• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rugby Punt

Started by Da Truff, August 22, 2018, 08:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Da Truff

I have a question, if a team uses a rugby style punt where the punter is rolling left or right before he punts the ball is he considered a runner or punter, meaning if you run into or hit him is that roughing the kicker.  I ask because it seems to me that it would be hard as a defender to determine if the punter is going to run the ball or kick it.

arreferee

Quote from: Da Truff on August 22, 2018, 08:37:07 am
I have a question, if a team uses a rugby style punt where the punter is rolling left or right before he punts the ball is he considered a runner or punter, meaning if you run into or hit him is that roughing the kicker.  I ask because it seems to me that it would be hard as a defender to determine if the punter is going to run the ball or kick it.

This can be a tough situation, but the wording in the rules books says something like being reasonably certain a kick will be made.  In other words, if the kicker kicks the ball while running, it's not reasonably certain a kick will be made until it's actually made.  If the kicker is running, stops, and sets up to punt, then it's reasonably certain a kick will be made.  Of course, in the situation where the kicker kicks the ball while running, contact can still be a personal foul it is excessive. Just because it's not reasonably certain a kick will be made doesn't give the defensive player the opportunity for a free shot.  In the plays like this I've seen, it's usually pretty obvious when the kicker is just running to buy time for his team to get down field as opposed to the times it's a fake punt and he's trying to get a first down. 

With that said, if I was a coach, I would tell my players to avoid contact if at all possible after the ball has been kicked.  Reasonable certainty is up to the person interpreting the play so I would do my best to make sure there is no room for doubt.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas