuckle head.  He's smart too.  Learns quick that when I come in and he has chewed something up, under the bed he goes!

Yes he has all kinds of chewies and toys.  I pray he grows out of it soon!!!!

True Believer

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2014, 05:15:10 pm
I just had to do this with my lab of 15 years.  One of the hardest things I have ever had to do. 

I am truly from the bottom of my heart so very sorry.  Just know that you did it because you loved your lab so much.  It doesn't make it any easier.  I still miss my Ponchie. 

Lions84

I told the wife once our daughter goes to college I am getting a dog.

True Believer

It helps with the empty nest.  At least it did for me. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Believer on September 04, 2014, 08:24:14 pm
At least it did for me. 

Must hurt to see the grandkids off to college.

hehe

True Believer

I wish I had some grandkids.   

Lions84

Dogs and Cats are great and it so much fun to see them greet you when you get home. 

True Believer

My lab turns 11 tomorrow.  He was born 9/11/03.   My boxer turns 1.  Not sure when he was born in September just know the month.

We are having a party for them.  No I don't have a life...lol.

But since I don't have grandkids yet the dogs will have to do for now.  :) 

Ventman

Quote from: True Believer on February 06, 2014, 05:35:01 am
Kazimierz congrats on adopting. 

No one should EVER buy a pet.  Rescue dogs are the best.   If everyone would just spay or neuter we would not have the pounds, shelters and rescue overloaded with animals.   Be a responsible pet owner.  Not a freaking idiot. 

I am holding off getting another right now.  I still have my cats and Scout.  And my daughter adopted a crazy boxer/lab mix pup.   He is helping me fill that big old hole Poncho left.  He's not Poncho but he makes me laugh.

I don't understand people who don't like animals.  I guess they don't understand why I get up in the freezing and extreme heat all  hours of the night to let them out.  Why I let them give me big sloppy kisses.  Why I have to work extra hard at keeping the house clean.  Why I keep the trash can in the garage so the pup won't get in it.  Oh and the toliet paper is not on the roller right now because he loves to shred it.  Why I spend I don't know how much in food and vet bills.  Why I come to work with a  roly brush to get the dog and cat hair off.

I do it because they give me unconditional love.  They make me happy.  Thank God for pets!
You said it best when you said unconditional love. A dog will be your friend when no one else will! We just lost our little dog we had for 13 years. It's tough but I know how you feel.

True Believer

I'm so sorry about your baby.   It's been almost a year now.  Scout is still clicking along.  He's had some back issues but he's doing well right now.  He's 11.  Buck.  I don't even know what to say about him.  He's more my dog now then my daughter.   He's a clown just like a boxer.  And a chewer like a lab.  But I love him so much.  He catches on really quickly.   But I am taking him to classes.   

He's a great dog. 

Always adopt.  There are so many who need our hearts!!!   

Lions84

Yep Adopt or find them from folks who got a surprise.

Ventman

Quote from: True Believer on February 05, 2014, 09:32:42 pm
I lost my best buddy a few weeks ago.  Poncho was 13 almost 14 years old.  He kept looking at me like "Help Me".   He was so sick.  Kidney Failure we found out at the vets.  I swear when the vet gave him the shot he stood straight up and looked at him like "Thank You!".  I miss him so very much and no one will ever replace him.  One of the best friends I have ever had.  With me through some really bad times.  But he was always there for me. 

One of my human friend's sent me this video.  It made me cry and laugh. 

So for Poncho and all who love dogs.

And then God Made a Dog.

Love you little man.  Always.  So for being so sappy.  I just still miss him so very much.

There is nothing like a good dog! Sorry for your lose! I believe all dogs go to heaven!

True Believer

Today is my Scout's 12th birthday.  The pups annoy him but he is still getting around really well.  We had a pup cake for him. 

Lions84

Lions84

Our Momma Cat is now 9 years old and the Tomcat is 6 .

Legend

I had a Boston for 13 years and it started getting really sick. My son was about to be born and the day before he was born Fred started gettign worse. Took an hour to get down the hallway and was trying to hide. We had to end up taking him to the vet and put to sleep. 8 hours later my sons mother water broke. The vet said that the dog sensed the pregnancy and it was like Fred knew Gavin was about to come and didnt want to be a burden anymore. Gavin was born on Freds Birthday. Its crazy how animals can sense that kind of stuff.

Lions84

Quote from: Legend on October 29, 2015, 02:33:59 pm
I had a Boston for 13 years and it started getting really sick. My son was about to be born and the day before he was born Fred started gettign worse. Took an hour to get down the hallway and was trying to hide. We had to end up taking him to the vet and put to sleep. 8 hours later my sons mother water broke. The vet said that the dog sensed the pregnancy and it was like Fred knew Gavin was about to come and didnt want to be a burden anymore. Gavin was born on Freds Birthday. Its crazy how animals can sense that kind of stuff.

When my Uncle died at age 36 back in 1986 My Grandparent dog and our dog went next door and laid on the door steps till we all got back from the funeral then they went over and spent the day for the next month.

True Believer

They are wonderful creatures.  I can't imagine living without  a dog in my house.  And a few cats too.  :)

fastdrop

I am out of dogs for the first time in my life. Hate to say it but is nice not having to fool around with one.

Legend

Theres a saying that states a dog is the only thing that will love you more than itself!

Lions84

I thought about this thread this week when a friend in Tulsa lost her 14 year old dog.

Lions84

With the Kid off to college I am pushing the wife to let me get a dog.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lions84 on September 22, 2016, 10:20:00 am
With the Kid off to college I am pushing the wife to let me get a dog.

I wish I had that problem....Instead I've learned a word for my wife and pets...NO...she usually gets them anyway though....

Lions84

My Wife pretty firm about dogs so I going to easy around and just slip on in on her when the time is right.

Kazimierz

Put our 14 year old Greyhound down a couple months ago. It's never fun to lose a buddy that's always been by your side. My wife and I adopted her from the Memphis track back when we were in college. She made it through grad school, law school, 9 moves, and countless trips to the lake/beach. We forked over the extra hundred bucks to have her cremated by herself - figured she earned it. We got a really nice engraved wooden box a few weeks back with her ashes inside.

Lions84

Sorry for your loss.   I am still angling on getting a dog.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas